Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just want a space game where I can bone other people in zero G.

With how much Chris Robbers has taken from everyone, he should allow that "Wulge" guy to nail his failed actress of a wife and film it while he's in the corner crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Honky Dong Country posted:

I mean godamn just play E:D. Sure it's shallow and Frontier is stupid but poo poo the flight and combat is fun and the goons playing it are helpful and cool.

I've never grinded for even a single second in that game and I've got a cool ship that can kick serious rear end and I've went out sightseeing to nebulas and black holes and other cool poo poo.

Cool! A fellow CMDR! I've got about 200 hours in E:D. Looking forward to the next season.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Typical Pubbie posted:

Well this is a predictable turn.

Sort of like Godwin's Law, but with fetish stuff.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

the saddest thing about croberts selling a sandbox to fund his interactive movie thing is if he does get it off the ground it's just going to be the same story he's told a dozen times. mark hammil flying a starfighter, talking to b-list actors, and fighting a total war against a space empire of evil aliens.

like he had one decent idea with wing commander and he just wants to re-visit it over and over now that the novelty is gone like uncle rico reminiscing about being the varsity quarterback

I always thought it'd be fun to have a movie about the banal day-to-day stuff that you'd have to deal with in space. No giant battles or politics, just average middle class dudes and chicks going about their lives and making ends meet. It's not a dystopia, it's not riddles with war zones, it just had the normal amount of complex drama and comedy that people would experience while living in a world that existed outside the bonds of Earth.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

WMain00 posted:

Elite's economy is a horrible lovely grind, so as a space trucker game it's pretty poo poo also. Meanwhile combat is horrendous too because ships move as such a terrible speed while the AI seemingly zips around you with ease.

Oh and there's also the fact your first ship is a giant piece of crap that is incapable of doing anything.

Elite sucks until you find one of the many glitched money making sources. That's literally the only way to make money in that game unless you treat it like a part time job. Most anything suck until you can afford the bigger ships. But, as you said, they all handle like crap anyway.

I just treat the money exploits like mini gold rushes. One pops up, and I jump across the bubble to cash in before it gets patched. It's also the only reliable way to see other players, outside of the starting system.

That, and exploration is pretty fun. I've already discovered ten planets, and I don't really play that much anymore.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's part of a new partnership. In addition to interviews and popups they also let you check the weather on the Star Citizen moons inside the app.

I'm sure MyRadar is spamming it's 10,000,000 users with Star Citizen propaganda for free and showing you the weather on fictional Star Citizen locations for free though.

This actually sounds like a really neat thing to do.

You know, for a game that actually exists....

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
From No man's Sky, to Elite: Dangerous the main thing about procedural generated planets is that they mostly suck. In E:D, they use something called stellar forge to lay out the galaxy based on astrophysics data. This results in a lot of brown, flat planets with nothing to do. Their recent patches have been making it a little better, though.

No Man's Sky was similar, but again some of their most recent patches have made the planets more varied and colorful.

Most space games are a grind, and it seems like capturing the entire universe or even just one galaxy is a boring time sink for the players.

I've never played Eve, but it seems like there's more of a sense of population there.

TLDR, space games mostly suck unless you like the grind.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Why are there so many pics of this guy looking wasted?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I can't wait to share the persistent universe with the guys who asked for rape simulation and slave suffocation models.

We can all find that guy and take turns griefing him. You know, if the game ever comes out...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Klyith posted:

Unreal 4 wasn't ready and cryengine looked glitzier than Unreal 3.

But really their choice of engine isn't their problem. People have made MMOs with cryengine, and if you're stripping it down to the graphics rendering part then it's totally functional if a performance hog. Crobberts would still be loving this up if he had a copy of Unreal 10 from the future. Engines can't fix bad practices like feature creep and nebulous ever-changing specifications.

No, but their deal isn't a normal engine license.

Also you've got it kinda backwards: crytek was providing CIG with more access and support, so they wanted those improvements to feed back to their product. Not really CIG fixing crytek's lovely code, more like crytek fixing stuff for CIG.

Given that back and forth, I wonder if that's why Crobber decided to dub their version "star engine". He thought they were doing Crytek a favor, when it was really the other way around.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

all we need is for a rich weeb to try to marry Hatsune Miku and this book from 1996 will be reality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoru

I'm re-reading this trilogy right now! It's weird to think that this takes place in 2005, when he wrote it back in the early 90's.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Unfunny Poster posted:

I like how this whole shebang is still going despite how horrifically terrible it will probably turn out for the diehard backers.

