Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah you'll work 12 hours for maybe 4 hours pay.

I've been working freelance for two years now and my experience is more along the lines of 4 hours work for 12 hours pay. This is Europe though so YMMV, I hear the US a pretty different attitude towards work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Tomarse posted:

I guess you are not in IT in the UK? I'm under pressure to charge less per day. Nobody will let me charge expenses on top and I have to travel the entire country to get work so I seem to often do 6 hours of travel and then 6 hours of work for 8 hours of pay.

I do software development on 3-12 month contracts, primarily for Swiss companies. I work remotely, though, so I only have to travel when interviewing for jobs or for special occasions. On average I work 4-6 hours a day depending on how good I am at doing what I'm assigned, crunch periods notwithstanding. That may not sound like much but I'm usually about as productive (if not a little more) than my 9-5 inhouse coworkers, who from my observations tend to space the same amount of work out over an 8 hour work day with frequent coffee breaks etc.

The downside is that I charge 20% less than I would get working inhouse, but that pay cut is worth it for me for the freedom it gives.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Sit in the sunshine??? That's a slow and unpleasant form of suicide.

Social media just makes me angry. So does the news really, unless it's things like space or scientific discovery. They are pretty benign. Hell, I'm an angry person. But I control it. The only reason I signed up to Facebook was an attempt to contact people I hadn't seen in years and no longer had their contact information. It's an absolute cesspit.
I'm also not a jealous person, but I guess I do have a bit of a twinge when people I knew are going on holidays, enjoying a relaxing day, being happy etc when I'm on damage control 24/7 trying to put out the metaphorical flames with my hands in a giant rubbish fire.

Well, poo poo. Typing this has put me over my time budget.

It's a legit psychological thing that people get depressed when they compare their lives unfavourably to the lives they perceive their friends to be leading via facebook. The fact is that most people try to post only the best sides of themselves on facebook, so they seem to be having amazing lives where everything goes right for them, when in 99% of cases that isn't whats going on at all, and they have as many lovely things going on as you do :)

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Feeling pretty glad right now that the EU has some pretty hefty net neutrality laws. What's it going to look like in the UK after Brexit, has there been any talk about it?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

We just came back from Christmas with my girlfriend's family in Germany, and we flew with SWISS back from Stuttgart over Zürich to Copenhagen.

I have never felt so pampered in economy class before. Such a pleasant crew, a very nice complimentary cheese sandwich and our choice of drinks (soda, juice, even red wine).

And the chocolate, oh god the chocolate. Probably the best milk chocolate I've ever had, with an absolutely perfect snap and gorgeous taste. Just outstanding.

In loving economy class, man.

I fly to Zürich occasionally for work, mostly with SWISS, and I absolutely agree. Top notch airline and by God can they make a chocolate.

• Locked thread