Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

One of the things about doing note collections based on which area the notes/articles are found in is that because the game will drop new notes in places like the Evas Hammer or on return trips to some levels you have to be careful that nothing gets spoiled. Luckily, there were only a few notes that fit that bill here, so you are getting almost everything the Evas Hammer and the Ausmerzer have to offer. My plan is to eventually get screenshot dumps of this up if people find the half hour video to be a bit much. There are just a lot of screenshots. 74 of them, actually. The thing is that some of the notes are an awkward length and so on the third screenshot of a note you end up getting just a single new sentence, or someone signing a letter. I think the video ends up working a bit better because of that.

I had to deal with the same problem once and I think that just writing the last line in the post tight under the screenshot works fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What happened with the Holocaust in this series? Is that ever addressed?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

It went through. They're still killing everyone they can get hold of.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Donkringel posted:

It's still happening. We went to a concentration camp last game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Night10194 posted:

Since they've got more time this go around, they're much more leaning towards labor camps than extermination camps. Still not a lot of Jews around, though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Unreal_One posted:

Since they've got more time this go around, they're much more leaning towards labor camps than extermination camps. Still not a lot of Jews around, though.

More like "work them until they drop, then liquidate" so it's really more of a semantic difference in the end. But yeah--it's been 20 years since WWII kicked into high gear and 15 years since the US surrendered...even with a stretched timetable there aren't many people left within Nazi borders who fall into the camp demographics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OAquinas posted:

More like "work them until they drop, then liquidate" so it's really more of a semantic difference in the end. But yeah--it's been 20 years since WWII kicked into high gear and 15 years since the US surrendered...even with a stretched timetable there aren't many people left within Nazi borders who fall into the camp demographics.

It's Nazis, and authoritarians in general. Once the obvious candidates are exterminated, they have a way of constantly finding new Others to blame for everything that goes wrong.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cythereal posted:

It's Nazis, and authoritarians in general. Once the obvious candidates are exterminated, they have a way of constantly finding new Others to blame for everything that goes wrong.

Oh, quite. But they'll start being punitive measures, not just guilt by blood. The loser of "German Or Else" gets sent to labor camp, for example.

But Jews, LGBT, and anyone darker than a light tan? Probably getting harder to find them in BJ's time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

On an unrelated note, can you pick up the book that the girl in the yellow vest dropped and give it back to her?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I had to deal with the same problem once and I think that just writing the last line in the post tight under the screenshot works fine

This is a good way to do it in my opinion. Just screenshot the first part and transcribe the rest.

I understand that videos are easier to do, but it's a bit annoying for faster or slower readers. I quickly gave up on waiting for scrolling or the next document, and instead used the arrow buttons to get to the next part, which made for a lot of going back and forth. Not too bad, but not ideal either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chillgamesh posted:

The only problem I have with Grace is that she kinda instantly becomes your boss, filling Caroline's shoes, which felt unearned even if she was cool and brought a huge intel network onto the Evas Hammer. She's definitely great overall though and earns the position over the course of the game and then some, it just feels wrong at first.

I've rewatched the videos, and I think Grace instantly assumes leadership of the resistance because she has the personality, vision, and drive of a leader. BJ, Anya, and Max mostly seem to be in this to kill Nazis and have no particular ideas of what to do beyond killing every Nazi they can find and then looking for some more. Fergus is old, weary, and beaten down, he doesn't seem to have it in him to unify and lead even the Kriesau Circle much less the Americans as well. Set doesn't seem to be a leader type at all.

Grace, on the other hand, steps in and immediately has ideas about what to do, how to do it, and gets everyone moving. There was a void of leadership on the SS Let's Nuke Nazis, and Grace filled it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BJ, especially, has always been clear to everyone he's a champion, not a leader. He can lead a squad or make a speech sometimes, but he himself doesn't even want to be the guy making plans and recognizes he's not great at it, too.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I've rewatched the videos, and I think Grace instantly assumes leadership of the resistance because she has the personality, vision, and drive of a leader. BJ, Anya, and Max mostly seem to be in this to kill Nazis and have no particular ideas of what to do beyond killing every Nazi they can find and then looking for some more. Fergus is old, weary, and beaten down, he doesn't seem to have it in him to unify and lead even the Kriesau Circle much less the Americans as well. Set doesn't seem to be a leader type at all.

