Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can't wait for Dominions 5 nationgen. poo poo is going to be off the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MF_James posted:

Yeah pretenders are pretty loving ridiculous in dom5 since they get blessed in your dom, it makes expanding a bit easier for a bunch of nations.

I haven't given this change much thought. What are people's takes on the best Pretender blesses?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

I never read any of the old SA LP's of Dominions 4. Are they all vs. AI, or is there one that goes through an MP game from the perspective of a single player? Ideally also with description of how the diplomacy metagame tends to work in MP?

I imagine it's similar to EU4 MP that I've done in the past.

This should be what you're looking for. The OP also has links to every other SA Dom4 LP.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
First Dom5 mo money game is open for business :woop:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Did you know: MA Ctis h2 priests, at least (and not kings :saddowns:) can train 1 freespawn sacred serpent each turn in a temple.

which is also the only way for MA Ctis to get sacred serpents now

not sure 80g for 1/turn adequate-but-not-great freespawn in a nation that gives exactly zero fucks about a bless is great compared to using those recruitment points on marshmasters, but if you need to poo poo out priests to deal with undead these dudes at least have a job afterwards

edit: only one trainer at a time per temple what the hell

Well, I guess you just put one dude per temple and enjoy your limited free chaff.

e: I'm playing MA C'tis in a game so thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea.

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 11, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

warhammer651 posted:

How often do these games go on sale, historically?

Dom4 went on sale a lot, usually it was like $14 on sale.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Coin posted:

If I want to play a newbie game with goons, is there a better way to go about finding one than refreshing snek.earth every so often?

Post in the separate Private Game Server sign-up thread and/or keep an eye on http://www.brainwrinkle.net/ for pending games!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:siren: Brainwrinkle is really hosed up because its still written for Dominions 4 so any MA or LA games are going to look all wrong on that site. :siren:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah I went AI straight away because nobody survives getting piled on by 3 same-size enemies at once, especially when one is LA Ry'leh and like a quarter of your empire + your cap is coastal provinces he can raid with impunity AND you're an idiot because you built a temperature neutral god for Ragha so you only ever managed to build like 15 Zheydan (because, again, you're an idiot).

I tried to warn y'all about the Blood, I tried! :colbert:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Speleothing posted:

Discord is even worse than IRC. At least IRC you can choose your client and not need to install anything

You don't need to install anything for discord, you goofus. Just click link and talk to people (and automatically your entire chat history saved so diplomacy is a lot easier to keep track of).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Coin posted:

My fault. I decided to go all in on fighting Ermor early, and didn't put enough effort into keeping Pangaea off my turf. Teach me to be a buddy to the other teams.

That's probably one of the most valuable multiplayer lessons you can learn!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

discoukulele posted:

Is there a way to view a nation's full description and units before you choose your nation, or do you just have to check the rulebook first? I've been getting into the game a lot lately, and my only real issue with it is having to confirm your nation before you get to see the full description screen, unless there's something I'm missing. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've been looking all over the rulebook and the internet to see; it seems like something really simple that you should be able to do. :shrug:

https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
69 points to win IMO

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's a good post and should be in the OP.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So what do people think of the Cataclysm setting? I just encountered it for the first time in holy war crimes game and I .... hate it. To be far it was set to trigger on turn 50(?!), so the game wasn't nearly settled and it started happening right as I was making exciting war plans.

Still, I found it really jarring how it changed the dynamics of the game, and I can't imagine I'll ever set it to trigger at any turn under 100 in any of my games, if I even use it at all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pangea is perma-banned from all my future games good loving christ :negative:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's entirely self inflicted. One does not just walk into dark skies Pangaea.

Oh that's not even me. I had the good sense to go AI after I got steamrolled by a 700+ flying Centaur doomstack. Fun new thing I learned: apparently mass regeneration is enough to negate Plague! Fun!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I won a game!

I think this is, like, my 3rd victory in -any- Dominions game, so seeing Victory is a nice treat.

The very first Dominions 5 game I ever signed up to play, to be specific. I'm as surprised as you are, because I won it as Very Bad Nation Yomi! This wasn't due to any real skill on my part, but rather a lot of luck, fortune, and a start position that didn't plop me next to an early rush nation.

Let's talk briefly about why Yomi is a poo poo faction!