Even better, if you go back to right before the release of No Man's Sky you can watch various folks say soemthing like this:

"Star Citizen is a sham and will never be released. At least we have No Man's Sky coming out soon!"

I can't wait for the nerd riots that spawn from SC crashing and burning

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I was inspired to update mt SC launcher and give it another go.

What a loving joke. The thing has the frame rate of a slide show, and it crashed four times in ten minutes.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Someone ask Croberts if you can do honor duels in Star Citizen.

.....YES!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

No Hope posted:

Can I pre-order bird cages for my birds I find on planets

....YES!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So is there any recording of a feature someone asked for where the answer was "not right now/no plans/maybe in the future," or is literally everything a "PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO IT!"

I think "actual game play" is the only feature that CIS is against.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dreadwroth posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure the space catapult will get you up to spacespeed in no time.

The Space Catapult™ will cost 5 USD for each use.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I would pay real money to Sandi if I could actually ram the Starcitizen whales with a fleet of fellow goons.

If this game ever exists, I personally volunteer for whatever goonsquad will be doing the griefing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

P. Sure ships you "pre order" have "lifetime insurance."

I hope when it launches (lol) they make you fill out complicated claim paperwork every time goonswarm zergs your pleasure yacht to death.

I just wanna run around the space port knocking everyone over like some spastic toddler.

After that, I'll go up on deck and crash my ~pre order~ ship into the closest freight vessel I can find.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Kung Food posted:

I want to be a space accounts and receivables drone and my spaceship is a cubicle with wings. Can I do this?

Isn't that basically EVE Online?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

veiled boner fuel posted:

I played 2.0 and that's literally all I ever did. I never even learned how to use my jump drive or quantum travel or whatever the hell it is to actually go anywhere. It was 100% hanging out around the space port stealing shitizens jpegs and then ramming them into other shitizens jpegs. Occasionally you could even nail a pedestrian.

You got farther than I did. I tried the PU demo a couple of weeks ago, and all I could manage was spawning my ship up on the flight deck, and then trying to get into it as it spazzed out and clipped my half into the deck and crashed to desktop.

Any tips for upping the framerate or generally making the thing work? I'd love to ram some of the cult followers right in the verse

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

mods change my name posted:

Some whale argued that Star Citizen was a bigger undertaking than the moon landing because we've already done that. How could you not want to contribute in every way to one of humanities biggest achievements??

To be fair, it only costs about 100 million USD to put a medium-sized satellite up in geosynchronous orbit.

With the money they got, they could've put something substantial up in actual space and they still would've had money leftover for Ferraris, ridiculous coffee makers and fetish model/failed actress wives.

but nope, we gonna make these fake space ships have toilets :shrek:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

osirisisdead posted:

Do you really believe that putting a few sheets of wood through a CNC was all that expensive?

With design, layout, approval and the actual installation of a key card-activated sliding door

...yeah, it's sort of expensive. Although, this seems like the typical stuff you'd expect to see a studio spend money on. But CSI, et al doesn't have anything to show for the money they took. So, installing a door like this is a pretty rear end in a top hat move by them.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

osirisisdead posted:

But I like that because it is super satisfying when I drop my glide 5km above the landing pad, flip on my docking computer and listen to the pretty music play.

PSSSHHH! lookit this chump using a docking computer*

*it's literally the first thing I buy for my ships.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ahhhhhh what the hell I don't want to be a soyboy!!

How did you get soy boy'ed? I wish to avoid a similar fate :ohdear:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Watching Star Citizen crash and burn is like watching a tobacco executive die of cancer.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Don't you worry don't you worry Star Citizen,
See Crobert's got a plan for you

:pgabz:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
A brief reminder that this loving thing exists:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

how the gently caress does that exist mad catz went super ultra bankrupt last year

also that rig would be kinda cool for some games if not for the star citizen branding and the fact that MCZ makes their poo poo out of the cheapest chinesium they can find

It doesn't exist per se, but it's their proposed official controller for their imaginary space game. I think this was just some cobbled-together concept that sat under glass at one of the game expos.

but still, loving lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Breakfast Feud posted:

I wish I had saved it but in the original thread, sometime during the first year of development, someone made a custom controller thing. They took apart some gaming mouse/keyboard thing (really wanna say it was a nostromo gaming pad) and used some kind of prototyping plastic that you could sculpt when you heated it up to fashion it into The Perfect Ship Controller. They had already imagined fully how the turrets and weapons and ship controls worked, so obviously needed a controller before the game even dropped.

