Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

2017 started out as the worst time in my life. I took that poo poo, turned it around, lost a fuckton of weight and got engaged to a literal Disney Princess. 87 days til I get married and I've never been happier or healthier.

Beauty and the beast mode

Edit: please turn the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
BIRTHDAY DETHDAY TRACKDAY TOMORROW

My only downer is that I'm not going in a 4 cam mod motor 240SX, but ya'll know I've been gradually getting poo poo done on it, so that will happen next year barring some crazy poo poo.

If I wake up after tomorrow I'll have completed 35 orbits around the star Sol on the weird rock we wrongly call Earth. 2/3s of the surface of the planet is water.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

If I wake up after tomorrow I'll have completed 35 orbits around the star Sol on the weird rock we wrongly call Earth. 2/3s of the surface of the planet is water.

Nice job, keep getting older and not dying.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I think I've said this before, but I have a vague notion that most poo poo that happens to you outside of your control is negative. Entropy's a bitch like that. The world's falling to poo poo, bad stuff you don't like happens. Totally get it.

We as humans, however, have the ability to work towards poo poo we want to do, and the actualization of that idea brings happiness for me, personally. So I go do it. Everything that currently makes me happy is something I've worked my rear end off for. The world may or may not be going to poo poo, but the only path I've found to true god's honest happiness is hard work.

poo poo, I don't even look at hard work as a bad thing anymore. It's a mountain out there for me to climb and plant my flag penis on top of.

All this to say whatever you want to go do, as long as it doesn't bring someone else suffering, go do it man. I believe in all y'all and I hope y'all can work to be happy in 2018.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

I think I've said this before, but I have a vague notion that most poo poo that happens to you outside of your control is negative. Entropy's a bitch like that. The world's falling to poo poo, bad stuff you don't like happens. Totally get it.

For instance I just clogged a work toilet while typing this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
DIMITRI, ITS NOT A DOOMSDAY DEVICE IF YOU DONT TELL ANYBODY

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Grakkus posted:

I've been working freelance for two years now and my experience is more along the lines of 4 hours work for 12 hours pay. This is Europe though so YMMV, I hear the US a pretty different attitude towards work

I guess you are not in IT in the UK? I'm under pressure to charge less per day. Nobody will let me charge expenses on top and I have to travel the entire country to get work so I seem to often do 6 hours of travel and then 6 hours of work for 8 hours of pay.

This week I have invoiced for 2 actual days of work. I've then done 14 hours out on site and around 7 hours of driving for those 2 days. I'ts going to take me the entirety of tomorrow writing proposals and quotes to (hopefully) get another 7 days of work.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Adopt a cat. (If feasible)

I'd love one but I frequently spend 5+ days per week away from home for the above reasons and I'm a bit scared of the commitment. I have nightmares that I've got a cat and then gone away and forgotten about it

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey.

Hey you. Yeah, you!

Come play the Sheep Game!

The more of us who play, the better (and funnier) the answers become. 17 have answered the call so far, and I am aiming this time for at least 60!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, the current world situation in the US is kind of grim and depressing, but overall this year has been pretty ok for me personally. Had a little girl, sold my sports car and bought a new baby mobile GTI, made the garage look baller (half rear end paint and epoxied floor), met financial goals for retirement savings (maxed that shiz, for the first time ever), started mountain biking (lol mountains in Michigan) and hosed around a fair amount doing lazy poo poo that I enjoyed even if it was less than productive. I already know I'm not getting promoted at work which is a bummer, but hopefully something good will come out of it in the end. Make the most of it, folks.

This video always cheers me up if I'm getting bummed and makes me chuckle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 1, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There used to be a goon gt5 vid that was like gt55555+ or something, 7 veyrons and a prius i lost and it makes me laugh so, so hard

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Life is like an aeroplane...

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have...

Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum...what might right for you may not be right for some...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

HERE IN. DUCKBERG.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I listen to an oldie's station (92.7 KAGZ wazzup) and on the drive home from work the night I was told it was over these two songs played in a row:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeHHpXOOds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_xDytEB1Q

I was like, "COME ON! Really?" at the radio.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

HERE IN. DUCKBERG.

Go ahead just click it you know you want to

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The guy who wrote the duck tales theme song also wrote this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lXKZ9Zksg

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhSnaqou0I

Man, this is a rabbit hole of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNilCIiiYbU&t=56s

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 1, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In the next 4 days I have:
-Senior design presentation/report (due tomorrow night)
-Final exam for satellites class (also tomorrow)
-Final homework for heat transfer 2 (also also tomorrow)
-Writeup of presentation for satellites class, due monday night
-Study for 3 heat transfer exams in a 3-hour period on monday

currently exchanging my blood for energy drinks, i'll see you folks on the other side

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah December. On the second of the month I finally get paid for poo poo I sold on ebay (there was a 20 day wait for any payment made via paypal to me)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I like bread.

2017 can go gently caress itself.

Jeep is going well since being re-registered. Still keeps popping the CEL for the O2 sensor. Can't do poo poo about anything right now. gently caress this time of year seriously.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Today built the blast cabinet I've had in my shed for almost 6 months. Now I need a bigger compressor :negative:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Got myself back under 300lbs again. :toot: got to keep it rolling,but I seem to be dropping about 3lbs a week, so getting there.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah December. On the second of the month I finally get paid for poo poo I sold on ebay (there was a 20 day wait for any payment made via paypal to me)
You might need to chase them on that. I had it (selling certain things seem to make them lock down funds in case you're a scammer), and the date on it was totally borked by some flavour of the Unix date problem, and said my funds would be available in 1969. Took a couple of phone calls to untangle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nobody sneeze near my modem....

