Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Veep is still running

drat, really? Idk why but I thought last year was the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Veep is still running

This is the first year I'd say someone actually deserves to win over JLD.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CeeJee posted:

Rachel Brosnahan got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Comedy Actress. Seems pretty good for a show so recently aired.

I just finished watching the whole season. IMO she shoulda got that. She's loving hilarious and just an amazing actress.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

We just finished this too, some weird choices made in the last two episodes but I'll give the second season a go.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like it, but I feel like Amy Sherman-Palladino is like "I can finally say gently caress!!!!! I must throw in a few every episode!!!", like it feels unwarranted and unnatural sometimes.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I enjoyed this so much, I talked a few friends into watching it too and we sailed through the first 3 episodes tonight. It seemed to be well received by all and it certainly holds up to a second viewing.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The wife and I just finished e6. Show is really good and we are both fans of jew jokes and stand-up comics.
It's one of the few things we can watch together without one of us getting bored or complaining so I even give it bonus points.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

^burtle posted:

We just finished this too, some weird choices made in the last two episodes but I'll give the second season a go.

IMO the last two episodes were the best which is a good sign going forward.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^ agreed. If anything it maybe? dragged in the middle, but I was personally engaged throughout.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i did think it dragged a bit in the middle with the Joel stuff but other than that it was pretty much flawless. minor complaint that Lenny Bruce just disappeared from the show for ~5 episodes and then becomes Deus Ex Bruce but otherwise it was :discourse:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
More like Bruce Ex Machina

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I edited my TVIV Best of 2017 poll to make this show my #2. It could use the bump more than Game of Thrones, and I loved it just as much. Maybe more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

More like Bruce Ex Machina

:perfect:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't think it's uncharacteristic, which is part of why I like the show so much, because Midge seems to have a genuine mean streak and I'm really hoping season two digs more into the messier side of Midge's character, which we've seen glimpses of. It's probably not a mistake (I hope it's not) that her first comedy guru is Lenny Bruce, who capitalized on his own sense of indignation and indignified himself to death in 1966. The degree of work, effort, upset, and torment everyone else goes through to feed Midge's typhoon of talent doesn't go undocumented in the first season and I find that really intriguing - it's hard not to think of Rod Serling's teleplay The Comedian - and it seems to be laying the foundation for an examination of those stresses. I like the ambiguity as well, in that Midge is fighting against social and cultural prejudices and arbitrary rules, but she's also both bitey and naive - Midge's biggest character arc is about learning that having natural talent doesn't make her superhuman, and that there's a sharp division between entertaining and being entertaining. Her brush with industrial comedy (lmao) is such a great, illustrative sequence.

It's probably the most authentic feeling take on the comedian personality, and the most enjoyable rendition of their gigs, that I have seen in a fictional TV show. Trying to say that the main character is some comedian wunderkund takes a lot of balls, but then to actually deliver it? I was kinda shocked, ready for a Studio on the Sunset Strip like debacle, only to laugh my rear end off repeatedly. It's hard for me to even watch Netflix specials anymore, but te jokes on this show really, really worked for me.

The high quotient of laughs seeped into the rest of the show, the dialogue (which I felt more plausible and somehow more audacious than the creator's previous work), the acting, the set pieces (the dinners looooool). But yeah the stage scenes were the highpoint, like the dancing in a musical.

e: for fun, compare this show to the Jim Carrey's POS comic show on Showtime. Lol.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Just finished the show and really enjoyed it. I feel there’s lots more stories to be told within the world, so I’m looking forward to more episodes. It’s such a ridiculously beautiful show to look at. I loved the amount of detail that has been put into every scene, and being a huge fan of the Gilmore Girls, I’ve missed that snappy dialogue.

The only thing I found unsatisfactory was that Joel didn’t have a great excuse for leaving. They were having money troubles and he was upset about his stand up career, but it seems a bit much to have abandoned his family. Especially since he came from such an overbearing family himself. Maybe they could have had a bit more backstory there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He’s just a cowardly weak man that rather than fix his problems would rather try to quick change his life only to realize he hosed up even more. The point was he really had no reason to blow things up and did out of fear/cowardice.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

He’s just a cowardly weak man that rather than fix his problems would rather try to quick change his life only to realize he hosed up even more. The point was he really had no reason to blow things up and did out of fear/cowardice.