Was it this one?

Pretty rad overall. I'd love to use this for Elite.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

this thread is like a microcosm of poo poo

so from what i can tell, star citizen is in the stage where everyone is wanting ~immersive details~. and the ships have toilets for ~immersion~, so it's fine that it has

on it's own, it's pretty bad and funny because toilets.

but again, there is no loving game here, besides thinking about how cool a ship with toilets is going to be to immerse in, and how they'll go to the toilet in the game. like, they made the models and everything. most of the poo poo that's just thinking about the inconsequential details of their toy spaceships is just as dumb and a waste of time.

yet half the comments are fragile little boys feeling threatened because the existence of girls is a political issue, and considering their opinions diminishes their fantasy game that does not exist. someone even starts whining about how horrible it is that trans people exist for no reason. i get the impression ellindor is not so much of an outlier here.

I still don't understand why the toilets are such a big deal. If they're gonna build some kind of "have-to-pee/poop" maintenance aspect into their fake star man game, then it's gonna be like My Summer Car in space, but with shittier graphics and game play.

Also, you'd think that a flight suit that has a helmet with 40 assorted rendered moving parts would've taken waste containment into account.

Wait, I got a great idea for a SC mini-game! Every 12 hours in game time, you have to wash out your flight suit over the toilet. BRB, gonna go steal some artwork from Deviant art.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I can't wait to see the modders get a hold of this game, since you know the anti cheat will be laughable if not non-existent.

gently caress it, I'm theory crafting the trolling in this game:

"I get into my giant pink dildo ship, the 'USS Gank-a-tank' and fly out to port Olsinar. There, I line up the sights of my jizz cannon and hose every citizen I can right of the flight deck and into space. Security drones are deployed to deal with me, but thanks to cheat engine I've got 99999% health and my jizz cannon tears through them like tissue paper. People are literally crying in the chat channel, and one whale even commits suicide, his gurgling corpse can still be heard over the mic as I spawn a pack of velociraptors in the armory. A Roberts-class super ship warps into my view and deploys all it's hard points at me. Every missile, laser and harsh word they can muster is tossed my way. I change a few number values in the game code, and de-spawn half his ship. His PC and NPC crew are drifting about in the vacuum of space while he rages on the mic and hammers his Star Citizen™ brand flight stick to pieces.

I spawn 368 assorted shipping containers on the flight deck and log off. "

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

the best part isn't just that they air these weird thoughts but that they think that they're completely normal, like everyone else is also secretly thinking about how to best avoid slavery charges when the space cops scan your rape pirate ship

I want a space ship that hauls bio waste, but the bio waste is stored in the cockpit of the ship and I have to sit in it all day wearing a snorkel while I make my rounds. I mean, that's totally normal though.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I'll give you 8,000.00 USD for that ship jpg!!!!!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

I called this when the complaint was first posted and everyone acted like I was some kind of croberts shill for suggesting that there might be two sides to the story and that crytek's allegations were not some kind of ~sick burn~ that would doom star citizen. :shrug:

I hate when that happens. Everyone hates the voice of reason when they're lighting their torches.

I still think there's SC supporters buried deep within the very fibers of the internet like Scientologists. Some dude had a "yay for Star Citizen" compilation video on youtube. It had ten views, including mine, and I made a comment about how his frame rate was way better than I ever managed. Some Crobertroll emerged and went on a multi paragraph sermon rant about how RSI et al was changing the actual foundations of video game development itself.

Given that they've essentially created some kind of alternate universe where you can get hundreds of millions of dollars for not making a video game, I guess he might be right.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Hustlin Floh posted:

Will Star Citizen have an in-game internet? I can't imagine having to tab out of the game to post with my fellow citizens. I should be able to sit in my space hot tub while viewing the official forums.
The one and only response to every feature question for SC:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

You will never un-seat Ben.

Beautiful!