Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Attention Recruits,

What you are about to read is the latest information on the continuing development of Squadron 42 (SCI des: SQ42).

quote:

Throughout April, AI Content focused on completing the first pass of the security, tourist, and tour guide behaviors, polishing animations from recent mocap sessions and adjusting the related behaviors.

They also implemented the first version of the landing officer, one of the deck crew that will be used in hangars, landing zones, and capital ships. The landing officer gives players clear directions on how to position their ships in relation to the pad for perfect decents.

Work also continued on the hygiene behavior, with the team completing setups for the toilet and shower cubicles and their relative blockout animations. For sleep behaviors, new animations for beds were set up to support physicalized sheets, and the process of standardizing the proper usage of bed shutters began.

They also progressed with the ongoing goal of propagating vendor behaviors to as many shops as possible. They’re currently designing and blocking out the different elements that will make up the various locations (coffee shops, differing food stalls, etc.) and are enabling the available kiosks to use the hawker behavior too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Can't tell if parody or not

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Poe, the original star citizen backer

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Elite: Dangerous actually exists and thus can never compare to the fictions that croberts fanatics have built up in their heads.

E:D is a great game when I’ve taken an addy and need something to singularly focus on for the next 5 hours. Otherwise it’s a boring fetch quest game that looks really, really pretty.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Star sector is amazing and absolutely worth the price of admission.

A goon does some work on the game as well.

ah nice so there will definitely be some kind of sex pervert revelation about the devs soon

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think it's mostly one dev, which is why it has been in the works for about a decade.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, he has to take time off from development to molest himself.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

feelix posted:

ah nice so there will definitely be some kind of sex pervert revelation about the devs soon

'Death of the author' still counts when it's autoerotic asphyxiation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Edit: wrong thread

Atopian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2021

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sorry CiG posted:

I've been kind of a D bag in the past since the last 5 patches have been brutal and I've stayed away. The last 2 days of playing this game have been some of the best gaming I've had in my life, and I've been playing PC games since 1988, Leisure Suit Larry being the very first as we stole my friends dads game from his dresser.

Anyway I'd like to thank you for this last patch. Not only is it very stable, but you fixed so many bugs over these last 5 patches that I was shocked coming back to it. So many things are working that I've spent the last 2 days addicted to trying everything. I'm truly blown away at the progress you've made in such a short time after years of bug swarms. Most responsive bug hunters in any game I've ever played in my life over the last 6 months.

Amazing work and sorry for losing faith

Sincerely Russell

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

Further down the Road, it will be fundamental to raise our awareness of the surroundings of our whereabouts and, we will ONLY be able to do it by accessing, for example, while our Ship is "en Route" during those Lengthy Travel Times, the Local News Networks, or the Law Enforcement Databases, or to check Warehouses fluctuations since Data takes time to travel and, thus, by the time we get to a given Area, the economical conditions of that Region of Space may have been changed, perhaps even greatly...

Not to mention, that Repairs will nowhere be what we have now.... it will NOT be possible to fully repair the vital components of our Ships which, because of Wear & Tear, WILL mulfunction and fail even while "en Route".....

Sure, careful Pilots will do a thorough check-up of their Ship before taking off BUT, since there will be a whole lot of different Regions of Space which we'll need to fly across, even though our Ship was in good conditions when we took off, along the way, and more likely if we had to cross Regions of Space where we found adverse and dangerous Environmental conditions, the Wear & Tear of our Ship may have increased enormousily, to the point that, some of our Ship's components may fail and break down WHILE we are flying to our Target... and this, especially if the age of our components is significant.... the older the components and the longer (and in a more stressing way) they have been used on our Ships, the more they will be likely to break down, unexpectedly...

Repairs, to my understanding, will NOT repair 100% functionality.... as the age of components will increase, Wear & Tear and breakages WILL become more likely...

Therefore, there is no doubt that we will HAVE TO be pressed, while on those Lengthy Travels towards our Target, whichever it might be, to repair, maintain and look after the components of our Ships.

This is the early stage for the Development of Star Citizen, there is a WHOLE LOT more intended to come.

Can I just say that this is some committed pirate RP.

While those Gentlemen did seek out victuals for their Journey in the saloon at the dockside, little did they know of the infamous Characters who had slunk aboard their Vessel, with Lust on their Myndes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

But what did you doooooooooo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

sincerely russell

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I would never attach my real name to anything Star Citizen related.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

listen if its good enough for luke skywalker its good enough for pennywise

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sincerely Jehoshaphat (Jumping Level 22)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it blows my mind that somewhere theres a large group of people working with captures from gary oldman and mark hammill for thjis game that wont come out?

wtf is croberts actually gonna do w all his sick poo poo

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

.random
May 7, 2007

And the contract says we can use their likeness and motion capture for... anything we want?

