Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
After playing three games against the AI yesterday I remembered what ultimately made me quit Dom 4, being unable to figure out exactly what was going wrong when it goes wrong. Dom 5 helps a bit in this regard, but it's still really difficult at times. For example, my last game I was playing Tian'Chi (name might be off, it's the nation with the Five Elements sacred units that are ambidextrous. I had a magical weapon bless with a few other minor bonuses, notable animal awe from a throne, and I was fighting Sauromatia (also probably wrong name) that was fielding lots of small hydra's with these insane cavalry that had partial invulnerability. My army was mostly the sacred units, heavy infantry with spears and shields, with Celestial Dogs and Demon of Heavenly Fire summoned units.

In theory, as far as I can tell, I should have crushed the AI. They were fielding more units, but mine were sturdier, I had magical damage to beat their partial invulnerability on the cav, my morale was pretty high to offset the occasional fear unit, and even had the animal awe bless for their hydra's. And yet once I'd secured two out of the four thrones they started throwing a large horde at me with their pretender god and I couldn't put a dent in it. My frontline damage soakers would fail morale checks far often than they should have for the fear being put out, their fliers would somehow target my mages through a couple dozen bodyguard units, and a few points difference in attack/defense skill with their special cav meant I'd lose 3-4 five element sacred to their one cav unit, which was just unsustainable.

And other than that last item, I couldn't figure out what was happening or why. I can only assume some of the buffs and spells they had in their back pocket was making a difference, but trying to figure out that requires writing down the spell, finding it in the school list, and looking it up that way. Some of which may not even be there because they're nation or bless specific. I'm fine with losing but not being able to figure out why I'm losing so I can improve makes it seem pointless to keep playing and work out how to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

gonadic io posted:

One at a time like a peasant?? Looking in the dom4 viewer, there are 3 different unique items at Construction 8 that give +H that I could use in the late game.

When quality fails, quantity has your back, even if it means like 10 priests spread out around your army to get it done.

Turin Turambar posted:

-Your mere Pretender presence on the battlefield is an automatic bless to everyone

I think that only applies in your Dominion though, which can be an important detail.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

the actual factual easiest nation in the game is middle nazca because you just take a a7w10 awake frost father and recruit as many condor warriors per turn as you can from your capital and an inca every two turns and have your god read books until he can cast call condors. then you get 20 condors per cast and they attack 4 times a turn and destroy everything and its absurd. you can make a single royal mallqui to site search and then literally just cast divine blessing with a inca with 3 of any sacred on guard commander and your invincible god birds effortlessly destroy everything in front of them

As if that wasn't bad enough when your Inca's die they come back as Mallqui's which can reanimate two ethereal sacred undead versions of Condor Warriors per turn. Because when you're shoving a stick down your opponents throat you might as well make it spiny and extra large.