Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

did anyone ever build the 4th Stimpire

Stellaris devs added the Stimsis system back in the day, so kind of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lmao hell of an Easter egg

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Thoatse posted:

Etsy cow show moma!
/

i want to swing this turtle around like an olympic hammer thrower and toss it into a volcano

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mozi posted:

Yeah I mean I backed the original Kickstarter, there are probably a bunch of other folks here who did as well. It's been a long strange ride since then.

Yeah, I got the impression of "Hey, let's make another Wing Commander/Freelancer and see what happens". So I was onboard for that.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Viscous Soda posted:

I'd be willing to bet it'll be a mix of "Crobberts only sin was dreaming to big" combined with "The real goal was showing the other devs that there was demand for space sims" and a dash of "All the sub par space sims poisoned the well for SC!" Oh, and of course he'll learn nothing from his embarrassing decade of spending/cheer-leading SC and just ignore it, moving on to the true Next Great Game that's actually a whale milking machine.

IMO this is the kiss of death for any product.

I can't think of any entertainment product that tried to do the whole "We're not just a <film/game/cartoon/comic/toy line/etc.> we're also going to make a franchise that will contain films, games, cartoons, comics, a toy line, etc. straight out of the gate!" and actually succeeded. Every time I see it proposed, the project fallsc flat on it's face. I think the problem is that whenever it's proposed the creator has already decided that the initial product is going to be a huge success before it's even half finished. Mentally they've moved on to "How to we make the rest of the franchise products work?" leaving the initial product a half baked mess full of bad decisions from it's auteur designer.

Hey now the Hawken anime, and going to the Evolve E-Sports Grand Finals sounded great on paper.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would have watched a Hawken anime, probably. Hawken owned

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
To compare Star Citizen to Star Wars for a moment

In 2012, the Star Citizen Kickstarter happened. 2012 was also when Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars franchise.

Since then, ALL of the Disney Star Wars things have happened. The sequel trilogy, the standalone movies like Rogue One, the series like Mandalorian and Boba Fett and Andor... All of that was made after the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I too miss Hawken :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

I too miss Hawken :(

:( I even bought and enjoyed a Hawken graphic novel

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Biplane posted:

:( I even bought and enjoyed a Hawken graphic novel
There’s a pair of Hawken speed-style card games that I enjoyed, too.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I miss Derek Smart

i cant believe i just typed that. im honestly emotional right now. thank you for your neverending support we couldnt have done it without you thread

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hawken was visually very cool, I still have the client in my Steam library. There was a miniseries or something I think?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

To compare Star Citizen to Star Wars for a moment

In 2012, the Star Citizen Kickstarter happened. 2012 was also when Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars franchise.

Since then, ALL of the Disney Star Wars things have happened. The sequel trilogy, the standalone movies like Rogue One, the series like Mandalorian and Boba Fett and Andor... All of that was made after the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

Yes and you can see how awful a job Disney did by rushing things, a mistake the star citizen team will not make.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

DreadUnknown posted:

Hawken was visually very cool, I still have the client in my Steam library. There was a miniseries or something I think?

I knew it was gonna fail when one of the devs revealed that the main guys hated the Bluescreen skin for the basic mech.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
This aged

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The UEC price hikes were aimed at making the universe feel more realistic. As they always planned.

And I can tell you, whatever they raise to will still not be enough.

You should not be entitled to buy any ship you want, alone, just by "saving up".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Meaningless.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Lol wut

How else would you buy a ship if not by saving up

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HJE-Cobra posted:

Lol wut

Look at this loser who wasn't born rich. :lol:

Saving? SAVING?! hahahahahahaha

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

tried reporting it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HJE-Cobra posted:

Lol wut

I suppose there could be gated access where you have to have completed a certain mission or participated in an event to get the right to buy the ship. Finishing the single-player campaign grants "citizenship" and it's possible some items are not allowed to be sold to non-citizens.

Or real money.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I suppose there could be gated access where you have to have completed a certain mission or participated in an event to get the right to buy the ship. Finishing the single-player campaign grants "citizenship" and it's possible some items are not allowed to be sold to non-citizens.

Or real money.

Considering that I'm pretty sure this is the guy who once said "QOL is a disease in gaming", I think he means you need to graft and work a boring office job in the game 9 - 5 for years and maybe, just maybe, get that promotion.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

it should take an entire team of mixologists years to get the base model freighter

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It reminds me of the quote about world of warcraft, by some insufferable mega grognard, that went something like "casual players don't get emotionally invested in the game; they play for fun" which is one of the all time greats.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or real money.

Reminder they tried this when originally selling many of their space ship jpegs years ago , among other classic smarmy used car sales tactics , and mixed in with tactics by ultra high end cars - your guess is which is which in this list !

- These are only being sold once ! Buy now before it’s too late

- these are special edition military vessels ,
And we simply can’t sell them to civilians …. Unless.

- you must prove your worth with your wallet by buying X amount to qualify for this

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i wish i measured up to being a citizen

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or real money.

They had a ship like that, but then they added it to the shop later anyway.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What if we could lend processing power to the verse posted:

With server meshing starting to become a thing I had a wild thought recently.

Imagine if we could spool-up small servers on our machines to help process off-screen NPCs behaviours (or other) around the verse while we’re not playing. A little bit like project SETI@home used to do in the past. The technology is not the same but the concept could be interesting.

Security concerns aside (I’m not sure this could be done without any risk of hacking), would you be willing to lend your processing power to CIG while AFK ? And do you think it would be technically doable ? With fiber connections starting to become more popular I’m wondering if latency would be an issue.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

simpizens

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't think distributed computing works like that.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sure, let's decentralize the calculations and add huge amounts of latency in every direction.

Why not offer the game client as P2P download only???

That way CIG can save bandwidth!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sure, let's decentralize the calculations and add huge amounts of latency in every direction.

Why not offer the game client as P2P download only???

That way CIG can save bandwidth!

Decentralised calculations for off screen NPC activity. Finally someone is going to put Alan the Bartender from Planet Bumhole onto the block chain as a smart contract

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I WANNA HOST ALAN THIS WEEK CMDR. DADFACE MCGRAMPY HOSTED ALAN LAST WEEK

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Maybe we could tokenize our contributions to keeping Star Citizen running with our machines! Then maybe we could take those tokens and sell them for real money... hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

shitcoin here we come