Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Technowolf posted:

You also get to play in whatever bullshit gimmick games some deranged moron (me) comes up with!

Speaking of bullshit gimmick games -- one late night people waiting to draft for a different bullshit gimmick game started thinking, and got the idea of a sealed pool nationgen draft game.

That is, you get 5 freshly generated nations, from which you draft a single nation using the basicdraft rules -- you pick the recruit-everywhere troops from one nation, recruit-everywhere mages from another, and everything else (including any cap-only commanders and troops, sites, spells, etc) from a third. (And those can all be the same nation if you are boring.)

If you feel like everything you've gotten is trash, you can choose to discard your pool, but you get one less nation on your reroll. Two of us have done this 3 times so far.

There are still two open slots if you feel like playing terribad nations. Lobby is #sealedpooldraftnationgen on discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gort posted:

Uruk's fine though, isn't it?

OOrochi posted:

Uruk’s okay. They’re definitely on the weaker end of MA nations, but they are at least functional. I don’t really see what they’d get from a Scorpion King though, since it’s a thoroughly mediocre expander whose paths don’t really unlock any of Uruk’s national things.

Yeah, Uruk is not anywhere near the strong end of MA, but imho Naditus on their own can make a nation passable.

Scorpion king is bad for Uruk because taking regen with it is too expensive. Regen is imho the best Uruk bless because it helps with both the units and the mages.

If I had to use the scorpion king, I'd maybe take just a minimal 2x reinvig bless and like a second point of fire. Then all points into scales, with low domscore. Try to rely on Iron warriors until midgame, then mass gazillion Naditus and either set them up as a nasty communion or bring a banner of the northern star and cast paralyze.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TGG posted:

Fire is probably the worst, yep! Nature at least had Howl and poo poo like that.

... Nature is one of the strongest paths. Worse than astral or blood, but at least on par with death. It has tons of great spells for different occasions, including, off the top of my head:

-- mass regen
-- serpent's blessing
-- about 5 different usable ways to poison someone, at various different tech levels
-- howl
-- charm
-- polymorph
-- poo poo ton of useful low-end summons
-- faerie court
-- gift of health
-- gift of nature's bounty
-- worms that walk

Many of the top-tier nations are nature primary, and greatly benefit from it, and if something else is my primary, nature is generally the one I would most like for a secondary.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let your god respec its magic and dominion every X number of turns in response to changing circumstances :q:

probs would need like a redesign of the whole game, e.g. different chassises being restricted to only having certain paths, or pretenders not being able to cast globals or something. but it'd be funny

Just require you to empower the paths you need for your bless on your PG, and then add a "respec bless" order on it that it can do at a temple (and which consumes it's turn).

Also, if you lose paths, you also lose the related bless. :moreevil:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ristolaz posted:

My granmpa always said 5 in any research school is plenty

Your gran liked air nations, I suppose?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

All the links to the discord that I can find are dead, can I get one?

https://discord.gg/fAQG7pPm

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

So when do you guys think dom6 will release? I think probably sooner than later.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Specifically asking because I distinctly remember Dom4 only going for deep sale fairly close to Dom5 release.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

There's one interesting additional role for tarts where they have probably been more useful for me than all other roles put together: a tart carrying gems is rated very highly as a threat by the battle ai and will very reliably trigger enemy gem use.

This is particularly useful for any tarts that roll a2 or enough s to allow magic-phase travel. I have won battles with hundreds of gems invested by both sides by dropping a magic-phase tart with a few gems casting whatever and then walking my army over on the same turn. Late-game armies that depend on big spells can be fragile to disruption of any kind.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is there a communion/sabbath calculator anywhere? I found a dom4 one on github and some old forum posts talking about one thats 404'd. I'd ask in the discord but that would involve using discord

Do you have troops to protect the mage line from enemies in the castle? (Need just a few if the enemy has no fliers, need more if they do.) Do you have Thau 4 and Conj 4 researched?

If answer to both is yes, don't much around making a ridiculous communion. Just cast light of the northern star (might need a tiny communion for it, but ideally you instead boost a nerd to S3 with items and cast it with 3 gems so it goes up faster), and once it's up, script everyone to cast 3x paralyze (the first 2 spells can be body ethereal or luck to help the troops.)

Mass paralyze is almost certainly going to be more powerful than whatever you can tinker together with a complex communion.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

For newbie help, also note that the underwater site searching spell Voice of Tiamat (conj 5, w2, 8 gems) finds not just water, but all elemental sites. It is absolutely worth it to cast it on every province, as it allows you find gem types you have no paths for, letting you empower into those paths.

