Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am sorry, how the gently caress do people still believe in this game. like at best, it will be some alright flight sim campaign that will come out maybe. like i think they showed a new ship off for sale for like 300 bucks to the "premium supporters" and others and the ships were "limited" and like 350 bucks at lowest price and they were gone in seconds. like what gently caress?

I guess if real life is pathetic enough, some turbo dweebs will pay any amount to keep this farce going. Maybe false hope is better than no hope at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Icochet posted:

Every time that guy gets posted I smile. Every single time

I read your post before the image loaded on my phone, and I knew exactly who you were referring to.

Like seeing an old friend.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Party Boat posted:

I like the idea that CIG will simply use the same business model as the No Man's Sky developer, a company that released an actual game.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

jfc, I skipped most of that manifesto for the sake of my sanity, but the ending is extra delusional. Listing a whole pretend scenario from a hypothetical non-existent game, then pretending extra hard that it somehow corresponds to the latest barebones SC alpha.

It must be so nice to be stupid. Life must be so simple.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm at a Space Force base, and everyone is doing the exact same jobs they did as part of the Air Force. Thus far, the only change has been different nametags on the uniforms, and increased shame.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

so how do they pick who changes over? Like is there a division that got switched or is it a rando lottery or do they just pick who in the unit they want to humiliate by making them join the lovely fake space air force?

Basically, all the people who already worked space-based (ie. satellite telemetry) jobs are getting transferred over automatically. It really is just a new set of nametags that say U.S. Space Force instead of U.S. Air Force.

Some of the support troops stay Air Force permanently - finance, civil engineers, etc. Finally, there are a few jobs where people were given the option. Comm/cyber ops is the only example I'm aware of off the top of my head. I'm comm, and I was given the choice to transfer to Space Force or stay Air Force.

I chose to stay in the Air Force. The choice of whether or not to transfer is meaningless for the actual job I do, because routers, firewalls, and proxies will basically be the same no matter where I work. I just didn't want to deal with the unbearable shame of belonging to a fake "space" force that will never actually do anything cool in space. At least the Air Force actually flies planes.

Edit: also they didn't think to change the ranks when Space Force became a thing, so you have a bunch of Space Force guys who hold the rank of "Airman First Class" and nobody really knows what to call them collectively.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 7, 2020

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Same energy

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

People gave it some well-deserved criticism for plot and gameplay, but overall I think Deus Ex: Invisible War looked pretty good for its time.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Star Citizen is somehow the funniest game ever made, without even being a real game.

Truly, we are blessed.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I learned my lesson when I kickstarted Doobie's Dog House.

The lesson was that my $20 dollar investment gave me a lifetime of laughs. Edit: and I can forever call myself a hot dog philanthropist.

Maybe not the best Kickstarter lesson, but hey.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Are you all trying to imply that cruise ships don't typically sandwich the buffet between the main guns and the torture dungeon brig??

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Elite Dangerous Odyssey DLC, allowing for first person exploration of planets and space stations, just released. I don't play ED (or SC for that matter), but lol forever that ED devs built FPS functionality on a lark, using the Cobra 3D engine that (as far as I know) wasn't originally designed to support FPS, and they did it faster than the SC devs could fix their elevators to not kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAb3nH5Eilo

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's worthless, just like everything else in that poorly constructed alpha, but that won't stop fools from throwing cash at it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

The NPC AI system in Oblivion had some SC level promises during development. And then it turned out the NPCs were just mindless drones like every other game. And the way the camera froze on their faces during dialogue sucked the last bits of humanity from them.

And see that mountain? You can climb it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6rXueq8N4

Copper rolls in late to the party, kills the wrong people, and then threatens you to ensure your silence. That's the kind of immersion you should demand in every game.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's Schrödinger's Game.

It exists in a quantum superposition of states where it may be a full game or it may be an unreleased pre-alpha.

It coalesces into a single state upon argument with the whales. If you criticize it for being a bad game, then the "game" is actually pre-alpha, so you can't judge it. Someday it will be the best thing since sliced bread, just you wait.

If you criticize Roberts for taking almost a decade and only releasing an alpha, then the whales will tell you that it is a real game, and already the most amazing thing ever made, and it's only getting better because next year the roadmap has [lies about next-gen tech and/or slavery-based wishful thinking].

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Only four more years to reach Duke Nukem Forever's development time. I want to believe.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Don't those usually have currents these days?

This one is just static.

