Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
crossposting from the pyf forums quotes thread because these were posted as part of an off topic tangent about slam poetry. i hadn't ever really written poetry before, but whilst pretty inebriated I decided to try out slam poetry at open mic night at my local bar. this was the result:

quote:

my dog was in the yard
DOG
man's best friend
FRIENDS FOREVER
in the yard
eating cat food out of an old can under the deck
old cans, new cans,
CATS
opposite of dogs
OLD
opposite of new
took the can away from my dog
my dog
my friend
best friend
and he BIT me
...the opposite of a friend

it was extremely well received (or so i was told as i barely remember getting onstage and performing it) so a week or two later I tried out another:

quote:

summertime 
and staten island is fuckin' SLEAZY 
clove lakes park is gross 
but when i'm stoned 
it's NICE 
and kinda BREEZY 
a good place... for my dog 
good places 
wide open spaces 
spaces... for my dog 
spaces where he is FREE 
to STOP and DROP his PEE 
right next to a duck 
he steps in mud 
he eats a bug 
he swats a turtle 
he is a pug 
a pug in wide open spaces 
in skeevy staten island places 
places where my pug can pee 
he drinks from the stream 
he pukes in the stream 
frogs gently caress in that stream 
man, gently caress that stream 
gently caress that stream where my pug pukes and pees 
sometimes in the park 
i have to pee 
but i can't 
because some little kid might see 
but kids don't care when pugs pee 
pugs are free 
free to pee 
in all those 
cool and nasty places 

i didn't remember performing this one either, a friend just found the napkin i wrote it down on and sent it to me, she said this one was just as well received by the audience. i wish i remembered :(

i like them, and the folks in the forum quotes thread seem to like them too. i think i'm gonna try writing more poetry :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU