Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Congratulations on the win!
Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

5 is considered the minimum safe score, 4 can be done if you have good blood sacrificing or inquisitors.
And yes, it was by map candles:

I'm the dark blue line, Mictlan is the light green one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
4 domscore is generally fine as long as you've got an awake pretender. It's not really fatal even if you're not awake, but it's not a good idea because you're not going to be able to spread whatever scales you buy from going dormant.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

How Dominion score affects the 'dominion fight' when two opposing dominions meet changed in an update in Dominions 4, making it less important. Still, Dominion score is important for long games as the longer it a game gets, the more time there will be to be 'Dompushed'. That said, because Dom5 introduced the Cataclysm rule against long games, and also changed how you win Awe (not with Dom score, but with a specific bless), there has been less and less reasons to make Pretender with high dominion scores.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
FYI he only won because he bribed me(after Xibalba bribed me to attack him instead of them), so I went to attack C'tis(who didn't bribe me) instead with my artisanal thugs and hordes of cyclopses.

The lesson learned is to Always Be Bribing(Purple, who really wants your gold and gems).

Turin Turambar posted:

That said, because Dom5 introduced the Cataclysm rule against long games, and also changed how you win Awe (not with Dom score, but with a specific bless), there has been less and less reasons to make Pretender with high dominion scores.

If your strategy depends in part on Gift of Health, Vengeful Waters or oodles of sacreds, your domscore also starts taking on greater importance.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 13, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

How Dominion score affects the 'dominion fight' when two opposing dominions meet changed in an update in Dominions 4, making it less important. Still, Dominion score is important for long games as the longer it a game gets, the more time there will be to be 'Dompushed'. That said, because Dom5 introduced the Cataclysm rule against long games, and also changed how you win Awe (not with Dom score, but with a specific bless), there has been less and less reasons to make Pretender with high dominion scores.

And in turn, with fewer reasons to run high domscore there's less penalty to roll with low domscore because you don't have to worry about getting domkilled by a bunch of assholes with domscore 9+.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

If your strategy depends in part on Gift of Health, Vengeful Waters or oodles of sacreds, your domscore also starts taking on greater importance.

Correct, that's the reason that still exists to get high dominion, sacred recruitment.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Technowolf posted:

xposting from the newbad thread:

scales build vindicated by powerful strength

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The way dom score works in 5 (and later on in 4) is that the formula for expansion is is 50 + (5 x dom score)%. So even a score of 4 is a 70% chance of a successful expansion, and can be increased over time in the game (every 5 temples you have boosts your dom score by 1). And on the upper end, higher scores have a dropoff in relative worth too since it's only 5% per.

The reason why low dom score was considered suicidal in 3 (and for a while in 4) is that the formula used to be (10 x dom score)%. So in that situation, a low dom score was incredibly chancy because you'd have a greater than even chance of not getting any expansion, and conversely a high dom score was worth even more since it was 10% per point. There are still reasons you might want a high score, even aside from sacred numbers, because various nation features look at strength of dominion, but anyone who doesn't need sacreds or something nation-specific is pretty safe going in with a dom score in the 4-6 range pretty safely.

PurpleXVI posted:

Even for that first part you're going to want a fair number of temples to push as many temple checks as possible, and every 5 you have removes the relevance of yet another initial point.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Everyone is forgetting the most important reason to get high dominion: Pretender titles!

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Returning player here, played a ton of Dom 3, a single game in 4 and zero in 5. Anyone can advise on decent builds/nations to fool around while I catch up with the news mechanics?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Returning player here, played a ton of Dom 3, a single game in 4 and zero in 5. Anyone can advise on decent builds/nations to fool around while I catch up with the news mechanics?

Ind, the Magnificent Kingdom of Exalted Virtue!

If only because it's a new nation that is very diverse, so you will be able to practice blesses, communions, blood economy, etc all in one go. It's also a good poster boy of how new nations are designed now, with a higher complexity than the ones in Dom3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A new, if small, update:
(bolding the important stuff :cool:)

quote:

General
Improved automatic site search behavior for rituals
Magic item battle spells could not be scripted unless also researched
Mind Hunt will no longer attempt to target mindless commanders
Infiltration, Lure, etc. now has normal assassin wall climbing restrictions
Plant beings cannot use twiceborn
Hotkey for fire & keep distance didn't work on commanders
Nordic name commanders could get an empty name
Fix for resource accounting bug during repeat recruitment
Soul Slay also prevents Phoenix Pyre, Reincarnation and the Nazca Mummify ability
Directional Dwarf global effect no longer delayed
Directional Dwarf hurricanes will no longer affect underwater provinces
It was not possible to wish for the Directional Dwarves, fixed
Fix for wrong province name in Wish spell
Site cheat mitigation
--blindlog to create a special blind friendly log
ctrl-c print connections for current province to blind log
ctrl-o move to a province by entering the province number
Popup for formation fighter now shows the value of the ability
Fixed Vaetti ages
Nemedian Mages got increased Magic Resistance
Moose are now cold resistant
More popups
More stat & typo fixes

Modding

More robust mod parsing
New monster command: #drawsize
New item command: #itemdrawsize
New spell mod commands: #reqplant, #reqnoplant
Fix for linked randoms with +4

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
For all you mod nation lovers out there, may I present one fresh off the modding presses, a deliciously snuggly confection of wonders? I present my new mod nation:

EA Lemnos, Dream of a Thousand Cats

Lemnos is a nation made almost entirely out of cats, inspired by Neil Gaiman's short story "Dream of a Thousand Cats". From that initial inspiration, I also drew upon Ancient Greek legends of the isle of Lemnos, where the god of sleep Hypnos was said to dwell near the river Lethe. Of course, just as the cats of Lemnos come from all over, so there are more varied influences on the nation.

