Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Bold Robot posted:

It's gotta be bullshit or at least some very creative accounting. I find it real hard to believe that every month in 2020 was better than the corresponding month in 2019 (except for October), given that 1) it's 2020 and 2) progress on the game has not exactly been impressive.

In recessions people start buying more of cheaper things. Like they buy a car instead of a house. A TV instead of a car. I can see people buying more video games instead of literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Bad Purchase posted:

There's a bowtie guy where I work who looks fresh out of college. I don't know him, but I sense "young republican" vibes every time I see him :negative:

Could just be a Dr Who fan.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

InternetJunky posted:

I just love to think about the meeting where the devs are trying to decide what features to put into their space MMO game next and somehow "put cargo trolleys into the game" made it in there before "made ship to ship combat a thing" or any of the other million things that would make this a fun game.

This is like the first episode of Mythic Quest, where this egomaniacal MMO producer has decided that the next great update to his game will be... a shovel.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Internetjack posted:

What games feature "crapping in a toilet" as a game dynamic? Given "the internet" and "video games" I'm sure there are a few, but it doesn't seem like players really expound on such a great game playing option. How are the wiping and bidet options going to be settled?

South Park. If you get 3 stars on every toilet you get an achievement.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m surprised they haven’t sold space stations yet. Let people own a space truck stop or space hotel.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

quote:

Case in point: don't wear a backpack if you have a ship with a ramp. Much of the time, having a backpack on while traversing a ramp will blow the ship up.

I’ve never wanted a postmortem on anything as much as I want one on this bug.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

BalloonFish posted:

Apparently it can happen when entering the cockpit of certain single-seater ship's wearing backpacks or armor too - it's supposedly the physics of the object clashing with the physics of the ship or the animation of the ramp/seat. The continuous tiny 'collisions' between your armor and your seat chip away at the ship's HP until BOOM!

Are there any video game programmers in this thread? Is this a normal type of bug in an alpha?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I kinda hope Starcitizen succeeds, and becomes this wildly high-fidelity game, but still has these bafflingly broken features. Covert operators who disguise themselves as simple slaves, are taken into a ship, then don a backpack. Entire orgs devoted to hacking the docking stations to trick citizens into landing their ship near a ramp.

That would be a great game.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Mirificus posted:

The female elephant was laughing so hard she was shaking and had to lean against a tree, big coconuts began to fall on her head and she cried out in pain - whereupon the mouse yelled "Yeah! Suffer baby... Suffer!"

I don’t know why this is bothering me, but this is an old joke and they screwed up the punchline.

The last line should be, ‘A coconut fell on the elephant’s head and she said, “ouch,” and the mouse said, “yeah, take it all bitch.”’

Is it a great joke? No. But with the right punchline it at least makes sense.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When you break down their original vision, it was kinda just doing what everyone else had done but a little bit better. You take a single server like in Eve Online, but add PvE. You have a FPS engine, but in an MMO and a little bit higher fidelity. You have the Radiant AI from Skyrim, but more complicated. Player driven economies. Autogenerated worlds. Etc. Etc.

On the surface it all seems pretty reasonable. Why couldn’t it all work? All you need is a visionary to make it happen. Like Elizabeth Holmes.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Reading this last page has whet my appetite for a game that’s just Minecraft In Space. I don’t want a physics engine that even resembles “realistic,” I just want endlessly creative weirdness.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Every time Chris Roberts slaps the phrase “procedurally generated” in front of something he gets another ten million dollars in preorders.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Dementropy posted:

The highway there is all ramps. Everyone will die in-game trying to get anywhere.

I think this is a Judge Dredd story.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The use of W to move forward is not realistic. It should be L for left foot and R for right foot. This one change will enable procedurally generated hopscotch competitions.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I employ the hottest dancers from across the 'verse and tout the highest pay of any madam (1million aUEC per hour). Now some people hear this and they think it's a joke but it's a legitimate in-game business that is the core of any proper party and is the life blood of any self respecting crew

Is this actually possible in this game?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Man this game make me question my reading comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The weirdest aspect of thac0 is that whenever anyone expresses confusion about it, literally anywhere on these forums, people come out the woodwork to explain it.