Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

veiled boner fuel posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14972-Research-Unbound-The-MISC-Endeavor

Of course that $350 is just for the base ship. If you want any modules to do much more than fly around and jerk yourself off, the cost goes up. All the modules that enable all the various career paths is $900 (master set):

:wtc:

Chaos Overlord posted:

Easiest choice I think I have ever made when it comes to spending so much money. 100% worth it for the Master Set. Thank you for this awesome concept sale! Can't wait to make some fresh bacon for my org!!

Curseheart posted:

This is one of the first VERY reasonably priced ships that I have ever seen. This is the size of a capital ship. A capital ship for 300 dollars is dirt cheap.

This is pure insanity

Abernaught posted:

Hey guys, I just wana say this - These XXX$ ships still needs pilots and crew. Someone with a ton of money can buy a lot of ships, but they still need to crew them (they can't fly them all at once) and good businessman/woman will hire PC's instead of NPC's cuz they know that NPCs can only get you so far and won't be as valuable if they're raided. So if you just have an aurora, but are a decent pilot, gunner, or FPS shooter - I'm sure someone will be willing to pay you to fly their expensive ship (I know I would). And so yeah, they may get an edge on the profit side from the start, but it doesn't mean anyone is going to be missing out on the fun part of the game just because they don't run out the gates with an Idris or Capital ship.
I myself burned some cash to get an LTI Carrack - so I can go deep space trading like Serenity/Firefly, and I will definitely want a good crew on my side when I'm diving into the black. So if you want to join the ride, come along - I aim to misbehave ;)

I just picked these randomly from the first few comments, I didn't realise that these people were real.

It's just pure cognitive dissonance. How do they think the things being promised with just this ship will be accomplished?! It's completely bananas, the tech simply doesn't, and will never exist.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Zzulu posted:

Who the hell are these people and why are they

they just pay hundreds of dollars for jpeg and then assume it's going to work like in their dreams. There's like no reality check filter in their brains

I just can't understand how they think this is going to work or be released in any manner that doesn't gently caress over their entire backer base. If there was a game which let you fly a ship around and do farming sure, but wait, that ship can also be modified to do other stuff. Ok, sure, add on some modules so it becomes like a Sims game building your ship from different parts? Oh, also other people can crew your ship? Ok, so like second life or something tacked onto it? Yeah, also the game isn't just this ship, the ship flies around and does stuff (presumably while all the other stuff is still going on inside the ship)?! Riiigggghhht.

But wait, there are also space battles, and your ship has to interact with the galaxy in meaningful ways. Also there are lots of ships per system. Ok, so a game featuring just this ship and nothing else at all, implemented in even the most basic fashion is essentially unfeasible in any workable sense.

But wait, there are other ships? One of them lets you be a space hostess and make other people drinks?! There are space police and laws that differentiate between transporting slaves and the dead bodies that you make after you do some game mechanic *thing* which lets you consciously void the air from their cabin?!

I know there is even more craziness, I am just trying to ignore it because even the above is purely the work of a fevered mind. At best they could maybe release a passable FPS with space flight mechanics and nothing else, however even that seems beyond them from the alpha demos I have seen that were supposed to be released in 2012 or something?!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What even is Squadron 42? Is that a separate game from SC? Why are they trying to build 2 similar games when they can't even build 1?

Or was this supposed to be a thing where they release SQ42 to appease backers and then quietly flee the country never to mention SC ever again?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
That is also the first video I have seen on it in a long time. Sure, it is quite pretty I guess? But I mean, is that it? Scott even had to run the video at x5 speed because there was so much padding.

The bit where his ship disappears with all of his cargo and then the game just crashes is great, and then he goes back there and nothing even works?

I love his snarky comments about space air in the depressurisation room as well.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I had twitch open the other day and for some reason I was following someone called Bad News Baron? Well anyway, he was streaming SC so I thought I would check it out. He had some sort of freighter thing and got a bunch of people inside it. About 8 or 9 I think, which was apparently "everyone on the server". That was kind of cool I guess? Except they kept glitching and bouncing about. He got into the command seat and the control systems just seemed like a copy of Elites, except much much worse. He selected a mission, of which there are a few variations, again like Elite. combat and delivery mostly.

So he sets off on his journey, almost blacking out from the G force of the acceleration (that was actually quite cool), goes into warp and arrives at his planet. The planet surface seemed quite detailed, albeit empty, again quite similar to Elite. He arrived at the outpost, basically faceplanted his ship into the ground, which it just bounced off. He then skated along the ground a bit, bumping into structures and stuff which didn't seem to have any effect on the ship, until he hit a pylon which seemed identical to the others and the ship instantly exploded, killing everyone inside.

He loaded back into the original station and didn't get any kind of status for killing a bunch of people. That's when I closed the stream.

It looked quite pretty I guess? But the gameplay just seems like a worse version of Elite? I have no idea why people would choose to play this over an established game with actual content?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Statutory Ape posted:

i like elite but i would hesitate to imply it has content

I was comparing it to the current state of SC only. In that regard it is practically brimming!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I remember doing a training course years ago for something technical related and the trainer piped up that he played Eve, then went into a rant about how the goons were the worst and how he hated them. I was just thinking 'lol, loving nerd' the whole time (but didn't say anything because I didn't want to fail the course).

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Why on earth would they do that when people are demonstrably prepared to pay $1000's of dollars for that privilege?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Robbaz is great. That video is like performance art.

Just lol this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrTKlnKYro&t=624s

Dravs fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 5, 2018

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
For something that's been in development for 8 years or so, I would have thought they would have gotten past the tech demo stage? It's almost as if the engine they are using will never do what they want and will never support the volume of players they are advertising.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If you don't finish crafting satchels during the main story can you finish crafting them in the post game? Need to decide how much time to devote to hunting this panther.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Also I imagine a lot of the maintenance is automated. Probably just needs a couple of button pushers and someone on call in case of emergencies. At least, I would like to think Blizzard has their poo poo together to not have half the office working on Xmas day.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I don't think anybody has ever disputed their grift game. It just shows that the actual con doesn't need to be convincing if you just target the correct group of individuals.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Amethyst posted:

When's squadron 42 coming out. I paid $30 but I don't think i'll have a gaming pc when it finally releases

e: lol I bought this thing in 2015. I don't really game anymore. Time flies.

Star Citizen has a release date of 2014. With Squadron 42 being the smaller, single player version of that game I would imagine it would release a little bit earlier....

Wait... it's what year?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Robbaz is streaming this garbage at the moment, it's hilarious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CorrectAmusedKoupreyPeteZaroll

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

This is giving me some serious silent hill vibes.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

hahahahahahahah that whole $275 dinner and presentation and they had NOTHING showing the actual game. Just jpegs.

Imagine paying almost 300 bucks to eat some microwaved slop and sit through a marketing speech. One day, in the far future, they will realise that this game is never going to be released. I just hope they are somewhere secure when that happens.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Wow, that made me check. Kick starter was in 2012...

The only game I know with a development cycle that long was Duke Nukem, which was less a development cycle and more some guys found a developer sitting in the basement covered in dust tapping away and asked what he was working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

a new study bible! posted:

So when is development starting?

Not for a while, but it's fine, Squadron 42 will be released beforehand with a single player campaign. It's scheduled to come out in...*checks notes*...2014?!