Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

outlier posted:

Lord, yes, Flashpoint. I remember a mission where I had to blow up a compound full of tanks. I snuck inside, on a whim climbed in a tank and discovered it was fully functional. So I started firing on the other tanks and ended up escaping from a blazing compound amid panicking enemies.

Other memories include crawling back to base on two broken legs and being killed by a stray round from a firefight in the distance.

drat, I'm off to play Flashpoint.

I was thinking that sounds familiar, then realised it's basically a Hitman game with choppers and tanks.

I need to play more Hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So every planet is like Tiny Earth from Rick and Morty?

(I actually figured that's probably not the worst place for a small family to settle; easy to map out, no obstacles that can be too much of a danger to you, while enough room to run around. They should use it as a holiday home)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The tie-in FPS was probably a result of either cheaping out by getting cash from Sony to make an exclusive, or being so afraid of cannibalising their userbase they just made sure there'd be no crossover in interest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zorodius posted:

Why not just move the camera in closer though?

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah. like that, Resident Evil is pretty much synonymous with awkward controls and bumping into crap constantly.

Either that or making everything a first person shooter, and not everything needs to be a first person shooter.

It's like that in pretty much all games, Dark Souls gets away with it because people expect gothic cathedrals and castles to be built over scale. (even though castles are also often pretty cramped, they're meant to be fortresses after all) Star Citizen's fuckup here is that they need to render the inside of the tank at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stefan Prodan posted:

i just cant wait to be the court stenographer in a star citizen courtroom for a living

If SS13 is any indication, it's a surprisingly entertaining job, just expect to be blown up regularly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You all just want to play Space Station 13 in 3D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

I mean, any statement that starts off “Star Citizen will never” is gonna technically be true.

Star Citizen will never disappoint anyone?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Duckbox posted:

It's weird to me that none of real game studios have gotten on the space sim bandwagon. The SC whales don't actually want a "game" but I for one would play the hell out of a fun space game that wasn't a tiny Indy or spreadsheet space trucking simulator. Why don't they make rogue squadrons anymore?

Same reason there's no AAA Minecraft knockoff with actual polished gameplay and programming that's stolen its thunder; the big studios just literally don't know how or can't comprehend making games outside the 'mainstream' genres of shootybangs, assassins creed sandboxes and maaybe platformers for the most part nowadays. Half the reason Kickstarter got so big is reviving seemingly abandoned genres, from space sims to adventure games to platformers, that the big developers have completely lost interest in while thousands of fans are sitting around desperate for a new one. (and also why so many get massively overfunded and turn out to be disappointments when the devs spend it all on cocaine and fancy offices while everyone with talent gets screwed over and quits)

I recall it wasn't so long ago that X-COM fans were wailing and rending their garments at the Bioshock knockoff FPS being proudly promoted by 2k until they got the hint that nobody actually liked beloved cult classics being 'reimagined' as by-the-numbers FPSes with the name slapped on and were amazed that the Firaxis tactical strategy game was so well received. Publishers literally don't understand that people might want to buy something that isn't a sandbox action-adventure with RPG elements (all the better to cram lootboxes into) or multiplayer shooters.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Toplowtech posted:

AAA studios also understand that most of Minecraft's success come from how cheap the base game was sold and they have no idea how to produce something cheaply enough to justify taking the risk of selling in the 10$ price range in front of their corporate owners. Outside of micro transactions at least. The fact we now have 60$ games with a pay to win model is pretty telling.

It continues to elude them that perhaps part of the reason they become so embarrassingly successful is BECAUSE they're cheap and easily fall under the 'impulse buy' threshold, as well as running on drat near anything, and having vastly lower development costs compared to the ruinous demands of AAA development and HD graphics.

It's basically the same situation as Hollywood insisting on putting out movies with budgets that would require them to be record-breaking blockbuster hits just to break even, and having to take zero risks as a result, then wondering why people tire of movies where people can guess the entire plot from the trailer.

Also funny that it's entirely the big publishers' fault that so many of these Kickstarters are by staff from now-defunct studios and teams that were cannibalised by said publishers and beloved franchises left to rot because they couldn't meet unrealistic sales expectations or weren't the kind of games that the publisher wants to make anymore. The devs that aren't consigned to toil thanklessly in mobile game hell anyway.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 16, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Citizen is definitely going to end in bankruptcy and delusion. There's been no indications that the management has any self-awareness whatsoever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

new phone who dis posted:

I thought the jail thing referred to all the shell corporations and management of money but I'm not versed enough in current corporate scumfuck practices to know if what they're doing in that department is normal or not.

I'm pretty sure it's normal, but they're doing it very badly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same demographic as F2P whales; people with disposable income, not much else going on, willing to drop thousands on pixels that they'll probably never use anyway, on a game that they can't get tired of or distracted from because it's made entirely of hype.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm going to be a professional spaceship babysitter, and going to throw wild parties in the spaceships so as to leave the owners having to vent the ship to space to even start to clean up the empty bottles, garbage, rotten food, poop, needles and corpses left over. Gotta give the space janitors something to do when they're bored with Viscera Cleanup Detail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What's the worst Star Trek race ever? I want to play one.

