Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rad-daddio posted:

You can have more than one hobby, y'all. Like, play video games and also go outside. You don't have to choose either/or.

Gaming rigs are expensive, though I agree.

Not to mention I got a prebuilt pc that plays games really well and also lets me enhance my other hobbies (audio and film editing, photography, etc.) for 1k. That's not even that bad and for sure a lot less than I'd spend in a single year of surfing and snowboarding, while the computer will last for years. I definitely don't buy a lot of games, I don't get swept up in hype and usually I'll just wait for games to get super cheap before I buy. For drat sure I'm not gonna pay for a game that isn't even a game yet.

So really, it's not all that bad. Just don't get into the fandom, pick up fun small games along with a few excellent AAA games, and you're golden. Just don't be a massive nerd /fanboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I hope I never reach the point of blaming different people or departments for a game being bad. Who loving cares? It's either good or it's bad, that's the only truly relevant detail to consider.

In closing, this whole thing could've been avoided if everyone was more like me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played No Man's Sky for the first time the other day. It seemed boring. And confusing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

maybe just make it like instead of space its underwater. kind of like a full 3d sunless skies or something, kill two birds with stone. see it LOOKS like a space ship but actually it's a submarine!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I said come in! posted:

No, but you'll probably be able to have sex because it turns out that is literally all any of the big supporters want out of the game.

"Have sex" makes it sound a lot more consensual than what they actually want out of the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

didn't loving Puzzle Pirates manage to pull this off, where the players all have their own minigames while the captain maneuvers the ship about? Also I think it's called, Bridge Commander?

I was obsessed with that game at 12 years old and it did indeed. There was measurable progression, if you were good and rich your could make tons of money but if you were poor and bad you'd barely make poo poo. Gameplay involved stocking up with supplies and going out to hunt larger and more dangerous ships for greater rewards. One player would own the ship and others would sign on to work it. More than that, groups of players owned islands themselves which could be seized in a blockade by another group of players.

Star Citizen will never even get to that level

Play
Apr 25, 2006

This thread is about star citizen, not dumb gamer slap fights over an unreleased game. Please take it somewhere else, I'm sure there's some dank disgusting turd of a thread somewhere to indulge your sick urge to argue about Kojima, whatever that is

Play
Apr 25, 2006

STAR CITIZEN: how many destitute space butlers did you rape along the way?

there's just too many good ones

Play
Apr 25, 2006

An insane mind posted:

Who would think that the best way to keep goons out was just never release a finished version.

ha- have we been checkmated!??

Play
Apr 25, 2006

An insane mind posted:

Micro transactions are super poo poo and in my opinion an actual crime towards people who are vulnarable to it. Cartel crates on the old republic nearly bankrupted me. I have to really police myself with 'free to play' games or else I just drop down the rabbit hole and that policing sucks all the remaining fun out of the games for me.

It's a horrible practice and people who go: "Just don't buy the crates or the buffs or whatever, I don't." Really miss the point.

Agreed, the one single time I've spent money like this was because I wanted to see what Madden Ultimate Team was like so I dropped like 50 bucks on some card packs.

It was so loving dumb and useless. It was the exact same game except you had to pay extra for it. I was so ashamed that I even spent money on that that I canceled my EA Origin subscription (which I only got to play that game anyways).

we are APPROACHING the BEGINNING of that territory where it SEEMS like it's all coming together ENOUGH to . . .

how many qualifiers can fit in a single sentence?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SatansOnion posted:

...wait, that’s real? If you’d told me it was from an unaired episode of Red Dwarf in which Rimmer declares himself Chief Coffee Officer, I’d probably have bought it

like, even the font screams classic smeghead

lmao your characterization of Rimmer is pitch perfect, thanks for reminding me of Red Dwarf. I was actually way too young for the show I think but I ended up picking up some of their novelizations which are downright genius

Play
Apr 25, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

There are full-auto versions, like commercial Nespressos, which will do everything from pour espresso to foam milk from a reserve. You only have to press Butan.

We have one of those, I absolutely love it and don't need anything more complicated.

