Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Where's the pistol whip attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There should be a random event called Darnlibs that throws it into Tartarus.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

entire army gets wiped out due to sudden lack of incarnate blesses.

"this would not have happened if we had a gun"

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Does it have the right to bear (copper) arms?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The mod theme is going to be... :patriot: ?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Turin Turambar posted:

The mod theme is going to be... :patriot: ?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

0/10 no shield throw

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

LA Cassia work continues.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
...is battering affected by strength? Does the Terracotta Swarm shrink as it takes damage like a hydra or elemental?

Is the terracotta swarm easily distracted by pretty flowers?

Now if there was a sacred variant, why, there'd finally be another non-agarthan use for that one earth bless.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LordSloth posted:

...is battering affected by strength? Does the Terracotta Swarm shrink as it takes damage like a hydra or elemental?

Is the terracotta swarm easily distracted by pretty flowers?

Now if there was a sacred variant, why, there'd finally be another non-agarthan use for that one earth bless.

Battering is an undodgable AoE-1 attack that deals half-strength in damage. It benefits from strength boosting spells but not by a whole lot. The Cassia swarms do not have shrinky shapes. The assumption is once they take their HP in damage the swarm is no longer a viable threat and the survivors scatter or, in the case of the Terracotta Swarm probably just fall apart as the magic sustaining them fails.

Terracotta Swarms are not sacred but LA Cassia gets a sacred temple-trained swarm:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there a nation specific Stone Bee item yet

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Is there a nation specific Stone Bee item yet

there is not but we got this guy.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Hello friends :) I am a giant gun, or a spirit inhabiting the same; I am totally immobile and all I can do is be a gun, exhibiting perfect gunliness.

My precision stat, you ask? Why, it's

uh

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

Hello friends :) I am a giant gun, or a spirit inhabiting the same; I am totally immobile and all I can do is be a gun, exhibiting perfect gunliness.

uh

true guns always only hit the thing you are aiming at just like in the dirty harry movies where you can shoot up a crowded hostage filled plane and never cause unexpected collateral damage

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the only thing that can stop a bad spirit inhabiting a giant immobile gun is a good spirit inhabiting a giant immobile gun

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FilthIncarnate posted:

uh

10 precision for a 1100 year old gun? That's not bad actually!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FilthIncarnate posted:

uh

guns don't kill people, horrors kill people

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

guns don't kill people, horrors kill people

But what kind of people? Fishpeople, horsepeople, monkeypeople, apepeople, slightlylessapepeople, bigpeople, smallpeople, snakepeople, lizardpeople, pointyearpeople, salamderpeople, lavapeople, or something else?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
notmypeople, obviously

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Torrannor posted:

10 precision for a 1100 year old gun? That's not bad actually!

an ancient spirit of Being A Gun should have slightly better precision than a hastily-levied human militiaman, imo

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

at the very least it's had over a thousand years to practice

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

FilthIncarnate posted:

at the very least it's had over a thousand years to practice

If a gun practices shooting itself for too long it'll go blind, which will impair accuracy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FilthIncarnate posted:

an ancient spirit of Being A Gun should have slightly better precision than a hastily-levied human militiaman, imo

To be fair, it is a Glock.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does it increase or does it reduce unrest? Discuss.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
reduces unrest but also sparks events where you lose 10-30 pop due to mass shootings and stand your ground laws

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Hello friends, stuck inside with nothing to do? May I suggest trying out...

LA CASSIA

my land... my beautiful land

Download Cassia v3.0 here!

Thrill to the LA incarnation of everyone's favorite Taoist dream bee mod nation. After the events of MA Cassia the bees speed ran the Yellow Scarf Red Turban Revolt resulting in them cosplaying through the fall of the Han. LA Cassia is predisposed to archery which can be complemented by their air and fire focused mages. The main reason however is because of their cap-only sacred:

While spendy and a borderline warcrime, Zhuge Crossbowmen provide LA Cassia with some early game teeth before counters to archery begin to come online. Even when they do, though, that rate of fire ensures a potent first volley. Beyond that they have variations on the usual TC troops and have even rediscovered EA chariot technology. They also have some Riverlands themed recruits in mountains and some coastal Southlands themed recruits. Each of the Three Kingdoms has their famous ruler as a chassis option too. They also boast another spendy, but load-bearing, cap only wizard-

A mobile troop mustering platform, the Pretender Empress can help expansion and generally provide a resilient strategic hardpoint where needed. But it's THREE KINGDOMS Ramc I don't care about generic commanders I want some razzle dazzle famous people what do you have???

