Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

some updates to that.

Erin roberts nick/simon elms:
-was involved in making games for gizmondo console (console that was money laundering scheme for swedish mob)

Disco Lando:
-harassed ladies in CIG events.

ortwin:
-was also involved in VIP3-4. Awful lot of shady business going on
https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1405445/prosecutors-investigate-vip-medienfonds

Chris roberts:
-also involved in vip4. Actually had :smug: slides about spending investors money in useless stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1GUDQuFb1A&t=1248s

Ben Lesnick:
- no longer works for CIG. Still not 100% certain, but he hasnt been seen for several months now.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

VictorianQueerLit posted:

trying to portray this as "armchair anthropology" and justifying the righteousness of the cause is the same thing everyone does to defend the obsession with a mock target.

Replace "armchair anthropology" with "armchair psychology" and you are now someone justifying why people are obsessed with Chris Chan.

i remember the time when you were obsessing over derek smart in thread about star citizen.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=221546&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 (you mention derek 21 times in first page alone)
Now that derek is gone your posts are rather noisy. In-fact the thread would improve if you stopped posting.
I do agree that thread has now lived its life, and that there is going to be lot more noise in the future.

also its 5th year of sc thread yet nobody has gone over the top, if it hasnt happened yet why would it happen in the future?

and informative effort posts are good and cool. I rather have that than your low effort posts. :colbert:

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 22, 2018

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

The technical point that there exists at least some merit in mocking Star Citizen does not then justify all mocking of Star Citizen. Especially with what has happened here because of it and what has happened to other similar targets in the past countless times.

This is a totally reasonable and not at all indicative of the problems with the SC subforum type of response. You are really defensive of your thread being criticized so you need to try and take me down by claiming that I criticize the insane doxxing crazy person too much.

Gee he only has 10,000 posts in that subforum and people constantly talk about him. I wonder why my posts in that thread might reference him?

and when you do ctrl+f to try and use the number of times someone says a word against them, read the context. I referenced the r/dereksmart subreddit multiple times and quoted other people's posts mentioning him because, surprise, when he isn't being banned for being a crazy person he is all over the place.

Yeah, notice he didn't mention

People doing geneology searches and trying to find out details about the developer's wife and her entire extended family
People getting doxxed multiple times
Goons fantasizing about brutalizing Chris Roberts, multiple times
Goons obsessively analyzing every detail of pictures of developers bedrooms and other social media pictures
Goons using screenshots and math to analyze the tits of the developer's wife to try and prove that she was in a fetish video they also found

"no one has gone over the top so what is the problem" So I guess as long as an autist doesn't actually beat Chris Roberts in the streets, like he is openly talking about doing, then there isn't an issue.

didnt i say that thread has already lived its life. Star citizen is pretty finished the outcome is clear, there isnt a lot of comedy remaining.
and r/ds has been closed for long time now. Yet your derek mentions didnt die down until derek got banned. Just saying that you are bit hypocritical, and you dont really contribute to star citizen discussion.
In-fact a lot of ppl dont contribute to discussion and that thing is just noise

You really need to source your poo poo, like i did :colbert:

doxing is only derek and he got banned for it several times.
furniture thing was legit funny because then CIG went and claimed that the custom made door on front of their office was made of driftwood they found on the beach. (you still need to find me a post about developers bedroom pics)
I dunno where your finding anything else i would even dare to say that your making things up. You have done it before.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 22, 2018

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

If you mean I've always called out people, regardless of if the thread hivemind wants to read a dissenting opinion, then yes I do that. I call out the people threatening to harm people, obsessively stalking people and doxxing people. When appropriate, in the first few years, I did post my own lengthy breakdowns of the psychology and interesting facets of this giant scam. But eventually even my superhuman autism has it's limits.

"Doxxing only happened repeatedly"
"Nobody has gone over the top yet so what is the problem"
theproblem.txt

Also it wasn't only Derek. Multiple people had to be called out for looking into Sandi's geneology and contacting her school to try and verify her degrees.

There are 20,000 posts analyzing Ben Lesnick's bedroom pixel by pixel because some goon dug up his old website by searching through his old wing commander forum posts.

Cite one single instance of me making something up, Ever.

you need to source this stuff.

What actual leaks has he made exactly?

Telling everyone that a lawsuit was on PACER or predicting mass layoffs that never happened three years in a row?