Anyways, star citizen sure is silly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mirificus posted:

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

Wait wait wait the Something Awful subreddit? Is that actually a thing? . . . that's pretty hosed up man

spacetoaster posted:

SA forums. Known lovers of Derek Smart.

whos this derek smart jagoff

Foo Diddley posted:

My favorite citizen delusion is that all the doubters going to be sorry someday :allears:

Absolutely. It's like, even if this game comes out (it probably won't) and its playable (doubt it) and it's the best game ever made (uh uh), I won't give a flying gently caress about it or anything I said about it beforehand. Maybe I'll play it if it's really good and it can be pirated, probably I wouldn't, but either way it won't affect my life in any conceivable way. I have no dog in this race and no feeling except mild amusement/pity

He forgot pity, which is the primary (in fact only) emotion I feel when I hear about people spending thousands of dollars on ship jpegs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

By the time I was ten years old I'd already had more dangerous and severe near-death experiences than this little baby.

But thank you for this "story" from the director of marketing that has nothing to do with star citizen whatsoever. I'm sure it will distract and confuse some people from their complaints, which is surely its goal

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Elevator loading screen was annoying but it at least gave us some snippets of light conversation between the characters which was enjoyable

Yeah I mean.. it's better than a loading screen right?

Even though loading screens aren't even that bad... I use a fast HDD since I have a lot of games and I've never waited more than a minute, and that's the most massive loads (heh). I think the lesson here is that gamers will complain about anything

lobsterminator posted:

I enjoy flight sims and I might actually like a space sim where you have semi-complex procedures and lots of knobs to handle your ship. Star Citizen is a weird mix where you have lots of useless animations and transitions that do nothing but slow down the gameplay, but the actual systems are just a HUD menu that says "turn space ship on." Not to mention all the pointless running through a station.

If a game is going to be detailed and immersive, it has to be compellingly so. Like you say, a procedure to start up a drive and prepare the ship for takeoff could be somewhat interesting, with features and procedures differing for each ship. When it's just filling time, it's completely worthless. Just parasitic garbage sucking your life dry one long, pointless animation after another

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amethyst posted:

he's a GAMERGATER. gently caress HIM.

that is correct, yes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amethyst posted:

He is not a gamergater though, obviously, you lunatic . Right there in his tweet he says gamer gate is horrible. What the hell is wrong with your brain

I don't think you really deserve a response, especially since that post was a joke, but whatever

In that tweet, he blames the media for somehow 'turning' gamergate into a hate movement. It's the media that's to blame, not anyone else, when in reality it was a hate movement the whole time and just picked up speed as it went along. I mean, that line "it's about ethics in video game journalism" has now become a self-aware, mocking slogan because it's the same kind of rhetorical nonsense that gamergaters always hid behind. Looks a lot like whitewashing to me although I'm no expert and I'm really not interested in re-litigating all that dumb poo poo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah this is what I meant by not relitigating gamegate, we'll all be worse off for it

Someone just said that Squadron 49 or whatever is going to be a hit, does that mean it's actually going to exist? Do we know that for sure?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DandyLion posted:

Its already fully playable and was released years ago my dude. Where have you been?

you're reaaaallllyyy stretching the definition of "playable" here

Play
Apr 25, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Shut the gently caress up about gg and politix.

eh, I learned something. and it's not like there's some big star citizen news. newsflash it still sucks and barely exists

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The tank is actually amazing for how many basic design principles it violates

explain if you would

Play
Apr 25, 2006

accelerwraith lmao. that is terrible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The way rape has gotten less common over time in society, you'd figure it'd be a lot less common in the spacefaring future. For some reason (I know the reason) these people want a space game with a Mongol-invasion-level incidence of rape

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are they celebrating that people can chat?

that... seems to be the case. people can chat and create groups or guilds or whatever you want to call them. aka features that can be found in almost any online game no matter how cheap and janky

I think what they're really saying is "look how many people are on the game and chatting and creating groups!" but you know what that's probably because there's basically nothing else in the game that actually works

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Jesus I felt like a dumb rear end in a top hat last night for dropping 20 bucks on some goofy guns and skins that looked cool in Modern Warfare.

I hope [a political outcome occurs] so these people can either have their insane excess wealth they must have to spend house downpayment money on jpegs expropriated, or if they are eating ramen to do this get the compassionate mental health treatment they need.

you are a dumb rear end in a top hat, just not as dumb nor as assholish as that dude

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i spent like a hundred dollars on diablo 3 loot once but in my defense i was on meth

Play
Apr 25, 2006

In 2012 I was just graduating from college, I couldn't even list all the things that have happened since then and now. literally everything has changed over that time. except star citizen i guess

Play
Apr 25, 2006

planning an Object Push and Pull-based build. many objects will be pushed, and then pulled. or vice versa

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm fairly sure it's meant to be parody, but definitely some Poe's Law going on given most internet sci-fi fiction jams are basically grimdark oneupmanship contests.