a trustworthy face

a literal fellow

laughs without mirth

We have quite a few here to be honest. Maybe not all your favorites made it in but there are over a dozen unique Three Kingdoms inspired commanders available though summons or PG chassis. Is there still a spring immortal freespawn option, though? It's Cassia there must be right? Well there is-

he should write a book

hao

The items are mostly the same but with the path requirements changed to reflect the new wizard foci. That said there is at least one new item:

ironclad logic

It also has 2 new heroes (for a total of 4 for LA Cassia), 2 globals, and a handful of minor events including a pair of interactions (Put Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang in the same province). In conclusion LA Cassia is ready to take for a spin. If you see anything amiss, have a comment or what have you let me know. There is kind of a lot more than the screenshots might let on it feels. Anyway obviously this is the sort of serious mod that only has the most historically accur- :holds hand to earpiece: I'm sorry the fans want what?

oh my god

Okay but can we just get-

hahah yes! YES!

Well, okay, please enjoy LA CASSIA

Changelog-

Ramc fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 13, 2020

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

:vince:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It was stupid enough to make me laugh. So I stole a comic to make this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Attack 15? Sorry but I can't deal with something that unrealistic, that seal statue doesn't seem to be that agile.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I am extremely fond of the seal

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Attack 15? Sorry but I can't deal with something that unrealistic, that seal statue doesn't seem to be that agile.

It has a base attack of 13. It is probably higher because of xp. i hope this assuages your concerns.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Bought game a few days ago. Having alot of fun but goddamn is it a pain in the rear end to set up a direct connection game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Buller posted:

Bought game a few days ago. Having alot of fun but goddamn is it a pain in the rear end to set up a direct connection game.

This has always been a pain because your ISP blocks ports so you don't run game/web servers (also security I guess, but that's an after effect), also your router will not automatically know where to forward ports to either and might even just drop some traffic if it's not part of an existing connection.

I assume dominions ports aren't documented properly in the manual but I'm sure someone has figured out what ports you need to forward from your router to get a game going.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

MF_James posted:

This has always been a pain because your ISP blocks ports so you don't run game/web servers (also security I guess, but that's an after effect), also your router will not automatically know where to forward ports to either and might even just drop some traffic if it's not part of an existing connection.

I assume dominions ports aren't documented properly in the manual but I'm sure someone has figured out what ports you need to forward from your router to get a game going.

Thats the easiest part! I just opened a port on my router lke in the old times. The difficult part is that you need to have a dedicated host client open AND a client that you play on open. Steam doesnt like this of course and it impacts your CPU and such.

So you need to open a command line text box client to run the session as host and then open the game proper and connect to yourself while your friends connect to your ip.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Buller posted:

Thats the easiest part! I just opened a port on my router lke in the old times. The difficult part is that you need to have a dedicated host client open AND a client that you play on open. Steam doesnt like this of course and it impacts your CPU and such.

So you need to open a command line text box client to run the session as host and then open the game proper and connect to yourself while your friends connect to your ip.

Yeah, that's a pain in the rear end and a half. I would unironically recommend just joining the Discord and using the Snek service, since it's vastly less of a bitch.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
MA Marignon probably my favorite so far.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Buller posted:

ahh didn't realize direct connect in dominions language actually meant connect to a server instance.

Yeah just use snek in that case.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Once again, THIS COOL GUY has won a game.

Newbiegame, despite the name, permitted people with less than two wins, so I swung in with MA Mari despite my win as LA Caelum in Eels. The game was rolling with JBBM, so we had a lot of the usual limitations in place for crazier poo poo.

My plan was PALADIN BEEF with Unaging to prevent my grand masters all getting diseases during the winter and leaving me out tons of gold and time, the fuckers. And you know what? It worked well, my paladins owned bones against indies all over the place, but things were actually pretty peaceful! I ended up with a big ocean to my south that no one seemed to be in, Ashdod to my west, C'tis to my north, Pythium to my northeast and Caelum to my east, but everyone kind of left me alone to just eat up indies for a surprising amount of time. Meanwhile, R'lyeh was eating Pythium who, in spite, sent me a bunch of his gems, and when Phlegra suddenly popped up in the east and started eating Caelum, I chewed up as much of his territory as I could.

While R'lyeh and Phlegra then had an abortive battle, the R'lyeh/Mari border got a Necromancer event that it was up to me to deal with because no one else wanted to, and everyone but me settled in for long-term hellwars against neighbours. Ashdod vs Phlegra, R'lyeh and C'tis vs Abysia, Sceleria vs Atlantis, Nazca vs ?????.