GODDAMNIT WHO SNEEZED

So yeah.. TWC/Spectrum/whatever they're known as this week has already been out. Confirmed it's a wiring issue inside my apartment - tech even showed me the signal readings he was getting at the pedestal on the side of my building, they were drat near perfect (and last time I looked at the modem status page - about a week ago - power and SnR were downright great). Then showed me the signals he got at my cable outlet, which closely matched what my modem was reporting. It wasn't able to sync at all earlier, so I was a bit shocked when I got home tonight and found it working. Sort of. It's slower than usual (still decent.. 35 down/9 up), and my modem is apparently angry (all LEDs except power are normally blue.. right now US, DS, and online are green, and US/DS are blinking steadily instead of being solid). He already swapped the wall plate, crimped new connectors on the cable at both the pedestal and behind the wall plate, and pulled a good 20 feet of excess coax out of the wall (:wtc:). That brought the signal from -20 to -17 before I went to work (wasn't enough for it to sync), and once the sun went down, I guess something contracted and got it online by a thread.

So yeah, tech has to get authorization from the property manager to pull new coax... either through the attic or across the building exterior. There's no attic access inside my apartment, I'm not sure there is in any apt in my building, and the manager wasn't here to give approval today. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wally Joyner posted:

I know this is going to be an unforgettable experience and I'm super thrilled but it's definitely a long way from my insulated Minnea-comfort-zone. It's a timely shake-up, really

I'm currently enrolled in an Education program hoping to one day be teaching Social studies.

The further you get from your comfort zone in terms of culture the better, it opens your eyes to other experiences and that's never a bad thing. Go with an open mind and don't say no to any offer of doing poo poo with anyone who asks you, it'll be great.

InitialDave posted:

Got myself back under 300lbs again. :toot: got to keep it rolling,but I seem to be dropping about 3lbs a week, so getting there.

Slow and steady, man. Good work.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Tomarse posted:

I guess you are not in IT in the UK? I'm under pressure to charge less per day. Nobody will let me charge expenses on top and I have to travel the entire country to get work so I seem to often do 6 hours of travel and then 6 hours of work for 8 hours of pay.

I do software development on 3-12 month contracts, primarily for Swiss companies. I work remotely, though, so I only have to travel when interviewing for jobs or for special occasions. On average I work 4-6 hours a day depending on how good I am at doing what I'm assigned, crunch periods notwithstanding. That may not sound like much but I'm usually about as productive (if not a little more) than my 9-5 inhouse coworkers, who from my observations tend to space the same amount of work out over an 8 hour work day with frequent coffee breaks etc.

The downside is that I charge 20% less than I would get working inhouse, but that pay cut is worth it for me for the freedom it gives.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit someone sneezed too close to the modem.

Time to find out how serious T-Mobile is about their "UNLIMITED DATA ****until you hit 28GB" poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Goddamnit someone sneezed too close to the modem.

Time to find out how serious T-Mobile is about their "UNLIMITED DATA ****until you hit 28GB" poo poo.

T Mobile unlimited owns hard for me

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

In the next 4 days I have:
-Senior design presentation/report (due tomorrow night)
-Final exam for satellites class (also tomorrow)
-Final homework for heat transfer 2 (also also tomorrow)
-Writeup of presentation for satellites class, due monday night
-Study for 3 heat transfer exams in a 3-hour period on monday

currently exchanging my blood for energy drinks, i'll see you folks on the other side

You got this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Happy Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doGRULWycw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mueller got Flynn flipped and plead. Its a very happy Friday.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Mueller got Flynn flipped and plead. Its a very happy Friday.

I've just read that. lol

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hnnnnng I'm so close

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had my first appointment at Biolife (plasma purchasing service) and my B- blood is so in demand that they gave me a bonus payment.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
(this is totally tongue-in-cheek) Shut up and take my money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

(this is totally tongue-in-cheek) Shut up and take my money.

They already called me to schedule my next appointment. Major need for beeneg right now. Usually you take whatever appointment you can get but my gold blood gets me priority I guess. Being healthy probably doesn't hurt either. I need to figure out how often I can safely do this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Automotive Insanity: selling blood plasma to keep fleet of mazdas running

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm at VIR with Toplitzin on my birthday. Life is good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

They already called me to schedule my next appointment. Major need for beeneg right now. Usually you take whatever appointment you can get but my gold blood gets me priority I guess. Being healthy probably doesn't hurt either. I need to figure out how often I can safely do this.

But can you sell it ON THE FLOOR?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

ON THE FLOOR?

Never gets old :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was thinking about that as I was about to hit the post button... and I agree, it just never does!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Y'all need some new material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

He already swapped the wall plate, crimped new connectors on the cable at both the pedestal and behind the wall plate, and pulled a good 20 feet of excess coax out of the wall (:wtc:). That brought the signal from -20 to -17 before I went to work (wasn't enough for it to sync), and once the sun went down, I guess something contracted and got it online by a thread.

Usually a good installer will leave a long run of extra cable in the wall when he does an install so that if john q fucknut drives a nail through the wall and damages the cable (or a rat eats it or whatever), they can just pull the cable out and crimp a new fitting on the end of the line. This saves them having to try running a new drop down the wall which is a pain in the dick at the best of times or running it along a wall which most property owners object to doing. Any house my dad did an install in has probably 5ft of spare wire in the wall for every outlet that he hooked up. Probably part of where my whole "plan for future fuckups" thing comes from.

• Locked thread