Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

That Buer ain't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

As Agartha in that game, I also want to congratulate Niefel for sticking around and bouncing back so many times.

Also, this was my second MP game and I'm pleased with how I well I did.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

:whitewater:

e: try and guess who won; earth elemental vs ironskin'd, temper flesh'd, body ethereal'd Mind Lord

I'm guessing the EE due to time out rout.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mu. posted:

The game cods recently concluded and a new Pantokrator has emerged. Here's a recap of the game as derived from the historical Discord record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZbggh430w

Is this video too upbeat for you? Too entertaining? Too short? Are you looking for something far more tedious, like a painstaking video Let's Play taking you through every excruciating turn of the game, from the perspective of a handsome idiot? Reader, do I have the opposite of a treat for you. The playlist starts here,

Mu plays Dominions 5 (cods) Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9GJ-Ny5hI

New videos every four days.

Just to let you know, I'm stealing your Ashdod build for one of my own games, Mu

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alex0080 posted:

I did get the pocket lich when that happened to me. I guess the chimera with a pocket lich is a fixed, but rare thing.

There are a few rare indie provinces with abnormal defenders. There's also one that I think has two titan chassis leading the army.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

0/10 no shield throw

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

xposting from the newbad thread:

Technowolf posted:

Double post, but just wanted to say that I am now not a newbad!

That's right, I've won my first Dominions game as LA Atlantis.

Here's my god:

As you can see, I went with nearly full scales, which allowed me to pump out my really good troops. I was also lucky and was able to get in on an anti-Lemuria coalition and got their cap, which gave me 9 death gems a turn, which is HUGE, especially in the late age where there's a dearth of gem sites. That allowed me to do stuff like spam skeletons and pale riders for chaff. I was also able to get uncontested control of the largest body of water on the map, so I basically had a place where I could build and move armies where almost no one else could reach. That also allowed me to summon Bishop Fish, which are underwater only Holy 3 summons, which helped me capture that final throne.

The game actually got down to the wire. Cataclysm happened and like, three of my thrones go eaten. It was down to 4 VP (2 thrones) for the win when I claimed my last one, and was actually tied with Mictlan. I only won because ties are broken by dominion, and mine was like 2.5x what Mictlan had.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Congratulations on the win!
Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

5 is considered the minimum safe score, 4 can be done if you have good blood sacrificing or inquisitors.
And yes, it was by map candles:

I'm the dark blue line, Mictlan is the light green one.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Donkringel posted:

What has salt as an attack? Only thing I can think of is Golem. Maybe Sea Nations?

There's a craftable salt item

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are u posted:

In all seriousness tho: playing with sa goons is super fun, everybody is very chill, and you will have so much more fun. I have 910 hours in Dominions 5 as of this post and probably 2 or 3 of them were spent playing single player just testing year 1 expansion. If you can do 1 ten minute turn every 25 hours, 1 30 minute turn every 36 hours, and 1 45 minute turn every 48 hours, you can successfully play 95% of goon games.

Try it you will enjoy!

You also get to play in whatever bullshit gimmick games some deranged moron (me) comes up with!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

WombatCyborg posted:

Hey I bought this game for me and a friend to learn and I have no idea how to start a multiplayer game with them. Advice?

Join the ruby discord if you haven't already.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The game overthinkit just concluded. Supposedly a 'shorter' MA game, this one had only nine players:

JonJoe playing Arcoscephale
Kremath playing Ermor
Technowolf (me) playing Ulm
ZipBear playing Caelum
Dr. Bonertron playing C'tis
beardbeard playing Pangaea
Droid playing Shinuyama
PurpleXVI playing Ashdod
Gishou playing Phaeacia

Beard played Pan very aggro and rolled over poor JonJoe pretty quickly. Shortly afterwards, Dr. Bonertron started stomping on poor Gishou and I swooped in to take some pieces (most notably his cap and throne) while Kremath Ermor'd Droid pretty hard. I also started getting a lantern+quill factory pumping out research boosters around this time, especially since I had a decent air income from Phaeacia's cap sites.

Shortly thereafter, Beard attacked me and started trying to elf my provinces. Thankfully I had enough money saved up I was able to set my PD to 25+ in a lot of places, stopping his raiding forces cold. Once I started (slowly) marching my giant infantry and shotgun mage stacks toward Pan, beard decided he was done and went AI. Then I started cheerily clearing up AI Pan when I noticed 3 things:

1) Everyone but me and Dr. Bonertron had gone AI around turn 57
2) Pan had no thrones for me to take
3) Cataclysm was in about 4 turns!!!

As such I started turning my armies toward whatever nearest thrones I could find. Took an indie one that I had been letting sit for way too long and nicked a L1 throne from Ermor. In the end I won. Why?

Nobody else even tried to take thrones!

Your new Pantokrator:

Map at the end:

Graphs:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Any Dom5 LP channel recommendations? I already follow Mu, wanted some more.

LucidTactics does regular Dom5 stuff. GeneralConfusion also has a lot of Dom5 videos, though they've not posted a lot recently.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just got it for $20 at some place that the deal plugin pointed me to. Got the game but no email so I can't remember where.

Edit: How the gently caress do I play this game.

Leap into a multiplayer game and get your rear end kicked.

Worked well for me.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Unfortunately I can't commit to a multiplayer game until all my kids are dead, but as a middle schooler I struggled to master Master of Magic so I'm sure the bots will be plenty challenging for me.

This isn't like an mmo or anything. Turns can take like 15 minutes or so once a day. You're not gonna be spending 8+ hrs finishing a game in one night.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

or 160 barbarians

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Sea of Ice is still the best spell in the game, lock those icky underwater nations away where they can do little harm, and stop those stupid elves from raiding your coastlines.