It's been a good few years since I played the very first Far Cry, but I remember drifting down a river to elude enemy detection, and that was with CryEngine 1 in 2004, so lol if SC managed to undo a feature that worked in a CryEngine game that's old enough to drink in most parts of the world.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The cat guy has got to be doing some social experiment or is auditioning for a position at the DPRK MINTRUE.

When I attempt to read his screeds, my eyes just skip over the wall of text entirely, and I'm forced to extrapolate his dumb rants from the context of other SA posters clowning on him.

What I'm saying is, this is some kind of elaborate MKULTRA 2.0, which tries to break our willpower and influence behaviors from a thousand kilometers away. Some lizardbrain defense mechanism is the only thing protecting me.

Impressive.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nthing the calls for STARCITIZEN: That poo poo's for dads and losers!

Edit: and though readers already know he's a dad, by admitting that his best friends are his own teenage sons, he's sadly outed himself as a loser.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2022

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Alternatively, the normal people signed up for the Kickstarter a decade ago, gradually realized they bet on the wrong horse, and forgot about it. Thus, the only people who still post on the SC forums and carry water for this mess of an alpha are the absolute weirdos who live in their own make believe world.

In particular, people like Monocle Cat seem so wretched that nobody would willingly engage with them in real life, so it makes perfect sense that they'd find their niche fantasizing about a better life in space.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I would simply construct a quantum computer to run the servers on

Monocle Cat posted:

The devs are hard at work building Quantum Virtual Machines to run on their current physical servers. This will enable true immersive AI and vindicate my thousands of dollars and posts dedicated to SC over the last decade of my life

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

There's only one obvious answer to all of those questions:

The people who still carry water for this alpha are profoundly stupid.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

olives black posted:

Was it really apparent that it was a grift 8 years ago? I can understand a reasonable person who was bummed out enough by the state of things wanting to lose themselves in an MMO made by the Wing Commander/Privateer guy, or at least giving it a shot.

SC being an obvious grift was definitely a thing, but for slightly different reasons, mostly because it still seemed like the project could be completed largely as promised.

I first heard about SC in 2014 from a couple of coworkers who'd been in since the Kickstarter and now they were trying to convince the rest of the office to get in on it. We were all a bunch of IT technicians in our early to mid 20s, so getting us onboard with a cool space combat sim should have been easy, if the game weren't such an obvious scam even back then.

One of the backers was pretty normal about it. Paid for the Kickstarter, was promised a copy of the game and a mid-tier ship, and that was it.

The other guy was a proto whale. He'd already "bought" multiple pretend ships. Not to the level of later whales, but he'd already spent a couple of hundred US dollars.

Back then, many of the crazier promises hadn't been made, but the most recent SC news was a painfully mediocre looking video of a pilot climbing into a starfighter and flipping their helmet like an idiot, right before the person playing the demo (Roberts?) crashed their ship. The game was a barely playable alpha, if that, and the idea of not only preordering but paying extra for better non-existent ships just seemed absurd, when the Kickstarter had already provided so much money for development.

So, initially, the grift was obvious, but it appeared to just be parting gullible nerds from their money with promises of better ships in the final game. The really pro-tier grifting didn't start until later.

The Kickstarter backer who was normal and just wanted a new Wing Commander is still my friend, and realized long ago that SC turned into vaporware at worst or the next Duke Nukem Forever at best. Whatever it gets released as, I guess he'll be able to play with his mid tier pre-order ship.

Sadly, my true believer whale coworker left the office at the end of 2014, so I'll never know if he realized it was a pipe dream or if he started wearing a top hat and monocle.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Junk posted:

How typical for someone like you to post such things which have been repeatedly disproved by those who can comprehend the complete vision, but I think you will find that such objecting is in itself a betrayal of your own lack of trust in the matter.

That was a good try. You almost got me, but monocle cat's posts are never that concise or coherent.

Edit: I was able to read that post from start to finish. I never make it more than three lines into a real MC post before my brain forces me to look away in an act of self-preservation. That was the giveaway.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

olives black posted:

as a sadbrained millenial i'm fine with most games having that aesthetic

use the quake 2 engine for good measure and steal ion storm's volumetric effects

stop trying to make every goddamn game look like a loving postcard. give me all the malls and liminal spaces i can choke down

Thank you for helping me put a finger on why I roll my eyes whenever people say "at least SC looks good"

Because no, it really doesn't. The on-foot areas look like they were made for Deus Ex Invisible War, just with higher resolution and less functional physics.

One of those screenshots is from 2003.

The other was taken in 2022.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 19, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mozi posted:

from a Heraclitus point of view, you can't step in the same river twice. so star citizen has as many rivers as anywhere else

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Starfield looks bland as hell gameplay-wise. It's shiny, but I don't get any sense of excitement from it whatsoever. Still better than star citizen though.