99.999999999999999999999% of what the guy says is saying that he isn't saying something but totally could but can't. Hearing anything in a whisper is better than a megaphone that spews a mount everest pile of poo poo in your face for the better part of a decade.

Dark Off posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=70#post479241092
derek called it day before it hit the pacer. Remember how ppl were talking about getting blueballed yet again. So i think you picked bad example there.

Mass layoffs is something we really cant proof in either way. The only thing that is visibly different is the fact that there is awful lot of youngsters fresh out of college in ATV's.

We have to wait for documentary to come out after bankruptcy/release to know for certain what was going on in CIG.
And who knows what else derek knows about. He has legal team ready to rip stuff out from the blogs, that would result in lawsuits.

derek has failed to call many times but that wasnt one instace of it. you just made it up.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

in star citizen news you can now buy a bomber jpg. That can carry moab.or 2 tanks.
only 595$

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

tanks? this game is gonna have ground combat? lol

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/nova-tank/Tumbril-Nova-Tank

of course

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

The Skeleton King posted:

The bottom line, objective problem with Star Citizen is that they

1- are promising a game with hundreds of absurd and useless features that no sane developer would ever implement or even consider.

2- are selling jpegs of ships, jpegs of tanks, and land in a game that does not exist and will not ever exist as anything more than a broken pre-alpha mess.

3- are refusing to own up to their farce and failures, instead choosing to ride the money train until there is no money left.

i would personally add

4- endless amounts of mocap shoots (from late 2013 to 2018 last time mocap was mentioned was 4 weeks ago)

5- endless amounts of refactors because chris/backers arent happy with end result. Everything is still a placeholder.

6- wasteful spending (do they really need 4 separate studios across the globe?)

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Somfin posted:

Hey PK friendly reminder that video game makers are artists.

Not to poo poo on you too hard but a games studio is made up of creative folks who want to get paid for their work and are fortunate enough to be riding the zeitgeist of what people are paying a decent amount of money for. Path of Exile is monetised entirely through donations and it explicitly calls its big money options "supporter packs" because games are a colossal effort to create and maintain and the work that y'all are aware of is the tip of the iceberg. I know one of the lead character artists at that studio and the amount of effort he puts into tiny animation details is unbelievable. I'm glad he's getting paid for his work.

You might not like Steppy Tap or whatever, that's cool, but some rear end in a top hat, or more likely a team of assholes, spent months making that poo poo.
and here we have magnificent 180 million dollar piece that runs like a turd. Plays like a turd. And looks like a turd.
Point being that not all games are worth supporting. We would get better art if money was spend sparingly.
The cost of making that art piece should rely on quality of art not on the cost of the artist.
(also path of exile is cool and good)

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

This is actually a complicated subject because this shitshow has been going on for so long. I'll try and boil it down to the bare minimum cliff notes version.

Goons led the initial push for refunds since Goonrathi was six figures deep. At a certain point goons flipped and became crusaders for refunding. A bunch of people here were bragging as Goons took tens of thousands out of the game a little at a time. People had sporadically been refunding all over more and more as the years passed and each individual person hit their tolerance limit of bullshit.

As more time passed refunds grew and CIG started playing hardball. Goons trying to refund and people elsewhere were exposed to every lovely tactic in the world to try and prevent them from getting their money back. This was all documented by people going through the process at various points but CIG was
    Taking weeks to respond
    Outright lying about if people were entitled to refunds
    Claiming their tech demo was a product that delivered on the sales pitch and fulfilled their obligation
    Claimed their tech demo was a product and that the 14 day limit for refunds of typical products had passed
    Added tags like "Snowflake" and "Goon" to people's accounts to designate how they were to be handled, only to be accidentally found out
    Only provided small, partial refunds and argued that constituted a refund
    Endlessly arguing about all of this, dragging refunds out for months to try and make people give up

People were still getting refunds at this point and CIG kept loving up, dragging their pitiful barely-classified as patches to their tech demo out for years so that more people wanted out but a huge shift happened when they updated the Terms of Service.

They had originally had some minor TOS changes, but the big one was involving a core promise that caused a lot of people to buy in. The release date for the game originally was 2014 so they had a clause in their TOS that said "If the game goes beyond it's release date by (X Amount of time) we will release a full financial accounting of every dollar spent in (Y Amount of Time)" this meant that since the game didn't release in 2014 that in July 2016 they were legally obligated to release a full financial accounting. In 2012 this seemed like a fantastic promise and came with Chris Robert's digital signature as a love letter to the fans so they spent a bunch of money.

