Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIBKNxSeZU

Welcome to Gravedigger’s Adventure CYOA

You are a doughty Gravedigger, and the last minion of an impoverished lich in a magical medieval land. Undaunted, you stand ready with sturdy shovel to serve your unliving Master and bring his kingdom back to prominence. After all, he has a grip on your very soul.

1. How did you come to serve the Master?

A) The honor of lineage. My father served the Master, and his father before him and his father before him, ad infinitum. I come from the ranks of gravediggers and valets.
B) Slippery fingers and vacuous conscious. I stole a decorative urn; he plucked my soul into a gem. Now if I could only find where that treasure lies…
C) A pact was struck! My wife and baby girl were caught in a carriage crash. He handed over the red-handed highwayman; I pledged my life in service.
D) Ensorcelled! Master has always been the Master. I get a warm pink fluffy feeling when thinking of the Master.
E) Filthy lucre! The economic downturn notwithstanding, the Master has always paid well for my services. I am as married to my pragmatism as he is to his corpse-raising.
F) Enervating ennui. A full life in opium dens I led. Until I found myself bunking in the graveyard, without roof or dreams. When the Master found me I had taken to gibbering at the moon.

2. The Master knows all. What is thy NAME?

A) Rolf
B) Zebulon
C) Jebadiah
D) Something else?

What is this really?

A black-comic romp through a fantasy world as a somewhat villainous gravedigger and his patron Master. Heavily inspired by Darkest Dungeon in visuals and mood and Young Frankenstein in tone. At least I hope that comes across.

I’m working on the rules as we go so stay tuned. Please make rolls using orokos using 1d100 https://orokos.com/roll/

HIGHER is better.

3. By your actions you have been MARKED by Darkness. For what would the Inquisitor throw you to the pyre?

A) My eyes glow in the torchlight, phosphorescent like a cat. However I can see in low light as if it were day.
B) My pointed ears draw ridicule and mockery. However I have always been told I have the luck of the fae.
C) A third nipple itches on my chest. At least it did until it split open into an seeping eye. I can see hazy auras around people.
D) I have spent too much time sleeping in the charnel houses. My complexion is sallow and waxy, but I am turning into a ghoul.
E) A hunchback! Roundly kicked and spat upon I none less possess extraordinary strength for my twisted frame.

~*~CHOOSE WISELY~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh yeah, ground floor. This looks awesome.

Helical Nightmares posted:

~*~CHOOSE WISELY~*~

Not a chance.

E - Slovenly layabout with low aspirations and a creatively weak work ethic: "Uhg, another one? Fresh this time? Yeah yeah I'm going".
A - Rolf
D - Lazy, apathetic and so stoned we don't notice or care if we're turning into one of the undead: "Does this look infected to you?".

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 29, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1. E, but actually vaguely diligent.
2. D. Herb. Not even Herbert. Just Herb.
3. C. Let's earn the cardinal's scorn.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Woot Woot, liking the premise, let's see where this takes us.

E) Filthy lucre! The economic downturn notwithstanding, the Master has always paid well for my services. I am as married to my pragmatism as he is to his corpse-raising.

Man's gotta make a living; you might even say, they're dying to get in. /rimshot

2. The Master knows all. What is thy NAME?

D) Something else?

Obe.

3. By your actions you have been MARKED by Darkness. For what would the Inquisitor throw you to the pyre?

E) A hunchback! Roundly kicked and spat upon I none less possess extraordinary strength for my twisted frame.

C'mon, what else would we be except the hunchback, grave-digging minion?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1: A, lineage
2: B, Zebulon
3: B, pointy ears, lucky

Can I just say I am loving the premise of this thread?

Can we also have a cock-eye like Marty Friedman?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Can we also have a cock-eye like Marty Friedman?

Oh, gives me an idea; can our character speak with a terrible cockney accent, ala Dick Van Dyke?

***** edit *****

It wouldn't be a proper minion / master relationship unless we call our undead overlord 'Gov'na' and such.

Also, it just came to me, we have to keep a skull as a 'pet' and call him Yorrick.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I can't write in cockney other than 'Oi gov' so no. Blimey

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

I can't write in cockney other than 'Oi gov' so no. Blimey

Ask Hexenritter for help, he's a right proper tosser, 'e is.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Fackin roight oi am

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

The 'E's' have it.

---

Just to move things along I'll roll 1d4 for a name

Rolf
Herb
Obe
Zebulon

Roll! 4

Zebulon it is!

---

A) My eyes glow in the torchlight, phosphorescent like a cat. However I can see in low light as if it were day.
B) My pointed ears draw ridicule and mockery. However I have always been told I have the luck of the fae.
C) A third nipple itches on my chest. At least it did until it split open into an seeping eye. I can see hazy auras around people.
D) I have spent too much time sleeping in the charnel houses. My complexion is sallow and waxy, but I am turning into a ghoul.

