Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caesar Saladin posted:

its so weird that these people seem to accepting the fact that they will never get to play with half of the ships because they won't pay for them in real life. Like, they just shrug their shoulders and never get to experience most of the content in the game, and are tricked into purchasing just one ship and feeling ownership over it. Just like shrugging "Ahh well I'll never get to play with the super mega ship, I'm just not elite enough." A normal game would let you use all of the ships, they have forgotten this.

Remember when the ships were just to get funding to release the game and not a business in and of themselves? lol

Funny thing is as much as EA wanted SC you think they'd been all the gently caress over making their own space sim, and they'd beat SC to the punch, too. Then people could be spending money on packs of cards with ships on them instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RobotDogPolice posted:

I love the theory crafting posts where players imagine what the game will be like while insisting that their fan fiction is real. It's some real cult poo poo.

We had a guy in my gaming group get really mad because of all of us didn't want to play the crappy tech demo even though we had planned on eventually playing the game officially on release.

"How are we ever going to get good at it?!? Everyone will be so far ahead of us if we don't play now!"

We all basically just said noooope. This was 2 years ago.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fishy Joe posted:

Does this game got wizards

Yes, his name is Roberts and he can make your money disappear!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

thats richard garriot you bitch. do not flame him. he is under my protection

Richard Garriot earned my eternal defense for his insane castle homes and parties.

My favorite one was he had a titanic party, taking everyone out on a nice boat in the lake. He then proceeded to sink said boat without warning any of the guests.

Classic Garriot. If there's a rich crazy motherfucker who deserved to go into space, it's him.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 1, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Manic Technophile posted:

Don't forget Ultima Underworld 1 and 2

Every Ultima is a classic in it's own way. The proper series starts at 4.. and to be honest, ends at Serpent's Isle.

8 is the result of EA fucker and 9 is the result of EA always having been lovely and terrible. Seriously the reason 8 & 9 blew chunks is they ripped Origin apart and made it into a short term cash milker of Ultima On-Line.

In memory of this wonderful gaming company they named their lovely service after them, now. It's like digging up a corpse you murdered as your new logo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

This guy is ready for some Star Citizen.

PREPARE TO HACK CYBERSPAAAAAACE

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah. A good example is the mining.

You can say that Star Citizen mining is impossible. There are tons of examples of space mining in games and it is possible for Star Citizen to have some kind of mining. However, people have bought millions of dollars of mining and refinery ships on the promise of being able to go out and tunnel into planets and asteroids like 4k Minecraft. Manually holding and manipulating each piece of rock they decide to shave off and refining them into their constituent pieces.

What would realistically be driving up to an asteroid and activating a mining laser then getting cargo has been promised as a perfect simulation of what mining in space would actually be like. Down to the oxygen and blood flow in your character's body.

Then if you want to argue that they could actually come close to simulating their promises on that you have to realize that every aspect of the game has been promised to that detail. This is the world's most perfect simulation that simulates everything involved down to that detail.

The performance of your ship changes dynamically based on where it is damaged
You are going to have to manually repair the internal components of your ship that react to outside forces
Engines, Computers and ship modules are all simulated down to their individual components
The weapons your ships fire are simulated down to the loading of each individual bullet

Cargo is simulated down to each individual piece of cargo

What pisses me off is it's not that impossible to make a game that blends walking around on a space ship with space, if you're willing to use tricks. You don't need every character to be in the exact same position on a ship 500,000km away. You don't need to track every piece of cargo. If you want to get detailed GTA does a pretty good job, like if you have cargo in your bay it just adds a model for the cargo type, it's just a graphical effect but it's neat and not hard. But no, they have to treat every box as it's own entity...

The lengths they want to go to stupid simulation stuff for the sake of simulation stuff kills this project. To do a really fun bridge commander game where you run around on a Crysis space ship manning stations and playing a fun space game outside could almost be done by an indie team for SC's original budget and it's all we loving want, really. At least those of us that are sane and not looking for the above example.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DogonCrook posted:

The only thing chris roberts is capable of producing is excuses. The man has literally no integrity. And just lol that hes gonna drag his productive brother down with him.

His brother made Privateer 2.