I can understand the urge to believe this but it is definitely not. Definitely a thread treasure, that one

Statutory Ape posted:

its not that people that play elite hate star citizen, its just that people that play elite know exactly what a bare-bones no depth flying game looks like.

and star citizen has even less than what those people are used to

My favorite space game is Everspace, which simplifies the space experience down to exploring areas, upgrading ship and pew pewing enemies. There's probably a story too, I don't know. But what's really cool about that game is that it.... is a game. That is fun to play. That has all the things a game needs to have to be fun. Star Citizen, as far as I can tell, has almost none of those things.

they do have elevator facings and the ability to push and pull, though! (well, not yet they don't, but it's definitely coming)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's unfortunate that there are all these super-advanced space civilizations/stimpires and all they wanna do is have slaves, fight each other hand to hand and torture people for no reason

Play
Apr 25, 2006

please refrain from turning around so fast, it really chunks the framerate.

five degrees of rotation per second is the star citizen recommendation

Play
Apr 25, 2006

how can you possibly expect a developer who can't even make a functional demo to actually deliver on the biggest of all gaming promises

Play
Apr 25, 2006

puzzle pirates solved that issue by making each person on the ship engage with their own puzzle game in order to contribute. I guess you could just sit there but that would hurt you just as much as other people. And the mechanics were limited enough that shenanigans weren't really possible

puzzle pirates was actually kinda rad, a good example of an MMO done well

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Viscous Soda posted:

It's so weird to look at the early concept art on the Kickstarter page. Everything, from color schemes to the design style has changed since then.

and it's actually gotten a whole lot worse because those were pitch materials and marketing. at this point it looks like a game the developers put on a torrent site themselves to drum up interest. one where you randomly keep seeing assets from other games and it freezes after the first and only mission

Play
Apr 25, 2006

"Being an actual game" is also something other games have on Star Citizen

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm sure there's some big dumb story about it but WHY THE gently caress would you choose Cryengine of all things? Everything I know about it is that's it's extremely limited in many, many different ways. And is straight up worse than the other major engines.

To me the thing that would've made the most sense is creating a proprietary engine that can actually do the things you need it to do. But of course they'd probably gently caress that up too

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh boy do we need eyes where we're going!

loving lmao

DoomLazer posted:

Elite:dangerous is free on epic right now so I tried it. Only did the tutorial and the first cargo mission. I quit when it looked like I was going to have to jump to three different stars to get to my next destination. Obviously I didn't give it a chance, but I don't get whats fun about warping from star to star, then watching an auto docking sequence over and over. Where's the space rape?

EverSpace is the (MUCH) better game to me, because it's focused on action, combat and exploration and basically throws out the rest. It is a roguelite basically so the setup is a bit different, but it absolutely works. The space ships handle like a dream and you really need to approach situations intelligently and use the right tools and weapons to do the job. The combat is genuinely interesting, challenging, and thrilling and even when you die you can come back a littler stronger.

You can actually try the EverSpace 2 demo on steam for free right now, I'm pretty excited for that game and it looks incredible. Elite Dangerous and X4 just have way too much... unnecessary poo poo for my tastes. And they're boring, quite honestly

Play fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 25, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DoomLazer posted:

$350 in 2013 would be ~$391 today. By raising the price by $100 it will be properly adjusted for inflation by the time they get around to creating the 3D model in another 8 years. This makes about as much logical sense as any other theory the fans have come up with.

I would say it makes a lot MORE logical sense.

But the real answer is 1) more money for us 2) gently caress you

waiting: the best gameplay

you literally could not make this poo poo up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mozi posted:

some people say sunk cost is a fallacy, but they're just not committed to the vision

it's not a sunk cost fallacy it's an ascending cost fallacy!! to the moon and beyond!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Why would you want to play a game that does everything anyway? I thought it was a great idea when I was like 14, but goddamn it seems like a tedious idea now. Pick a few systems, do them really well.

Absolutely. I'm not looking for a video game in place of my life. Just something fun and enjoyable I can play when I have free time. The best games can and should be played in 15-90 minute increments imo

I think the mentality of the whales is the opposite of this, they want a game that will fully and completely replace their own lives

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gildiss posted:

Waiting is the game play and let me tell you, Star Citizen is the ultimate game for waiting.

holy poo poo. WE'VE BEEN PLAYING THE GAME THIS WHOLE TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's hilarious how threatened they feel by cyberpunk, to the point of constantly bringing it up unprompted. How do these games have anything to do with another?

What they don't realize is the actual competition will be Cyberpunk 3088, to be released 20 years from now