Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah December. On the second of the month I finally get paid for poo poo I sold on ebay (there was a 20 day wait for any payment made via paypal to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I wound up replacing an oxygen sensor with motherfucking pliers because I couldn't find this poo poo, and did my last oil change via vice grips on the drain plug. :argh:

At least now I just need to get a wobble joint to pull the intake manifold, instead of buying another socket set. And now I can go back and properly tighten the new O2 sensor.

You're the PO everyone dreads :)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Just a quick glance at a philips page for one... It's basically a small convection oven that won't get quite as hot and has much smaller capacity? Also, LOL at the gordon ramsey promo.

I lost my kitchen and now living with family temporarily. I'm not allowed to use the oven or stove top (they're neat freaks) so I was looking into a air frier or small benchtop oven. I ended up with a benchtop oven as it's more useful for things like simple grilling (I keep my bread in a freezer and grill one side for to defrost it which also makes a better non soggy pro sandwich). Also easily fits the single aussie mans staple of a meat pie with a large tray of chips dinner, plus it goes a higher temp and fits larger things like full freshly homemade pizzas.
When I move on I can use it for circuit board reflowing I guess?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They use the oven for cutting board storage! They weren't even going to keep the oven or get a new stove top for their bench when they replaced the bench top recently. They only got a new bech stove top because other family members chided them into it citing it will devalue the house. They were fully going to buy and use a cheap plug in induction plate. They rather use cheap appliances they can chuck out rather than maintain fixed kitchen equipment.

They use a lovely electric frypan or microwave for most of their own cooking, so they bitch if I wanted to use the oven or use a saucepan on their new induction top - don't want to scratch the top or get a fry pans and saucepan dirty...
So I use my pressure cooker as a pot (it's electric and has brown/simmer function as well as pressure cook), and the small benchtop oven/grill and just keep to myself.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tomarse posted:

Can you not just buy the cleaning equipment in advance of using it in order to appease them?
Why would I need to? I got my electric pressure cooker and the small oven so I am all sorted. Not like I'm cooking huge meals for others any more.
Also - appease them? The day after I moved in I found most of my kitchen stuff in the bin. Stuff that was from the fridge was a write off, but I got most of my herbs, spices and crockery back out of the bin :lol: Most of my cookware was chucked somewhere in their shed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
:iceburn:

slidebite posted:

Jesus Christ Amazon.

From an order I'm looking at placing right now. Prime 2 day delivery: Weds Dec 13.

Today is Dec 5 :what:

slothrop posted:

Just come to Australia where house prices are…

HAHAHAHHA

https://imgur.com/a/KU07a
Just come to Australia where the postal service is always slow and ridiculous. Now amazon started properly this week, stay and see them fail because of the postal service. They'll never be able to make auspost run fast. They'll never get USA companies to deal out media, brand or cut out the local distributor rights in order to get close to price parity or be a similar sort of shoppers paradise that it is in the US.

bolind posted:

I had to block reddit on both work and home computers. It's still my guilty on-the-pooper-with-the-phone pleasure, but yes, agreeing 100% with you.
In Australia we laugh at whirlpool.net forums if we want to laugh while on the shitter. gently caress reddit.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 6, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Wrar posted:

Life tip:

If the ginger beer isn't from the islands it's probably not that good. Lookin at you being disappointing Australia.

What ginger beer? soft drink(all flavouring), fermented (real ginger but non alc soft drink), proper beer beer?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never heard of bermuda/barritts

Cheap soft drink here is Kirks "olde stoney" ginger beer.
Fermented soft drink version is bundaberg
Beer beer is ginger ninja.

For UK stuff it's nothing but Stones ginger wine or beer.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sold the parent's 2003 Holden Cruze today in what seemed like a record time.
Cleaned off all the white polish my dad left, washed the car, took 10 photos and relisted it on gumtree for $2500. Got a phone call 2min after the add went live, and they rocked up with $2200 30min later and bought it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

the spyder posted:

I've got a stack of hdd's here to get rid of after upgrading my NAS and lab boxes, but holy poo poo is it a crap show to try and sell them. I'm probably going to just list them as a lot on eBay and let someone else deal with the flakes/scammers.

