Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

People give me weird looks when I say I actually thoroughly enjoyed Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's campaign.

How can you monsters not love Ethan? HOW?!

I liked it, though I felt like the last 2-3 missions went too far towards boilerplate heroic sacrifice territory. It was quite a good campaign overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

If someone found some commercials that Sandi starred in (it's very likely she has), nobody would be spamming her Twitter with them.

Pretty sure the SC thread already found at least one commercial that she was in and nothing really came of it other than a few laughs and maybe a question or two about what credentials she had according to the commercial.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

I wonder if you can hijack the models of the (existing)SC ships and put them in space engine, or some other such simulator?

The engines may not be able to handle those models

Baxta posted:

Ugh Unity is going to poo poo itself

Update: Yep its making GBS threads itself.

Update:

:sad:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

AdzAdama is probably the best thing to come out of star citizen.

I can never quite decide on whether AdzAdama should be given therapy or his own personal exhibit hall for a month in the Louvre, or both.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The CGA era light magenta text really makes that picture.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

I've got some bad news for you about when this thing began.

Star Citizen - the scam that transcends election cycles and nations.
What are the odds of Star Citizen releasing before the crisis in Venezuela is resolved?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

It's gonna be the reveal of a new spaceship for sale

They are doing another one?!? :aaa:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bronze Fonz posted:

I don't know if Evochron has been mentioned in this tttthread yet, but it just blows my mind to compare the 2.

SC has been in development for 55 million years with a gazigatrillioturd dollars budget.
Look at the Evochron Mercenary release from 2010, where pretty much every single basic function that CR/SC has promised for almost a decade now is a fundamental, basic, working gameplay mechanic.

Flying manually through the endless universe with a poo poo-ton of stars/systems/planets/moons/giant-space-things up to a planet/moon's atmosphere, going through the clouds and landing on the surface? Check.
Deploying and going first-person in your Mecha Miner/Mechwarrior? Check.
Intergalactic trade with constantly evolving economies/routes/etc? Check.
Intense, risky but rewarding dogfights with enemy traders/pirates/whatever? Check.
Rewarding explorations of random asteroids, shipwrecks, whatever as well as missions and quests? Check.

There's a hell of a lot more to it, but my point is this game series has been essentially a one-man project, implementing all SC should be and striking just the right balance between complexity (or F1deL1tY) and accessibility, the guy making such games since the 80's and having perfected it to the point where you have mastered the core mechanics (and keyboard shortcuts) in less than 30 minutes but the game still manages to surprise you 2 weeks on.
If the dated graphics are putting you off, Evochron Legacy might be more your thing, with updated/upgraded/expanded everything. You can even mod it up several ways including to more modern graphical standards.

I guess my point is, the backers are loving morons and Chris Roberts should be in jail. And praise whoever is behind Evochron.

Disclaimer: I'm not the guy behind Evochron.

Evochron also allows the atmosphere of a planet to destroy your ship if you accidentally do a jump at an angle too close to said planet. From my limited experience, it's good.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bronze Fonz posted:

You just have to not fly into the atmosphere beyond a certain speed like 1400 (I forget the exact number) and you won't burn up.

Yeah. I just happened to angle an in-system jump too close to the planet, so I was going waaay past the safe speed when skimming the atmo. :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is truly horrifying!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Tanks so big you can walk into them from behind because anything else was... Uh...

What was the justification?

Collecting money from people with questionable judgment?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Communist Walrus posted:

The future of warfare is a tank with a veranda and an herb garden

Good for commuting, I guess. If the traffic slows down too much, you either force your way through with the tank, go enjoy some light gardening or do a quick bbq on your veranda.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

What is the tactical purpose of a tank when you can drop bombs from orbit with a spaceship? tanks aren't even that useful in modern warfare today

If this had ever become an actual game, I suppose you could have dropped the tank from low orbit onto someone's base and seen if it worked well as a projectile :shrug:
Since the likelyhood of that happening, however, drops slightly every time Chris Roberts opens his mouth, I think the discussion is largely academic at this point.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

no new stupid gimmick ideas will be forthcoming until they start running out of money again.

though if they actually manage to get the 1st part of squadron 42 out this year the fireworks will be amazing. there aren't a lot of big games coming in 2019, so the press might actually have the time to look at it and say "what the gently caress, 7 years and 200 million dollars for this?"