So they updated the TOS a few days before the deadline, deleting that clause entirely. They then filled the TOS with about 20 different ways of saying you will never get a refund and are never entitled to a refund. Then anyone that tried to refund was told they were subject to this terms of service because that was the current revision, even if nobody had agreed to it.

That's what caused Streetroller to get his large refund that made news headlines. CIG had started fighting refunds so hard they were providing fake tracking numbers to paypal to get them to deny claims that they "Delivered nothing." This is when people started bringing in the authorities and contacting district attorneys to force CIG to give refunds.

After that goons started the r/starcitizen_refunds subreddit to walk everyone through the process of getting a refund and document how hard they were being fought since you now had to almost file a lawsuit to get your spaceship money back.

The most current news is rumors that they are trying to deny all refunds by simply ignoring them.

small corrections to this.

Goons actually flipped gradually the turning point was when Eonwe did self imposed exile from the thread for set amount of time prophetizating that game would still remain a mess when he returned. (involved goon donating to charity to stop eonwe from posting in the SC thread)
I think the whole mass refund wave started with streetroller who at that time wasnt a goon. He later became one.
Goons gradually got out by selling ships in greymarket. I think refunding in massive scale started after streetroller case.
I think whole gloating thing was more of users registering in SA after getting refund, because SC thread had that critical tone lacking from elsewhere.
The whole snowflake fiasco was exposed by greymarket trader who had been marked as snowflake, later goons discovered goon tag etc...
i dont remember fake paypal tracking numbers. I do remember some goons getting refunds from Twin Bro's company that was completely unrelated to RSI/Cig (but which had ties to ascendant pictures) .
The whole lawyer thing was mostly about EU laws. And avoiding negative better business bureau reviews
Derek did call that 3.0 marked the end of refunds, outside of 2 refunds this seems to be the case.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 7, 2018

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Booourns posted:

So this thread was posted 8 months ago, is the end still nigh?
two weeks.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Amechwarrior posted:

OK, so use elevators if ladders are bad, but elevators are also bad, this leaves ramps. Anyone got bug reports on ramps killing everyone and the solution being use ladders?

It would be like rock/paper/scissors and that's a classic game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-brDXSQok&t=355s

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Elderbean posted:

I didn't back Spacebase but I wanted it to be a thing because I love simulation games. I really want a Dwarf Fortress esque game but with some nice isometric graphics.

oxygen not included is scratching that itch for me. It has the same losing is fun thing going on.
The biggest difference is the fact that its purely in 2d and in sideways view instead of overhead view of df.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Star Citizen is more sad than funny, and I got equally bad vibes from the megathread itself last time I checked it out. As far as I can tell, there had not been any more hilarious conventions or live streaming events for a while before covid so there really isn’t new content being generated for us to mock. It’s the same stuff they keep doing, from steps out of order to outright fakery. They haven’t innovated the grift and the same questions are unanswered so where’s the fun? The fact that I see the same posters post the same things they did 3 years ago makes me QCS/FYAD concern troll style worry about the mental health of some of the posters in that thread. If you don’t have money in the game there’s nothing to really be animated about at this point.

I feel like you are partly right about it for this year. All the major live events are gone, its about pre-recorded footage now mostly sanitized of wacky glitches.
They already promised everything and really cant top their promises anymore, i feel like the peak was the land claims. (Btw we have not heard about land claims for long time now).
Derek has finished shouting about star citizen, because what would he say about it anymore.
i feel like the reddit quotes part is just poking the dead horse with a stick. Hoping that it does something funny. 95% of time its just unfunny/old joke.
there is still occasional funny thing that can happen and the sunk cost galaxy video serie by bootcha is great, it just gets drown in the noise as most of times nothing is happening.

its already slow full burn finish we are having. The funding tracker is clearly inaccurate because we are already reaching 320+ million dollars wasted on this thing. (60+ from investors , 280 from backers, ?? from government, loans as well). And that is simply ridiculous. The dev team is also getting younger and younger for some reason, so i would guess we are starting to near the finish line maybe its 2 weeks away. or 90 days who knows.