Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Latest Update

The Game

Here's the Announcement Trailer.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (The New Colossus or TNC from now on) was released in October of 2017 and is the latest in one of the longest running FPS franchises around. Development was handled by MachineGames after their brilliant rookie effort and this game's direct predecessor, 2014's The New Order, which I also did an LP of if you need a more in depth summary of the major plot points of the previous game than what TNC opens with. If you loved the gameplay, art, music, gunplay, combat and storytelling of The New Order I have good news: MachineGames didn't mess with success. Some of the systems, like dual wielding and secondary fire modes, have seen some changes and refinements (you can now mix and match left and right hand weapons, for example) without changing the core gameplay experience. However, there are a number of changes on the edges and a set of upgrades that open up some traversal options that are pretty different, but we'll get to that when it comes up in the game. There were/are complaints that the game is too short considering it is single player only, but I think we'll see from this LP that argument only works if you completely ignore all the side content on offer.

The Story

Spoilers for TNC go behind spoiler bars. The basic setup introduced in the New Order is that thanks to Jewish super science the Nazis were able to beat the allies and take over the world while building the crazy mega projects and superweapons that PBS/History channel shows and specials are made out of. In The New Order BJ Blazkowicz teams up with friends new and old to take out General Deathshead, but runs afoul of General Engle in his successful bid to finish a job he started 14 years earlier (really, watch the opening of the first video). In TNC Engle is on the warpath and BJ is just barely alive. Can BJ beat the most powerful war machine the world has ever seen before time beats him? That's what we're here to find out.

The LP

Just like the previous game there are two timelines to choose from with some wildly different results. Because of that I'm going to be doing a Fergus run first and then following it up with a sort of supercut of Wyatt stuff. In addition, there are a number of sidequests to complete that we'll be taking care of, and a huge assortment of collectibles that I have zero intention of getting all of. Instead I'll be grabbing specific stuff and showing off the world building documents you can find around the game in the occasional video and/or image post. There is a lot of reading, even if you don't grab everything. This isn't a 100 percent run at all; most of the collectibles I'm going to show off are from another save file entirely as there is just so much to hunt down the videos would be a slog. I still don't have everything, though, so this won't be a 100% run. For the majority of the side missions I'm going to be bringing in guests. I predict we'll be hopping between two to three videos a week depending on the side content. Expect most videos to be long at the start of the LP (I think 40 minutes on average for the first three), but after that the game does a lot more pacing and provides good spots to break every 25-30 minutes.

The Controversy

The New Colossus concerns the player ridding the US of the Nazis. The game's publisher, Bethesda, ran an ad campaign prompting players to "Make America Nazi Free Again." In the current political climate you can probably guess how that went over with some people. The game itself doesn't have a political message outside of "Nazis are bad" and if you can't handle that concept I don't want to hear about it. The thread is about the game, not how upset you are about the game's marketing campaign.

Videos

THE WYATT RUN:

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Readable Items

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BJ's life hasn't exactly been fun times. Not just in the last 18 or so years where he was either killing Nazis or experiencing a type of locked in syndrome in a sanitarium, but going all the way back to his childhood. Some of BJ's early life was hinted at in The New Order during the sewer exploration mission, but it turns out things were more messed up than those tidbits would suggest.

I love the nickname Terror Billy. I don't know why. At first I really thought it was dumb and bad, but I think it is one of those things where to a German speaker it sounds totally logical, but translated to English it doesn't have the kind of syllable construction we would expect or alliteration or rhyme scheme you see in a lot of English-language nicknames of this sort. I now tend to think of it as a sign of how the Nazi propaganda can steamroll language barriers in the Reich at this point.

I also love this opening level. It's well designed, gives players time to learn the controls by limiting movement, weapon selection and other mechanics like distance stealth kills and dual wielding and allows you to make the occasional mistake as the enemies are dumb enough to run into really obvious death traps. The second level is where they start to let go of your hand and by the end of it you have had basically everything explained or shown to you in some way.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I should have known this was happening this soon. Can't wait to take this wild ride.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to seeing all those Nazis dead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just noticed, that one nazi in the intro doesn't have an accent when he switches to English.

