Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I recorded some dominions 5 during the end of the beta, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdmgLZhoBc (so far there are like 27 turns, game is in progress and will probably end at about 30-40?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Naksu posted:

I beta-tested this game, kinda.

Ask me about destroying jbrereton
Did you ever recover from the battle after where we both killed everything of each other's?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol that the last patch included a fix for too many dang units exploding making the game break.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

So...there's a hard timer of sorts on games now, other than simply people getting more power? Everyone can lose? Can someone explain that last screenshot, please?
If you turn on a special condition called Cataclysm (where you set a turn and horrors attack after then), the game can end if all the thrones get eaten.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Taking the Air go fast bless x5 gives your units +150% combat speed. Taking Water's quickness adds 100% combat speed, and these will stack and multiply together to get up a total of 5x combat speed if you take them both.
The fastest unit in the game with a lance are White Centaurs, who handily come on a faction that gets good access to Gift of the Hare to raise their CS to 200%, then have that quickness'd, for an eye watering 174 combat speed. It's Good.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 28, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

i can't wait to buy dom 5 when i have actual money!!!

and then make more pd!!!!!!
You can take achingly close to full scales with a blood fountain now, which further helps scalesers (1 negative scale, such as heat/cold, will get you O3/P3/G3/L3/M3 imprisoned with some dom)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

clown mod gifs

clown mod for dom5 when
It's out and was linked in the last thread!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf645cy7vi9m53w/clowns_dom5.7z?dl=0

e:

Turin Turambar posted:

This is one of the slightly obscure mechanics that stumpt new players:

There are three basic ways to bless your sacreds:
-Your mere Pretender presence on the battlefield is an automatic bless to everyone
-H3 priests can cast Divine Blessing.
-Other priests can cast normal blessing. It's an area of effect spell (so not one at a time like a peasant). It's recommended for your sacreds to have 'hold and attack' orders, so they have time to receive the bless.
For the new Trinity gods, you need all 3 in the same province to autobless, incidentally.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 29, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

pretender still blesses everything on your team every turn outside of your dominion, it just loses the bless effect on itself.
Your prophet is also not blessed in enemy dominion nowadays but can still cast H3 spells.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Modding question here- I want to move MA Marignon into the LA, and also have LA Marignon in it as well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Any help?
#modname "MA and also LA Mari in LA"
#description "Puts MA Marignon into LA, as well as LA Marignon, which remains in the Late Era."

#selectnation 50 -- MA Mari
#era 3
#end

#end

^^ tested it, works.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

i bought dominions 4 during the sale for like $7 to see if i'd be interested in dropping a lot mroe on 5. is there any kind of beginner's info stuff available? there's a massive mess of spells with fairly rough distinctions between them (i know remote site searching is a thing, but those spells aren't exactly all grouped together. there's a bundle in thaumaturgy, but then also the death one is in conjuration? are there others that i'm missing? there's pretty much no way to find out without going through every single spell in the game)
Site searching spells:

Augury (F) is F2 Thaum 3
Auspex (A) is A2 Thaum 4
Voice of Apsu (W on land) is W2 Conj 4
Voice of Tiamat (FAWE underwater) is W2 Conj 5
Gnome Lore (E) is E2 Thaum 4
Arcane Probing (S) is S1 Evo 3
Acashic Knowledge (FAWEDNBH) is S3 Conj 6
Dark Knowledge (D) is D1 Conj 3
Haruspex (N) is N2 Thaum 3
Bowl of Blood (B) is B1 Blood 2

quote:

in general i've just been kinda flailing about trying to figure out what magic is worthwhile (most of it isn't?). i've managed to get some pretty high level casters, now what do i do with them?
Depends on your high level caster!