Lightning Round! First mutation that earns two votes wins!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Lightning Round! First mutation that earns two votes wins!

Hunchback! Hunchback!! Hunchback!!!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ears!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Nipple

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Hunch! Back!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slaan posted:

Hunch! Back!

Yaaay!!! Hunchback Buddy!! :ocelot: :)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

You scratch at your large hunchback as it tingles at your Master's psychic call.

**ZEBULON**

You grab your Gravedigger’s Shovel; a sturdy staff of iron and oak about five feet in stature topped by a broad blade. A quick flick of the wrist and the staff telescopes inwards, collapsing into a reliable handheld spade. Fit enough for gardening the Master’s nightshade or a quick bit of slash and stab in a shadowy alley.

The War Room is an old sepulcher that has seen grander days. A map of the realms in yellowing parchment is splayed over a knight's sarcophagi. The Master stands over the map, twin pinpricks of flame the only illumination in his shadowy hood.

**As you know, Zebulon, We’ve hit an economic downturn**

“Yeth Mathster” You reply

**Save the lisp for formal occasions. The graveyards are drying up from regional peace, and new taxes have been put in place on the thieves’ guild. I’ve had to let go the Alchemist, the Warden, the Thief, the Torturer and the Apprentices. We are working with a skeleton crew, pardon the pun.**

**This means You loyal Zebulon will have to fill multiple positions. Overemployed as it were.**

“Yes Master” You reply

**Your goal will be to steal a body. Not just any mortal detritus. The Philosopher Thomas. He has passed on but that does not mean he is outside my grasp. The whole body is not essential, I will accept the head in a pinch, but do try to get all that you can.**

**Go to the town of Reikmar. Secure the head from the Graveyard there. The body has been in state for two weeks and has been recently interred. Avoid complications like the City Watch if you can; kill if you must. All bodies are welcome in my domain so you may turn a snafu into a useful skeleton. Any filthy lucre you find keep for yourself as a job well done.**

1. How do you make your way to the town of Reikmar?

A) I take one of Master’s skeletal steeds and attempt to hide the abomination in the forest
B) I bury my nose in turnips and parsnips, hiding in a Peasant’s wagon cart as we wheel slowly through the city gates
C) I share a bumpy ride in a carriage with traveling adventurers
D) I disguise myself as a mendicant monk and walk in humbly, ignoring stares and spit alike.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

D, the better to appear to fit in.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

D, the mendicant monk should be good cover going in. We can offer scabrous fingered blessings to those who get too nosy

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

1. How do you make your way to the town of Reikmar?

D) I disguise myself as a mendicant monk and walk in humbly, ignoring stares and spit alike.

Ahh yeah, always go for the False Flag Ops.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A, what's the point of being an evil henchmen if we can't look awesome doing it?!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Slaan posted:

A, what's the point of being an evil henchmen if we can't look awesome doing it?!

We can look awesome once we graduate to the necromaster's wartime consiglieri - or at least when we have the proverbial cash to back the checks you want to write.

Not that that should take long, given current staff issues.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A sounds like the lazy and overly complicated plan we should employ.

Also, if we scuff the face up who's to say the body isn't that of the exact philosopher requested. And really, isn't everyone a philosopher of some sort? At our root, aren't we all one and the same? What I'm saying is just grab any old body we can get our hands on.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The road from the sepulcher is long and windy, filled with switchbacks, hidden ravines and crevasses for the unwary; a perfect hideaway from pestilent and persistent adventurers.

Eventually sturdy boots and stoic tread takes you to the edge of the wood. At a crossroads Reikmar must be near, for a rotting body greets you by swinging gently from a rope; the sign “Thief” punctured into its pectorals. Your fingers itch at this lucky find however. A hangman’s noose taken from the shadow of a crossroad gallows holds mystical power, so the books the Master let you peruse say.

You gain Hangman’s Noose and Gallows Rope (one item).

1. Shall you take the novice thief into your Bag of Holding Bodies?

A sepulchral grey with traces of the faintest green, this canvass bag is a wondrous implement, bequeathed to you by the Master. It is resistant to all sorts of pokes and tears, and it can swallow whole an unreasonable amount of dead bodies without growing in volume. Alas, it cannot carry anything else other than the dead; it is not the fabled Burglar's Bag of Holding.

The walls of Reikmar loom to the south as you stride with a metal shod staff (your gravedigging shovel, disguised), tonsured scalp and begging bowl. As you queue up to pass under the city gate, merchants make wards against the evil eye and Watchmen’s eyes narrow at your salient hunchback. “Mutant” you hear spit, yet none accost you for to their sight your deformity is not quite the devil’s mark. Their mistake suits your purpose.

