Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I like bread.

2017 can go gently caress itself.

Jeep is going well since being re-registered. Still keeps popping the CEL for the O2 sensor. Can't do poo poo about anything right now. gently caress this time of year seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just learned not all "maintenance free" batteries have cell caps under the top cover. I have just made a horrible mistake.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

How many eyes do you have left.

Two. Who cares about that when I have damaged a usable battery? It's definitely not the best battery but it has been usable.
The other maintenance free battery I popped the top off today had cell covers. I topped it up. It needed some because I made a mistake yesterday. Had the stupid battery on charging for maybe four hours. It's a poo poo battery that I just use for stuff around the yard. It didn't really want to take much current. Over the course of the day the current it was taking was going up. I went to have a shower, and when I came back out there was steam shooting out the vent like a kettle and the charge current was sitting on maybe 30A. Whoops!

Today I also got stuck in a town over the border. Niva wouldn't crank. For the third time in my life I had to call roadside assistance. Started instantly with jumper leads. Stalled it in the driveway when I got home. Started without an issue. I really need a couple of new batteries for the cars but this time of year is very bad for finances. Have to ride it out.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, we're a long way off running out of adults who need physical punishment...

Talk about a dream job. Where do I sign up to be a vigilante?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll tell you what has value. Go outside. Sit in the sunshine. gently caress social media.

Sit in the sunshine??? That's a slow and unpleasant form of suicide.

Social media just makes me angry. So does the news really, unless it's things like space or scientific discovery. They are pretty benign. Hell, I'm an angry person. But I control it. The only reason I signed up to Facebook was an attempt to contact people I hadn't seen in years and no longer had their contact information. It's an absolute cesspit.
I'm also not a jealous person, but I guess I do have a bit of a twinge when people I knew are going on holidays, enjoying a relaxing day, being happy etc when I'm on damage control 24/7 trying to put out the metaphorical flames with my hands in a giant rubbish fire.

Well, poo poo. Typing this has put me over my time budget.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

the spyder posted:

Walked into work today and it smelled like a a dozen homeless people threw up after eating at the discount sushi train across the street, hit up the closest Mexican restaurant for seconds, and washed it down with the finest $2 buck chuck.

Turns out it was an electrical fire in the buildings main breaker panels from 1948 and there's the chance we might loose power at any minute.

Good thing we have backups. Oh wait... that's next years budget.

You should see the panel at the local shop that builds ute trays, cattle feeders etc. It is without doubt the oldest bit of electrics I have seen in service. I bet it was there when the town was still running off the diesel generator. They are running welders, plasma cutters I think, and various other cutting and machining tools off it. How it hasn't gone up in flames I don't know.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Or kick it in a cafe on the water

Yeah, um. No. Looks good though!

I'm sure Australians are aware of the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scam Scheme). Long story short it would seem there are a lot of applications in limbo because a phone call needs to be made to the NDIA for confirmation. The letters that were sent out months ago state that poo poo's all good and to wait for a phone call from them to discuss needs. So we have people waiting for a phone call that never comes because they have to make a phone call that was never mentioned. :bravo:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey you can now get same sex married in australia.

About drat loving time.

Yep. I was fully expecting some crusty old troll to throw a spanner in the works at the last minute. Somehow it didn't happen. I guess very occasionally the government can be pressured into doing what the majority want.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I just ordered 3 new heater cartridges and 5 thermistors from Amazon and it got split up into 8 shipments :psyduck:

So I just looked up a heater cartridge and I still don't understand what they are.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

There were crusty old troll amendments thrown in, but were voted down by a huge margin. This included a MP actually criticising his 8 year old daughter's guitar playing on public record, trying to make some point that people will run into his house uninvited to get gay married I think? Not sure.

Was it Bob Katter? He's saying some very ...odd things.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

3D printer parts. In this case, the bit that actually melts the filament.

Ah. Gotcha. Because I found the part but with no context. I learned something today!

I accidentally ended up on the Australia First party's website just now via Google Images. At least I think it was. I really hope it's just a parody site. Please, please tell me that's true. It can't be real. It's like someone trying to poorly emulate The Onion. I wish I could emigrate.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Shame it's the wrong part of the world. There's a mid '70s-ish 4 door MB near me for $1500, and a similar vintage 2 door which I think is for sale too. I think there's also some Ford Capri convertibles and some Saab 900 convertibles for sale in town too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I moved the old wardrobe from the bedroom today. With a hammer, but nevermind that.

Say hello to my kitchen. A whole diagonal section of that poo poo. I was wondering what my daily "gently caress you!" would be today. Was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cage posted:

They're blue switches. For $18 it was an easy buy.

I get $26.99. Aww :(

I still haven't got around to finding a suitable mechanical switch to replace the broken one in my XT mechanical keyboard that I was using on the PC. I don't even know how many keyboards I've gotten through since that one. Some cheap ones, maybe 3 or 4 Logitechs and an IP rated one for medical and industrial use.

Just wish I could find my heavy-as-a-brick XT keyboard that beeps with every keypress. Great for infuriating people. It doesn't have an F11 or F12 though. I literally never use the Windows key so I couldn't care less about that.

Dieselchat: I'd love a diesel. It's not uncommon for me to drive 7-800km a day only stopping for the destination in the middle... and fuel. loving cars and their puny tanks. My old ZL fairlane had a long range tank. The NF Fairlane was dual fuel and I could get maybe 900km out of both.

The Niva has horrifying fuel efficiency, but it's what I use for hauling poo poo, running errands and going bush.

The Rav4 really wasn't very efficient. Came in at roughly 11-12L-100km.

The XJ with it's O2 sensor CEL, lots of Km and fairly knobbly A/T tyres still gets the best economy. Go figure.

Two things sell for a whole lot around here. Small, efficient cars regardless of age and diesels. Fuel is very expensive and drives are always long.

• Locked thread