Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Change your name to "Max Power," OP. Then everyone will think you're funny like the Simpsons.

I got it from the hair dryer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Honestly OP, you should never reveal your true name to anyone because it gives that person power over you. Always go by an alias whenever possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The easiest 'proper' way to hide your first name is to just abbreviate it and not tell anyone what the abbreviation stands for. Not that I'd know anyone like that

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Almost all my friends call me by my second name. My first name is really really common and it's really easy for people to assume familiarity and shorten it without a drat care which really irks me. I don't hide my first name 100% of the time like you're asking OP, but I am certain that a good number of people who live in my city would only know my second name. Small example, I live in the UK and a friend of mine went on holiday to Poland and he needed to get hold of my phone number. He rang up a number of pubs in my area and asked after me purely using my second name and they knew who my friend was asking after. If he had asked after me for my first name they wouldn't have known who he was asking for.

Introductions are key. Explaining why you go by your second name is immensely important to getting people to use it. Delivering a joke after you introduce yourself about the folly of someone trying to attract your attention by using your first name helps. "If you shout my first name in the middle of the street, five people will turn around and none of them will be me." That kinda thing. I use an association to try and dissuade people shortening my name. So if I wanted people to call me Robert instead of Bob, I'd explain that I'm not a builder or something. If someone shouts my first name in a pub, I'm not going to turn around 95% of the time. Especially if it's shortened. So those who don't use my surname get a higher rate of failure to get my attention so people get the hint.

If someone gives you poo poo about going by your second name, words to effect of, "What kind of name is that?" one might reply, "It was the name of my father/my father gave to me." When you're dealing with drunk morons it can help. And if they push it you can just challenge them to reveal their superior second name and generally people with good surnames won't query yours.

Unless your surname is poo poo of course OP.

If you swim in varied social waters, you can help what you reveal to others by using your first name or your second name, depending on what kind of interaction you want to have. If someone calls me by my first name predominantly, I'm not generally going to be talking to them about drug culture for instance, let alone consume drugs with 'em. Can help keep church and state separate. It can also serve as a weird shibboleth. If I don't remember who someone is and they start calling me by my shortened first name, congratulations, you almost certainly don't know me well enough to accost me for a drink. If someone I don't remember uses my surname, or a shortened version of my surname, I might have a better clue as to who they are and how they know me. There can also be situations where a group knows me entirely by my second name, and then someone who the group doesn't know but I do will use my shortened first name and it will be a clear sign to everyone that the person knows me from different circumstances and could just be some prick.

I won't get mad if someone uses my first name, but it will change I respond to them, and how quickly. It can be helpful if someone is trying to cut through the poo poo and try to tell me something serious if they use my first name.

I would say that keeping your first name a mystery is going to be difficult unless you keep people's at arm's reach and never invite them into your home. People are curious, they will pick up an unopened envelope and find out the truth sooner or later. Good loving luck if people already call you by your first name.

If you do go by your second name, break your rule when introducing yourself to someone's parents. Same applies if you're around someone who goes by their second name around their parents.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Oh yeah also if a wizard asks you your name, don't give them your second name. That just makes scry and die way easier for them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr.Tophat posted:

Oh yeah also if a wizard asks you your name, don't give them your second name. That just makes scry and die way easier for them.

Just don’t ever give a wizard your name is what Ursula K. LeGuin has taught me.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I will literally answer to any named I'm called. Most people call me my last name which is fine because I don't like my first name very much, Dan Danny Daniel.... Not good options. My ex-wife called me Danny in bed which at least has two syllables. I'm having troubles with approaching this subject with a new girl because she will say Dan and ugh that just doesn't work

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

my name is chrundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Just tell them that your last name is your first name, op. How loving difficult is that?

Hi, I’m Johnson. Johnson Herbert. Yeah, they got it backwards on my badge, happens all the time.

• Locked thread