Spell site searching is also a lot less micro intensive than doing it manually (a monthly cast of a site searching spell changes targets every month), and ea Rlyeh can search everything but N with spells underwater without any empowers, and N too once you spend 30N to empower a slave mage with N1 (dark knowledge, d1, conj 3, 4 gems, arcane probing evo 3, s1, 3 gems, haruspex, thau 3, N2, 2 gems).

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Communist Thoughts posted:

My wish for dom6 would be automation or overhaul of the gem finding system,
it makes sense that there needs to be a currency for spells and items and that you have a sort of opportunity cost for gathering it (that becomes a time and effort tax, can you be bothered to do this every turn to stay ahead?) but I hate doing it.

If I have to do it this way I want a gem patrol stance that automatically pathfinds the wizard to the nearest friendly territory that's unsearched by their school and level and I can just leave that on and let them get into all kinds of trouble

It's probably the number one thing that puts me off playing a game.
That and army micro but I'm not sure how to fix that, maybe if the ui was better

Use spells. Seriously, I know that it's not very gem-efficient, but gently caress that noise. I basically never manually search for a gem type after I have a caster and enough income in it to fire off a seach spell every turn. A caster on repeat cast sitesearch spell will hit a new, unsearched province each turn, and cancel the order if they can't reach any valid target.

And, as I like to tell myself, even if it's less gem-efficient, it's twice as efficient in mage turns, helping your early research, and it means you find all the sites, not just the first few levels. Some high-level sites can be gamechanging if you find them early (or even if you find them late...), like the Ultimate Gateway, with it's casual 40% conjuration spell discount.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

You joke, but compared to more... normal fantasy strategy games, Dominions isn't that far away from that. You have to manage the full gear loadout+gems+battle position+bodyguards+scripts of 80-100 commanders in big games. In other 4x games, the equivalent are 'hero' units, and you have the 4-6 of them.

It would help so loving much if you could select multiple commanders, and then do an action to all of them on one go.

Or even better, drag mages to troop positions under a commander, and then give orders to the "squad" of them. And give gems to the squad, which they would share amongst themselves.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mu. posted:

I assume they're Glamour gems. Steam page says this:

Assuming this means that phantasmal warrior/wolves are no longer air spells, this is a massive buff to air. Air has a staying power problem because if you research any alteration, after scripts run out your mages will refuse to cast useful spells. If phantasms are removed, only useful spells remain.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

For the earlier parts of the game, yes. Battlefield-wide spells being further away means that getting that far in research is more important. But unless they seriously buff the wide-area resistance spells, after you actually get firestorm, it doesn't really matter how many non-fireproof units your opponent brings to the field.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I would assume events that are good... to your population, not you. Or tax/recpoint/prod reduction because everyone is too lucky to bother going to work.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

jsoh posted:

whys anyone talking about leaks we are allowed to say stuff. anyway the army setup screen has labels for whats in a squad on the squad placing thing and from the squad placing thing you can give orders to commanders and squads and also theres a option to target a province for orders and combine armies that are already there, armies that are moving there, and armies that are magically moving there

Does there exist a way to give the same mage script to multiple mages at the same time? Or move multiple mages to a different spot on the battlefield without clicking them one at a time.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Copy-paste involves hitting a key for each commander, every time you are doing changes.

There is already a way for selecting multiple commanders. Why can you not move/script them all at once?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

-New spell: G1E1 spell to summon 5 kobolds that give +5 res each to the province.
Hail to the new dump sloth meta?

Turin Turambar posted:

-There is a ‘blur’ glamour bless (-2 to att and def on the enemy) and ‘displacement’ glamour bless (5-/-5).

Wow that seems powerful.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Is spirit sight in glamour now?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The mages will already pretty reliably do that so long as there is a square with more total hp in range.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

LA Agartha's national Death mages gained the ability to heal corporal (non-ethereal/spiritform) undead. Yes, presumably this includes Tartarians. The ability has the slightly quaint name of "Corpse Stitcher" and ranges from 1 (Attendant of the Dead) to 5 (Ktonian Necromancer).
Gift of Health was changed to not affect lifeless &undead units.
So only LA Agartha (and everyone with wish) gets to fix Tartarians? Was there some other remaining way to heal them?

Turin Turambar posted:

Blood blesses: Enchanted Blood: B4, 0.5 HP regeneration/round, +1 MR, profuse bleeding stops instantly.

Does that get rounded up to one point, or how does it work? And that's regen that does not scale with hp pool size?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is it to late to spitball a couple of thoughts about site searching? I think it's a shame that a lot of the cool level 4 sites will almost never be relevant, because they're rare or unique in the first place, and because high-level mages tend to have more important things to do than to search provinces again you've already been over.

Use spells.

