Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

avoraciopoctules posted:

So. Conquest of Elysium 5’s monkey priests reincarnate if they don’t cast coolzone spells. This means immortality, but keyed to a temple of the ones you captured. Guess what happens when your amphibious nagas capture the Hidden Temple of the Deeps?

Illwinter Studios remains on the bleeding edge of innovation in advanced drowning and falling technology.

OK, but shouldn't they keep drowning and reincarnating? Or is drowning different and fills your monkey priests with sin so they'll stop being reborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

missed opportunity for them to reincarnate as amphibious seamonkey priests, imo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

avoraciopoctules posted:

So. Conquest of Elysium 5’s monkey priests reincarnate if they don’t cast coolzone spells. This means immortality, but keyed to a temple of the ones you captured. Guess what happens when your amphibious nagas capture the Hidden Temple of the Deeps?

Illwinter Studios remains on the bleeding edge of innovation in advanced drowning and falling technology.

lmao this rules

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Libluini posted:

OK, but shouldn't they keep drowning and reincarnating? Or is drowning different and fills your monkey priests with sin so they'll stop being reborn?

They keep drowning and reincarnating to drown once more. It is the Temple of Perpetual Drowning. Every turn, you get a message about the steadily escalating number of commanders who drown eternally in the temple of the deep. It's great.

Also, I discovered some Hidden Fun Stuff in the promotion ritual that Shiva gets.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

avoraciopoctules posted:

They keep drowning and reincarnating to drown once more. It is the Temple of Perpetual Drowning. Every turn, you get a message about the steadily escalating number of commanders who drown eternally in the temple of the deep. It's great.

Also, I discovered some Hidden Fun Stuff in the promotion ritual that Shiva gets.

:allears:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, that "dance of destruction" sounds like it would be a good idea for every enchanter to stay the hell away frpm unless they're already knee-deep in golems.

(The Enchanter's early summons nearly all have something like 1-2 HP, so you could easily have your entire army deleted pre-battle by this skill.)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

It's armor negating, but magic resistance can negate the damage.

I tried using Shiva to solo the academy of higher magics, but Old Wizards casting multi-hit lightning spells took him down in around 3 shots. When you ascend him into a horror-faction Stupid unit, that vulnerability disappears. He both destroys settlements like the Maker of Ruins and terraforms everything into lifeless desert like a defiler king or Baal.

This guy is pretty hard to put down... though it might be possible to get him to die if he runs into a planar citadel or an endgame summoned titan army. He's amphibious, but not flying, so if you can't kill him it might theoretically be possible to fly up to an island without land access and pray you find a citadel where you can wait out the end of the world.

EDIT: Also, you need a tier 3 promoted mage to spend 500 gems, then Shiva to spend another 500 if you want to get Destroyer online. I'm not sure if either is worth the cost, you can get a LOT of monkeys spamming mind control spells for that price. Or gem-generating yakshas and yakshini garrisoning the southern jungles and lakes

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 20, 2022

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

avoraciopoctules posted:

This guy is pretty hard to put down... though it might be possible to get him to die if he runs into a planar citadel or an endgame summoned titan army. He's amphibious, but not flying, so if you can't kill him it might theoretically be possible to fly up to an island without land access and pray you find a citadel where you can wait out the end of the world.

I guess you could be lame and just shift him into Hades

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

As tempted as I am to try and lure Shiva into tripping and falling off a cloud, he might evaporate a decent amount of cloud layer by turning the surface into desert. Plus, if he lands in water he might actually survive it.

Assuming that I'm the one who sets the Destroyer loose, it might be really fun to try it in Heaven. Turn El's house into a smoking wreck while you protect the earthrealm.

Hmm... Planeshift would be an excellent way to style on Shiva from the other side, I agree. Any non-necromancer factions that might make a particularly fun match-up? I'm a little tempted to let an Emperor class maharaja loose and then see if I can contain it after a year or so.

EDIT: I suppose that unleashing the Mystery of the Druids might be pretty effective. And I don't think I've actually seen the Primal plane yet either...

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Also guess getting a scroll to hell and just summoning him there could be amusing

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are goons still playing dominions? Is there a working discord link?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Pharnakes posted:

Are goons still playing dominions? Is there a working discord link?

yya sure https://discord.gg/k8N9eGxP

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Been trying some modding in my spare time but hitting a wall on the odd audio files it needs. Anyone recommend a good way to convert files to .al or sw? Audacity will let me use the formatting of .al, but leaves me with the .wav header

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Been trying some modding in my spare time but hitting a wall on the odd audio files it needs. Anyone recommend a good way to convert files to .al or sw? Audacity will let me use the formatting of .al, but leaves me with the .wav header
You can export working audio files using Audacity. Just to start, make sure your project is 22050Hz, 16-bit, Mono.

To export it correctly with Audacity, you need to export the audio using "File -> Export -> Export Audio..."

Save as 'Other uncompressed files', with Header setting 'RAW (header-less)' and Encoding setting 'Signed 16-bit PCM'.

Audacity will give you a filename prompt of myass.raw, but change it to myass.sw. Audacity might warn you that .sw is some insane poo poo, but we all have to accept that.

Audacity will then prompt you to give your file metadata. Use this opportunity to clear all of the metadata. If your audio file has metadata Dominions will try to play the metadata as audio and it will produces glitches.

