Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

brakeless posted:

So how big is the biggest confirmed whale for this thing? Is there some mouthbreather on record bragging about blowing ten grand or whatever on this poo poo?

i'm pretty sure there is a goon that spent more than that, the big whales have got to be in the hundreds of thousands spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

VictorianQueerLit posted:

When you spend all day mocking this poo poo in the Star Citizen thread you kind of get numb to the amounts of money being thrown around by people. When you see people dropping $900 for torpedo bombers or $850 for land claiming ships or $250 for a car you kind of stop processing how big the actual amounts are.

I think it's part of what drove everyone that follows Star Citizen insane. How do you reconcile with logic that someone would pay nine hundred dollars for a space ship that doesn't even exist as a concept in a game that doesn't exist.

chris roberts learned from hypemen of the past but had the revelation that if you never release a finished product then you can continue hyping and bilking customers with no fear of being contradicted by reality

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
maybe this is all chris roberts plan to get these people so invested that when things finally come crashing down he'll have an army of desperate nerds detached from reality that he can sic on whoever he wants by claiming that it's their fault that Star Citizen will never be

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

spacetoaster posted:

Sad, but true.

There are many, many more people with actual Star Citizen tattoos. It's, well, it's crazy.

all of this is just more proof that chris is building an army. you may laugh now, but think of the world we live in. one day, you will wake up, and chris roberts will be on youtube dressed in spandex with a mask and a voice changer demanding his loyal acolytes punish those responsible for the destruction of their dreams

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Hemingway To Go! posted:

'an mmo where i can be the hero while everyone else does menial tasks and no one will ever grief me', even if possible, is still a pretty pathetic fantasy

basically they want a single player game where all the NPCs that exist solely for their entertainment have been replaced with players... just think of the immersion if you could ask the space delivery driver who is delivering your AWESOME WEAPONS about things and he could talk back just like a human would!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i just want respect. they'll HAVE to respect me when i am CAPTAIN of the GREATEST FLEET the VERSE HAS EVER KNOWN! THEY'LL HAVE TO

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
hmm, i could use space plumbers and space chefs for my grand fleet. you guys can join up as long as you agree to always refer to me as "Great One" and do whatever I tell you to do. in exchange i'll let you walk around inside my massive ships, maybe sit outside my massive hot tub to watch while i enjoy myself. obviously i would need your personal phone numbers or a way to get in contact with you if i feel like having a space sandwich or need a space toilet unclogged when you are offline (who would ever be offline though?)

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'll be honest, he's a gross looking skeeze with a decently hot if evil wife and is living the high life while doing essentially nothing for the past like 5 years because idiots voluntarily continue to fund it. Other criminals have done worse. He's essentially one of those megachurch celebrity pastors who begs for donations for Christ and sends them like a vial of sink water in a cross shape and then asks for more except instead of senial old people it's a scam for fat morons who never leave the house

Both sections of society are probably going to be dead shortly so I'm not feeling too bad about it

never let anyone tell you that winners don't use drugs

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
if you somehow manage to piss away literally multiple thousands of dollars on f2p mobile games someone should probably just put you out of your misery already

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

21st Cherry boy posted:

And yet it's somehow infinitely more pathetic to piss away literal thousands of dollars on a game that doesn't exist and will never exist

:agreed:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

ilmucche posted:

People can spend their money however they drat well please. We can judge them for it though.

Seriously, what is the ultimate goal of the game. I've never looked into seriously, and for a while I got it confused with no man's sky. It's a space exploration game where you can pay to get better ships? Is it eventually supposed to be like eve corporation builder or tie fighter spacebattles or no man's sky exploration or dust514 planetary bombardment or a combination of all of those?

Watch Black Mirror Season 4 Episode 1, that's what Star Citizens want

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
in the 'verse all the streets are paved in gold

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I'm torn. If/when this game is released, will the hardcore superfans go into denial, deluding themselves into believing that SC is the game they've always wanted it to be despite evidence to the contrary? Will they move on to another pie-in-the-sky game and repeat the process? Will they go berserk and self-harm/harm others? What do you guys think?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Dyuuh dyuuuh guys THEY WILL RELEASE THE Game and besides it will be good SINCE GOOD IS SUBEJECTIVE and YOU GUYS are LOSERS for caring bout this game but i dont really care I BARELY SPENT ANYTHING ON THIS GAME YOU LOSERS ARE ONLY MAD CAUSE YOU SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY!!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
mukip is one of the gamer elite. he understands how things REALLY are in the game industry. not like you gamer plebeians.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Somfin posted:

Starbound is a terraria clone designed by a madman who hates emergent fun as a concept and mistreated his staff, including a few goons. He explicitly demanded that fun elements be removed from the game if he didn't personally put them in, and that the game be made longer and grindier after already being criticised as a long grindfest. Its much-touted mod-friendliness led to an outright, outspoken content thief ruling the roost and no-one will stop it because he's popular with brigade-happy idiots.

