Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I've seen RPG maker being beaten into things it was not designed to do including top down shooters and visual novels - paring down the combat system and jump buttons would be trivial compare to the monstrosities I've seen, but it definitely feels like he just used the default load out without really thinking about how it effects FFMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Along with Japan has different copyright laws than America, and just back when FF1 came out, information from different countries doesn't fly as fast as it does now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Deathwind posted:

This brings up a good point, why remake a game in an engine that can't handle it?

Because RPGmaker is easier than trying to do it in Unity or doing it from scratch, of course this 'easier engine' doesn't stop total self-important blockheads from using RPGmaker's cutscene engine to make a lovely Visual Novel instead of using Ren'py.

So real answer is probably sheer stubbornness.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder if the broken economy is a left over from his testing of the game and he forgot to tune it down.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FF4 is just full of 'there's no loving way you should've survived it but here you are' moments, even if Cid somehow survived the blast, he should've been a pancake from the fall. Honestly it's one of my least favorite main FF games due to how it keeps undermining it's own drama.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's likely stolen, but drat that Sphinx sprite is awful, the body's texture looks terrible, and the head and wings were clearly pasted on with minimum effort to blend the elements together.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Choco1980 posted:

that sphinx is such an eyesore. Like, the artist was clearly thinking of centaurs then realized sphinxes don't have human arms so pasted the wings up there instead of on the back, and changed the hooves to paws.

It probably was a centaur sprite that's been badly edited.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SSNeoman posted:

The map design is really bad too. Like goddamn.

Didn't someone mention the map was scanned from an official guide?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So much for game balance

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm pretty sure bunny girls are a default model, given how many lovely RPG maker games I've played that includes them.

Still on the creator for using them and trying to shoehorn a terrible romance plot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I bet you that's exactly in the development stage where the maker discovered how to do Jump, but was didn't want to go back and remake the previous maps to restore the old puzzles.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Kain looks like a lost Pillar Man

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rueben put some pants on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Four Wizards sounds like a nerdy hell's angel would name their brass knuckles though: "Each finger got the power of a wizard, with four of them I'm gonna knock your teeth out."

But man, he forgot to set a flag to remove Kaeli from the bed - that's usually one of the first things you do when you have a character join is to remove their sprite from the overworld.

This game's a baffling mix of incompetent and overambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

How the hell does he expect RPGmaker to do MMOs? Uranium barely managed to kludge together a trade system, and that's fairly prone to failing.

• Locked thread