Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I would say that overall through the beta and into right now I have come to like misfortune and at least minor order/prod/growth (like O1 at the very least) when I always used to run L3, because the turmoil events you can get despite running luck now are so devastating that it's pretty much never worth it anymore.

Yeah having some pop peace out from your cap and permanently inhibiting your ability to recruit stuff is stupid as hell.

Where is my enforce serfdom event option illwinter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haven't run into really awful luck events yet, but I haven't run L3, typically run neutral-L2 unless I'm playing Yomi or someone like that where you do turmoil3/Luck3. I stopped taking Misfortune in dom4 because bad poo poo always happened.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

Haven't run into really awful luck events yet, but I haven't run L3, typically run neutral-L2 unless I'm playing Yomi or someone like that where you do turmoil3/Luck3. I stopped taking Misfortune in dom4 because bad poo poo always happened.

I lost a ton of cap pop in a test game with t3 l3. it happens.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ulm's troops are generally pretty good and easy to recruit so it's not a big deal to spam them. If nothing else, they'll absorb damage that might otherwise be going towards your more valuable units. The sacreds are obviously going to be your main units but you can only recruit up to 10 of them per turn so you might as well use any extra gold/resources you've got on units to support them. Plus, even chaff units can be surprisingly effective given the right buffs and Ulm's troops are pretty naturally beefy, even if they don't really have much in the way of special abilities.

One random thing I've found as EA Ulm is to set up axe/forest warriors with the "fire" command, even though they aren't really ranged troops (this also applies to any other melee unit with a throwing weapon). The reason being that if you just give them attack orders, they'll immediately charge into melee without using their throwing axes - with a fire order they'll move up to throwing range, hurl the axes, then charge into melee since they've run out of ammo.

I've been trying to learn the game and how/when to buff with Ulm; I wasn't sure what was a good EA to learn the game with so I just picked a fun one. I don't know if it's optimal, but hey. I'm not sure how to take advantage of stealth being on a whole lot of units, though.

I may have to try one of the other nonhumans next. TDD, or Abysia.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Ulm advice is cool and good, and it's almost like the nation's core strategy writes itself based on the flavortext. I mean, it flat out tells you to take some Drain scales, and the fact that your two good research units also get a trait that lets them ignore Drain penalties is just a gimme.

I like the nation overall, but I'm also only like 10 turns in.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

the actual factual easiest nation in the game is middle nazca because you just take a a7w10 awake frost father and recruit as many condor warriors per turn as you can from your capital and an inca every two turns and have your god read books until he can cast call condors. then you get 20 condors per cast and they attack 4 times a turn and destroy everything and its absurd. you can make a single royal mallqui to site search and then literally just cast divine blessing with a inca with 3 of any sacred on guard commander and your invincible god birds effortlessly destroy everything in front of them

As if that wasn't bad enough when your Inca's die they come back as Mallqui's which can reanimate two ethereal sacred undead versions of Condor Warriors per turn. Because when you're shoving a stick down your opponents throat you might as well make it spiny and extra large.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I've been trying to learn the game and how/when to buff with Ulm; I wasn't sure what was a good EA to learn the game with so I just picked a fun one. I don't know if it's optimal, but hey. I'm not sure how to take advantage of stealth being on a whole lot of units, though.

You could theoretically use it to launch some kind of surgical strike directly against an opponent's capital, but realistically any army large enough to actually pull it off is also probably too large to get there undiscovered in the first place. You might be able to sneak a smaller army around and use it to pick off poorly defended provinces just to deny the income to your opponent, but most likely anything that would actually hurt to lose will have a fort on it.

It's also a lot riskier to pull this kind of thing in Dom 5 since stealth units retreating into enemy territory automatically die rather than just going back to being hidden.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You could theoretically use it to launch some kind of surgical strike directly against an opponent's capital, but realistically any army large enough to actually pull it off is also probably too large to get there undiscovered in the first place. You might be able to sneak a smaller army around and use it to pick off poorly defended provinces just to deny the income to your opponent, but most likely anything that would actually hurt to lose will have a fort on it.