Be like everyone else and realize electronics are supposed to be disposable* so normal people don't buy them second hand. If you are selling them you will mainly get the crazies and time wasters. If you are fine with that then go ahead.
gumtree cl kjikjijkjik etc work fine when selling stuff normal people buy second hand. I have no hassles with tools, ladders, cars, vintage stuff.

*unservicable, too hard to visually check, no idea if an item being tested gets flakey after 1hr use etc)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What the gently caress. I hate filthy cars and always cringed at the state of the exterior and interior of the exs car, (or my EL falcon when I let her have it before she bought her own commodore to trash)
If you think it's vaping related then it's just glycerin or propylene glycol

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 10, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The AI Facebook group has been renamed semi-appropriately.

(hopefully the new name might scare off some of the spamme ahahahahah who the gently caress am I kidding)

What's the name? I made some dumb fb account recently in order to get in contact with my brother. I got in touch with him so wasn't going to log in to fb anymore but...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
:lol: ford falcon and aussie chrysler ute in the header pic. Who runs this poo poo show?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
4 posts are good for drive on stuff, like oil change, exhausts and trans. But 2 post do that plus suspension and brakes/wheels off stuff.
Most trans and exhaust places only have 4 post because that's all they need plus easier to just drive on/off, most mechanics need a 2 post though, and often have a 4 post as well.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Why would you buy the cheapest for tyres?
Out of my disposable income, $30 for food, $30 for rollies, $30 for beer, $30 for spirits (or either spent at the home brew/distill store), the rest on a car.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't buy the cheapest. Every time I don't buy the cheapest. Every time I feel it's an extravagance. Then i repeatedly don't die crashing into people or hydroplaning into a tree.

Also car parts come before disposable income...

Yeah I read you ok, meaning throwing money at a car. That's why I didn't quote and say lookit dis guy. I'm annoyed every time I buy a car I have to get poo poo tyres off those said cars though. There's a time and place to scrimp, that often means catching the bus because there's no money for parking or fuel because all the money was spent on a brakes, suspension rebuild and tyres.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

BigPaddy posted:

Come on now, hard plastic Wanli ditch finders are perfectly fine if you hate life.

You'll need to think of a better excuse why some people are poo poo or why poo poo tyres are even made, let alone stocked and sold.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sounds like a sweet chilli sauce, or some off brand sriracha.
Sweet chilli sauce is good though.
Is Franks even a classic in the UK? I've seen it in Au but I go for more the asian brands for a plain chilli sauce (ABC is good if you don't mind MSG), or a local 'gourmet' chilli sauce as we're mad about chillies and a lot of growers have started small chilli sauce businesses.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 21, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

Hey everybody, it's december 22nd, better drive like idiots!

You can't get into the christmas spirit until you get in a fist fight over a parking spot when half the lot is still empty.

Apparently a lot of people also crash on the 23rd. Took my kid to a park that's outside a shopping centre and saw a crash at the intersection that knocked down a traffic light.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Very worn, quite lean on #4

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The only car related thing I have bought is lego and slot car track for my kid.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

.... they were kind enough to include a link to the video. Uh.... that wasn't a short yellow. :sigh: If anything it was a little generous for the speed limit. Busted fair and square.

I didn't know they had speed radar on those things either. :stare: (or maybe the cameras just figure it based on how far you go between the 2 photos?)

