Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Man it is kinda wild to just now realize how kinda Dominionsy K6BD really is. Seven pretender gods, each with a distinct themed nation fighting for supremacy and to reclaim the abandoned throne of God. I think that makes Allison, the main character, into maybe Umor, everyone's favorite god eating Doom Horror.

Whoa terrible page snipe, Guess what I'm saying is Dominions is awesome and go check out Kill Six Billion Demons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds like someone should make a Dominions mod of it!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
biggest thing wouldn't be adding in custom soldiers, it would be more like... how would Gog even work at all?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SniperWoreConverse posted:

biggest thing wouldn't be adding in custom soldiers, it would be more like... how would Gog even work at all?

Madness dominion. Lots of national variations on Call the Worm that Walks. The only entry in the namelist is Gog-Agog.

Alright, it needs work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gog-Agog, Eater of Filth, Bewerage, Your Pal

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Attica is a fairly new youtube guy who is making Dom5 videos. He has dozen a few nation guides that are pretty good (comprehensible, from national units to national spells, spells an items good for the nation, scales, pretender choice, initial expansion, etc). Now he has made a very nice video about boosting magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3PwhSK368

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

Attica is a fairly new youtube guy who is making Dom5 videos. He has dozen a few nation guides that are pretty good (comprehensible, from national units to national spells, spells an items good for the nation, scales, pretender choice, initial expansion, etc). Now he has made a very nice video about boosting magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3PwhSK368

Oh, this is cool:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I have this open constantly:

https://www.moddb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dom4-magic-path-booster-guide-by-telos

Looks like it's better as a quick reference because it has the summons too, although it's missing the new stuff.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MA Cassia is complete

Cassia.dm 2.0, which now includes both EA and MA Cassia, is ready for download.

You Can Download it Here!

sprites by Oort Object

In MA Cassia, while still at its core about bees draws inspiration from Dream of Red Mansions and Water Margin for setting and units. As the old EA Emperor-Queen powerhouses withdraw from the waking world power has been consolidated in a singular Divine Empress up around whom has sprung a sprawling dream bureaucracy and aristocracy that actually controls everything.

a life of leisure thanks to imperial blessings

However all is not well in the land of Cassia. The corrupt bureaucrats and decadent nobles have neglected the mutual responsibility between peasant and lord. Rapacious ministers and vain aristocrats abuse their power and horde resources for themselves while the people starve and infrastructure crumbles. In the hills there have been rumblings of revolt...

neglected men of ability...

As for the freespawn (beespawn) of old? Well they too are now a temple train option. Because of red tape-

They have lost homesick but are now much much slower to mass

MA Cassia's line troops are similar in many way to MA TC but they lack cavalry outside of their cap-only sacred unit. They also have some Red Turban bandit troops that are foreignrec and discounted in turmoil. As for the old freespawn... there are ways to regain Heaven's Mandate in that regard

riot!!!

MA Cassia has been balanced with the lodestar of 'don't get instantly murdered by Pan or other MA murder boys' and there will probably be balance updates in the future. This also has some minor fixes for EA Cassia, a new hero, several minor events for EA and MA, a new minor item and some old EA Cassia items with different costs to reflect the shifts in the faction magic paths. There are also some summons-

This seems fine.

So, uh, give it a try and let me know if I screwed anything up.

time to conquer this dusty waking world

Ramc fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 16, 2020

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ramc posted:

riot!!!

guessing revulotionay should be revolutionary? really cool idea for a faction and, even though I still haven't actually finished a single game, i'm probably gonna download it and try 'em.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

guessing revulotionay should be revolutionary? really cool idea for a faction and, even though I still haven't actually finished a single game, i'm probably gonna download it and try 'em.

Well fixed the typo so look forward to it in the uh, next patch.

edit- the surest way to find every typo is to think you are done and post it.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 16, 2020

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I don't even play this game but that imperial bee-rocracy faction owns

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Back elves!

get back!!!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Ramc posted:

MA Cassia is complete

Cassia.dm 2.0, which now includes both EA and MA Cassia, is ready for download.

Not sure if it's a typo or not that the Divine Empress is supported by a monied aristocracy and not a honied aristocracy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Youtuber LucidTactics has made a complete MP game on its channel with MA Atlantis. It's interesting because the game reached the very late endgame, that not a lot of games reach (and that's not counting with games where you go AI before). It's super long, more than 100 videos 60 minute videos, some even longer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bee

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Aww poo poo, my own MP game videos clock in at something like 96 videos max, because I lost/forgot so many turn recordings.