2. How will you begin your quest of stealing Philosopher Thomas’ body?

A) I find a quiet pub close to the graveyard for a pint and a plan
B) I find a pub in the raucous part of town to gab with adventurers and spread the little coin I have
C) The solace of a church will bring me closer to the churchyard
D) I walk the perimeter of the graveyard directly. My Master commands, and will is bidden.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

1. Shall you take the novice thief into your Bag of Holding Bodies?

Yes! Why wouldn't we?

2. How will you begin your quest of stealing Philosopher Thomas’ body?

C) The solace of a church will bring me closer to the churchyard

We're pretending to be a monk, so, hit the church, mooch some room and board, and get some information on the dead philosopher.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Take the body

A, drinking will lubricate our mind while we formulate a plan.

Does the Master know what this philosopher chap looks like?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No. This guy was a thief, and apparently not a very good one. Once raised he'll probably just steal sone of the masters treasures and peace out, and/or be useless

C, no one would expect an evil minion to go to church!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1. No; we don't want to take the chance he'll be recognized as That rear end in a top hat and compromise us by association.

2. C; abide by our cover.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Do we take the thief's body?

Yes
No

Roll! 2

NO! We leave the thief's corpse unmolested.

Outrail posted:

Does the Master know what this philosopher chap looks like?

The Master has only told you the name of Philosopher Thomas.

----

Slaan posted:

C, no one would expect an evil minion to go to church!

Modesty is the home of Piety, so they say; thus the inhabitants of this church must be quite pious indeed. Bare wooded pews and white plaster walls draw a contrast with a large circle-cross holy symbol in gold leaf that hangs suspended over the altar. The eaves are illuminated by clusters of white candles; fresh and arranged in quiet dignity. Unfortunately for you, the edifice faces East, directly overlooking the churchyard and the mortuary home within. Still, the freshly swept steps outside provide rest for your weary legs and a nice view to survey your target without raising suspicion.

Make a LISTEN roll (1d100) Zebulon

A good sized place of interment for a town, the dead rest in a flat grove about half a city block in size. A six foot tall pointed fence surrounds the landmark, with iron gates to the south and east. It appears they are padlocked at night.

The mortuary is a three story structure in the north east corner of the town. A bit larger and ornate with pillared columns, moreso than you expected. The caretaker likely lives at the mortuary, perhaps on the third floor tower or somewhere on the ground floor you suspect. That is assuming the character is a kind normal folk and not up to occult dealings like yourself.

The rest of the yard holds the usual gaggle of headstones, gargoyles and weeping stone angels. Perfect for skulking around at night. Upon a small hill is an enclosed above ground crypt, surrounded by its own gate. Likely the resting place of the rich and noteworthy of the town surrounding.

1. How shall you proceed with things?

A) I shall scout the yard during the day time. This may increase suspicion.

Under the blanket of night I ....

B) Attempt to scale the fence and rush into the forest of headstones
C) Attempt to enter the inviting window of the mortuary
or
D) something else?

As you formulate your plan you feel a light touch upon your shoulder.

"Greetings Brother. Dawnbringer's blessing to you this fine day. It is rare that we have mendicants come to visit. I hope your Pilgrimage continues favorably?"

You turn to stare into the kindly blue eyes of the Cleric of the church.

THE PRIEST HAS NOTICED YOU.

2. My plans are arrested! I must answer thusly before continuing...

A) Pilgrimage, yes. Infact I must continue...now. Please forgive me Father. (you leave)
B) Fine, fine everything is fine, except for this old hump. Hahaha.
C) Forgive me Father, you very well startled me from my meditations. Dawnbringer's Blessing upon you as well. (conversation begins)
D) Something else...? (write in)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bugger, I'd have voted yes on taking the body.

1 C, mortuary window. we can always throttle and bag whoever catches us
2 C

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Bugger, I'd have voted yes on taking the body.

1 C, mortuary window. we can always throttle and bag whoever catches us
2 C

Voting along 'Hexen' lines.

1 C
2 C

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Witch Knight is always right :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

The Witch Knight is always right :v:

Who dat?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Me?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Present your copy of the Malleus Maleficarum for inspection.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

And therein lies the sneaky deception of my name, for I am a soldier of the occult, not a lackey of the church! Witchy woo woo and stabbiness are my weapons and I am panoplied in sarcasm and cheeky charm!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

And therein lies the sneaky deception of my name, for I am a soldier of the occult, not a lackey of the church! Witchy woo woo and stabbiness are my weapons and I am panoplied in sarcasm and cheeky charm!

EXTERMINATUS!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Someone want to MAKE A LISTEN ROLL (1d100) please?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Listen check at the Monastery of Reikmar: 1d100 64

Good? Maybe? :shrug:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:ohdear: please be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Someone want to MAKE A LISTEN ROLL (1d100) please?

Now that we know the cue, I'll make sure to roll 'dice' next time I see such a request.

• Locked thread