Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Page three and the thread has already turned to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
how dare you suggest that a party almost entirely represented by upper middle class educated white people doesn't know how to appeal to the working class!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If Greens get Maiwar there's going to be some real salt from QLD LNP and ALP.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

tithin posted:

Have y'all considered just chilling the gently caress out because holy loving poo poo

We are having a jocular conversation.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/936365825455415296

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Going to bring up the class issue in the state office election debrief, see what happens.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I work in a servo mate, get farked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

I work in a servo mate, get farked.

Look at this so called Greenie, supporting big oil,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Look at this so called Greenie, supporting big oil,

Yeah put your money where your mouth is ya dog.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Page three and the thread has already turned to poo poo.

You could always immigrate to CanPol and know that the threads start out as poo poo and never get better.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

If Greens get Maiwar there's going to be some real salt from QLD LNP and ALP.

There's already a fuckton of salt. Labor hacks are pushing a line on social media that the result is illegitimate because most of the LNP voters would have preferenced Labor over Greens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/936406275167887360

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thatbastardken posted:

Going to bring up the class issue in the state office election debrief, see what happens.

It's a rather big topic given the same sex plebiscite result. It's been put to me, and I don't really have a reply to it, that in Australia no longer do we have any party that appeals to the working class because to be accepting of just "the working class" means to accept not just their financial and social circumstance but also their financial and social views which are largely incompatible with those who seek to represent them. Their response has been to latch onto any outsider party, no matter how long show (Palmer) or even more racist (Hanson), because they take a look at Liberals, Labor and the Greens and they can see that none of them are them.

In one of Waleed Aly's better pieces he wrote about how the current political party system makes no sense in the modern world and if we were to make parties today from scratch politics would have three parties; a right of One Nation members, Australian Conservatives and the most wingnut of Liberal members; a "moderate" centrist party of the less right wing Liberal members, the right wing of the Labor party, Xenophon, independents; and a left of the leftist Labor and Greens. Even in that criteria it's based on political views, not political membership, and I'm not sure where the working class fits.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kafka Syrup posted:

There's already a fuckton of salt. Labor hacks are pushing a line on social media that the result is illegitimate because most of the LNP voters would have preferenced Labor over Greens.

thats not how preferential voting works

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Lid posted:

thats not how preferential voting works

Yep.

They seem to be saying the current voting system is "undemocratic" and are pushing Condorcet voting - except that would have handed South Brisbane and possibly McConnell to the Greens. It's an odd line.

They're also pushing the usual "demographic has changed and now Maiwar isn't working class anymore and is full of rich tory nimbys like all green voters are" even though it's never been working class, has always been a swing seat, and the nimbyism was only really a factor in a handful of areas.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I mean, Maiwar is an amalgamation of the Indro and (most of)Mt Coot-tha electorates, so it's not unsurprising that there's some interesting results. You've basically got a massive young student population living in toowong, st lucia, indooroopilly, etc that are captured by the new boundary and that offsets the nimby upper middle class set.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

I mean, Maiwar is an amalgamation of the Indro and (most of)Mt Coot-tha electorates, so it's not unsurprising that there's some interesting results. You've basically got a massive young student population living in toowong, st lucia, indooroopilly, etc that are captured by the new boundary and that offsets the nimby upper middle class set.

I'm not sure how much of a factor that's been. I know it historically didn't make a difference since most students weren't enrolled to vote in that seat, but the postal survey might have changed that.

most of the young people I spoke to were voting Green anyway so I didn't really get a handle on what issues or initiatives resonated with them. The NIMBYs were (unsurprisingly) really into the planning reform and anti-corruption stuff but were very angry about the public holidays and housing packages we proposed. There was quite a number of young professionals and Gen Xers who were into the childcare, enviro and housing packages.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm not sure how much of a factor that's been. I know it historically didn't make a difference since most students weren't enrolled to vote in that seat, but the postal survey might have changed that.

most of the young people I spoke to were voting Green anyway so I didn't really get a handle on what issues or initiatives resonated with them. The NIMBYs were (unsurprisingly) really into the planning reform and anti-corruption stuff but were very angry about the public holidays and housing packages we proposed. There was quite a number of young professionals and Gen Xers who were into the childcare, enviro and housing packages.

Before, IIRC from having lived in both electorates before, the young student vote was split between the Mt Coot-tha and Indooroopilly electorates. So bringing those together and getting rid of parts of inner north Brisbane might have had a noteworthy impact. Impossible to tell, of course. The marriage survey would probably have been a factor as well, yeah.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We should start a death pool for Malcolm Turnbulls reign as PM. I'm taking 5th February.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah a Corbynesque figure is far more likely to come from Labor than the Greens and I say that after campaigning with the Greens for about a year and a half now.

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's not like the Greens have a very strong following from younger people, who are largely under the average take home pay and honestly just want to have any kind of chance of a career.

Imagine what that would be like, maybe we would be able to get more than half the groups getting literally a single person sitting at a meeting under 40 at a designated young greens SDC and maybe the over-55s wouldn't be literally the single biggest demographic in the Greens membership.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lots of them on the North Coast of NSW then?

I'm assuming those are the ex-nationals whose platforms are "We're the Nats but also Trees" and put Liberal 2.

In conclusion

Krabboss posted:

everybody in australia likes to sniff their own farts, no matter their political persuasions.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senor Tron posted:

We should start a death pool for Malcolm Turnbulls reign as PM. I'm taking 5th February.

That really would be a super bowl day.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Before, IIRC from having lived in both electorates before, the young student vote was split between the Mt Coot-tha and Indooroopilly electorates. So bringing those together and getting rid of parts of inner north Brisbane might have had a noteworthy impact. Impossible to tell, of course. The marriage survey would probably have been a factor as well, yeah.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to debrief, because I don't think we can really point to any one thing that the campaigns did that really swung a lot of votes. A bunch of things - both external and in our control - just lead to an insane swing across SEQ for us.

Senor Tron posted:

also 24 December. merry christmas everybody

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Put me down for January 25th

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

December 26th

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
January 22.

It's closest without going over, right?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

January 22.

It's closest without going over, right?

Good question. I'd go for simple closest but what do others think?

Google Doc where I'll collect guesses: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ypj-aW_tG51LblHUWfaDO9qnM2CIt300u7XbH2inI8U/edit?usp=sharing

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm Jan 24. Just in time for tones to give prince harry a knighthood

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
88th of fuckruary

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Visidan posted:

88th of fuckruary

Please don't alt right on the thread.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

weeks

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
6th of February

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
does it actually say anywhere in the constitution or whatever that we actually need a prime minister, just leave the position empty

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I went outside and it's positively scottish out there

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah some drain overflow dripped right in my och aye

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Touch warm in Perth today

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Drain status : Holding.

I built a levee out of potting mix bags as well

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If Turnbull's not out by the 2nd week of January I doubt they'll have the nerve to knife him later, they want a clear run at the next election. Any later and he gets a pawprint on the Budget and there's no way they could let him take credit for an election budget.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

He could actually survive a while because nobody really wants to boot another PM and nobody really wants to go down with the ship at the next election.

So put me down for the maniac 6 month/next election option.

Of course Bennelong could go to Labor and he could be out before Christmas.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Mid-year for Turnbull for me.

They have no one else desirable to replace him with so it will take them at least that long to get Murdoch to spin up and pimp out a new candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I'll go for early: 20th of December

• Locked thread