This is some dedication my lazy rear end can only marvel at

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Lucid is pretty waffley, his video releasing his map (that I'm using in clownlp) was like an hour too and that's not counting the like 10 hours of streams of him working on it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rockopolis posted:

Not sure if it's a typo or not that the Divine Empress is supported by a monied aristocracy and not a honied aristocracy.

at least if you're going for the pun make it honeyed

e: wait never mind apparently honied is an acceptable alternate spelling

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

at least if you're going for the pun make it honeyed

e: wait never mind apparently honied is an acceptable alternate spelling

MA Cassia: Everyone's a Comedian

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ramc posted:

MA Cassia: Everyone's a Comedian
Bee Movie is canon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, you like jazz? the Giant Bee is a pretender god,

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
According to all known laws of pantokrator, the giant bee should not be able to fly.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Is this an ok place to ask for advice? I'm hitting a point where I don't really know what to do to 'get better' at this game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

professor_curly posted:

Is this an ok place to ask for advice? I'm hitting a point where I don't really know what to do to 'get better' at this game.

Read my LP and emulate my amazing style and sage wisdom.

Also of course it's always OK to ask for advice, Dominions has a lot of non-obvious, semi-obscure stuff that you can occasionally wrangle for a win, mechanics-wise.

Though in my experience the way I best learned how to "get better" at Dominions was dropping headfirst into MP games and getting my rear end kicked, then trying to learn from how I got my balls kicked into my sternum by smarter players. Emulating what they did right until I figured out the reasons behind it and how it worked. Now I sometimes actually win battles, amazing! Not a good way to learn if you get discouraged by failure, though, because man my method involves a lot of failure.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I would agree with PurpleXVI, also asking folks for basic strategies for a nation you are going to/thinking about playing in an MP game and then asking for help during the way (probably not from the other people in the game!) will also help a lot; a lot of times I find it easier to get specific strategies for games I'm playing because there's a lot of "X is good, except if someone is playing A or B and you start near them, or if your enemy is going to have spells E and F you will get wiped out doing it" etc

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I'd say there are three ways to get better.

1) Asking for advice here or on discord.
2) Playing games, seeing something powerful another player does to you, then copying it yourself and seeing its weakness when it gets countered when you do it.
3) Watching lets play videos, and seeing people strategies and thinking.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Some of the best general advice I can give is make sure you have a really good strat for first year so you can have 10 provs and a fort building for whatever nation you are playing, plus some sort of a plan going into the mid-game of how you will defend and attack.

Your plans will get ruined but it's good to have something going in.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:allears:

Are there any bee themed emoticons?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

To have a path to winning an MP game, you need:

A solid early game expansion strategy, to grab territory as fast as possible and begin searching out sites while keeping yourself from being steamrolled by another player.

A midgame strategy where you transition from your early game expansion forces to lategame forces that can crush neighboring players with speed, hopefully picking up a few thrones on the way. While you do this, you are spinning up mage recruitment alongside your larger armies, because high level magic wins battles.

And a lategame strategy where you seize throne provinces and hold on to them long enough to get your god or an H3 on them. Sometimes this means heavy duty magic to drop an army or a pile of superthugs on them, somtimes your guys are going to have to walk. This is all that really matters in the end - the point of the game is to claim thrones. Your armies are a tool to do that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

my dad posted:

this isn't what you asked for, but it seems relevant anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UnmtrYrZI

e: the angry bee from the end probably has some promise

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

my dad posted:

Given Eve Online I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Popping in to announce MA Cassia 2.1 is ready.

Download Cassia.dm 2.1 here!

Behold the change log-

Also I fixed some issues with some events like how this one wouldn't give you a random construction 0-2 item because i mispelled item and didn't document that in the changelog i'm professional

Bao Daoyi fills the 'summon a death-astral caster that is the ghost of a deceased villain from the story' spot in Cassia that the Calamity Serpent had in EA. His buddy is another Water Margin classic.

time to chop a eunuch in half for suggesting my plan is unwise then submit a written report of my murder to the king

Barring some important issues this will be probably it for MA Cassia updates while I move on to LA Cassia.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 25, 2020

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Cassia remains extremely fun. I've been experimenting with a few options in MA, though I haven't yet seen if the holy swarms benefit from an elemental weapon bless. Flaming stings sound cool, but I'm not sure if it would displace their poison.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

avoraciopoctules posted:

Cassia remains extremely fun. I've been experimenting with a few options in MA, though I haven't yet seen if the holy swarms benefit from an elemental weapon bless. Flaming stings sound cool, but I'm not sure if it would displace their poison.