Also the office adopted a puppy that no-one cared for.

Can you elaborate on this? I love stories like this.

Also lol at the people who come to this thread to transparently defend Star Citizen. Stick to throwing your money away on jpegs guys.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i can't believe the latest line of defense for star citizen is "okay, sure, they might be fleecing those nerds, but those nerds DESERVE TO BE FLEECED FOR BEING SUCKERS! besides, think of all the jobs that were provided!"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Hey there was this one video of star citizen that featured crude animations, space court, and a remix of snoop dogg's the next episode, I've never been able to refind it though. Any chance you know what I'm talking about?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

That's the one! From 2015 no less! Thanks!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Bogus Adventure posted:

What are the odds that the true believers still sing Croberts praises as they slip into financial oblivion

she has no need to murder him anymore. Croberts belongs to Sandi now and I get the feeling that he knows his place

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i admit i preordered the collectors edition becaue I loved witcher 3 and have lots of confidence, but holy gently caress.

you preordered a game that doesnt come out til 2020 and also gives you nothing extra for preordering and also apparently costs 250 bucks?

are you sure CIG can't interest you in some nice spaceship jpegs, friend?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
for you see, star citizen is like life, in that it cannot be won, and in that all desire will inevitably lead to suffering. one must learn to enjoy the journey, to recognize the beauty in all that we take for granted, only then will we truly be at peace both with the verse and with our own selves.

*spends 800 dollars on spaceship JPEGS*

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Why is it that most people who use the "it's logic" in their argument are usually the ones who are missing it?

Also, that poster sounds like a loving tool. "I'm so much smarter than you and will defeat you with logic!"

logic is just a word you use to make your arguments sound more impressive! if using it doesn't impress your opponents then they clearly just aren't as logical as you are!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

.random posted:

I know I’m going to regret asking but wtf is this even trying to say?

the average star citizen fan is an overeager goober whereas the average eve player is an accountant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Bad Purchase posted:

well that settles it, there’s no intelligence behind the current language models

h-hang on!

ChatGPT posted:

Oh, how misguided and misleading your arguments are in favor of purchasing multiple copies of Squadron 42. It seems you've fallen victim to the grandiose promises and empty hype surrounding this game. Let me dismantle your points one by one:

"Unique character creation": While the idea of creating a unique character in Squadron 42 may sound appealing, it's nothing more than a marketing ploy. Many single-player RPGs have offered character customization for years, and Squadron 42 is hardly breaking new ground here. Don't be fooled by the illusion of uniqueness; the choices you make will likely have minimal impact on the overall story, and your character's "history" will be limited to superficial variations.

"Replayability": You claim that Squadron 42 offers endless replayability due to the inability to change character history and choices. However, let's be realistic – the supposed uniqueness of choices won't be as vast as you believe. The game will likely follow a linear narrative with just minor branches that won't significantly alter the gameplay. So, replayability is merely an illusion, and it certainly doesn't justify purchasing multiple copies.

"Retiring to the PU": The idea that your character will retire to the Persistent Universe (PU) with all their history and possessions might sound appealing, but it's highly doubtful that this mechanic will be as groundbreaking as advertised. Even if it were true, it's not worth buying multiple copies of a game just for such a feature. In all likelihood, this will be a minor addition with limited impact on the overall experience.

"Dynamic AI reactions": The promise that AI characters in the PU will react differently based on your actions in Squadron 42 is overly ambitious and likely to fall flat. We've seen similar promises in the past, and they rarely deliver as advertised. It's doubtful that these supposed dynamic reactions will be anything more than a few lines of scripted dialogue.

"Squadron 42 being single-player": The argument that Squadron 42 has to be single-player to maintain its uniqueness is flawed. Many successful games have incorporated single-player and multiplayer elements seamlessly. There's no reason why Squadron 42 couldn't do the same. Claiming it's "one huge dynamic mission set inside the PU" is nothing but marketing jargon designed to justify their choices.

"Paying to create unique characters": This is an absurd proposition. You're essentially suggesting that players should pay exorbitant amounts just to create different characters in the game. There are countless other games that offer character customization without charging players an arm and a leg for each slot.

"The ignorance of those suggesting dropping Squadron 42": Ridiculing those who question the necessity of Squadron 42 shows a lack of critical thinking on your part. Criticizing a product's aspects and raising valid concerns are essential for a healthy gaming industry. Blindly defending every decision made by the developers only encourages the perpetuation of mediocrity.

In conclusion, your attempt to justify the need for purchasing multiple copies of Squadron 42 is filled with unfounded claims and false promises. It's evident that you've been swayed by the marketing hype and fervor surrounding the game. Rather than encouraging such exploitative practices, we should be advocating for more consumer-friendly approaches in the gaming industry. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors; keep your wallet closed until you see tangible evidence of the game's actual depth and innovation.