Pretty much. At the risk of taking away from the character this show is named after, part of the show is this epic cosmic judgment of Joel Maisel for wanting to change his life and break free of the rat race without being willing to do the work – or, frankly, find the right venue – to do so. As soon as he breaks it off with Midge, everything goes to poo poo for him. He realizes that the life he's building for himself isn't really the life he wanted, and when he realizes that Midge has too much self-respect to take his dumb, lazy rear end back, he spirals down into his childhood bed, literally being babied by his mother.

That's what he thinks is his rock bottom; after that, he finds his resolve. He sacks up. He comes up with a plan to take care of Midge and their children. He finds a willingness to sacrifice for others that he never realized he had before, and in adopting this new attitude, he and Midge end up drifting back together. You'd think that would teach him something about being a "man," about taking responsibility for your life.

Nope! Once it looks like he and Midge might get back together, he's immediately planning his big comeback to comedy, at which point the universe decides, "oh, okay, welp, I'll just take your balls since you don't get the message yet" and leads him to the record store where he discovers a recording of his wife just completely Salieri-ing his bitch rear end, sending him into a full existential meltdown.

Again, this is Midge's story first, and I don't mean to take away from that. But the tragedy of Joel Maisel, worthless idiot, is an important contrast to that story. I can't wait to see what that poor bastard will do next year, now that he begrudgingly accepts that he married someone who will eternally be his better in the thing he's loved so much. Will he break it off? Will he try to sabotage her out of spite? Will he try to ride her coattails like some kind of proto-Colonel Parker? Will he get over himself and become the supporting husband that he's capable of becoming with a lahahahahahahahahahaha I can't even finish that sentence. Bottom line, Michael Zegen doesn't get enough credit for what his performance brings to the show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, two Golden Globe wins, for Best Comedy/Musical Series and Best Actress for Rachel Brosnahan. I hate awards shows, but I'm happy when people I like and things I like win, if only to spread the word about them and protect them from cancelation.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This show is excellent and I'm telling everyone I know to check it out. It's so well written and cast, plus I have a personal soft spot for mid-century Jewish/Yiddish culture.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Is she supposed to be obnoxious and not actually funny? This show is garbage.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
She's supposed to be a flawed person, like the rest of us, and you're welcome to not find her funny or enjoy the show, but the show is decidedly not "garbage". There are few shows out there more consistently praised.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

This show is excellent and I'm telling everyone I know to check it out. It's so well written and cast, plus I have a personal soft spot for mid-century Jewish/Yiddish culture.

What really sparked for me is that it reminded me of my Muslim/Somalian immigrant family here in the States. I think its almost universal in its specificity.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Shageletic posted:

What really sparked for me is that it reminded me of my Muslim/Somalian immigrant family here in the States. I think its almost universal in its specificity.

Yeah it's similar to the way Fresh Off the Boat manages to really capture the immigrant experience in a way that rings really true even if your family culture is completely different. I watched it with my gf and it captured pretty much everything right down to the way her elderly relatives viewed their new country and acted.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DivisionPost posted:

Once it looks like he and Midge might get back together, he's immediately planning his big comeback to comedy, at which point the universe decides, "oh, okay, welp, I'll just take your balls since you don't get the message yet" and leads him to the record store where he discovers a recording of his wife just completely Salieri-ing his bitch rear end, sending him into a full existential meltdown.

All of this. He’s just a manchild with no introspection. All his acting out is a failure to cope with normal adult life, both the affair and the comedy “career” he keeps falling back to.

The Salieri point is apt, because the most cutting thing about Midge isn’t that her set is too personal, it’s that she’s actually *good*.

As for Sophie Lennon, I absolutely get Midge’s reaction. Sophie’s some pampered WASP whose routine is a ridiculous parody of working class Queens. She’s 50’s edition Larry the Cable Guy.

And gently caress Larry the Cable Guy.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, two Golden Globe wins, for Best Comedy/Musical Series and Best Actress for Rachel Brosnahan. I hate awards shows, but I'm happy when people I like and things I like win, if only to spread the word about them and protect them from cancelation.

I’d hate for this show to go the way of Bunheads. If it does end, it needs a proper ending. But I’ve said it before about ASP shows, she really knows how to create a title that’s a complete turn off. I can imagine people taking a look at the title and the cheery photo next to it and thinking it’ll be annoyingly quirky.