Good news they don't as far as I know. Weapon bless bee swarms are real good.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Fjords is over

i did it it's done it was a slog

Fjords was a an 'all underwater, amphibious or sailing' game with an... interesting map.

I was MA Pelagia. I almost didn't play in this game but I was encouraged to join because 1- noone picked MA Pelagia and 2- to revenge myself for my loss in my LP thread that you should read.

The weird cap UW cap circle linked by single province wide highways of water made expanding fairly weird and I can only imagine was even weirder for sailing nations.

The general gist however was that amphib nations cutting off certain paths turned me into a shaped charge to go off in the face of Ys who frankly could not really do much about it because Knights of the Deep are insane.

I had a Thunder Weapons bless and I was originally just going to do something like, I don't know, defense bonus with my water maybe x2 but I was successfully lobbied to go "gonzo" if only partially and went Chill Aura which actually worked really well when we mobbed and fatigued down Ys' statue god to death when he teleported it at my army.

in the end it was never going to end any other way

Ys had a death explosion bless that he was trying to use with ?swans? I guess which are sacred in JBBM. He put up a last fight on the capital with water elemental summons and then a desperate final lunge with a bunch of swans led underwater with water breathing pills which went as well as you might expect.

At this point I start oppressing Theodoros...

and kick everyone off my island here because noone can stop me. Vanheim is in a hellwar with Jomon and Phaecia got ground down by Fomoria. Also around this time I start passive-aggressively harassing Fomoria. I cast the good globals like Mother Oak, Gift of Health and Vengeful Waters and start to temple everything.

I advance on Rleyh, crush an army of theirs but get my nose bloodied on his cap as he brings everything to make a wall of skelespam that keeps me at bay just enough to lose. At that point I merely keep him penned up in his circle underwater until I am inclined to deal with him.

Fomoria gets swarmed over and picked apart by my vengeful waters. He actually dies to domkill. He won't be alone. I also cast Perpetual Storm during this so Fomoria can't sail. Noone can sail. Everyone is trapped on their islands unless they want to come down to my undersea realm-

better down where its wetter

I kill Theodoros, Ery attacks me through theodoros but all his guys starve and then sharkageddon happens as shown upstream in this thread.

The setup gets extremely grim dominion-wise for my enemies. Around this time, maybe a little after, Filthincarnate and I are kicking around ideas. Wishing for dominion, and nuclearmonkee suggests hey, why not Enchanted Forests? And so... I do. And we... we learn something.

I start wishing for dominion. Almost every dom-dies within the next like 10 turns.

rip

There is a lot not really covered here. Could I have lost this fight? Short answer: Yes with a maybe. Long answer: No, with a but. Pelagia was not really stoppable underwater. Maybe if everyone had rushed me immediately, but the map made that almost impossible to do effectively and goons don't co-ordinate well. Many amphibious nations were immediately crab-bucket'd onto islands. Deep Knights are too much.

Anyway if anyone has some highlights feel free to post. Here is a thug I made and one I accidentally stole tho.

ready to staaaaaand

thanks berytos

oh god its over.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
I was Ys in that game and I learned that playing Ys in a game with another underwater nation, especially Pelagia, is elaborate suicide. Ys has some good stuff but basically none of it works underwater. Giving my exploding swans pills of water breathing was great though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Arcvasti posted:

I was Ys in that game and I learned that playing Ys in a game with another underwater nation, especially Pelagia, is elaborate suicide. Ys has some good stuff but basically none of it works underwater. Giving my exploding swans pills of water breathing was great though.

how did you get them to eat the pills???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ramc posted:

how did you get them to eat the pills???

Grab them by the neck. Tilt head up, put pills in mouth. Massage neck vigorously. After they swallow swing them by the neck away from you.

Oh and make sure to straddle the swan between your legs so they can't easily wing buffet you. Make sure that you do not strangle these swans since they explode.