Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anyone who doesn't jump nonstop is playing MQ wrong

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you don't max out your seeds ASAP, are you REALLY playing Mystic Quest?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'll ask the question we're all thinking about. How did he make Reuben worse?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

KataraniSword posted:

Consider how surprised Cecil is after Kain has been brainwashed to betray him for the fifteenth time.

Cid may have been the only halfway rational person in the entire kingdom.

Well you gotta remember, 75% of Cecil's dialogue is him yelling the names of various characters. He ain't bright

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, if they had 3 party members in the original and brought Phoebe for Fireburg too, Reuben probably wouldn't be that bad. His problem is that he has no versatility at all. He'd be a solid choice in, say, a Lunar game

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's not quite that random. Reuben falling off the bridge is how you learn that the entrance to Doom Castle, the final part of the tower is down there since that's where he ends up.

Tristam's sort of the double-switch there, since all he joins up to do is give you that thing he looted from the first dungeon and to put you where you need to be to recruit the real person you're supposed to do the entire Wind Area with.
Although that's appropriately mirrored for how he and Kaeli's roles were in the Earth area. That speaks to me of some form of intention with the only afterthought being 'how to get Reuben out of the party in the first place since he has no real reason not to hang out with you whoops' :v:

Neither does Phoebe. She just kinda keeps showing up after Aquaria and pretty much joins you because no one else can. Kaeli is taking care of someone (Nelly I wanna say), Tristam is who knows where, and Reuben is too hurt.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now remember that Benjamin's allowance is only 2GP a month.

Well now we know how to become a 1%er, go on a world-spanning journey to restore light to the crystals.

EDIT: Also, Phoebe's battle sprite looks really familiar to me but I can't put my finger on it

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

And after that brief experiment we're back to only having two party members again. Makes you wonder what the point was.

It was to further elaborate on Reuben's emerging homosexuality plot from the original game. The kiss for luck he requested from Phoebe was actually a friendship kiss for luck that Benjamin would feel the same way about Reuben. He sticks around after the Fire Crystal to be closer to our intrepid hero. His fall and subsequent separation from Benjamin are actually symbolic for all ill-fated one-sided romances in fiction, which is why that trope is called the Reuben.

• Locked thread