Underwaters are usually banned anyway

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I was Bandar Log in that game and Tagichatn managed to get me to pay him to win the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jazerus posted:

pegasus riders can be good indie sacreds. it's hard to mass enough of them to matter, and you obviously can't plan a strategy around access to them, but if things work out you can field an arco-style army that might really hurt stacks that aren't in anti-flyer formation

The other amazon sacreds can be decent if you have a decent bless as well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm thinking about having another go at this after playing a couple of games at launch, but the nation list is scaring me. Any advice on which nations to avoid? I'm looking for something not gimmicky or overwhelming with options but with at least some variety. Looking at the EA list, this is what interest me:

- Arcoscephale: Mostly because domkilling people with sceptics seems very funny, but I have no idea how viable it is.
- Tien Chi: I seen to remember basic dudes could carry you through early game, plus a variety of magic. And a Fish God
- Abysia: Seems completely straightforward. Plus maybe I'll finaly understand blood magic?
- Pangaea: One of the games I played. White Centaurs killed everything until a thousand elves sneaked in and killed my dudes.
- Tir na N'Og: Elves but not completely elves.
- Rus: Mostly because the name Chuds gave me a chuckle.
- Ur: Because of the CYOA thread, which I should caught up to. Lot of units in the preview, though.

Any bad nations for a new player in there?

My thoughts (be forewarned I am bad, but have a lot of experience being bad):

- Arcoscephale: Domkilling is basically impossible in Dom 5. Still a solid nation, though, and probably pretty easy for a newbie to pilot.
- TC: Fish God is bad. Don't be lured in by Fish God. Otherwise, fairly decent sacreds, especially with the right bless. The SA community discord plays with a mod called JBBM that drastically changes this nation.
- Abysia: Really one-dimensional, and countered hard by mid- to late-game magic unless you go really hard into blood and do it well. Not recommended for a new player.
- Pangaea: Really powerful nation. You can use your sneaky dudes to reverse-elf the elf nations. JBBM nerfs this hard so don't go into an SA multiplayer game expecting to steamroll everyone.
- TNN: The weakest of the elf nations. I would try Vanheim or Helheim first.
- Rus: Fairly decent human nation. Could struggle late game with its lackluster magic paths though.
- Ur: Avoid at all costs. Troops are a lot weaker than they should be for half giants. Magic is mediocre. Best mage requires getting access to a swamp and those aren't common.

I'd recommend reading this nations guide. It'll give you a decent overview of the magic paths, troops, and commanders available to most nations (still a WIP, but I think EA is done) as well as some general advice on the play style each nation focuses on.

If you want I could give you a link to the SA Dominions discord and you could ask questions in there of people who are much better at this than me, like forums superstars RamC and filthincarnate (both of whom have fairly recent Let's Plays available).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Also, make sure that your ranged troops are in separate squads from your melee troops.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

jBrereton is on the SA Dominions discord where you can ask him, and other mod authors, directly. And sign up for MP games.

I can drop a link if anyone wants to join us.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pick another nation and god.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

LordSloth posted:

And none of the rituals can result in demons eating your face.

Then what's the point of playing them?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do you not always retrieve magic items from dead units after battle? Had a fully loaded Bane go down and lost all of the items with it, didn't pick up a single one :/

Nope, its a % chance to pick up each item after a battle.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zereth posted:

Huh. The Dryad seems to actually want a lot of iron for upgrading freespawn at cities or castles. This is not what I was expecting going in.

exactly how far apart do groves have to be? Also, I was offered a whole one dryad so far but didn't have enough cash on hand to hire her so I've got a massive two spellcasters and one is a centaur that just has a couple buffs that I have no idea what they do :negative:

You can right click on spells and get an explanation of what they do.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Det_no posted:

Haven't played Dominions in like two years and CoE made me want to get back into it. Any important mods or tools I should be aware of? Balance mods, map-making tools, anything like that? Better Arena and Worthy Heroes were often recommended back in the day.

J. Brereton's Balance Mod (JBBM) is what the SA-affiliated discord uses.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Re-tune Blood magic to use the sacrifice mechanic from CoE 5

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Pipsisewah posted:

I have finally taken the plunge and bought Dom 5. Could I get a link to the ruby discord?

https://discord.gg/jvmxC5zA

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

Decided to finally buy this after taking a break from 4, could someone hit me with a discord invite please?

https://discord.gg/xyxw5pxu

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

could i get a discord invite? finally wanting to start noobin' in MP now that i have the time

https://discord.gg/XtudChzc

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

So only LA Agartha (and everyone with wish) gets to fix Tartarians? Was there some other remaining way to heal them?

The Chalice IIRC

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

my dad posted:

LA Jomon is humans getting their poo poo together and forging an alliance with the Dragon King. LA Atlantis is narratively an improvement - they've been on the run from R'Lyeh, they've lost their homes, they had to make compromises, but now they're finally ready to kick R'Lyeh's rear end back to the void, and have everything they need to do it. LA Man is given a positive storyline if you activate story events - things went bad, but they recovered, and the witches will return. Outside of the whole "aristocrats so incestuous they make the habsburgs blush" LA Erythea is a place of progress. LA Arco is also advancing in a generally good way.

MA, Phaecia is an improvement over the burrito, Na'Ba becomes a better place, Uruk gets its poo poo together, etc.

I won't comment on the new additions in 6.

LA Phaecia, Na'Ba, and Uruk confirmed

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hinnom/Ashdod/Gath are the Israelite nations - a lot of the Nephilim and Rephaim lore comes from Jewish mythology, Gath has the 12 tribes, etc.

Ragha is more Persia or one of the Caucasian nations than Middle East

Abysia is just 'generic evil fire nation'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Do we have a release date yet

11:59:59 12/31/23