Download the mod here!

Lemnos consists of five rough groups: The sacred forest-dwelling jaguars, the proud mountain lion kingdoms, the exiled tigers, the housecats who already lived near Lemnos and the humans who serve the cats. None of Lemnos' cats require a fort, although the terrain does somewhat limit what cats you can recruit.

The jaguars are sacred even to the other cats, so a Lemnos focusing on that aspect can field very large numbers of big and fluffy, if low-protection sacreds.

move over mictlan, this is what a REAL jaguar warrior looks like

The reformed Ozelomeh of Lemnos take the sacred strategy a step farther, by being able to summon more of their kind with fire gems.

Of course, there are other strategies available to Lemnos, using other types of cats.

The fearsome lionesses of Lemnos, for example, don't need any veneration in order to triumph, just honour and teamwork.

...And maybe a little help from their big sisters, who have powerful Nature and Earth magic to beef them up even further.

And of course you can't discount the Oneiromancers, who are Lemnos' premier cap-only mages. They have powerful, if scattered, paths and also have the ability to grip things with hands, a capability that any player of Lemnos will learn to appreciate.

Your other option for hand use are these fellows, who are your only fort-requiring and/or human mages. They're not as strong as a proper cat mage but look they're trying their best.

The eagle-eyed reader will have noticed that, despite his devotion, the Servitor mage isn't quite cool enough to lead big cats around. Fortunately, there is a way to solve that deficiency!

Stylish, yet practical

In fact, there are very few units that cannot be improved by some cat ears.

Lemnos also has it's fair share of national spells, from summoning various legendary cats and creatures of the Underworld to this bad boy.

extremely dire

But enough about that, what about the pretender selection?

an eponymous weapon

I assure you that,

no matter what you're looking for in a pretender,

you will not be disappointed by Lemnos' roster.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I hope that EA Lemnos has a national hero with nine death forms.

I also think I've found a new favourite mod nation.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The day has come. Someone has modded cat ears into Dominions.

And it kind of makes sense, even.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

This looks rad - can't wait to try it!

Speaking of trying mods out, I was playing around with Karanaac the other day, when I had the chance to send an Ageless Cromlech into the Arena, after having reached Thaum 5:

I love this game.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

lmao did the cromlech 'die'

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Ramc posted:

lmao did the cromlech 'die'

Don't worry - the cromlech was back in its home province, safe and sound, if a little disappointed in itself.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Has that new dominions Lp started? I checked the forums real quick but did not see it.

I need more pixelmons sacrifices.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As if there aren't 3 or 5 constantly being promised but not delivered on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Has that new dominions Lp started? I checked the forums real quick but did not see it.

I need more pixelmons sacrifices.

In video form, I'm enjoying these two Perun's AARs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVftCzx-49o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxt1uXcqZG8

He plays pretty differently than many Dominions players, very diplomacy focused, and he seems to have professional experience with real world negotiations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Speleothing posted:

As if there aren't 3 or 5 constantly being promised but not delivered on

You should probably ask to speak to the manager.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If I don't get mercilessly owned right off the bat, I'm totally gonna LP this nationgen game that just started up.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I've been half-heartedly screenshotting Battledata

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Speleothing posted:

I've been half-heartedly screenshotting Battledata

I've been saving turns from it as well. And of course Mu's doing something spooky with it too.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBNmGosBT8s

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Post the full report!!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey I started an LP last week and then immediately ate a 1 week probation but I'm back now so here we go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924247

Thanks for reading :ocelot:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, what? I didn't expect a new nation so soon!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 2, 2020

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
fubar

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:eyepop:
Only in Dominions, I guess.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So does that mean this nation can only take imprisoned pretenders, or is the lore only fluff?

Turin Turambar posted:

:eyepop:
Only in Dominions, I guess.

I hate to disappoint you, but salt hurting magical creatures is a thing since ancient Sumerian times.

Have you never stopped to ask why you're supposed to throw salt behind your shoulder for luck? It's because it dispells curses and magic.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
dormant or imprisoned yeah

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Libluini posted:

I hate to disappoint you, but salt hurting magical creatures is a thing since ancient Sumerian times.

Have you never stopped to ask why you're supposed to throw salt behind your shoulder for luck? It's because it dispells curses and magic.

this looks more like a reference to the granular (fnarr) and incredibly varied number of attributes dom5 units can have, rather than shock at the idea of salt hurting things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this looks more like a reference to the granular (fnarr) and incredibly varied number of attributes dom5 units can have, rather than shock at the idea of salt hurting things.

Yep, I referred to the fact of using that real life tidbit as part of a game mechanic or in the nation design. I don't remember lots of other videogames with something as specific as 'this unit is vulnerable to salt'.
I hope that means they also take damage if you give them a fish amulet to go UW. I would be disappointed otherwise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, I referred to the fact of using that real life tidbit as part of a game mechanic or in the nation design. I don't remember lots of other videogames with something as specific as 'this unit is vulnerable to salt'.
I hope that means they also take damage if you give them a fish amulet to go UW. I would be disappointed otherwise.

Eagerly awaiting when the game differentiates between freshwater and salt water bodies of water.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Is this another pay to win DLC nation?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If Dom5 made new nations DLCs I would totally throw :10bux: at each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So briefly glancing at the new nation, one of their cap sites has an interesting new effect.

In total they've got five cap sites, but three of them are listed as "This site is not available from the start, but might appear later on," and do include unit unlocks. Two of them also produce gems, so they're only producing 5 gems a turn prior to them appearing, rather than the EA default 6, but jump up to 7 after.

edit: One of those unlocked units costs SIX commander points.

Random is AES, with an additional 10% chance for FAES.

They've also got a 340 gold spy with Corrupter and magic paths.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 2, 2020