That's kinda neat.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Due to the gimmick shown in the first video, I really feel like the game is best played on the easier difficulties because holy hell I played it through on the hardest one and it was masochistic how fast you get your poo poo pushed in.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Even now, he's still a Nazi-killing machine. Goddamn, BJ. But I've got to say, holy poo poo that backstory.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 29, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You picked the wrong timeline imo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SgtSteel91 posted:

Speaking as someone from Scotland, no they didn't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Between this and Crisis on Earth-X, it’s a good week for killing a fuckton of Nazis :allears:

Welcome back, Lazyfire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fergus will always be the best.

I'd play a Fergus game where he just runs around swearing at everyone.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One thing I will say about the game:
The perks are incremental, but capping them off leads to you being so much more powerful than basic BJ
Theres future mechanics that you wouldnt even notice unless you are paying attention for them but theyre essentially multipliers to your ability to survive.

Its a good game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

There are parts of the Wyatt timeline that I liked better, but Fergus is just as good overall.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Speaking as someone from Scotland, no they didn't.

Wyatt's timeline is pretty good and goes to some different places. Both of the characters end up serving as a form of comic relief, though.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One thing I will say about the game:
The perks are incremental, but capping them off leads to you being so much more powerful than basic BJ
Theres future mechanics that you wouldnt even notice unless you are paying attention for them but theyre essentially multipliers to your ability to survive.

Its a good game

Filling out the perk tree as much as possible is going to be vital to basic survival by the end game. I'm already missing being able to walk silently instead of having to crouch full time.

nine-gear crow posted:

Between this and Crisis on Earth-X, it’s a good week for killing a fuckton of Nazis :allears:

Welcome back, Lazyfire.

I'm excited to participate in the golden era of Nazi killing.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Good to have you back with your Nazi Killing Pants on.

Anyone who bitched that this game was politically motivated were likely Neo-Nazi's anyway, and were scared about the violence that they like to push on others being pushed on them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gridlocked posted:

Good to have you back with your Nazi Killing Pants on.

Anyone who bitched that this game was politically motivated were likely Neo-Nazi's anyway, and were scared about the violence that they like to push on others being pushed on them.

True story: the thread was nearly called "triggering Nazis: the game." I've decided to not make it over to political because of how paper think some people's skin is these days and the inevitable poo poo storm it would bring down on the thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If anyone gets offended at the game because of the ad and its treatment of nazis

Boy
I cant even begin to explain how the gently caress a person can think that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Looks good but difficult to watch. I wonder, is there any truth to what I've read about Caroline Becker being revealed as a lesbian in this game? Certainly makes sense to highlight one of the... other... groups historically targeted for extermination by the Nazis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If anyone gets offended at the game because of the ad and its treatment of nazis

Boy
I cant even begin to explain how the gently caress a person can think that

I like the interview where they ask the head of marketing of Bethesda if he thinks this game might be kicking a political hornet's nest, and he goes 'Yeah, but the nest is full of Nazis, and gently caress those guys.'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I find it extraordinary that there are people who think you should give even a single inch to Nazis. And not to people who claim others are Nazis, people who self-identify AS Nazis. I mean, Jesus-gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Night10194 posted:

I like the interview where they ask the head of marketing of Bethesda if he thinks this game might be kicking a political hornet's nest, and he goes 'Yeah, but the nest is full of Nazis, and gently caress those guys.'

You know the best way to deal with hornet nests?

Fire.

I'm looking forward to watching BJ drop more nazi scum.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

MA-Horus posted:

Fire.

Sadly we didn't pick that choice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Fire.

C'mon, that's a horrible comparison.

Hornet's can't help what they are.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Picking up exactly where we left off here. BJ, Caroline and Fergus are all in Nazi hands and only the ghost of an idea of how they'll get out of this one.

I'm not going to talk about the plot points of this video, but I will talk at length about the fantastic job the animation department at MachineGames did with this game. Watch Engle during the opening minutes of the video and you'll see what I mean. The way she moves around and gets her whole body into her emotions and actions is really, really well done and almost every character in the game shows that sort of detail/motion capture acting. I will say that I don't really like the use of pre-rendered cutscenes in this game partially because 1) they are lower quality than the actual game graphics and 2) it feels like they didn't put the same character motion detail in there and instead focused on expressions and spectacle. There are totally good pre-rendered sequences through the game, and some of the voice acting there is absolutely fantastic (as it is through most of the game, though), but pound for pound I think the in-game stuff just works much better.