If anyone was into the Gilmore Guys, they are doing Maisel podcasts now. I kinda went off them when their shows started being 3 hours long.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SEX BURRITO posted:

But I’ve said it before about ASP shows, she really knows how to create a title that’s a complete turn off. I can imagine people taking a look at the title and the cheery photo next to it and thinking it’ll be annoyingly quirky.

True facts. I would never have watched this show if the title/ad was my only context for it. I literally assumed it was some sort of Mary Poppins story about a magical nanny or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That lovely title font makes me crazy.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Dancer posted:

She's supposed to be a flawed person, like the rest of us, and you're welcome to not find her funny or enjoy the show, but the show is decidedly not "garbage". There are few shows out there more consistently praised.

The first episode is garbage and not funny at all. If the premise of the show is that she is a natural stand-up comedian then perhaps she should be...funny?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I enjoyed the first episode so much I watched it twice back in November but ymmv I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I enjoyed the first episode so much I watched it twice back in November but ymmv I guess.

I laughed almost as hard at her first stand up rant the second time as I did the first.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Regy Rusty posted:

I laughed almost as hard at her first stand up rant the second time as I did the first.

It’s REALLY funny, she has a perfect manic energy in that scene and it’s sort of thrilling how you can see her finding her way from observation to punchline, which only makes the scene where she bombs more excruciating.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Xealot posted:

True facts. I would never have watched this show if the title/ad was my only context for it. I literally assumed it was some sort of Mary Poppins story about a magical nanny or something.

I was trying to put my finger on what I hate about the title and you’ve got it. The Marvellous makes it sound like something mystical.

PrincessKate posted:

The first episode is garbage and not funny at all. If the premise of the show is that she is a natural stand-up comedian then perhaps she should be...funny?

Stand up was a lot different in the 60s though. The comedy is gentle by today’s standards, and it wasn’t as snappy.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’ve watched the first three eps of this, and while it’s not bad, I have some problems:

1) I feel like they’re really over-egging how good Maisel’s comedy is. Don’t get me wrong - it’s good. But the characters fall over each other to tell us how it’s the most amazing thing they’ve ever seen. I suspect at some point the pilot script was largely written but had “insert incredible, genre-defining stand-up routine here” and they really agonised over filling that hole. The show praises Maisel’s comedy so much that you end up unfairly judging it, really.

2) Why is the show going so far out of its way to show me how outrageously wealthy Midge is? It’s making it increasingly tough for me to sympathise with her. Am I really supposed to be upset that she might lose her gigantic, palatial Manhattan apartment, when she can just move back in with her parents in their equally gigantic, palatial Manhattan apartment which is literally just upstairs? I feel like this show said a lot in the second episode when lesbian Yoda pushes the black poet lady off stage so Midge could do her thing. The poet might not have Maisel’s snappy delivery, but I dare say she has a lot more to complain about.

3) It seems crazy that apparently both Midge and lesbian Yoda are putting their futures on the line based on Midge’s comedy when she’s done a total of three performances ever, and all three have been in haze of immediate emotional crises. Can she perform in a week where not much happens to her? We have no idea, yet the characters are acting like this is a long term proposition.

And finally, this isn’t really a criticism or anything, but what is up with Joel’s office? It looks so much like Don Draper’s that I feel like it’s got to be intentional. Are they making some kind of comment about Mad Men? It’s bizarre.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No, that's just what upper management offices in midtown looked like at the time. poo poo, Sterling Cooper and whatever place Joel works could practically be across the street from each other.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Love this show. Yes there are some questionable choices on plotting and characters motives but some of the performances are great. And I grew up in the 60s, later than this show but every reference to those times rings true and is very nostalgic.

DivisionPost posted:

Nope! Once it looks like he and Midge might get back together, he's immediately planning his big comeback to comedy, at which point the universe decides, "oh, okay, welp, I'll just take your balls since you don't get the message yet" and leads him to the record store where he discovers a recording of his wife just completely Salieri-ing his bitch rear end, sending him into a full existential meltdown.

