Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MasterSitsu posted:

Dude made fun of social justice stuff in a lot of his work ("Wokus Pocus" was a fave of mine) and it seemed like it wasn't intended to be malicious, but looking at the likes on his twitter feed its nothing but cancel culture gripes, Ben Shapiro, Ngo, Prager, "Radical centrism", police apologism, "Gender critical" posts intentionally misgendering people. Seems like a great guy.

Oh well, it's not like he's particularly productive any more so no loss really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It might color any revisits to some of the Liartown work but thankfully true. All that remains are the Social justice Kittens/Puppies. It was the degree of unfunny bluntness in this years crop that led me down the path to discover that it was not a coincidence.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
That sucks.

Oh well, he still did some great stuff. Too bad his brain broke.

I did wonder why he kept doing the Social Justice Kittens calendars instead of something different.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Hello!

My name is Gutter Phoenix, and I have a lot of stuff.* 

It's time for a purge, and I'm offering YOU the golden opportunity to purchase my superfluous treasure!

I'm going to be posting HUNDREDS of books, movies, comics, weird ephemera, Chick tracts, and other miscellaneous oddities from my private collection. Hooray!

HOW THIS WILL WORK

I'm going to post pics and a brief description of each item. If you want something, post here and stake your claim. I'll PM you with shipping details. 

If you want more than one item, let me know so I can combine shipping and save us both some cash.

If I think of anything else, I will add it here. PM me if you have any questions. 

Here is my paypal address: GutterPhoenixUSA -at- gmail

Feel free to send me money or precious gems. 

*Here is a taste:
GBS weird & wonderful book thread:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842135

GBS trashy magazine thread:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887842

GBS Jack Chick tract thread:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795280&userid=203154

************************************************************************************************************************

Check back often. Bookmark this page. I will be updating and adding to it frequently.  OK, let the calvalcade of crap begin!

************************************************************************************************************************

Edit: over 450 books & magazines listed already, with more on the way! Come buy some of my superfluous fun stuff!!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 21, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The silly 80's Burt Reynolds movie "Malone" was mentioned in the Vantasm thread. It is based on this novel:

I want this, and have been searching for a copy for several years, but the only one I've ever seen for sale is on Amazon for $500.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Welp, he just announced he's restarting Liartown so there goes that barrier. All of his Twitter likes this week are transphobic garbage and his return is being celebrated by countless notables who have no idea.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just spent like $90 for this beauty. My first first edition Delany.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

MasterSitsu posted:

Welp, he just announced he's restarting Liartown so there goes that barrier. All of his Twitter likes this week are transphobic garbage and his return is being celebrated by countless notables who have no idea.

This bums me out. Liartown was hilarious.

Is Liartown 2.0 just gonna be twitter posts? I hope so because I loving hate twitter, so at least it will be easy to ignore.

Desert Bus posted:

I just spent like $90 for this beauty. My first first edition Delany.

Cool! I don't read much sci-fi, so I'm not familiar with his work, but he seems like he's lived an interesting life, so I'm gonna check out some of his essays when I get a chance.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Cool! I don't read much sci-fi, so I'm not familiar with his work, but he seems like he's lived an interesting life, so I'm gonna check out some of his essays when I get a chance.

You should just jump straight to "Hogg" (DON'T ACTUALLY DO THIS).

Wikipedia posted:

Hogg is a novel by Samuel R. Delany. It was written in San Francisco in 1969 and completed just days before the Stonewall Riots in New York City. A further draft was completed in 1973 in London. At the time it was written, no one would publish it due to its graphic descriptions of murder, child molestation, incest, coprophilia, coprophagia, urolagnia, anal-oral contact, necrophilia and rape. Hogg was finally published – with some further, though relatively minor, rewrites – in 1995 by Black Ice Books.

"Dhalgren" is a hard read for various reasons but it's a loving masterpiece and I highly recommend taking the time and effort to read it and then start at the beginning again because it's cyclical.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Chip Delaney‘s great, because it’s easy to read something like Babel 17 and think, “What nice, smart sci-fi. I wonder what else he’s written?” And then you pick up Dhalgren and your brain melts.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

There are parts of Hogg that will stick with you FOREVER. It's the worst book I've ever read despite being well written and compelling. Dhalgren melts your brain, Hogg infests it with hideous poo poo.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is the second printing from June 1958 and a lot of what is inside is kind of amazing but i'm too lazy right now to dig through for good examples (or take pics that don't suck, apparently):

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Next up from 1963 we have this beautiful copy of the first American hardcover printing of L'Étranger (sorry for the reflection it's got plastic over the dust jacket):

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Next up, from 2002, a first edition annotated Hobbit signed by the annotator:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

1963 second edition, i'm a giant fish nerd and a lot of the info is still surprisingly accurate:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I know I have more neat stuff but I am old and tired I will get back to digging around sometime in the future. Sorry for all the sideways pics oops.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I love those Golden Nature Guides.