Never forget.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What really frustrates me is if you gave me like 30 million dollars I could probably produce a game that does everything people ACTUALLY give a poo poo about and it'd been both awesome and work well:

- Good Space Flight & Combat
- The ability to walk around on a ship
- The ability to man consoles on a ship
- The ability to land a ship on another ship
- The ability to land at trade outposts

Who cares if everything is 100% perfectly generated. Who gives a gently caress if there's a cutscene when you land. Who gives a poo poo if, say, a Torpedo hitting your Cargo Bay and sucks your players and NPCs into space is ACTUALLY calculating 100% properly, or just a scripted event in the vein of an FPS game event that just happens to be linked to the space game damage?

You could literally just model some cool ship interiors, stick some cameras in the windows to the space game, then just mostly make a space game and everyone'd been loving stoked. Stop trying to model entire loving planets and just give us a cool trade port with a nice skybox. I don't need to go Goddamn EVERYWHERE. I don't need every single object to exist. The loving game is what matters.

It's just angering because it's not a hard game to make, to do everything that people want, it's just that they want to keep doing poo poo NOBODY wants except loving lunatics.

ED: Seriously just design the interior like it's a shooter level. "Damage = X" makes it shake or things spark. Looks good, immersive, and doesn't take fifty billion fuckin' years

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

He's genuinely a worse film maker than Wiseau, and probably not smarter either.

Wing Commander is kind of amazing because not only does it suck, it shits on the universe the director created

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I played a game a long time ago (maybe early 2000's) called WWII Online. I was younger then but I remember driving a tank, completely by myself so I had to man all stations, for about an hour real-time to a bridge.

An enemy tank showed up on the other side of the bridge and I was dead within a minute. It was awesome.

Then I got sick of doing that after maybe.... the first loving time and stopped playing.

I came back just a few years ago to try it out. I would fly air cover for a little while since no one in that game apparently has ever played a flight sim. And again, same results. loving boring... quit.

That really is or at least was a weird game.

ArmA's grandfather Operation Flashpoint was the perfect balance with realism and insanity. It was glitchy as gently caress and had some oddities, but it was amazing.

Not only that every enemy in the entire game world has to come from somewhere. There's no spawning back in ArmA. One of my favorite moments in the entire game was playing a mission that was supposed to be:

- Wait for the convoy you need to destroy
- Hit it with mines
- Assault it and capture some specific truck and make sure they don't get to their destination

My friends and I played that mission (along with the town defense mission which frequently had moments straight out of Saving Private Ryan) so many ways, one time we just immediately hiked to town, grabbed a civilian car and headed for a military base on the map. THis is where I get to my favorite moment that, honestly, even by today's standards is mind blowing: When we got there, the helicopters that assault you during the ambush.. were still in the military base. All the pilots were milling around a barracks room, awaiting a trigger to spring into action.

One of us snuck in and murdered the pilots with a silencer while the rest of the team snuck in and jacked helicopters out from under the guards nose, and promptly took the helicopters out to destroy the convoy who was almost there.

I think the thing that modern sandboxes gently caress up is they just spawn enemies all the time and don't really worry about long-term effects like that. Flashpoint's "everything exists and comes from somewhere" had some of the most compelling sandbox gameplay I've ever seen. Like I think I have more awesome multiplayer memories of that game and hundreds of cool things like this. You could NEVER sneak in and blow away the pilots in modern sandbox games while they're just standing around the barracks because they'd just spawn in next to you.

PS: I wish more games had the balls to model leg and spinal damage. Nothing was more atmospheric than taking a shot in the legs and CRAWLING to a truck on a battlefield, climbing in and getting a slumped-over-the-steering-wheel view and then try to drive while blood fills your eyes. My favorite was when a covered truck got raked with gunfire, and most of the players I was with died, then I climb out of the truck and hit the ground with a CRUNCH and start dragging myself away from the burning wreck.. even the latest ArmA's don't capture that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They're making fun of your space game.

This statement is a complete lie.

There's no game to make fun of yet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sucrose posted:

Also I have never backed Star Citizen, but I've been following this trainwreck for the past couple months just for the entertainment value.