In general as EA Ulm you have a ton of early troop buffs in E, like Strength of Giants (+4 strength, so +4 damage per attack) and Legions of Steel (handy versus archers), debuffs like Destruction which delete enemy armour, or Earth Meld which hold enemies in place, plus later on you ways to clear unarmoured mages with Rain of Stones at E3A1 on Warrior Smiths (even at E1A1 this is possible in vanilla, you use 1 gem to cast Summon Earthpower, and then two to cast Rain of Stones), and good damage spells like Magma Eruption, plus a little bit of potential skelespam on top with your light D casters. You can also Flaming Arrows with any Warrior Smiths you get at F2, although if you're using unshielded troops without Arrow Fend up it might not necessarily be a great idea.

I'd get the basic magic down pat before worrying about thugging and so on. Learn what the first 4 or 5 levels will do for you/your enemies and go from there.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

thanks for the info! so it sounds like i should be building a ton of troops to buff as EA ulm then? i was trying to avoid that aside from sacreds since i've pretty much always heard that mages decide battles and troops fall off in effectiveness fast (especially in EA?)
Yeah, absolutely. EA Ulm also gets pretty uncommonly large access to national troops outside of their forts; quite a lot of nations get nothing, but they get warriors pretty much everywhere, and special troops in mountains/forests.

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, I think he also did MA and LA...
yes but they are making a clowns nations.dm joke

CommissarMega posted:

I tried it, and I still can't seem to pit MA Marignon and LA Marignon against each other. Here's my code (also I wanted the divine Glyph because as a Muslim, I feel kinda compelled to use it):
OK thing #1, if you want to give the divine glyph to everyone for personal reasons, the best way to do that is to #selectmonster 1025, #homerealm 10, #end. That'll put it in the same pool of default gods as the arch mage, earth snek etc.

For the Marignon thing, try this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i33be0tnwg9iqb/MALAmari.dm?dl=0 (there's more code than I'd like to post in the thread because changing names means having to redo the #descr, #summary and #brief of a nation - even then MA Marignon is currently not displaying its descriptions and so on right because it shares a kingdom name with LA Mari, which is great stuff, but it does run)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I would say that overall through the beta and into right now I have come to like misfortune and at least minor order/prod/growth (like O1 at the very least) when I always used to run L3, because the turmoil events you can get despite running luck now are so devastating that it's pretty much never worth it anymore.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Van/TNN is the best at sucker punching people since they can't see your glamoured stuff, and especially in dom 5 you can sneak through a prov or too as well on turn 0 of your mega stealth attack, which is extra nice. Pan you can sneakily move, but as soon as your 400 guys are surprisingly not obviously on the border anymore there is only one place they can be (unfortunately for wily people who notice this, 400 pan men will obliterate any kingdom).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

yeah but you can forge it with a weaker mage i think right?
yeah B3F1 rather than B7F1

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I guess I'll buy this during the next sale and do blitzes or something? Since I don't have time for real games still. I will also take a swing at updating the mod inspector at that point if it isn't already done.
The guy responsible for it is apparently working on the next version right now.

Also hi! We thought something terrible had happened to you at Burning Man due to your disappearance from IRC.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fort/Regen is almost unquestionably The Best One, since you get a big prot bonus on your pretender as well as slash/pierce/blunt res, and N7 regen stacks with spell regen to provide A Lot of regen inside your own dominion at ench 2/Conj 4. It also never really goes out of style as a troop buff since Temper Flesh is not easy to replicate on a lot of stuff.

The one downside is you get a sort of mediocre banish/smite compared to N.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 2, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

boho posted:

Two questions:

Is there anything in the way of AI modding for the dominions series, aside from recruitment filtering? I don't expect the AI to adapt and run a counter to the strategy I'm using, but it'd be nice to see them go for thrones, cast globals, try to dispel, etc.
AI things you can change:

- Recruitment
- Nation-specific god selection which I believe they are not 100% bound to follow but will try hard to

quote:

What are some of the classic late-game strategies?
Run the timer right up to 48 hours while casting the spells that kill a lot of mages/ruin provs to thoroughly piss off your opponents until they steadily drop out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One of the main differences between Dominions + Civilization is that the game map actively degrades in quality most of the time, and there isn't a lot you can do to fix it up (particularly if there are domkill nations on the map, which is one of the reasons they're usually banned in MP here).