Yomi was changed in the Dominions 4 -> 5 transition, and is now a freespawn nation. That is to say that you can't recruit your namesake Japanese-Demon troops (Oni), they can spawn automatically in any province that hold one of your Temples. Temple provinces with Hot or Cold scales can sometimes spawn slightly better Oni, and Temple provinces that are Mountains or Highlands have a chance to spawn your most elite Oni warriors.

Any province with a Temple.

Hot and Cold provinces with Temples (low spawn rate).

Mountain provinces with Temples (low spawn rate).

So there's your bread & butter troops. They're alright in combat, they have a ghostly second-shape and Chaos Power. The elite ones are actually fairly robust. The problems, though, are that every single one of them innately causes some amount of Unrest. The tiny ones just cause 0.1 points, but the elite guys cause 0.5. This adds up fast. Your templed provinces, including forts obviously, will never sit at zero unrest, and will often balloon above 100 unrest just from the troops hanging around doing nothing.

This is compounded by the fact that you'll be taking Turmoil 3 scales by default, to benefit all of your Chaos Power Oni troops. On top of that, Yomi gets a -25% income malus just loving Because! This all leads to you being constantly broke. Hardly having money to build labs, temples, and recruit your best cap-only mages. It loving sucks. IN ADDITION, Yomi can only build Palisade forts, so every one of your research mages outside of your capitol takes 2 turns to recruit. If you can even afford to hire them.

Oh, and all of your Oni are Gluttons, so any non-demon troops you put into your big armies will probably start starving and picking up diseases immediately. This includes the sacred Tengu you may have thought you wanted to summon! Also, they're all loving Undisciplined, so you can't even give them battlefield commands!

Yomi, an impoverished nation with awful research and a single gimmick.

Actually, Yomi has one real baller thing going for it: Shikome!

Real Good poo poo.

Shikome are pretty awesome, and Yomi is the only faction in the game that has access to them. Neither Shinuyama nor Jomon, Yomi's MA and LA successor nations, get Shikome. They're sacred, have some solid elemental resistance, two magical attacks that do additional paralyze damage against Undead, and Berserk +4. They're summoned 8 Shikome for 8 Death gems, which is a real bargain if you can afford the D income. There are some special, Sacred Oni that spawn painfully rarely (I think by the time this game ended on turn 98 I accumulated <50 of them total). Shikome are your real sacreds, and they rule.

So, all of that said, what glorious Pretender God did I choose to lead my nation?

:ughh:

I must have designed A Brooding Anime in some drunk haze, because the Bless is dogshit. To be fair, I didn't even realize that Shikome existed when I designed the god, but the bless is still awful for whatever purpose I may have had in mind. We have Turmoil 3 because you have to, Growth 3 to attempt to boost income, and Luck 3 because Luck 3 + Turmoil 3 was a classic Dominions 4 combo and I expected it to work about the same here. It doesn't. Somebody else more knowledgeable than me can go into why Luck 3 sucks now, but just know that its not nearly as good as it was in Dom4. We also have Production 2 which helps with some income but I really wish I'd have taken Magic 2 instead, because having gently caress-all research was the monkey on my back the entire game.

Luck may suck compared to Dominions 4, but when it hits it can still hit hard. We picked this up in an event in year 2, and it was invaluable for breaking into paths and helping summon things throughout the game.

Anime does, however, have Fire 6, which is enough to be able to cast one of Yomi's national spells when she breaks free:

Spoiler Alert: It doesn't increase the spawn rate of your "good" Oni in any tangible way as far as I could tell. Just the shittiest ones.

Let's start the game!

Here's our start. We neighbor a Throne, which could be great, and are surrounded by Mountains, which will be useful to Temple for freespawn later (I didn't know this at the time).

Off to our West is Tien'Chi. Note that this is not a full wrap-around map, so Tien is kind of stuck for directions to expand.

To our East is Marverni, another gimmicky freespawn nation.

The big problem with Yomi's early game is that, unless you took an awake expander Pretender, you're dependent upon your freespawn to build your expansion armies. In my experience the Ko-Oni freespawn were either Great or Atrocious in battle. Sometimes they would win flawlessly, and sometimes they'd all be massacred. I imagine that this had something to do with how much Turmoil was in the targeted province, but I was too stupid to think about that for a long while. You can see how anemic our expansion is going:

Nothing gets me pumped like smashing into indies and losing multiple turns in a row.