We can start dual wielding in this video and it'll be rare to see me not using that mechanic through the rest of the game. If I can I don't like trying to kill people from overly far away as the damage drop off on some weapons as well as the accuracy degradation make it harder to ensure kills or even hits, so getting up close and blasting Nazis with two SMGs is often more effective and more accurate than hoping a distance shot will connect. Being able to mix and match our weapons opens up a lot of possibilities, as does the ability to toggle secondary fire on either of them (once unlocked) instead of being limited to the option in the right hand weapon only like in TNO. We also get our thrown silent weapon in this video. The hatchet functions the exact same as the knife from TNO/TOB. You throw and perform bloody melee kills with it. The thing is awesome and you'll see me slinging hatchets at Nazis all game long. Unfortunately the thread title "Lotta things you can do with a hatchet. And a Nazi" was a bit too long if I wanted to also list the name of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caroline was badass and I was sorry to see her go.

That third commander is pretty easy to stealth, as long as you hide on the side of the exploded boiler tank and wait for the first patrolling guards to leave.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 1, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Caroline and the Kreisau Circle showing up just remind me how bizarre it is that this brooding grimdark Wolfenstein continuity began with an upbeat Indiana Jones style game about ancient magic doodads.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GunnerJ posted:

Caroline and the Kreisau Circle showing up just remind me how bizarre it is that this brooding grimdark Wolfenstein continuity began with an upbeat Indiana Jones style game about ancient magic doodads.

Technically, this all started in Wolfenstein 3D. BJ is confirmed to be the same guy from all the games so far. I thought it was impressive that they brought back elements of both Return to Castle Wolfenstein; a much beloved restart of the franchise, and 2009's Wolfenstein; a game that sold poorly enough that Raven (the developers of the game) were sent to the Activision CoD map design gulag for their crimes. TNO was very much its own game, YichudPunk enemy and environment designs included, but it really respects where the franchise came from and builds from there.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Huh, didn't know that. Neat.

And for the record, I actually love Wolf 2009.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You end up killing that Nazi pig in the next video, right? I don't believe that with all that marketing that Nazis are good people.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scalding Coffee posted:

You end up killing that Nazi pig in the next video, right? I don't believe that with all that marketing that Nazis are good people.

Believe it or not, Wolfenstein's morality is not as black and white as you would think.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the parallels between the daughter and flashback B.J. are pretty obvious here

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Scalding Coffee posted:

Nazis are not good people, but turning against Nazis and helping their enemies is pretty much by definition not being a Nazi anymore.

The game is still utterly, refreshingly ok with Nazi butchery.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 1, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jetrauben posted:

Nazis are not good people, but turning against Nazis and helping their enemies is pretty much by definition not being a Nazi anymore.

Also you do not mess with a teenage girl/young womans diary when she does not want it to be messed with.

Hell help you if you do.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Hell yeah. I knew this was gonna happen, but even without the old three month rule I wasn't expecting so soon. It's almost like another unintentional birthday gift.

Holy poo poo, though, this game. I've not been one for being squeamish at the sight of ultra-violence, but, well, that thing Engel did at the start of the second video, I had to turn away until she moved on.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh when I realized why the voice of BJ's dad was so familiar.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
I'm not squeamish, but something about the gore in this game just made me kinda...sick? Like, I can play horror games with gratuitous gore, like Dead Space, but something set me off about this game. Not to say the act of B.J.'s type of Nazi slaughter is bad, but they could have cut back on the gore a little bit. I'm not even talking about cut scenes, the actual combat, seeing people just basically disintegrate due to ultra violence. I had to stop after a few chapters. Hopefully I can stomach it to follow your LP.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
For me, at least, I think part of the reason why I had to look away from Engel's little celebration at the start of this video but then chuckled when BJ chopped a Nazi's shins off half the video later is the point behind the violence. You can already tell it's not going to be very pleasant when it's a Nazi trying to make a point, and in this case the point is that Engel is so firmly convinced of her moral and racial superiority over these degenerates, who have the gall to dislike their position at the bottom of society over completely inconsequential bullshit like hair or eye color, that she can do whatever she drat well pleases with them, alive or dead, and only similar degenerates, sociopaths and traitors to the Fatherland would ever have a problem with it. Even if, right here and right now, it's just lines of code being written to act that way, it's still a horrific idea that actual people at some point in history legitimately believed.