It's also a lot riskier to pull this kind of thing in Dom 5 since stealth units retreating into enemy territory automatically die rather than just going back to being hidden.

Can you force stealth units to not stealth so they act as normal? I forgot to check and now I'm somewhere where I can't. Or should I just let them be stealthed until they're noticed always?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Prism posted:

Can you force stealth units to not stealth so they act as normal? I forgot to check and now I'm somewhere where I can't. Or should I just let them be stealthed until they're noticed always?

it's like shift or ctrl or something when you move to tell them to stop that i forget. push ?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hold ctrl when you do your click and they will get regular move orders.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Prism posted:

I'm not sure how to take advantage of stealth being on a whole lot of units, though.

With Ulm, it's definitely surgical strikes, especially if you know your opponent put a lot of PD on borders, but left the center nice and chewy.

Van and Pan have historically been particularly strong at this, since it's a lot harder to detect single thugs.

Pan theoretically has the added option of accompanying thugs with revelers to create unrest (hurting their income) passively while you bring units into place, though I haven't tested that one recently.

Speaking of Pan, is maenadscream.wav still as bad as it was in 4?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Speaking of Pan, is maenadscream.wav still as bad as it was in 4?

For the 1000th time, this game has sound?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

For the 1000th time, this game has sound?

They actually added better music. Just lol if you don't leave maenad_death_scream.wav and elefant.wav at max volume always.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Van/TNN is the best at sucker punching people since they can't see your glamoured stuff, and especially in dom 5 you can sneak through a prov or too as well on turn 0 of your mega stealth attack, which is extra nice. Pan you can sneakily move, but as soon as your 400 guys are surprisingly not obviously on the border anymore there is only one place they can be (unfortunately for wily people who notice this, 400 pan men will obliterate any kingdom).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
For those few who want non-isometric maps from my map generator, I'd suggest getting the new version (0.7.1, uploaded today) because I hosed up "flat view" dominion overlay in 0.7.0. It's fixed now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Van/TNN is the best at sucker punching people since they can't see your glamoured stuff, and especially in dom 5 you can sneak through a prov or too as well on turn 0 of your mega stealth attack, which is extra nice. Pan you can sneakily move, but as soon as your 400 guys are surprisingly not obviously on the border anymore there is only one place they can be (unfortunately for wily people who notice this, 400 pan men will obliterate any kingdom).

Its also really demoralising to players when half your provinces get taken in a single turn and a glamoured army suddenly appears on your fort: even if they could fight back, many people just give in to dispair.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just lol if you don't leave maenad_death_scream.wav and elefant.wav at max volume always.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

nothing to seehere posted:

Its also really demoralising to players when half your provinces get taken in a single turn and a glamoured army suddenly appears on your fort: even if they could fight back, many people just give in to dispair.

While true, counting on this tends to end your game when you run into someone who slugs it out.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just got back home. What's this? The game is up? Let's see what my great pig people of Marverni are up against.

I can tell I'm allied with Fomoria on turn 0.

Let's see what this ermor picking newb Mukip rolled...

GOOD SO FAR. Let's see what these thrones are...

Christ.

Density fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 1, 2017

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Van and Pan have historically been particularly strong at this, since it's a lot harder to detect single thugs.

nothing to seehere posted:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, I finally bought a Dominions game. Just finished my first game a little while ago (against AI though.) Played Pan and managed to roll up my opponent before I could get to thugs; I'd probably get demolished by a real player though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am pretty proud of that one.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Soul Contracts went from 55 slaves in Dom4 to 90 slaves in Dom5. lol

My LA Abyssia game just went from "there's pressure on my borders but I'm about to crank out the first contract" to "holy gently caress, what the hell am I going to do now?"

boho fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 1, 2017

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

boho posted:

Soul Contracts went from 55 slaves in Dom4 to 90 slaves in Dom5. lol

My LA Abyssia game just went from "there's pressure on my borders but I'm about to crank out the first contract" to "holy gently caress, what the hell am I going to do now?"

yeah but you can forge it with a weaker mage i think right?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hey brainwrinkle if you read this can you delete the user 'thespookydanger' so i can register with my email using my SA username for easier diplomacy? or just change it to sloppymilkshake whichever is easier

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah but you can forge it with a weaker mage i think right?
yeah B3F1 rather than B7F1

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there a way to build bridges across rivers to make crossings, or do I just have to go around?