I paid $60 for a starter ship and $5 for an outfit when the game first got announced. Never spent a dime sense, but front row seats to the train wreck were worth every penny.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

feelix posted:

low tax is really bad at running this web sight he gave derek smart mod power and also encourages people to talk about alt-right stuff and doesn't understand that it's poop that shouldn't be touched

Rolling in poop is the only way to understand truly understand poop.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that blows my mind about Star Citizen is that if they had cut some reasonable corners I think it'd be out already. The CONCEPT of it is well within the realm of possibility, far easier than creating a GTA style juggernaut.

But no. They HAVE to let you see people in ships from outside of ships, so you can't instance the ships as individual peer to peer servers, which means every single character in space has to be tracked. Their individual-location segmentation wouldn't be too bad to help reduce that some but it's loving hard to pull off the way they want to pull it off (though solid in theory) and ultimately won't do poo poo if you have a ship with like 5 people in the cockpit in a space fight.

This strikes me as those early days of 3D wash-out projects where people just decide to ignore technical feasibility for perfection, rather than cutting a few corners and getting on with the loving game. I doubt many people remember American McGee's first post-iD 3D project that failed because the artists refused to accept anything less than like 500,000 polygons in 1998 but the thinking here has seemed similar to me for a while.

So many of the stupid little gimmicky features could be easily added if they used instancing since they'd have a lot more focus on the game. I swear to God this one thing is probably hurting their development more than all their stupid bullshit combined and as far as I can tell, will always well and truly make any multiplayer server max out at like 32 - 64 people TOPS. You might pull it off graphically for single player as it is now, but it's just not loving feasible for multiplayer.

ED: If they did this their lovely alpha would probably be up to more like 128 players ships per server right now.

Would anyone have really lost their poo poo if there was a 'getting in the ship' animation then you popped in the ship? Was this worth like 4 years of delays? It doesn't even preclude location damage like they want if you treat the interiors like a shooter level.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 22, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elderbean posted:

I just want a good Diablo with guns god damnit. It's basically a Skinner Box and devs still manage to gently caress it up.

Reboot Origin's Crusader games.

RIP Origin Systems

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Has Gearbox ever made a good game? Between Borderlands, Duke Nukem Forever, Battleborn and Colonial Marines, I have a hard time thinking of a big studio with a worse record.

Borderlands is it. Even their Half-Life expansion was meh that got them started.

Are you guys familiar with the Alien AI bug? That poo poo is hilarious and Gearbox still hasn't patched or acknowledge it:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/aliens-colonial-marines-collection/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-bug-fix
^^ You change one typo in your file and then the aliens can 'see' the level and run on the walls/ceilings like at E3 and stop spazzing out and doing the "Hello my baby" dance. So hilariously that wasn't part of a pulled feature after all but literally a game bug.

The Protagonist posted:

It has a barnacle grappling hook, a mechanical beetle shock rifle, a weird little alien cyclops that poo poo organic rockets and a bfg with a secondary fire that let you play optional bonus levels

You're dead inside

You know, OK. It wasn't too bad, I forgot the shock rifle came from that. But still it was only a couple of hours long.

God there was some really, really good Half-Life 1 level mods though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue On Blue posted:

those stupid loving ships with the giant blade on the side

It kinda, sorta made sense with the Kilrathi in Wing Commander but it is so transparent when they rehash Kilrathi designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

I could understand blowing money on drugs, alcohol, or hookers, as there is an actual feedback physical gratification to those things. Hell, even gambling jacks some of your levels (adrenaline) due to the excitement, the lights, and sounds, but buying ships that you might eventually be able to use in some far-off future? It's like going into debt because you're pre-ordering heroin that "MIGHT" be delivered to you some day.

I wonder if it'd be illegal to tell people about a new SUPERDRUG that's the best drug ever made, and only sell a $2,000 for a picture of a plastic bag with some powder in it with delivery promised sometime in the next six months (repeat for 5 years)

mods changed my name posted:

I'm all sorts of hosed up but I can't even begin to imagine what level of social alienation it takes to advocate for rape mechanics in your favorite games

Remember when that one person freaked the gently caress out because of that GTA Online cheat that locks you in a sex animation with another character? That was kinda hilarious.

ED: Also getting repeatedly hosed to death by Santa Clause resulted in one of my favorite screenshots from that game

loving modders

Though part of me wants to try to get it in a museum as some statement on Holiday capitalism

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 30, 2018