In the Southern end of the world, which we're unaware of, Xibalba, Vanheim, Helheim, Fomoria, and Ur are all stuck together in a close quarters knife fight.

By the time we finish expansion we look something like this. We got really lucky in that neither Marverni nor Tien'Chi expanded aggressively into us from the beginning.

During expansion we did bump into one of Tien'Chi's armies, and we discovered that they were running a really nasty Fear Bless for their Warriors of the Five Elements.

Our Ko-Oni have poo poo morale and our Oni generals have loving -1 morale leadership for even a single squad. Morale is NOT Yomi's strong suit, so we got thoroughly trounced by Tien'Chi.

We sued for peace, which Tien surprisingly accepted, and we expanded as best we could.

Sometime around this point poor Agartha got cut down into a rump-state.

We conspired with Tien'Chi against Marverni, whose freespawn Sacred Boar generating machine was starting to really kick into gear. Unless we wanted to face a literal endless tied of Boars we had to cut them down ASAP.

Invasion!

Marverni's boars proved tough. lovely in real combat, they nevertheless trampled a lot of Oni, and caused routs due to Oni's poo poo morale. Pressed on both sides, however, Marverni lost ground.

Meanwhile, in the South:

Ur ate Fomoria and part of Helheim. Vanheim ate Xibalba and the other part of Helheim.

Around this time we started to see Vampire Lords appear in Marverni's armies! That's really loving weird, because Marverni has no native Blood or Death access. Did Marverni design his Pretender explicitly to summon Vampire Lords??

No!

One

Two

Three!

It turns out that Marverni had My-Very-First-Break-Into-Blood set of sites sitting virtually all in his cap-circle. He must have been thrilled. Since we did the majority of the fighting and dying in our joint war against Marverni we ended up taking all the sites, and I immediately threw all of our research into Blood in order to get our own Vampire Lord factory up and running ASAP.

After defeating Marverni the world looked about like this:

We had no real choice but to go to war with either Tien'Chi or Ur. I chose the enemy I didn't know, and made plans with the Chinese to attack Ur. I even started the invasion, taking a couple of Ur's provinces until, a few turns after the new war started, Tien threw up Arcane Nexus in a bold declaration that he was going for the win alone.

Tien emptied his fortresses of every last mage and hurled a couple of phenomenally strong doom-stacks into our weakend flanks, gunning for our very poorly defended Thrones.

I didn't have a Fort on our Eastern Throne because, this is great, I couldn't loving afford to build one.

Ur and I immediately made a truce until Tien'Chi was dead, and the full might of our lovely Oni hordes slowly worked their way North to deal with Tien's armies. Fortunately for us, Tien forgot how many Throne points were required to win the game, and over the next 6-8 turns we were able to attrit his doom-stacks to a halfway manageable size by sacrificing maybe 1500 or so Oni in battle after losing battle. A lesson in Pyrrhic victories.

We caught another lucky break and Tien's player got sick and soon afterward went AI, leaving us to mop up and fully realize our Vampire Lord factory.

If you see this in somebody else's territory you are hosed and should probably go AI.

While we murdered AI Tien'Chi our friends Ur and Vanheim finally got into it. Vanheim had also invested heavily in Blood, and his Vampire Lords and Liches ripped Ur to shreds over the course of 4 to 5 turns. It would have shaped up to to be an endgame Blood on Blood nation apocalypse, except that after we took Tien's Thrones we only needed 1 point to win. We hopped one province across our border with Ur and took his virtually empty fort (thank you, Vanheim). Vanheim made a noble, last-ditch effort to thwart us by throwing Vampires and Liches at our Southern armies and Cloud Trapeezing a whole bunch of ponymen into another remote Throne province. It didn't work, though, and a turn or two later we won the game.

:bravo:

IN REFLECTION
Yomi sucks and I would maybe play them again. First and foremost I would build a god with a Bless that Shikome can actually use. They are aching for a powerful bless like Quickness, or something to make them even more deadly. I wouldn't take Production, I'd definitely go hard Magic lest your Research be poo poo forever. It will be poo poo forever anyway I would gain a few design points by coming down either Cold or Hot dominion. Probably Cold, because the Cold spawned Oni have a Fatiguing attack that could be useful in certain situations. You might want to go with an Awake expander Pretender, because native expansion is extraordinarily unreliable. You won't be able to afford much of a Bless if you do so, however.

tl;dr I got very lucky in many ways and won a game. Yomi sucks and if you meet them in the early game and they don't have an awake Pretender you should rush the poo poo out of them because you'll win.