This left me bordering three uncontested L3 thrones, which I hoovered up with some effort(a sneaking Star Child did get one of my loving grandmasters feebleminded, though, curse you, R'lyeh!). I got the Throne of the Pantokrator first, which turned out to be a boon once R'lyeh put up Vengeful Waters, in keeping that poo poo off me. Then the Shattered Throne next, and R'lyeh direly predicted that I would dabble in blood and doom them all, I told them that noooooooo, that would be silly and wasteful, and really, I thought so too until... I grabbed the Throne of Destiny(at this point no one else had an L3 throne, so why no one was planning to dogpile me, I do not know). The thing wasn't the throne itself, though, but the fact that it let me recruit loving Troll Kings.

So I hatched... a plan, an evil plan. I was gonna get me some loving BLOOD STONES. I was already ramping up through Conjuration for my angels, so at Conj 8, with Blood Stones, Earth Boots and recruitable Troll Kings, I could spam the poo poo out of anyone I didn't like the face of with cheap Earth Attacks and rip them apart.

The plan proceeded flawlessly, I started fighting C'tis, saw no real opposition and then...

loving R'lyeh puts up Arcane Nexus.

At this point the survivors were Phlegra(having eaten Ashdod), C'tis(Abysia ate poo poo, too), Sceleria(RIP Atlantis), Nazca, R'lyeh and myself. Everyone agreed to put hostilities on hold to stop R'lyeh before things got out of hand, and it went well. With Earth Attacks taking out chunks of R'lyeh's commander corps' prior to any attack(even eating a Divine Named Vastness, dang), Sceleria stealing away Vengeful Waters and big murders happening on squidland...

But then R'lyeh started chain-spamming armageddon wishes.

Sceleria went AI rather than suffer through the pain of constantly re-adjusting his rattling hordes, sending me his stuff that I might avenge him.

note that AI Sceleria still kept loving taking forts, though

Nonetheless, the writing was on the wall for R'lyeh. In the 11th hour he started a half-hearted throne lunge for an L3 throne that had stood vacant on his borders all game(Elements, as it turned out), but by then C'tis had contacted me and told me that he found me winning to be less unpalatable than R'lyeh winning, so he allowed me access to his two thrones(an L1 and an L3). Normally the Armageddons would have made sieging down even the undefended forts a long problem except, oh wait, someone has a bunch of E5's that can cast Crumble! I blasted down the walls and took them, before shooing R'lyeh off his throne and taking the win on turn 100, just as the horrors started eating people(Cata was set for turn 99, which was insanity, as it turns out.).

you can tell where the armageddons started

Things learned this game: Mari's angels aren't really that great. They do the job but they're not wonderful. And Strands of Arcane Power is great if you have a strong Astral pretender and powerful dominion push, it ate so many mage brains. By the point I got it up I had already site-searched pretty well, but it did find a few.

note a distinct levelling off in my research as the armageddons blow up all my Initiate and Witch Hunter research goons, and the remainder of the mages, troll kings, angels and elemental royalty, primarily, also a Wraith Lord thug and an Ivy King, march out to war

AI Sceleria kept up VW to the end, so I have a feeling like that growing dominion ate a lot of squid

I didn't even really betray anyone this game.

Well, not a lot, anyway.

I did kind of urge people to keep fighting each other, promising vague help, "oh, yeah, I'll mind hunt Phlegra's guys for you if he gets close, scout's honor" and then forgetting about it, and similar. But ultimately what helped me win was simply that apparently no one took me seriously as a threat or felt I looked juicy. The map had INCREDIBLY rough terrain, basically zero roads, mountains and forests everywhere, so my paladins, while strong, were super immobile, and my angels few in number. Nazca could have raided me down to nothing very easily, not to mention what R'lyeh could have done with his Uttervast PG and Vastness thug before I got Earth Attacks online and started on my offense properly.

So the win was kind of like in Eels, except much less by the seat of my pants and much better planned out.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The common theme in every pretender aar is that "people left me alone while I showed my Dyson impression to the local Indies and Ai".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dominions MP dirty secret* is that in reality luck plays a relevant factor, in normal non-Disciples games, given the free-for-all gameplay. Even counting diplomacy skill. Sometimes by random chance, without no diplomacy involved, nations A and B fight, same with nations C and D, and then nation E is left alone, because no one wants to fight two nations at the same time. Or even if someone wants to attack someone not involved in a war that is starting to do it well, map geography may disallow it. Or if two nations fights against a third one, that action leaves someone alone. Or sometimes your neighbors are bad counters to your nation, and other times the opposite. Or even if you are involved in a war and win, if the opponent was good and it costs you a lot of resources and time, you will be in disadvantage against someone who was punching a more inexperienced player meanwhile.

Of course better players will win more, what i want to say it's how it's more a 'best of 5 rounds wins' type of game, what it happens is that 'rounds' here are son long that isn't practical to do that.

*: not so secret for any veteran.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 19, 2020