Research is almost exclusively about widening your options in battles. There are like a handful of ways to improve the map/outputs with spells, including nation-specific gold/resource enchantments, but in the base game you can't have your commanders build a farm that consistently adds pop, or a mine that adds resource output/gold or similar.

If you got a little bit into modding you could change that pretty easily, but especially before the new Cataclysm game-ending condition, the worsening map is quite an important way that games have a natural end, which is I think why people didn't tend to add such things.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fir bolg own m8

Eriu as a nation is fairly pish though, a good one after ulm is something like Ashdod, who have enough common ground with the magic of Ulm to be readily understandable while also doing quite a lot of different stuff (esp death).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 3, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Those units only being recruitable in caps is due to them not being included on nation recruitment lists and instead being tied to the special start sites that start in the cap (as far as I know)
Correct, the #homemon tag on a startsite for a nation will bring it up in the nation description while restricting it to a capital site.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Okay I take it back, these Fir Bolg have been doing pretty well against indies based purely on their K:D ratio.

From a "learning the game" standpoint though, I can't really figure out -why- they're good though. They're cheap and have good defense, but most everything else is just barely on the better side of average (and with lovely Protection). And they aren't sacred.
pacino_game_of_inches.rm but with a locker room full of ginger guys who are somewhat more buff than a normal guy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

Do withering weapons count as magical?
Not inherently for the purpose of making your regular attacks hit ethereal and invulnerable troops.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Will the recuperation trait remove diseases?
Yes, it will remove any affliction, provided you are not Old.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Presumably the pantokrator smashed up his boat.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This but mapgoods LA

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

Oh, huh - I didn't realize they added actual units and traits and poo poo in the patches.
During Dom 4 we got:

- Half a dozen or so totally new nations
- Innate casting
- Yuge changes to everything Zoroastrian + Agarthan
- Event modding
- Land recruitment for underwater nations (at least through modding even if they didn't do it in vanilla)
- Bunch of unit commands
- GUI upgrades like Communion master/slave icons + info
- Stat fixes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
On Yomi? No. Or at least it would require having an innate AN to use N gems for Tengus as well as everything else.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you know the fort is otherwise p much empty, the way to kill a PG like a monolith as MA Ulm is to use the spell Shatter after closing a few times with Attack orders.

Turin Turambar posted:

I was reviewing LA Eyrtheia, and I'm not sure what to do with them.
Make Daduchos on every coast province in the game and make flaming crossbowmen + stronger hoplites plus whatever magic the enemy is weakest to. The ones with the most paths are the slaves, because that is the simplest way to deal with non-pathed fatigue penalties. Prince / princess is pretty much only useful for getting one of each as a smiter at the start of the game given they're 4rp instead of 2.

Underwater gets you a decent RP mage so it is Useful.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Absum posted:

I haven't really used it yet but didn't they add the Advance and cast spells order for stuff like this?
Advance and cast is not something you can script in your first 5 so it's v much a Jesus Take The Wheel option

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

you just need to connect to download your turn file, and then also connect again to upload your turn when you are done. generally people just connect and stay connected as they play their turn since thats easier.
This will incidentally absolutely rinse your bandwidth if you are in a place where that matters, whereas connecting, doing your turn, and then uploading it to the server uses very little.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, is this Hero a joke?

He is a plague carrier so he will disease your own troops. You can't kill him into an enemy army because he is immortal and he will reappear in your capital, diseasing more people. And with those stats you can't make a thug to raid the enemy. I can only think of trying to give him stealth ability with a item and send it to enemy lands.
He owns and has been in the game forever.