Anybody else who was in the game is welcome to offer their thoughts! :)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey everybody please upload your god for the game FICTION please. Couple of hold-outs.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mukip posted:

Reading these makes me wonder how much "diplomacy" in this game is just paranoid imagination.

Hugely. Being able to block out the paranoia and look at things objectively and without bias is probably one of the skills that elevates a player the most.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was brave and noble Rome / Pythium in that game and upon starting it I was nominally excited to fight Ermor, because holy heck who better to fight thousands of longdeads than the nation that can create the most massive Banish spam communions in the game? It was all going halfway decently too, until idiot hellfucker Tien'Chi decided he'd rather -not- sit quietly and horde gems and research while other nations beat themselves against Ermor and instead stabbed me in the back, causing me to say "gently caress this poo poo" to the Ermor crusade, march back to my cap, and proceed to humble several large chinese armies with nothing more than a big dumb statue that casts Howl. Obviously I never recovered, but I did refuse to concede when everyone else had gone AI or abandoned the game, forcing good friend Jbrer to come and put me down.

MA Pythium is one of those nations with a gimmick that I want to love, but can never seem to get right. Someday!

e: also never trust a chinaman

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I pour all of my resources into making Tartarian super-combatants and I win every game :yeah:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
LA Agartha used to own in Dominions 3. :sad:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
drat it feels good to be a Greek nation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey guys I just logged in to play my one game turn per 36 hour period and I see there's a new patch! And it includes extra earthquake screen shake effects!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Donkringel posted:

The aforementioned NuklearMonkee has many good playthroughs. He is very informative and to the point.

I feel like I should point out the fact that Monkee has also made a deal with Satan, selling his soul for the promise of ultimate power in Dominions, so you should take his advice with a grain of salt.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Amuys posted:

Muffon Cataprachts.

Treatable with antibiotics, friend.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is the new nation extraordinarily OP and good for losers to play??

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Just start Pan underwater

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Turin Turambar posted:

LOL. A good series of memes could come from that, crossing real life and Dominions.

We have such sights to show you, friend.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Maybe when Dom 6 comes out.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Drone_Fragger posted:

Man, I really want to get dom 5, but also I don't want to spend 30 quid on a game that is basically a better dom 4. Might have to wait till I'm drunk or it's on sale. maybe both!! who knows.

Put it on your wishlist, it goes on sale a lot and you can get it for 50% off.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Those spells definitely needed some love, that's great!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody help me with the mod inspector? Say I see a national spell. It usually lists what nations can cast this spell, as long as no more than three nations can use it. But if there are more, it lists "Various Nations (x)". I get that x is the number of nations that can use the spell, but is there a way to see a list of these nations? So if it's "Various Nations (5)", where can I see which 5 nations can use the spell?

hover your mouse over it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There was an RPG session set in the Dominions setting run on this very forum in the Trad Games sub many years ago, but I've never been able to find it in archives.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sullat posted:

Still mid game, alas. Maybe stellar cascades and let the expendable dudes do the killing. Now I need to fake being sick so I can go home and change the scripts before the turn posts.

Maybe you should have thought about this before you invaded me like a ding-dong.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I bought this during the recent sale. How do I actually join a game? Just sign up through the bot on the discord server then enter the server address provided and upload a pretender once I'm in the game? Am I right to assume I don't have to create an account on the snek.earth site unless I want to host a game? I've played some dominions 3 multiplayer but it was all through a site back then.

e: some helpful people in the discord answered this. If anyone else was wondering all joining games is indeed done through discord. Look forward to losing some games with you guys soon.

See you in the 'verse!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Applebee123 posted:

Its turn 50, and the uneasy peace still stays. All three UW nations know that if they send their army to another one's cap, their army and their opponents will be mostly wiped out, leaving the 3rd player to take both caps, as a result noone attacks.

This map scenario should be mandatory for poli-sci students.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Certain combinations of claimed Throne effects can be frustrating, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, thanks. Looks like that list is the best I'm getting for the moment. Guess I'll check the usual DBs for new and interesting spells and such and decide then, but I think this one might not be for me. Appreciate the help, everyone!

Buy it and play multiplayer games with goons, you coward.