I'd watch a spin-off show of the guys in the little bootleg record shop.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’ve watched the first three eps of this, and while it’s not bad, I have some problems:

1) I feel like they’re really over-egging how good Maisel’s comedy is. Don’t get me wrong - it’s good. But the characters fall over each other to tell us how it’s the most amazing thing they’ve ever seen. I suspect at some point the pilot script was largely written but had “insert incredible, genre-defining stand-up routine here” and they really agonised over filling that hole. The show praises Maisel’s comedy so much that you end up unfairly judging it, really.

2) Why is the show going so far out of its way to show me how outrageously wealthy Midge is? It’s making it increasingly tough for me to sympathise with her. Am I really supposed to be upset that she might lose her gigantic, palatial Manhattan apartment, when she can just move back in with her parents in their equally gigantic, palatial Manhattan apartment which is literally just upstairs? I feel like this show said a lot in the second episode when lesbian Yoda pushes the black poet lady off stage so Midge could do her thing. The poet might not have Maisel’s snappy delivery, but I dare say she has a lot more to complain about.

3) It seems crazy that apparently both Midge and lesbian Yoda are putting their futures on the line based on Midge’s comedy when she’s done a total of three performances ever, and all three have been in haze of immediate emotional crises. Can she perform in a week where not much happens to her? We have no idea, yet the characters are acting like this is a long term proposition.

And finally, this isn’t really a criticism or anything, but what is up with Joel’s office? It looks so much like Don Draper’s that I feel like it’s got to be intentional. Are they making some kind of comment about Mad Men? It’s bizarre.

1) Midge bombs quite often. One of the highlights of the series is when it shows the process of turning a snippy reply or observation into a working joke. And then, putting together "a solid 10" minutes of standup routine (which of course Midge then ignores, goes off-script, and gets in trouble)

2) Midge is not wealthy. Her father's a college professor. Her husband's parents have some success. She has little in the way of her own money or assets.
BUT I agree this is an area where the show is uneven. It might have been better if she was more of a 'struggling artist" who had to succeed on stage to pay the rent, but that would be a different show. What I found odd was how impressed she was with Sophie's home. "Tea and macaroons? Wow this is the high life!"

3)You've got it backwards. What "future on the line" do you think Suzie has? LOL. She's scraping gum off the undersides of tables in a dive bar. Have you seen the episode with her apartment?! One room, a murphy bed that blocks the door when it's down, and no telephone. Of course she's going to seize on this unique opportunity to do something more.
And much of the show is about answering some of your questions & others:
Can Midge perform the same routine in different settings and with different audience demographics? Can she stick to the scripted jokes? Can she handle being on the road? Can she move up in the comedy ranks? Can she impress big-name agents and managers?! It takes the entire first season just for her to come up with a stage name.

Miriam is an attractive woman doing standup. Even today, this is very rare and can pay off it they can make it work - and she doesn't sabotage herself.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 15, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Also I just want to say something about the giant apartment. I'd have also thought you had to be extremely wealthy to have something like that just based on current standards, but then I recently visited a friend and stayed with his great aunt and uncle in Manhattan. They have this massive place with floor to ceiling views of the Hudson (yes it's an old doorman-staffed building on the upper west side), he's not wealthy in the slightest, he worked for the subway system for 50 years and is now retired and when they pass that place will probably be renovated and sold for millions but apparently there was a point in the mid century where you could end up in one on a middle class income. I assume it's rent controlled but who knows.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

1. You are seeing too much here, she has potential but they aren't acting like she is comedy god, nobody is quitting their day job for her to do this either and they show she needs work.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Lorelai and Rory ate like a team of starved horses, not to mention all the other luxuries they afforded, and not all of that was on the Gilmore/Huntsburger dime. Gotta give us stinky poor people something to aspire to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

jojoinnit posted:

Also I just want to say something about the giant apartment. I'd have also thought you had to be extremely wealthy to have something like that just based on current standards, but then I recently visited a friend and stayed with his great aunt and uncle in Manhattan. They have this massive place with floor to ceiling views of the Hudson (yes it's an old doorman-staffed building on the upper west side), he's not wealthy in the slightest, he worked for the subway system for 50 years and is now retired and when they pass that place will probably be renovated and sold for millions but apparently there was a point in the mid century where you could end up in one on a middle class income. I assume it's rent controlled but who knows.
1) Rent control
2) You make baaaaaaaank working in a union for the MTA

Midge's family is clearly wealthy, though, plus obviously money went farther then.

• Locked thread