It's also really useful to have a cloud trap capable immortal since you can give him a couple of gems and make him burn any enemy army's gem supply pretty much risk free.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

plague carrier iirc just means anyone near him in a fight will get diseased, it isn't the population kill like with a bane venom charm. His paths are very good.
Correct, it isn't the same as the reaper tag.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here is a mod, which makes Vamp Lord/Count/Lichcraft/Call the Worm That Walks/Wraith Lord into transformation rather than summoning spells.

Ideally, this would preclude undeads/lifeless/mindless casting it, but that is not possible due to #spec values not stopping 10130 from affecting mindless, lifeless, or undeads casting things as of this patch. Maybe that'll change, but for now it still cuts down on vamps in particular drastically.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Some of the trinket weapons are very usable, specifically spears on a unit with worse than a spear

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

pedro0930 posted:

I assume for repelling and not getting repelled?
Just good stats in general for the enchanted spear.

quote:

Is there any good AoE weapon option besides fire brand and frost brand? Mace of Eruption looks like a mini fire brand. The chain lighting whip might work similarly. Although their AoE damage number seems a bit too low.
Mace of Eruption is a fire brand. Chain Lightning Whip will inevitably stun its wielder at the worst times because of how shock damage + res interact now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This is an update for the old Allied Rec mod for Dom 5.

What is Allied Rec?

You put a basic commander (almost always the cheapest 1 rec point commander - an exception is Erytheia, who uses their cheapest Amphibious commander for this) on top of an ally's fort, and a site spawns, allowing recruitment of 3 different troops from your nation. If they leave, the site goes away.

Mainly they're medium infantry/archers, but it does mean that for example allies of Caelum will get access to flying troops, or Abysian allies will get access to units with heat auras.

Main snag is that you can't give Wait orders to units stationed in friendly provinces, so you will end the turn with an idle commander warning, but that's out of my control.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

at least one of them is a professor at some university in sweden, mathematics i think
Theology!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

So man is now another mass thunderstrike communion nation? That might actually make them good.
Take the Morrigna with blood, and twiceborned hellpower bomb people with the ones that take 25 priest turns to bring back bing bong very simple.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

How many negative mage levels do the trinity gods get when apart?
Halved rounded down, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here is a new and wondrous mod that adds a bunch of things to Yomi to make them a) more interesting, and b) better

What specifically does it add?:

- Prophetshapes for their commanders. Phophetshaped Bandit Leaders get pillagier, Bakemono attract their friends, Demon Generals can build fortresses, Shugos attract 2 Kuro-Oni per turn, and Dai Oni allow you to recruit a new sacred oni in your capital. There is a turn 1 event to remind you of this (press i on your capital if you ever forget!). I could not make it t0, I think.

- New fort recruits. Attendants are guys who are trying to show off to the Oni, and are high quality if not very well armoured naginata troops. They are only 11 gold instead of about 15ish because the nation still only gets 75% income (I cannot mod this). Ritualists are sacred and have censers which do poison damage, but they get shot up rather easily and are quite recpoint heavy on a faction with bad forts.

- Bandits and Bakemono are cheaper where there is Turmoil. Since Turmoil can be a complete disaster in Dom 5 but the faction is supposed to have it, I thought this was a reasonable idea. The faction also spreads turmoil even without End of Weakness up.

- Oni have Slothpower as they always should have.

- Demon Priests now have 5 RP and divine inspired researcher (a bit like an MA Man Monk), and Namanari are reduced down to 1 commander rec point and are recruitable in swamps as well as Highlands without a fort (but are also down to 5 RP). There is a new Mountain Sage who is recruitable in mountains for 105 gold and 2 comrec. A1 100% (AEND) means you get native access to Karasa Tengus.

- Namanaris can turn into a W2D1N2 mage called a Yomotsu, which is a spy, with a spell you can cast in swamps for 12 gems. This means you can get Nushi later without building your pretender to do it.

- Some new events that promote using the Raid command.

- Your start army is now 15 Ko-Oni and 10 Oni.