Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Guys I got bad news I purchased a ship don't wanna say how much but it was a lot. Anyway Chris promised it'll have an accounting room where the administration of my mining empire happens, like where we do inventory, payroll poo poo like that. It's gonna have at least 12 simulated computer stations on windows with excel and access, and a server running SAP to track all this poo poo all in game. If I had to do this on my personal desktop it'd be immersion breaking.

It's gonna be a motherfucker to implement into a system that has to occasionally produce a frame so it's likely gonna push back the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well, it's better than the literal rape request. I guess that's something.

lol i didnt hear about this i'd love to know what someone's idea of how implementing pvp rape would work

E:

Mom: Billy log out it’s time for bed
Billy: I can’t log off I’m getting raped
Mom: Why not?
Billy: If they let me log off mid-rape it wouldn’t be very immersive, now would it?
Mom: Okay honey well tell him to hurry up, and brush your teeth.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 8, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

This dude has written some strongly worded letters to Disney about numerous inaccuracies in A Pirates' Life

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

quote:

Not using the bit system. Kills information bottlenecks? posted:
A bit looks like this
True
/
\
False.

What if we used something like this: *

\|/
-x-
/|\

An octa system. Software wise.
Would it pay back on the information flow?
Or can we only use bitcode cause hardware only uses bits?

Would coding bits into octa's speed up things?

My new ascii “goatse” bit looked good in the comment preview but looked like poo poo when I posted it so I guess you have to use your imaginations :(

vaginite fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 22, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Just having a normal death in Everquest in 2001 was a loving nightmare. I've had many hours long, even having to log out and get back at it the next day, corpse runs.

As many of you have mentioned before, none of these people have played game in decades.

Bind yourself in uguk at the entrance to lguk, go out for a smoke break. Get trained, come back to 8 of your corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

If I recall, only one of your corpses holds your gear and you lose experience, permanently, each time you die. So if you say, fall of the boat and die on the literally 30 minute non-stop boring trip from the south to the northern human town (freeport?), then you're hosed. Very very badly.

In OG if you died you respawned without any gear, all your gear was on your corpse. You had 24 hours logged in time and 7 days overall to get to your corpse and loot it or it decayed. An empty corpse decayed faster but I don't remember the timing.

If bound (where you respawn) somewhere dangerous, or could become dangerous (such as a zone-in), you could respawn and die continuously if afk. And yeah you lost a ton of XP, about a 1/10th of a level. Given that a good 8 hours in an efficient group would get you like half a level, dying a bunch of times was devastating.

You could get a cleric to res each of your corpses for some XP recovery but it was difficult to find, so you'd sit there with your 8 corpses and try to find a cleric willing to come sit there with you and cast res over and over for 20 minutes (given mana regen time), or the empty ones would poof in a short amount of time, taking any chance at XP recovery with them.

Also if you got to your corpse with gear, and looted it without leaving anything on it, it'd disappear along with your chance to get it resurrected and recover hours of exp. Also if you accidentally right-clicked one of your empty corpses on accident it'd disappear.

EQ was rough. It was in a good market share position but stuff like led to it being abandoned en masse once WoW came along. I do kinda miss it though, it was pre-wiki and the only game I ever played where I had tons of friends because you had to.