Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominions MP dirty secret* is that in reality luck plays a relevant factor

I'm sorry I think you'll find that luck is an important factor when other people win. When I win it's pure skill and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I've found that avoiding 'power' nations like Pan is a good way to enhance the Dominions experience as doing it is an invitation to get dogpiled. Your enemies don't have to do a lot of diplomancy to convince everyone that "oooo Sceleria/Pan/Ermor is scary" and make everyone coalition against you. It's likely that even if you won every fight you come out the loser since no territory was gained for all the resources expended.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I've found that avoiding 'power' nations like Pan is a good way to enhance the Dominions experience as doing it is an invitation to get dogpiled. Your enemies don't have to do a lot of diplomancy to convince everyone that "oooo Sceleria/Pan/Ermor is scary" and make everyone coalition against you. It's likely that even if you won every fight you come out the loser since no territory was gained for all the resources expended.

It's also a good idea to avoid all nations that start with "A" and end in "bysia"

Taking one of those cursed nations, now that's a sure-fire way to lose

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

It's also a good idea to avoid all nations that start with "A" and end in "bysia"

Taking one of those cursed nations, now that's a sure-fire way to lose

I see what you did there!

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
https://nuke-makes-games.itch.io/mapnuke

Nation data is now stored in XML files so now modded nations can have their own entries and you can fiddle around with the settings if you wanna rebalance the nations.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The secret to winning is simple.
Be Ramc.

Not easy, but simple!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you are bored at home in quarantine, Attica has released a Vaettiheim guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMEut6k4SI0
I like his guides, very thorough without wasting time unlike LucidTactics.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a way to see Dom 5 crash report? It keeps crashing during the "Update Score List" phase for end turn. I'd like to try and fix but not sure how.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Nazca News Network posted:

Recently some influential nobles have warned the Inca that the stipends and lands controlled by the ancestors might ruin the kingdom. The priests have protested and called it nonsense. Several of the nobles were sacrificed and their bodies were destroyed rather than being mummified.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The secret to winning is simple.
Be Ramc.

Not easy, but simple!

It works for me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Turin Turambar posted:

If you are bored at home in quarantine, Attica has released a Vaettiheim guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMEut6k4SI0
I like his guides, very thorough without wasting time unlike LucidTactics.

Yeah he has some interesting ideas at the very least about what you can do with a nation. It would be really funny to try the main strategy he outlines in that video. His LPs of every nation's perspective in a MP game are pretty entertaining too. LucidTactics is just straight up wrong about things a lot in his videos.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 28, 2020

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Posting these screenshots that were provided to me by a mysterious benefactor. Who could they be???

Ancestors Mad (x24)

gently caress YOU ANCESTOR! YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

feeling incredibly victimized rn

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

ChickenWing posted:

feeling incredibly victimized rn

unusual choice of words, considering that everyone knows you just won yongle, as hinnom, defeating me and also many other people.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

FilthIncarnate posted:

unusual choice of words, considering that everyone knows you just won yongle, as hinnom, defeating me and also many other people.

hm yes that sounds like a thing that Definitely Happened and is certainly independently verifiable

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I don't think I've ever been as unimportant a player in the grand scheme of things as I was in Yongle, but I still feel proud of my performance. Pushed down to three provinces by Fomoria, and just before the game's end I had fought him back far enough that my Seraphs took his cap and killed his god(the latter for the second time).

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

ChickenWing posted:

hm yes that sounds like a thing that Definitely Happened and is certainly independently verifiable

Ya of course

Congrats :)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Have goons ever done an in-game messaging only for a SA Dominions game? I'm watching Attica doing some allnation commenting and the players are only allowed in game messaging and the meta is quite different.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Have goons ever done an in-game messaging only for a SA Dominions game? I'm watching Attica doing some allnation commenting and the players are only allowed in game messaging and the meta is quite different.

I've never played a game like that, but I've seen a few of the "rulesets" including that and they are pretty uniquely laughable.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Vigor and verdure to you, tillers! Do you have time today to talk about our saviour, the Flower with One Million Stems? :)

Uuodeouda is a custom nation that has been shown the light and the way thanks to a friendly group called the Flowerbed Church :). The Flowerbed Church believe that the world is doomed, and really, who doesn't? :) But don't worry. They have gained the trust and friendship of a divine flower, whose loving tendrils reach across the Between, carrying with them a barrowful of hope that we can all go back to the soil of the First Garden. :)

Don't despair. :) Sooner or later, everything in this world perishes. :)

Why hesitate, tiller? Do you feel alone? :) When you take our hand you take the Great Mouth's hand, and the Great Mouth grasps one million worlds from across the Between. You will make so many friends :) You will never be alone again. :)

Here, take a pamphlet :). It tells you everything you need to know. May your flowers grow tall, tiller. :)

Don't mind the rumbling. That's just the Myriad. :)

---

UUODEOUDA, DREAM OF TENDRILS, V1.2 ---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/y92wp7mn0wetvpv/tendrils_v1.2.rar.