I was just reading through my copy on rocks & minerals.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love those Golden Nature Guides.

I was just reading through my copy on rocks & minerals.

Owning this one makes me want more of them but I've never put in the effort to buy more of them. I don't even know how I got this one. It's got "DISCARDED" and "Lake County Public Library" stamps on the inside, which is pretty local to me, but I've had it for at least 30? years. I suspect my grandma who lived within walking distance of that library grabbed it for me.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

What are you talking about

https://twitter.com/ShittingtonUK/likes

:yikes:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This would have been so much funnier than another Social Justice Kittens calendar:

Or this:

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2021

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My book club's pick for May was Babel-17. (It was on the slate for 2020 but the pandemic happened and book club didn't meet for much of it.) In 2019 we read Embassytown And I actually liked Babel-17 better. I also have a long-standing love affair with metafiction and I'm glad the other people in book club do not find me insufferable when I go on and on and on about it. Stream of consciousness writing about cultural linguistics? Sign me the gently caress up.

I don't collect many first editions anymore because one of my very first roommates had a habit of stealing them from me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I've got firsts of Embassytown, Kraken, and three moments of an explosion. Most of my firsts are modern sci-fi/fantasy that I've bought when they're released and so not super interesting.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's in that hot-dog?
Is Peter Porker a cannibal?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I assume the hot dog is made of people.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I don't own this one, but it belongs here:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
all that boomer pillow dough and he couldn't hire someone to design a cover

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

It's lenticular!!!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That cover looks like someone took a photo of an LCD monitor displaying the actual design for the cover.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Cross-post from the cursed image thread:

I want to know if the cat is Rainer Emig, or if the cat is Antony Rowland.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Porfiriato posted:

That cover looks like someone took a photo of an LCD monitor displaying the actual design for the cover.

I think its one of those angular picture changing prism things. Probably goes mugshot/suit or something predictable.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

It's lenticular!!!

Yeah these things.

Edit: lol

****Due to the holographic cover this will not be accepted into prisons/jails. Please choose the prison approved version.****

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 22, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

found this odd booklet in a little free library the other day:

no shorties allowed:

there are RULES, young man

joe must have been reading this one

trap her against the sofa

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have a copy of that! You got that for free? That's a good score.

It inspired another book (also published in 1936), which took things a step further:

I have both, but mine are bootleg reprints.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

It inspired another book (also published in 1936), which took things a step further:

I have both, but mine are bootleg reprints.

oh boy, you've got to take some shots of the inside of that one. i got the reprint too. i haven't gotten to read the whole thing yet, but from my flipping through, it seems like such a strange mix of regressive and progressive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

found this odd booklet in a little free library the other day:

no shorties allowed:

there are RULES, young man

joe must have been reading this one

trap her against the sofa

MAOR

LIEK

THE

FART

OF

PISSING

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

MAOR

LIEK

THE

FART

OF

PISSING

:a2m:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

nishi koichi posted:

oh boy, you've got to take some shots of the inside of that one. i got the reprint too. i haven't gotten to read the whole thing yet, but from my flipping through, it seems like such a strange mix of regressive and progressive

Yeah, I got a bunch of old sex guides from Gutter Phoenix's garage sale (like, all of them? there are a lot of these loving things in our Giant Box O' Books) and I've started paging through them, and "strange mix of regressive and progressive" is a good way to describe it. I've mostly looked at The Sexually Adequate Male so far, and it has a lot of authentically reasonable relationship advice! And... then you get to a case study about homo/bisexuality and everything goes straight to Hell. Absolute whiplash.

Also, it refers to anal sex as "rectal intercourse," which isn't technically incorrect, but... man oh man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

WTF? Not posting illustrations? Better step up your posting game, GP! :agesilaus:

In all seriousness illustrations from old “not in mixed company” type books are the best.