Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
i literally had 10 out of 10 necessary throne points under my control by magic dueling/mind hunting a bunch of indie monoliths and annunkai and i was THIS CLOSE to claiming everything but my insane prophets kept claiming thrones on their own, giving away my position, so finally keisari sieged a throne before i could claim it

i was SO CLOSE to winning as la rlyeh ;_;

looks like

in the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSH--SJKVQQ

I was the man

who sold

the world

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

okay i brought you something

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155404

imgur's not cooperating so you'll have to go here and click the little links for images

screenshotting and commentary credits go to ramc

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

FilthIncarnate posted:

okay i brought you something

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155404

imgur's not cooperating so you'll have to go here and click the little links for images

screenshotting and commentary credits go to ramc

the story told therein is someone trying to field some giant troops without mage support vs a fully operational lategame bandar log

it uh

well you can see how it went for yourself.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

anyway someone won maladies as scales bandar log

who?

don't worry about it

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Mukip posted:

Ouch. Congratz.

turns out bandar log has a really flexible lategame!

(if you manage to get there)

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Libluini posted:

Well, that's just the power of Prester John! :v:

But wow, it's like Illwinter hates fire with the fury of a thousand ice giants: Every fire nation has some goddamn bullshit attached that relegates it to single player (mostly because fire = blood in Illwinterland).

One day, one day I will play a fire nation in multiplayer and not fail like Prester John's worst failson! :argh:

you hear a whisper from afar....carried on the breeze.....

"lavazotz....."

but what could it mean?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Hello friends :) I am a giant gun, or a spirit inhabiting the same; I am totally immobile and all I can do is be a gun, exhibiting perfect gunliness.

My precision stat, you ask? Why, it's

uh

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Torrannor posted:

10 precision for a 1100 year old gun? That's not bad actually!

an ancient spirit of Being A Gun should have slightly better precision than a hastily-levied human militiaman, imo

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

at the very least it's had over a thousand years to practice

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

feeling incredibly victimized rn

unusual choice of words, considering that everyone knows you just won yongle, as hinnom, defeating me and also many other people.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

hm yes that sounds like a thing that Definitely Happened and is certainly independently verifiable

Ya of course

Congrats :)

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Dont bribe purple, just kill them asap.

once purple betrayed their closest ally for ten air gems

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

RockyB posted:

Does nobody do big gloating end-of-game wrapup posts anymore?

erythea won roni

okay bye

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Samog posted:

turtle hoarding knowledge... smh

i don't like the gloating postmortems, they feel "gauche"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

la rlyeh has a unique skillset, with which it is possible to win the game (it's happened).

1) they're the only "water nation" in their era; everything else waterflavored starts on land and gets some amphibious troops. (the lore rationale for this is that the dreamlands of rlyeh drove everyone else out of the ocean) basically this means that, unless LA Atlantis is in the game (since they're custom-built to slaughter rlyeh), you have a strong defensive position.

2) they have a nasty toxic dominion effect (popkill + drives commanders insane), which you should be pushing as much as possible, as an offensive weapon.

you're right that they have trouble coming out of the water in a traditional way; to make up for this, they have what are essentially surgical tools for precise incursions: starkid assassins, mindhunt, vastnesses (and the Uttervast, if you take it as your god), and the very powerful national spell Dreams of Rlyeh let you murder commanders and seize strategic provinces.

it can work! it's just wildly different from a traditional nation; you have to adopt a totally different set of strategies.

remember, you only need to hold enough thrones to win the game for a single turn; what you're doing is angling for that turn.