Grace, on the other hand, steps in and immediately has ideas about what to do, how to do it, and gets everyone moving. There was a void of leadership on the SS Let's Nuke Nazis, and Grace filled it.

Similarly in the other timeline, Wyatt is too green and frazzled by recent events to be an effective leader

Don't know if Lazyfire is going to show it off, but in the cutscene where Grace takes over Caroline's role (and room), she and Fergus butt heads while Wyatt is all too happy to let Grace take the wheel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Similarly in the other timeline, Wyatt is too green and frazzled by recent events to be an effective leader

Don't know if Lazyfire is going to show it off, but in the cutscene where Grace takes over Caroline's role (and room), she and Fergus butt heads while Wyatt is all too happy to let Grace take the wheel.

Too frazzled might be fair, but too green? Wyatt's got over a decade of leadership experience. He's been fighting Nazis longer than Blazko, thanks to the coma, and he was pretty high up in the resistance as it got ground away to near nothing. If he's green, then the word doesn't have much meaning any more.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think another reason Grace is leading is she's way more familiar with the territory than the rest, and she has the best hairdo. Like who's gonna challenge someone with hair that cool?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

There was a void of leadership on the SS Let's Nuke Nazis

And everyone knew it.
Grace taking over wasn't some unexpected turnaround, it was more or less the whole point of the Manhattan expedition. They needed a leader, so they went and got one.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Too frazzled might be fair, but too green? Wyatt's got over a decade of leadership experience. He's been fighting Nazis longer than Blazko, thanks to the coma, and he was pretty high up in the resistance as it got ground away to near nothing. If he's green, then the word doesn't have much meaning any more.

I think of 'green' as not commanding as much respect as Caroline, BJ, or Fergus and people thinking of him as a 'kid' (even Wyatt himself sometimes).

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Night10194 posted:

This is a big part of why I get really irritated at how everyone treats BJ. BJ is one of the last Jews alive. It rankles that people keep acting as if he was somehow part of the privileged class and doesn't know oppression. I really wish he would snap at Grace and Spesh about it.

Cythereal posted:

Doesn't help that she's constantly antagonizing literally everyone in the Circle, though.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

This is a big part of why I get really irritated at how everyone treats BJ. BJ is one of the last Jews alive. It rankles that people keep acting as if he was somehow part of the privileged class and doesn't know oppression. I really wish he would snap at Grace and Spesh about it.

I don't think that BJ is the kind of person who snaps at people who aren't Nazis. And I don't think a lot of people know that he's Jewish, or that he had a lovely childhood. They just see "giant Nazi-killing white man" and start assuming things from there.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I don't think that BJ is the kind of person who snaps at people who aren't Nazis. And I don't think a lot of people know that he's Jewish, or that he had a lovely childhood. They just see "giant Nazi-killing white man" and start assuming things from there.

Oh, I get why he doesn't do it, especially given his own baggage. It just really bothers me because...

Hm. How to put this.

Wolfenstein, like many Nazi stories, really decenters the fact that the Nazis primarily targeted Jews and Roma. I wish it would really reckon with that horror. It's really important that it criticizes American culture's dirty laundry, but it's also sort of a shame that the horrors of antisemitism are displaced in the service of a primarily American narrative. It starts talking so much about American racism it largely erases Nazi antisemitism.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
In the first game's defense, I got angry enough at the bullshit the Nazis were depicted doing in-game, that I almost wanted to throw myself out a window, for lack of a convenient Nazi or human being around to use in place of me.

But also, in the game's defense, that pill would be way too hard for me to swallow if I actually saw it. I mean, I can't even finish watching the Jessica Jones Netflix show because it goes places I can't handle, and it's a loving superhero show with bullshit comic powers. How am I gonna be able to even continue playing a game if it means I have to watch that kind of violence that actually happened, for actually lovely reasons? I couldn't. I can accept that it was a thing that happened, but I honestly cannot think about it happening, because I am a manchild who can't handle hard truths, but also because that poo poo is just way too loving violent for me. Even among all the Nazi-killing.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

In the first game's defense, I got angry enough at the bullshit the Nazis were depicted doing in-game, that I almost wanted to throw myself out a window, for lack of a convenient Nazi or human being around to use in place of me.