I've got this start on an Ulm game, and I can only move my armor into two of the four adjacent land provinces because of the rivers. What's the trick here?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Drone posted:

Is there a way to build bridges across rivers to make crossings, or do I just have to go around?

I've got this start on an Ulm game, and I can only move my armor into two of the four adjacent land provinces because of the rivers. What's the trick here?

The trick is that you got owned. You can wait for winter, where the rivers freeze and your armies can walk across. Good luck trying to take that throne province!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

StoryTime posted:

The trick is that you got owned. You can wait for winter, where the rivers freeze and your armies can walk across. Good luck trying to take that throne province!

I can get to the throne province.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Drone posted:

I can get to the throne province.

Yeah, you can, but throne provinces tend to have some serious defenses. You could be looking at like a fire 4 or air 4 mage in there, all kinds of nasty stuff live around thrones.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Drone posted:

And now you know why I spent months making an alternate map generator.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
How do i make my mages default to research right out of the gate? I forgot how to play this in the years since i looked into dom 4.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

malhavok posted:

How do i make my mages default to research right out of the gate? I forgot how to play this in the years since i looked into dom 4.

Preferences->Gameplay->Give orders to new commanders automatically

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dom 3 was the first game I got angry about having to buy a physical copy of because they weren't on Steam. Ahhhhh, the times...
I half-assedly beat some AI, played a single goon PBEM game as Abysia, got my poo poo pushed in almost immediately, and haven't revisited it since.

So 5 seems like a great, no-brainer purchase. THANKS THREAD

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 1, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmm what am I supposed to do with Uruk?

Scales build, expand with chariots, then use blobs of archers with walls of spears, then focus on buff magic for them?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

If you tear down your cap in EA and cast Three red seconds, you can increase your cap mage production by 50%!
Plus added gold, defence and rec points.
Maybe usefull for aby?

edit: the 50e spell is worse ofcourse.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I guess I'll buy this during the next sale and do blitzes or something? Since I don't have time for real games still. I will also take a swing at updating the mod inspector at that point if it isn't already done.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Mmm what am I supposed to do with Uruk?

Scales build, expand with chariots, then use blobs of archers with walls of spears, then focus on buff magic for them?

Honestly I am probably going to take an awake expander with them most likely the Sedhe or whatver with E7, you can only recruit a single chariot a turn so imo you can rely on them for all your expansion needs. Also, their sacreds are honestly not too bad, I might play around and see if I can do a bless build with them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I guess I'll buy this during the next sale and do blitzes or something? Since I don't have time for real games still. I will also take a swing at updating the mod inspector at that point if it isn't already done.
The guy responsible for it is apparently working on the next version right now.

Also hi! We thought something terrible had happened to you at Burning Man due to your disappearance from IRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

MF_James posted:

Honestly I am probably going to take an awake expander with them most likely the Sedhe or whatver with E7, you can only recruit a single chariot a turn so imo you can rely on them for all your expansion needs. Also, their sacreds are honestly not too bad, I might play around and see if I can do a bless build with them.

Yeah. I did an awake e6f5 (? Whatever gets you prot and heat aura) Scorpion King and just blind expanded into wherever I had Dom. Built another force of chariots, and started building some sacreds. Expansion went pretty well, got a limp on my Scorpion after sending him into heavy Cav without lance catchers, but he still won and continued to beat everything I sent him at.

I definitely would lean towards an awake expander with Uruk. Not sure how good I think going for a bless is yet, since it takes ages to amass anything. I think for expansion, your pretender, 1 chariot per turn and everything else spent on archers/blockers is probably fine.

Edit: in my test expansion game I did build sacreds, but it took a really long time to get a decent group amassed and headed for new land. They could be good when you face other players, but might be mutually exclusive with chariots for expending.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 1, 2017