The Squadron 42 beta is "planned" for 2020, I believe, and I would not expect them to ever be early with anything.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Like they can’t even get the roadmap for sq42 working right... yes they hosed up something so they couldn’t publish it this week lol.

:lol:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

*Scanners detect incoming Space Vikings, red alert!*
Isn't that basically what goons are to the remaining SC backers?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Stellaris also has a 3D-ish galaxy map. It can be confusing sometimes when the camera angle ends up with two systems overlapping, but it's usually fine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

I wonder what the total number of companies is where the CEO used to have a restraining order on the head of marketing.

Technically, I think it was the CEO's former common-law wife who had the restraining order against the head of marketing, which is somehow even more :psyduck:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Easily one of the more disturbing Youtube videos I have seen lately :stonk:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lodin posted:

My cousin asked me on Facebook if I'd heard about Star Citizen (he only plays games on PS4 but is getting a proper PC soon). He'd just found about about it and was intrigued but skeptical. I already sent him the Forbes article but does anyone have a hilarious youtube of the game that can really hammer the point home?

There are the Major Tom videos, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvyHZgOMdE

There's also a Beet Wagon video showing just how stupidly long traveling between planets is by design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYHY5D2ZAU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

After crashing to desktop five times, I was able to get in last night.

1. first time, I stepped out of my room and into a blank space void where I floated around until I touched some random thing and died.
2. next attempt, i was able to spawn and walk around. The chat was full of people trying to figure out what to do.
3. I requested my ship, but it refused to spawn even after giving me a location to pick it up.
4. after a few more attempts, I was able to locate my ship and board it.
5. the ship model clipped halfway into the flight deck, and I was treated to a bunch of sparks and xray views of the space station until my ship finally blew up.

The true Star Citizen experience, to be sure.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

People who've already spent several hundred dollars on a jpg hoverbike, and want to also spend even more money on a different bike.

Like, these are people who just want to have the game 100%'ed at launch and never actually play it. I wonder if they'll desperation-offer that once the bottom starts falling out. Like, just launch the game, get all achievements immediately. Fifty grand.

With a separate shell company offering financing of such a feature, perhaps? :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Then in a year, they'll release a bike thats half-hover half-wheeled, and will cost about $300

They should probably introduce trikes, too, for the backers who have not played a game since Dune 2.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

He wrote it in a command prompt so he couldn't use the "enter" key.

Yet another backer who thinks Chris Roberts is relevant, because they haven't played a game since the early 90s and are still using their old 80486 and MS-DOS :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah, the load-gun-into-rifle maneuver.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Been following this thread for while but I still don't understand, is Star Citizen even a game? Or is it just Second Life but instead of buying land for real money you have to buy every item in the game for massive amounts of real money? Like can you even grind points to buy stuff? Also Lol at those torpedoes, wtf.

In theory you can buy some ships with in-game funds. In practice, however, the money you make from activities is too low, they wipe everything (except for things paid for with real money) every few months and I think the in-game ship store was sort of broken right now.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Whoever at Amazon is responsible for tracking and working with upcoming Lumberyard releases must have been sawing a lot of logs these past few years. :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wow, I had forgotten that this existed.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I love how it ends with Chris writing SCAM in the background.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

Activision Blizzard has its headquarters in holland or some other tax haven, and they pay very close to 0 dollars in taxes despite bringing in several billion dollars quarterly. You personally are likely paying more in taxes than Activision is.

Activision Blizzard is headquartered in California, though? They also paid something like $878 million in income taxes in 2017 from what I can see in their own financial statements. ($140 million in 2016 and $229 million in 2015).
They do own King, which was founded in Sweden but later moved to Malta (probably for tax related reasons).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

Really? I’ve read otherwise, but I may have been misinformed.