But also, in the game's defense, that pill would be way too hard for me to swallow if I actually saw it. I mean, I can't even finish watching the Jessica Jones Netflix show because it goes places I can't handle, and it's a loving superhero show with bullshit comic powers. How am I gonna be able to even continue playing a game if it means I have to watch that kind of violence that actually happened, for actually lovely reasons? I couldn't. I can accept that it was a thing that happened, but I honestly cannot think about it happening, because I am a manchild who can't handle hard truths, but also because that poo poo is just way too loving violent for me. Even among all the Nazi-killing.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Nah, I totally get that. This game was really hard for me to play at times - almost triggering, as it were, with stuff like the dog enemies.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

Nah, I totally get that. This game was really hard for me to play at times - almost triggering, as it were, with stuff like the dog enemies.

I like dogs. I felt bad killing them, but I get it. They are trained to do a thing and that is kill you. Survival, I understand.

Concentration Camps are not for surviving. And that's where I get lost. It's loving institutionalized sadism, and it drives me mad thinking about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm not sure anyone is aware that BJ is Jewish. Does he self-identify as Jewish? There was a scene where Engel praised his good Aryan features. I don't think anyone knows they're treating one of the last living Jews as complicit by association with other whiteys. (eta: Unless there were scenes in the first game I missed/forgot.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure anyone is aware that BJ is Jewish. Does he self-identify as Jewish? There was a scene where Engel praised his good Aryan features. I don't think anyone knows they're treating one of the last living Jews as complicit by association with other whiteys. (eta: Unless there were scenes in the first game I missed/forgot.)

The point of that was Engel being a moron - BJ is a Polish-American (remember that Nazis didn't consider Poles to be Aryan and intended to more or less eradicate them) Jew, but Engel assumed this big tough white dude obviously must be of the Master Race.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Was it really that Engels was a moron, or that "Nazi racial science" is incoherent garbage? By extension I took it as a critique of making assumptions about how someone looks. But Nazis aren't the only once who can. I mean the irony of the Nazi-slayer being a Polish Jew who looks like an Aryan superman seems to be 100% intentional.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Was it really that Engels was a moron, or that "Nazi racial science" is incoherent garbage?

Why not both?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well, I'm asking whether the scene was just supposed to be about Engels personally being stupid. I take it as given that she is even if there's more to it than that. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

Well, I'm asking whether the scene was just supposed to be about Engels personally being stupid. I take it as given that she is even if there's more to it than that. :v:

Multiple nazis comment on how Aryan BJ looks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It was also a rhetorical question.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Night10194 posted:

Multiple nazis comment on how Aryan BJ looks.

Which is also wierd as neither of his parents are at all Aryan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tarbrush posted:

Which is also wierd as neither of his parents are at all Aryan.

Further evidence that "Aryan" as a concept is full of poo poo, and the leader of the ideology is not Aryan himself.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I like how the critique of Nazi racial prejudice insanity is in itself racist.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I like dogs. I felt bad killing them, but I get it. They are trained to do a thing and that is kill you. Survival, I understand.

Concentration Camps are not for surviving. And that's where I get lost. It's loving institutionalized sadism, and it drives me mad thinking about it.

What I meant was the way that the dogs made me think "concentration camp," given how many used dogs just like that for torment and murder. But yes.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure anyone is aware that BJ is Jewish. Does he self-identify as Jewish?

I don't remember Set ever commenting on it, and you'd think he of all people would.

Though Set being there is likely why that aspect of BJ is downplayed story-wise - BJ downplaying his religion/heritage gives Set more room as a character, since that's a major part of his.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Set does keep calling him Samson, which seems like a deliberate thing given Set is a scholar.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Set does keep calling him Samson, which seems like a deliberate thing given Set is a scholar.

Hopefully in Wolf 3 Nazi foreskins will be a collectible

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

unwantedplatypus posted:

Hopefully in Wolf 3 Nazi foreskins will be a collectible

I hope they replace the hatchets with an asses' jawbone.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Rappaport posted:

I hope that doesn't mean that Anna is going to betray him :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I assume Set just started calling BJ Shimshon because he was a big strong guy, apparently sent by G-d, not necessarily because he's Jewish.

• Locked thread