This mod contains 91 events, 21 newspells, 63 newmonsters, 38 newweapons, ... it's very large. Feel free to try finding bugs.

Dominion 10 and Death scales are recommended because you want to spread your sites as hard as possible, and you need corpses to feed to your Redworms. Good luck.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 8, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That looks like a quality nation, cool lore. As expected of CLOWNS.DM creator!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i assume this is the EA to clowns' MA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Current watching mood: Annihilation, Color out of Space.

edit: lol something awful namedrop.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 8, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Getting good Tiberium Sun feels outta this

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sick house

bhluabuh
Dec 23, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Attica is a fairly new youtube guy who is making Dom5 videos. He has dozen a few nation guides that are pretty good (comprehensible, from national units to national spells, spells an items good for the nation, scales, pretender choice, initial expansion, etc). Now he has made a very nice video about boosting magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3PwhSK368

Thanks for linking this, I've been missing Dominions LP content and this dude seems like a decent guy

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I just got the game.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I want to play with some goons!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I just got the game.

As much as it's nice that you want to play with some goons already, I'm not sure if the MP game structure, where one just play a turn a day for three months or so, is a efficient way to learn Dominions. Apart that you'd be affecting everyone else in the game, Dominions requires a serious time commitment, as to start playing with someone without knowing how to bless your sacreds.
Just play 2-3 games against AI before jumping to online.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

As much as it's nice that you want to play with some goons already, I'm not sure if the MP game structure, where one just play a turn a day for three months or so, is a efficient way to learn Dominions. Apart that you'd be affecting everyone else in the game, Dominions requires a serious time commitment, as to start playing with someone without knowing how to bless your sacreds.
Just play 2-3 games against AI before jumping to online.

A couple of games against the AI to figure out all of the controls and stuff is a good idea, but ultimately the only place you'll actually learn the game beyond that is playing against other people who own you gruesomely, through which you learn great lessons in how not to get your rear end beat time and time again. Or at least to die in a comically appropriate way.

Though for your first couple of MP games I would absolutely recommend having a more experienced friend, goon or friend who is a goon who isn't in the game to ask for advice. Otherwise your first couple of losses easily become so massive as to be demoralizing.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I just got the game.

we run games through the bot in this discord https://discord.gg/6PQz5w

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cool. I haven't played since Dominions 3 (never won a game despite teleporting hordes of mind flayers on some dude) so I need to look up how the new bless paths and nations work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh so you aren't a totally new player. That's different.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh so you aren't a totally new player. That's different.

Yea, looks like the basics haven't changed too much but the bless system is more complicated and I'm trying to figure out whether MA Nazca wants an expansion pretender or just loving around with Air Bless and Condors and Supayas.

Expect THRONE PROPHET though.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Reach Heaven through violence.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

PurpleXVI posted:

Though for your first couple of MP games I would absolutely recommend having a more experienced friend, goon or friend who is a goon who isn't in the game to ask for advice. Otherwise your first couple of losses easily become so massive as to be demoralizing.

Just ask the discord chat what to do.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Just ask the discord chat what to do.

Do it to the point where you aren't making any decisions at all, just crowd sourcing them from discord.

I suppose you can come up with commander names yourself, that's ok.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The bot can give you names too, though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

xposting from the newbad thread:

Technowolf posted:

Double post, but just wanted to say that I am now not a newbad!

That's right, I've won my first Dominions game as LA Atlantis.

Here's my god:

As you can see, I went with nearly full scales, which allowed me to pump out my really good troops. I was also lucky and was able to get in on an anti-Lemuria coalition and got their cap, which gave me 9 death gems a turn, which is HUGE, especially in the late age where there's a dearth of gem sites. That allowed me to do stuff like spam skeletons and pale riders for chaff. I was also able to get uncontested control of the largest body of water on the map, so I basically had a place where I could build and move armies where almost no one else could reach. That also allowed me to summon Bishop Fish, which are underwater only Holy 3 summons, which helped me capture that final throne.

The game actually got down to the wire. Cataclysm happened and like, three of my thrones go eaten. It was down to 4 VP (2 thrones) for the win when I claimed my last one, and was actually tied with Mictlan. I only won because ties are broken by dominion, and mine was like 2.5x what Mictlan had.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Congratulations on the win!
Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Congratulations on the win!
Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

That absolutely is a dom 3/4 thing - now 4 or 5 is the minimum you can have without accidentally dying.