Pakled might be cheating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pebergehund posted:

Chris can only shut down one office at a time with aggressive micromanaging so it it's actually efficient to have more offices

This is probably accurate, and probably not the first time this kind of thing has happened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

star citizen has become so advanced and so ancient that the people playing want to understand its origins. people have been playing and updating the engine for billions of years, it is now indistinguishable from reality itself. our universe is a simulation of the original universe that gave birth to Star Citizen, an effort for the Star Citizens to understand their own history and the nature of their reality.

So we're living in the lovely prequel? That explains a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think people feel calling it a scam is assuming Roberts actually knows what he's doing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As in cartoons, as in video games; animators with any degree of talent and competence are all perverts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure about the only thing seperating Derek Smart from Chris Roberts is relative success and possibly charisma, and there's absolutely an alternate universe where it's Chris Roberts who briefly had mod powers before a ridiculous flameout from an inability to understand rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No one turns on their saviour quite like the followers of a false prophet whose promised land never materialised.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

iit: obsessive stalkers of obsessive stalkers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Man, I've wanted to play this game since I first saw an ad featuring a naked woman for it in my glossy new copy of PC Gamer in 1995.

Is it coming out soon?

That's right, it's coming out soon, real soon. There's a launch party right over there... gimme a sec, I need to clean my gun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Evil Agita posted:

have any huge whales been redpilled yet? and if so are there meltdowns to read?

That's pretty much the entire SCAM forum.

IIRC, isn't Croberts' management utter hell to work under from all accounts, constantly demanding everything be done or redone even when he said it was acceptable earlier and basically ensuring no actual progress with that special combination of micromanagement and neglect? Wouldn't be surprised if most of the remaining staff are either having massive churn or entirely checked out and doing the bare minimum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just learned that in Game Dev Tycoon there's an achievement for successfully releasing a game called Star Citizen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was actually a bit worried when a friend asked if I knew anything about Star Citizen before realising it was because of the GDT achievement. I'm not sure if they're actually even getting new backers to speak of at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a pity that last I heard, Crytek is too broke to drag CIG out into a knock-down nightmare lawsuit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somfin posted:

The hoi polloi are massively, massively ignorant about the actual process of game development.

Those who are in denial doubly so.

To be fair I wouldn't necessarily call the devs trusted experts on the process either at this point

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zzulu posted:

Lets make a promotional video of our boss playing the game. It'll be great

*can barely get the game started*

*boss seems to actively hate every second of it*

wow this is great pr

beats starbound

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC goons are also heavily present in Star Trek Online but more as an annoyance than anything, since obviously it's a pretty different setup. But it's still hilarious that goons may actually be a major factor behind why Star Citizen blew up like it did, with the backers desperately wanting to be able to get revenge on goons via wallet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Star Citizen obviously stole one of CCPs ship designs like they do most of their art. When this got traction on youtube/reddit the Star Citizen fanatics started making GBS threads up the r/eve subreddit with a bunch of "UM ACTUALLY" defenses of the dream. The r/eve subreddit started retaliating which has caused a huge flamewar between Eve players and Star Citizen cultists.

Reddit itself doesn't love Star Citizen, it's just that the Star Citizen subreddit is legendary for it's thought policing and downright psychotic fanatics. They regularly get shut down on other subreddits when they try to drag their culty poo poo to r/gaming r/pcgaming or wherever.

That's pretty much reddit in general, they're a huge site with shitloads of subreddits for every topic and often multiples, not surprising you see little tyrannical enclaves and a diversity of opinion elsewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All this reminds me I'm still kinda mad about Starbound.

I just wanted Terraria in space with better art to make cartoon space stations in, god dammit!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fatkraken posted:

Eve has permaloss and insurance and people like Eve so our game has that too!

It's very specifically meant to be an anti-griefing measure. (though also so players can buy their way to victory in general)

A LOT about Star Citizen makes sense considering it's built on Goonfleet trauma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think their business model is built on people missing the point of GTA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still probably likely to work if you mention a few dozen times you're from Australia and/or the EU.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

chaosbreather posted:

Is it because sharks eat whales, because if so that’s pretty funny

Actually happens more often the other way around, counting orcas. All but the smallest and youngest whales are well outside a shark's feasible range of prey except as carrion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feelix posted:

Shut up nerd

I will not have marine life impugned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really get the impression that everyone at the Star Citizen offices hates each other and/or is terrified of being noticed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mozi posted:

according to Q, Star Citizen is completely finished but Trump had Croberts delay it so the NSA could execute military tribunals on those dastardly goons who are trying to bring it down. MSCGA! WWG1WGAISC!!! CRF!!!!!

That's just him spreading Discord.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Look at these cowards. They just need to sell $2000 ant jpgs on their website to pay for more strippers and alcoholcontinue game development and expand the scope.

More like grasshopper simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I must admit I make that same joke every time it comes up.