Oh. No reason.. no reason at all...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

it blows my mind that somewhere theres a large group of people working with captures from gary oldman and mark hammill for thjis game that wont come out?

wtf is croberts actually gonna do w all his sick poo poo

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

make new trailers

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391384516594389002
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391543832769187843

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Whenever people talk about alternatives I have to bring up Everspace 2 which should be coming out in a full release sometime relatively soon. It has excellent space ship combat, an okay story and nothing that I don't want or need. I just want to shoot things in space and have space battles and it does it for me

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Maybe the plan is to wait for Derek Smart to die of old age before releasing the game?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Tnuctip posted:

Maybe the plan is to wait for Derek Smart to die of old age before releasing the game?

CRoberts attends the funeral and announces that SC is fully live as his eulogy

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Play posted:

Whenever people talk about alternatives I have to bring up Everspace 2 which should be coming out in a full release sometime relatively soon. It has excellent space ship combat, an okay story and nothing that I don't want or need. I just want to shoot things in space and have space battles and it does it for me

How's the trolley physics and vending machine options?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

How's the trolley physics and vending machine options?

Nonexistent, as it should be

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Play posted:

Nonexistent

Hard pass.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Javelin tour guide NPCs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5HuFCLWx4

I muted the sound effect track, not to remove the ambience, which is actually quite cool, but to get rid of the pitter patter of tiny player feet in heavy combat boots.

There's not much more I can do about the lighting. CIG went through all the trouble to make IMO the most believable NPCs in video game history and then stuck them in the most unlit corners of the ship. Hope they can fix that before it hits live.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mirificus posted:

(Javelin Guide)
That's legit interesting, but again, WHYYYYYY is that something they're doing before the game is actually "a game?"

This whole operation feels like when I have a big project to do and I get all the silly busywork out of the way first to procrastinate.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JazzFlight posted:

That's legit interesting, but again, WHYYYYYY is that something they're doing before the game is actually "a game?"

This whole operation feels like when I have a big project to do and I get all the silly busywork out of the way first to procrastinate.

Hit the nail on the head there buddy.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When's the release date?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

No. 6 posted:

When's the release date?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

By the time Star Citizen is released, approximately three thousand year from now, time travel will be commonplace so they will simply travel back to 2014 to do the release. It's like you people know nothing about Star Citizen except that you want to poo poo on it, it's just sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yes all those sterile enviroments, objects floating above the surface they're placed on, the blank looks on all the characters really make me think this is a true ascendant work of art. But then there's a trolley you can push, so maybe I'm wrong.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

What we need is a Restaurant ship posted:

All this talk about kitchens made me realize that we have a huge gap in the ship line up for dedicated Food trucks and flying food establishments. The Privateer was touted as a Truck stop, yet lacks a proper Diner or Food court.

I say at the very least we need a proper large sized food service ship with seating up to around 40, room for a fully staffed kitchen, and a proper Chef profession game play. It wouldn't even need to be very fast.

Of course its gonna need weapons to protect itself. Milspec to make it competitive against other capships that might attack it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hopefully they also add a dishwasher profession to work on the food ship. Half the work is already done with those trolleys really. Just need someone to work on the dish physics now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ah yes, I remember back in the Kickstarter they promised if they hit $3m to add Cook, Serve, Delicious! functionality

Play
Apr 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yes all those sterile enviroments, objects floating above the surface they're placed on, the blank looks on all the characters really make me think this is a true ascendant work of art. But then there's a trolley you can push, so maybe I'm wrong.

You can't actually push the trolleys anywhere useful, only on completely flat surfaces afaict. Elevators? Nope. Ships? Nope.

I'm sure they'll spend a thousand man hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to fix that though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You can't even safely push a cart and you're asking for this????!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Play posted:

You can't actually push the trolleys anywhere useful, only on completely flat surfaces afaict. Elevators? Nope. Ships? Nope.

I'm sure they'll spend a thousand man hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to fix that though

I really want to know why they presented it as some kind of major achievement. Maybe to appeal to the people who want to have SC be as full of mundane activities as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

quote:

Of course its gonna need weapons to protect itself. Milspec to make it competitive against other capships that might attack it.

I was looking into opening my own subway franchise, but the cost of owning and operating a fleet of predator drones to defend my establishment from thieves was prohibitive.