That's it. Dominions should play myass.sw perfectly.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Thanks! I thought I could use Audacity for it, but keeps giving me issues with setting the proper type of file. Followed your advice, but end up with a "myass.sw.raw" file in the end. It's just prompting me for the file name, not the extension.

I'm converting some 8 bit sound effects and it's surprising the amount of editing I have to do after to get it to sound like the original again. What a format to pick Illwinter!

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Thanks! I thought I could use Audacity for it, but keeps giving me issues with setting the proper type of file. Followed your advice, but end up with a "myass.sw.raw" file in the end. It's just prompting me for the file name, not the extension.

I'm converting some 8 bit sound effects and it's surprising the amount of editing I have to do after to get it to sound like the original again. What a format to pick Illwinter!

Kind of weird but I'd try just renaming it, after it's saved, to myass.sw, and see if it just works fine ingame.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Well neat. That actually worked! Many thanks!

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."

Can I get in on this as well? finally pulled the trigger on buying the thing

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Dominions goon discord.. I think it was this one? https://discord.gg/CwGdMEgF6Z

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It's expired. I think?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
https://discord.gg/KJhEmXwg There's another link. The discord is very active and we mostly talk on there which is why this thread isn't very active itself.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

uguu posted:

It's expired. I think?

ya we are not using unlimited invites any more because weird rear end holes keep showing up to be rear end holes

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

welfarestateofmind posted:

Can I get in on this as well? finally pulled the trigger on buying the thing

The goon community is very active, but the multiplayer community in general is healthy and full of fairly nice people. Usually a couple games for new players being advertised, or players who have never won a game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

https://discord.gg/KJhEmXwg There's another link. The discord is very active and we mostly talk on there which is why this thread isn't very active itself.

is it cool to just lurkand peanut gallery or is that rude? i don't really like playing domininions but i love reading about it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

is it cool to just lurkand peanut gallery or is that rude? i don't really like playing domininions but i love reading about it

it's pretty chill, you have to be a pretty big dick to get people riled up.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Tulip posted:

Sure go ahead and ask questions even if you want it's very friendly. We love questions and people will jump at the chance to answer them.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Dominions 5 is currently a staggering 50% off in the Steam Summer Sale --> https://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

This is its historical lowest price so if you've been waiting for a discount before you pick up this 200 year old badboy, now's your chance.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'm bad at this game but got it in the summer sale. All the Discord invite links are dead, anybody have another?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Arsonide posted:

I'm bad at this game but got it in the summer sale. All the Discord invite links are dead, anybody have another?

jump in https://discord.gg/pxF4bc7A

Keisari
May 24, 2011

gently caress it, might as well. Goons still play this right? I've understood that Dominions is eternal

Edit:

Is blood magic still as fun/amazing gimmick? Is It less tedious now with the slave collecting?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Keisari posted:

gently caress it, might as well. Goons still play this right? I've understood that Dominions is eternal

Edit:

Is blood magic still as fun/amazing gimmick? Is It less tedious now with the slave collecting?

I think from Dom4 to Dom5 they put a shortcut key to unload/load blood slaves faster, but that's it.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I think from Dom4 to Dom5 they put a shortcut key to unload/load blood slaves faster, but that's it.

Its the price you pay for astral corruption and ozelotl I guess.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm really bad at this game, I know, but I've been enjoying it a lot lately. After reading about Theft Of The Sun, I decided to try a game as EA Xibalba and beeline for it. I successfully cast it, and suddenly my troops were actually able to fight reasonably effectively, which was great. However, I'm probably about to lose due to running out of dominion, which I don't understand: there are 5 thrones in this game and I have 3 of them so far; one is on a remote island and I don't think anyone has it, and there's one which is presumably held by Tuatha. At this point though, even my temples are under really strong enemy dominion and I can't figure out why. My Pretender and prophet are both up. Do I just need to build a shitload of temples to stave off collapse? (Less easy now TOTS has nuked resources, but I can work towards it.) Any suggestions gratefully received.

e; this is against the AI, to be clear

Pipski fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 11, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My brain is full of holes and such but it might be that Xibalba has a blood sac only dominion, in which only throne, home province, god and prophet dom checks happen naturally and temple checks need a priest murdering blood slaves to actually have any effect?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Build more temples, sacrifice blood slaves at them

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Xib does not have dying dominion, but can blood sac which is more powerful than normal preaching.
e: you die WAY before you can cast second sun if you have dying dominion without realising, and the AI often does unmodded

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Pipski posted:

DOMINIONS

What's your starting dominion strength, aside from that? Because if you went for like, a build with only 2 candles of dom strength, and the AI went for the more standard of 4 or 5, that means they succeed on more "candle rolls" and over time they'll potentially grind you down(and every five temples increases your dominion "strength" by one candle).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
By my count you have... 5 temples? Which is pretty awful for a game that's been going long enough to get big globals going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

What's your starting dominion strength, aside from that?

7, lol, sorry, forgot to mention that. Thanks guys, I will start slitting throats and building temples. I need to do some more reading, figure out what kind of radius of effect they have -- it's clearly lower than I assumed. Cheers!

e; oh wait, temples run on checks as well? Man, I was way off the mark.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 11, 2022