Part of it as well could be the absurdity, since loudly cutting a man's shins off with a hatchet and then swinging it into his chest after he's fallen over is somehow a quiet takedown. It's the same reason that when I play the FEAR games, I laugh enough that an outside observer would presume I'm playing a LucasArts point-and-click rather than a horror game - real people don't instantly die and get sent flying ten feet away when you slide into their ankle. Real people don't immediately explode into a fine red mist when they take a 7.62mm to the elbow just because they weren't expecting it at that particular moment. Real soldiers don't use pneumatic nail guns as a weapon, and they certainly wouldn't deliberately aim to nail enemies to the walls by their junk with them if they did.

And, of course, the perspective is an important part, too. I laugh at all the above poo poo I can do in FEAR because I'm watching it happen to somebody else, then I look up the part in Quake IV where your guy gets mostly-Stroggified and even ten years on it's still an uncomfortable experience primarily because you're witnessing the entire thing from the same first-person view you play the rest of the game from - Engel giving her little presentation has a lot more impact when she's presenting it to you rather than to someone else that the camera's pulled a bit further back away from to get him in the shot.

Also, for the record:

Lazyfire posted:

as does the ability to toggle secondary fire on either of them (once unlocked) instead of being limited to the option in the right hand weapon only like in TNO.

The New Order and The Old Blood actually do have separate buttons for switching fire modes on both the left- and right-hand guns. I know I thought it didn't before I actually played it because I never saw you do it, but then a friend bought it for me a couple months back and hey! Granted, the effect is kind of lost on me considering it's a cold day in Hell when I dual-wield in any game other than Saints Row or Killing Floor, but still, dual-wielding silenced handguns has its charms. And so does dual-wielded underbarrel rotary rocket launchers on the assault rifle, for that matter.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 1, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Kadorhal posted:

Real soldiers [...] certainly wouldn't deliberately aim to nail enemies to the walls by their junk with them if they did.

You don't know many soldiers, do you? :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, they keep a sharp edge on those fire-axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kadorhal posted:

For me, at least, I think part of the reason why I had to look away from Engel's little celebration at the start of this video but then chuckled when BJ chopped a Nazi's shins off half the video later is the point behind the violence. You can already tell it's not going to be very pleasant when it's a Nazi trying to make a point, and in this case the point is that Engel is so firmly convinced of her moral and racial superiority over these degenerates, who have the gall to dislike their position at the bottom of society over completely inconsequential bullshit like hair or eye color, that she can do whatever she drat well pleases with them, alive or dead, and only similar degenerates, sociopaths and traitors to the Fatherland would ever have a problem with it. Even if, right here and right now, it's just lines of code being written to act that way, it's still a horrific idea that actual people at some point in history legitimately believed.

Part of it as well could be the absurdity, since loudly cutting a man's shins off with a hatchet and then swinging it into his chest after he's fallen over is somehow a quiet takedown. It's the same reason that when I play the FEAR games, I laugh enough that an outside observer would presume I'm playing a LucasArts point-and-click rather than a horror game - real people don't instantly die and get sent flying ten feet away when you slide into their ankle. Real people don't immediately explode into a fine red mist when they take a 7.62mm to the elbow just because they weren't expecting it at that particular moment. Real soldiers don't use pneumatic nail guns as a weapon, and they certainly wouldn't deliberately aim to nail enemies to the walls by their junk with them if they did.

And, of course, the perspective is an important part, too. I laugh at all the above poo poo I can do in FEAR because I'm watching it happen to somebody else, then I look up the part in Quake IV where your guy gets mostly-Stroggified and even ten years on it's still an uncomfortable experience primarily because you're witnessing the entire thing from the same first-person view you play the rest of the game from - Engel giving her little presentation has a lot more impact when she's presenting it to you rather than to someone else that the camera's pulled a bit further back away from to get him in the shot.

This is a pretty good explanation of why I never bought The New Order or New Colossus and never will. I am just not comfortable with this level of violence.

• Locked thread