I only ever do manual site-searching in the beginning to kickstart the gem economy, after that it's just so much less micro to use site-searching spells that I would use them even if it was less efficient. (A mage casting a site-searching spell on repeat will pick a new province every turn.) And I honestly don't think it's even less efficient, yes it costs some gems, but it's twice as efficient in mage-turns, and level 1 or 2 caster can find all sites. If you have a reasonable mid-game empire of like 30-40 provinces, the odds are in your favor that you'll find at least one high-level site that gives the kind of bonus that's meaningful for your endgame. Also, so many hard-to-find sites that have interesting recruitables on them, it can open you whole new paths.

(Although at least for me, alteration 20% bonus sites are trapped, because whenever I find one I stop doing things that would help me win the game and start building inane wish gem fountains.)

The spells are:

FNEA: Thau 4 or less, WD: Conj 4 or less, S: Evo 3, off the top of my head.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kitfox88 posted:

mod that gives every province the connection turn 1
Mod that makes the spell s1 1 gem thau 1.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dolash posted:

How do you counter Sidhe Lords and Tuatha? My friend and I are getting back into this after a while (not that I was ever any good), and I've been playing as Ulm vs. his Eriu and getting raided to absolute heck by these guys. I feel like I should be able to forge a good counter, but my path and gem options are pretty narrow (hope you like earth and fire)

How is your tech?

One counter that I always find funny is that if you have some fire gem income, a smith with a hammer can make a medallion of vengeance for 1 gem each. Attach to scouts with orders to bravely attack closest. 20 AP Fire attack with 10 AoE should take out a sidhe lord about half the time, a bit less if he starts the battle by casting elemental fortitude.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pipski posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but when you guys talk about 'elfs' in a Dominions context, what exactly does it mean? I've never really understood what's being characterised by that.

Glamour + stealth ( + usually high movement), and very high cost units. It encourages a specific playstyle where you preferentially hit provinces that have neither forts nor enemy armies in them. The prototypical experience of being elfed is that turn x you are at peace and chilling out, and turn x+1 every single province of yours that hasn't got a fort has changed ownership, and many of your forts have had their pd killed and have assholes sieging them. It's very similar to the experience of being birded, except being birded is worse because it takes a lot less preparation so it's easier to pull off.

I can have borders without treaties and not be overly alarmed with most nations, but if I neighbour an elf or a bird, and they don't agree to a NAP with me, I'll probably invade them first at the earliest possible time because the alternative is worse.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Are there glamour boost items or spells?

Does false damage kill you real dead? Because if yes, that evo spell seems rather powerful.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Libluini posted:

1-month sounds a bit situational, I'd liked that spell if it had the ability to drop more gems for more time. Better hope your battle plans work out if you depend on that boost!

To me, it seems more useful for out-of-battle contexts, like on that S3G3 as a way to get to wish or nexus a bit cheaper.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

jsoh posted:

false damage is fake, so healing and regen and vengeance doesn't work on it. doing ten false damage to a guy with ten hp let's them roll to not die but I think doing 9 false damage and one real damage to a guy with ten hp just kills them. so doing 99 false damage to a guy with 100 hp and regen let's the next one damage hit kill them

Don't they get separate mr negates checks for every attack, like phantom warriors in dom5? Do they get a separate check for the last hp?

jsoh posted:

the indirect effect for being a glamour mage is fake regen yeah

Wait, how does that work?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

-News air bless: A3 for Unsurroundable 2.
Great for elves that depend on def, and so, so cheap.

Turin Turambar posted:

-Floating bless, it halves the armor encumbrance penalty
Making blindfighters viable?

Turin Turambar posted:

-There's a life drain weapons bless too. B8D4, AN 3 life drain.
This is amazing for so many units. And also great paths for an endgame mage.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Even better (or worse for enemies). Life Drain on Ozelots. :P

... Yeah that's +3x 3AN attacks per turn per unit, with life drain as a cherry on top.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

q_k posted:

Dom 6: Gaslighting your way to victory

IMO this one is best so far, it works on multiple levels.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Libluini posted:

Caelumite nations also got a hard buff by all those weird air summons like ghost wolves being moved to Glamour

More than once did I see Caelum mages going off-script and then immediately switching away from all their good spells to endless ghost wolf spam.

That was my first thought too, but supposedly they added some new trash tier air spells to compensate, and also air eles got nerfed hard (probably deserved), which made air a worse path.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a new Summon Hawk spell for battle summon spam. Wrap it up, airlures :smug:

Which path and level? Is it easier to avoid researching than ghost wolves?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

It's in the previous page
-New spell, A1 summon hawk spell, 20 fatigue.

Yes, but at what school and how far up? Is it avoidable while getting the good spells?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lol that would certainly be a reason to bother to put domes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Does the storm flight bless also negate the precision penalty when shooting/casting spells inside a storm, like having the trait does in Dom5?