Yeah, Starfield may or may not be any good, and will probably be a buggy Gamebryo mess, but it will be a game and it will be released. It has the same vaguely bland aesthetic of Fallout 4, but lots of people genuinely loved that game, so people will probably have fun playing this one, too.

Based on Bethesda's past 10+ years of releases, the writing almost certainly will be lousy, but there will be some kind of plot, and questlines, and factions to join. Places to go. Things to do. That alone puts it head and shoulders over Star Citizen.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vic posted:

I'm gonna lol if you can't get on a train in Starfield.

Please. Train technology is a piece of cake for an engine as powerful as Gamebryo/Creation.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

The idea that you need to buy a new copy of the game to start a new save is yet another reason for me to ask if these guys have ever, actually, played a video game other than star citizen.

Hell, does Monocle Cat even play Star Citizen?

I can usually only get through the first paragraph of his lunatic manifestos, and the last sentence. My eyes slide away from the rest of the text in between, as some deep seated survival instinct kicks in to protect my sanity.

Everything he writes about sounds like hypothetical future capabilities or brainless excuses for the laughable current state of development, but I don't think I've seen him write about his own experiences playing SC here and now.

Can anyone with the mental fortitude to read his full posts confirm if he actually plays?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

You try to take the train, but you don't have enough money on your metrocard.

You try to reload your card, but only one card vending machine works. The others are down for maintenance. The one functional machine has six people waiting to use it, while a family of obvious tourists try to figure out how to buy an unlimited 3 day pass.

Your train pulls into the station while you're still waiting in line. It leaves without you.

When you finally arrive home, you boot up your computer, bypass the antivirus software, and boot up Star Citizen. Finally, a chance to ride the train. This is good. This is what you paid a thousand dollars for and waited a decade on.

Your dream came true, and people are happy when their dreams come true, right? Surely, you are happy.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

dr_rat posted:

I mean just by pure word count I think piss cat takes up a pretty large percentage of this thread, so odds were always pretty good they'd be your welcome.

Yeah, considering the sheer amount of nonsense that comes out of him, and then the thread reacting in bemusement and/or horror, the odds of hitting a pisscat-related post at random here are probably worse than Russian Roulette.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Nah i got an invite too, it looks like if you were the first person to buy any item in the store you count as an 'early adopter' so I got in for only the cost of a $700 salvaging frigate.

A good start, but no true Citizen would ever call it a salvaging frigate. They would absolutely refer to it by name, or at least nickname, because by god it's not just any Vorpal Hypercruiser 3000, this one belongs to them, and they have the insurance to prove it!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

So what's new? Last I heard they were able to generate a river on some random planet, anything else?

In 2004, Far Cry had rivers with moving water currents and waterfalls that objects could be washed over. At the time, Far Cry was a thing of absolute beauty compared to pretty much every attempt at terrain and flora in gaming. It was the first game made using CryEngine 1.

19 years later, using a far more advanced version of CryEngine, the SC devs built a straight line out of water and added a bunch of rocks along the edges to disguise its unnaturally straight path.

Truly, we live in the future.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Quote is not edit. drat you, SA mobile!

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 12, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Deviant posted:

one year my roommate hategifted me a copy of star citizen

i have yet to play it

today is not that day

lol same here, but a coworker. This was way back in 2014, when the grift wasn't nearly as obvious and a couple of the folks in my shop got big into backing SC. At that point, it still looked like the game could, potentially, be released within the next year or two. I clowned on my buddies for spending way too much money on what amounted to a preorder for a game that didn't even have (at the time) a demo or alpha.

In turn, one of them gifted me a copy with I guess the cheapest starter ship.

I've never played it, but I'll probably take a look at the finished product if it ever releases, just so my boy gets his money's worth.

He never came across as a true believer type, so I hope he eventually realized it's a scam and put it out of mind instead of turning into a pisscat.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Biplane posted:

Isn't he like, a drug counselor of some sort? Imagine waiting for 18 months to get help with your jenkem addiction, and you're met with pisscat lmao

He has claimed that in the past. He's also claimed to be retired. And to hold some kind of developer-adjacent position within the SC team that requires an NDA.

At the end of the day, I would just assume pisscat is full of poo poo and pay him no mind, which seems a reasonable conclusion based on literally every single thing he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Good... parts?

I don't follow.

Is this like a monkey with a typewriter and infinite time will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare?

Did pisscat somehow write something insightful or at least coherent and factually accurate?