There is an entity called "Activision Blizzard International B.V." headquartered in the Netherlands, but Activision's SEC filing shows them as a subsidiary of the California company.
It's possible that the Netherlands company collects the revenue from Europe and other regions.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NihilismNow posted:

ATVI C.V. (with 0 employees, officially headquarted in a basement in Rotterdam with a board based in Bermuda) owns all the IP for Activision properties. ATVI C.V. charges Activision a (high) royalty fee for the use of the IP. ATVI C.V. makes a huge profit but royalties are tax free in the Netherlands. Also according to Dutch law they need to pay taxes in the US but according to US law they need to pay taxes in the Netherlands. So they just don't pay taxes. De Correspondent wrote a article about it (in Dutch) https://decorrespondent.nl/6825/zo-werd-nederland-het-grootste-belastingparadijs-voor-amerikaanse-multinationals/410600865675-af3e00af (e: sort of English translation: https://gamingcentral.in/video-games-and-tax-evasion-the-rabbitduck-conundrum/ )

Ikea (and dozens of other companies like Fiat Chrysler) have a similar structure where a Dutch foundation owns all the IP and licenses it to the actual operational company and then a series of foundations make the money dissapear nice and tax free. The Netherlands is a unrepentant tax haven.

Ah, interesting. Thanks :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I think his management may be a few steps ahead of him on that

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

They somehow managed to break every single default feature of Crytek.

Well... maybe not quite. CryEngine already had some weird body horror going on, like this:
http://i.imgur.com/7vraE1O.gifv

CIG simply managed to improve on that, like this:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:stonk:
I guess the Star Citizen NPCs are mutating, or something :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Target Practice posted:

Yeah whenever I look at what it would cost to build a new gaming computer it's like, Jesus I could spend that money on almost anything else for an actual IRL hobby. Woodworking and lapidary are expensive, but they are real. Nobody is going to convince me that video games are in the same league.

So while I save up for those, I play games on an i7-920 and 660ti. gently caress buying another system.

Edit: For that matter, in the spirit of the thread the amount of money that some of these backers spend on this game could start you into pretty much any real hobby you could think of. And that's like if you are a single person and you only spend money on yourself. Think of the opportunities that kind of money could buy for kids! Jesus!

You could buy a pretty fancy brand new car for the money that some people have thrown into this thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

My gaming computer is a work expense, so I write it off every year and get a new one. Downside is it has to be a laptop bc I need to work in multiple locations sometimes. Cue all the goons laughing at me for having a gaming laptop :shrek:

Do you get a new one every year? If so, maybe you could switch to renewing the laptop every two years and get a desktop every two years on an alternating basis? It's not like performance goes up that much from year to year anyway.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

You're debating against a point I didn't make - and that nobody made. I've never seen anyone claim Double Fine just "took all the money". They also admitted that if they didn't get enough additional sales from the first half of the game, they couldn't afford to make the second half, which came off as rushed and even had to re-use a lot of assets. It's weird that people are writing revisionist history to defend a game that was undeniably a complete gently caress-up that showed why crowdfunding is a huge risk.

Didn't Double Fine also get in trouble with Activision/Vivendi because they got a bunch of money from Vivendi for Brutal Legend and then proceeded to miss all their milestones and deadlines? It seems like a systemic problem in their company.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

That was activision's side of the story, but they had an ax to grind. They sued DF & EA to get money back and then

so activision settled.

I'm sure Brutal Legend had a troubled dev process, it was a bad game that could have been good. That's what happens. I didn't put money into Psychonauts 2 because I didn't believe they'd be able to make a bigger game happen. I though they might be playing the last card in their deck to avoid going under. But they're owned by Microsoft now so the money is not a problem.

They don't deserve to be in the same thread as loving star citizen.

Yeah, I know Activision didn't get the money back that they wanted.
I'm just saying that with that event, plus the Broken Age mess, plus them seemingly abandoning Spacebase DF-9, it looks like they were unable to manage themselves properly. Hopefully Microsoft can keep them in line now.
Obviously Star Citizen is worse by a factor of 100 or so, but Double Fine has seemingly just been limping along for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

I didn't back Spacebase but I wanted it to be a thing because I love simulation games. I really want a Dwarf Fortress esque game but with some nice isometric graphics.

Kenshi might be sort of relevant for you. A bit buggy and generally doesn't look that good, but it's just a big sandbox RPG/RTS where you do whatever you feel like and possibly die during the attempt :D
There's a thread about it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574