Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want to know what a future spaceship interior would look like, just look at submarines and airplanes and it'll be one of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
not buying until i have assurances that i can move the seat backwards to accommodate my massive girth

being able to sit close to the steering wheel breaks my immersion

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

this guy definitely seems like the sort of person to look at star citizen and think it's automatically the best because it got the most money

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
instagib is a fun mutator

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what do you mean you expect to be paid in "money" instead of spaceship pictures? NEXT!

wow it's hard to get good people to fill our job openings

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Burns posted:

Whenever the day comes and this whole thing goes tits up what do you all think Chris' exit strategy will be? And i mean realistically.

Just a little bit more blow than he's already doing on a daily basis.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
unless there's a sudden increase in life expectancy, so will the suckers who've paid money for it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"I sure am glad that there's absolutely nothing going on, so that literally the only thing I can do is practice flying in formation with some dumbass who's way too chatty on comms"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you haven't actually been doing anything, but people are starting to ask questions, you need to put some time and thinking into what you're going to claim to have been working on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That sounds like exactly the same pitch as for Bethesda npcs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
STARCITIZEN: I hope that this ‘game’ is never truly completed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Atopian posted:

The existence of E:D might be what finally kills Star Citizen.

If it continues for a few more years, they will have covered all of the core gameplay that Star Citizen is aiming for, and... then what?

Elite: Dangerous actually exists and thus can never compare to the fictions that croberts fanatics have built up in their heads.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

lobsterminator posted:

But even EVE does all kinds of wonkiness to make it work. Like the time slowing functionality. It's an interesting way to get around the problem of huge server loads, but it could not be done in an FPS game.

There's a reason why MMOs tend to have somewhat simplified mechanics like the usual "click button and wait cooldown" in WoW style games or the more abstract strategy game of EVE.

SC tries to be a Battlefield game in MMO scale.

EVE only does that when everyone needs to be on one server because they're all in the same big fight, the mechanics of being invisibly transferred to the right servers as you fly around the galaxy mostly just work reliably and invisibly.

(Except when they don't, and then a bunch of people who were trying to get into a fight largely don't get to where the fight is happening, allowing the other side to easily mop up the few that succeed in getting in.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DoomLazer posted:

I still don't understand how lifetime insurance is supposed to fit into the "fidelity" they keep talking about. In the year 3232, are there ins. companies that will replace your space yacht for free every time it's destroyed for a one-time flat fee? Does the claim take six months to process and require being on the space phone for 3 hours or will they replace the ship instantly 6 times a day if need be?

There was a time when they were talking up SC as a big group PvP player driven economy thing like EVE. People pointed out that having your space chariot constantly replaced for free would make the player driven economy a bit pointless.

Crobert's solution was that yes, lifetime insurance on the big ships would in fact take like six months to actually give you a replacement ship.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You roll the dice, add your opponent's armour class, and you have to meet or exceed your own THAC0. For both those numbers, lower is better.

3rd edition changed it so that you roll the dice, add your own attack modifier, and have to beat your opponent's armour class. So in that version, higher is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The entire movie was creatively bankrupt, I'm pretty sure that scene was cut-for-cut ripped off from some world war 2 aircraft carrier film.