$75 lesson. It'd been red for 0.3 seconds when I tripped the camera, 0.9 when I cleared the intersection. And the video shows I'd had a burnt out brake light for a lot longer than I realized. :doh:

Pretty cheap. Here it's $300, 3 points (but 6 points because holidays have double points). And youd get done for speeding if over on top of that. Yeah, they can just use the 2 photos to work out speed.
But some traffic lights have a speed radar/lidar detector on them here to bust people speeding even if not running a light in a "have camera there, may as well use it for more than just red lights). But that's a new thing in the past 10 yrs, don't need it for regular traffic red light cameras if you trip them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 24, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Seminal Flu posted:

So Lepin Lego knock-offs are no joke. Santa brought my son the Saturn V and LeMans racer. He hasn't made the rocket yet, but the LeMans car is not 100%, but a solid 99%+ equivalent. It's a Technics set, and a couple of the advanced mechanism don't operate as smoothly as Lego brand, but with a bit of massaging they can. Overall? $55 delivered for a set that costs $130 from Lego is tough to argue against... https://shop.lego.com/en-US/24-Hours-Race-Car-42039

There's a lot I've been eyeing off. Some of the smaller sets aren't any cheaper than the real deal here (due to the $US and greedy pricing). But some of the larger sets can be good. Not necessarily lepin brand, heard better things about enlighten or some other brand, like Gudi? From what I read those two brands are the second best after legit stuff
I ended up getting a legit lego truck locally for $20 (as well as some hotwheels plus a non related slot car racing track). But some smaller lego sets would have been no cheaper for the lepin than china after the currency conversion, may as well buy legit local. But if he develops further interest in lego I want to get the space shuttle and launch pad set which I think is about US$30 but would be a ~$90 set here. You can't get the legit lego old launch pad anymore I think, but you can get a legit shuttle for $20, so maybe have two shuttles to mix and match together and a base/launch station or whatever E: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GUD...mStoreLevelAB=5

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 26, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I seriously thought about fixing up my old sets, but no chance of finding specialty pieces from pre 1990. I need some round shields, hinged turn table pieces, saddles, old school space air tanks and helmets and a whole bunch of other crap specialty old pieces and no chance these days. If they remolded all sorts of old stuff like that then there wouldn't be "investors". Also funny their parts online store close from DEC to FEB anyway. I was bored and willing to restore some of it for my kid over the holidays, but store closed.
E: ooh, the "flexi hose piece" too

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 26, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fermented Tinal posted:

I had some lego castle from like 25 years ago, I think I remember seeing it on ebay awhile back for literally thousands of dollars. There's a bunch of special blocks in it, like the walls, and I've seen those sell for $Texas. My parents still have it somewhere and I think when my bro and his wife have kids they're gonna get it along with several bins of lego sets and loose blocks.
I still have those castle sets. I didn't get the biggest castle but I have nearly every other set. The medium castle, the very small one with seige tower, plus catapult, ballista, many wagons, knights etc. They're the ones I was trying to restore. I need a lot basic blocks which are no big deal (1x1 plates, holder plates, base plates, 1x2 angle, 1x1 cylinders and cones etc), but there's problem with old shields, weapons, saddles, horse harness/turntable, wagon wheels and some other unique pieces.
My kid likes them so I'd like to restore. Plus I want to restore my old space sets from late 70s and very early 80s

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 26, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

LloydDobler posted:

They had these tiny half long locking rings with teeth on them and they were fragile as all hell.
The little gray fuckers, I know I broke a bunch of them:
I have 4-6 of them and I have no idea where they came from. I'm suprised out of all the 1x1 plates and slightly bigger specialty pieces I've lost or broken, why the hell do I have these pieces and never lost or broken them, and where the hell did they come from. I've lost 99% instructions (got a lot online though), but if I don't remember the set, then whelp, no idea why I have that or those pieces. E: There's a whole bunch of the axles stuff and grey peices too, but no idea what I had. I think I just bought a few spares or gear sets for no reason and not a construction set just because I had $5 but not enough to buy anything proper with my pocket money.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I have legit gripes. I've googled and computer says no to pennies.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
nevermind, not serious.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 27, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's 11:17Pm here. Broke as gently caress as usual(didn't spend all my money on cars this time, most went as presents to my kid), and as normal, staying home drinking home made booze. Music for tonight is swordfishtrombones, mainly because of town with no cheer, down, down, down and gin soaked boy.
also gently caress 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845130

• Locked thread