Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

metallicaeg posted:

End of February: $29,854
My progress is going to be poo poo the rest of the year. Went through an awful break up, which on the financial side of things it'll cut $600 a month in shared living expenses.
I have 9 credit accounts with balances now, and where I was planning eliminating two of those balances (which were at one point a combined $3500) I'm now looking at only eliminating one this year.
Company is going through Chapter 11.

Just wanted to say hang in there, dude. :glomp: Any progress is better than no progress and sometimes holding the line is an achievement in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Feb update

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k plus whatever I get from my tax return On target for Feb, 2k saved :woop: Still 1500 behind because of Jan but should be able to make that up later
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work I've accidentally picked up some difficult high profile projects so that resume is gettin' padded in a good way.
3) Read a book every month Ended up going through two books this month - Slaughterhouse Five for myself and The Hobbit for my kid as a bedtime story over a couple weeks.
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week Done.
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week. lettuce for the lettuce god.

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm and go on a hunting trip. I found a local group big enough to get a guaranteed deer tag in the fall, hopefully our schedules work out :v:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

Added a $500/month cc payment to my budget and cut out a ton of stupid food/gaming expenses.
Go out to eat once a week max, fast food three times a week max. I have every variety of grill and slow cooker and kitchen gadget there ever was, might as well use them.
Gym at least once a week, use rowing machine at home three times a week. (Gym Saturday, rowing M/T/R)
Should be able to lose ~2 pounds a month by making these changes, because my starting point is a hell of a lot worse.

Met the credit card payment due to making extra money, budget is still not great. Did not see the inside of a gym or use the rowing machine once. I went ahead and made my own thread because boy howdy do i need a reality check. looking for better results by april 1.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

February update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 (once he's born)
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash Purchased with 80% cash. Will be attempting to pay off the financed portion ASAP, since it's 4.75%
- Help my wife make money on Etsy
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week I have it in writing that I'll be WFH (as able) for 6 weeks after my son is born.

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer Another weekend in the basement means another step in the right direction. Lots of open area now instead of bunches of junk on the floor. We have delineated the basement into storage, guest bed, crafting, music, and play sections. Now, we just need to get some cheap carpet / rugs.
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one Still optimistic on this.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 1, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

By end of Q1:
- Pay remainder MBA tuition in full. Tuition paid in full middle of February. I was the first to pay for it, but it feels good to have it off my list.
- Begin a taxable investment account. Begun and funded to the amount I was hoping.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness. Paperwork came through, it's all been submitted.
Now the bad, I had a car smash up earlier in February and will probably owe about $1,000 to cover the insurance deductible. I might have to get an attorney or have some more ticket related expenses.
We also severely under-withheld for our 2017 taxes (for which we've adjusted moving forward) but we owe the tax man quite a bit of money. We won't be able to FULLY replete our EF until May 1.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth. Dicey, given the throes of the market!
- Acquire MBA. The end is near!

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. We've started talking about this one a lot more, and I think this is the right timeline.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. This happens automatically.
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to.

Yearly Stretch Professional Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. No sign of this upcoming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. On hiatus for now.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, uncertain of the timeline.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. This project continues on pace.
- Thirty (30) new books read. 12 new books read at this point, I'm going to crush this goal.
- Rower used 100 times I've only been on it 10 times at this point, so I'm a bit behind for my schedule. I plan to increase my frequency this month to finish out the quarter strong.
- Cook 48 meals. I need to do one meal a week for the next 4 weeks to stay on pace.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. The basement is both better - and worse - than it was a month ago. I have abandoned some of the spending I planned to do for this party, but I still want it cleaned up and organized by that date. I'm probably going to be hosting my World Cup party upstairs, instead.
- Write a book to self-publish. I got a couple chapters into this and realized I need to finish my MBA before I can give this the time it deserves. On hiatus for now.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Finance:
1.) Make $5500 contribution to ROTH (MIGHT be eligible by about $2k since I forgot I took extra time off between jobs) - 4k down
2.) Max 401k again - On pace
3.) Monthly budget of $1400 for all non-rent expenses (lol @ bad mental health plans) 2 ez but summer will change this
4.) Buy new MacBook Pro upon release as I have no laptop (~$1400) Soon, got a nice bonus that will cover most of it
5.) **If 1 falls through due to bonus** Contribute $5500 to regular brokerage account 3k done!
6.) Contribute $10,000 cash to my down payment account $0!
7.) Contribute $5-10k to regular brokerage account pending ROTH contribution Likely $5k since I am doing roth as well

~FUNANCE~
8.) Buy a little guitar and pod for noodling at my apartment ($500-600) Soon
9.) Upgrade my graphics card ($500) This turned into building a new PC and that's okay since it was covered by my tax check
10.) Take a trip somewhere I have no idea where!!!!

Stretch:
1.) Get a 100% remote dev job

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Almost all on autopilot now:

drainpipe posted:

Whoo, just got into personal finance last year. Gonna give this a shot.

2018 Goals (most of these will be on autopilot):

1. Max 457 On track except for a small hiccup in the first pay period (in January). Considering upping my contributions to account for this.
2. Contribute ~1116k to 403b Same as above. Might end up maxing this if I end up taking on a summer project.
3. Max Roth IRA Done already
4. Max Wife's Roth IRA Done already
5. Look at possibly buying a house this year (20-30% likely) Definitely not this year

Stretch if there is free money left over: add another 5k to house downpayment. Maybe, but likely not

I'll add a professional goal:

Work on a project in a completely different field that what I've done so far. I've done a lot of background reading, but now I need to find something to actually work on. I know someone from a long time ago who is working in this field, but I want to have a project idea before I contact him.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

You were the one that had the huge speeding ticket, right? Like 30 over on the interstate?

It might be a wise investment to take a driving class.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

You were the one that had the huge speeding ticket, right? Like 30 over on the interstate?

It might be a wise investment to take a driving class.

Good insight bae, I'll be sure and take this into consideration moving forward.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Good insight bae, I'll be sure and take this into consideration moving forward.

Like literally a wise investment in the sense that if you get a ticket lawyer to plead your offense down to something lesser and go to traffic school it could save you a ton of money in insurance for several years

Jan 11, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Long time reader, first year poster. Editing a little bit to clarify and operationalize some items. Thank you to all posters in these annual threads as well as the rest of this sub for sharing your goals and successes. I have in many ways patterned my goals and financial life off of the advice and plans set forth in these threads.

State of the Union January 2018:
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes as of last year
-Student loans for both, mine refinanced to 3.5% and hers currently eligible for PSLF and an underserved repayment program
-New house in late 2017, own three properties with three total rental units. Mortgages at 5.0%, 2.6% and 2.9%.
-Almost maxed 2017 403b/401k/solo 401k despite job change and both being ineligible for employer sponsored plans for part of the year
-Boring old US/intl/bond portfolio spread around between taxable and non taxable spaces

2018 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $500k household income, stretch goal $550k. Income here defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends.
Still cruising real good on this front, $600k would not even be impossible and will probably happen if rental and passive income is rolled in
2. Increase NW $250k, stretch $300k. NW here defined as mint account NW inclusive of net real estate and vehicle equity.
Ok now we are positive $20k at the moment, guess we will see what happens
3. Reaccumulate $50k cash after house purchase and 12/31 tax prepayments (thanks Trump)
Practically there
4. 75% of take home, post estimated tax payments to debt reduction, savings, or investments
I looked at my spending and I am not doing so good on this, had sort of a spendy month with food and entertainment then got hit with a bunch of tax bills, professional fees, and insurance premiums, will try to tighten the belt a little bit this month
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present
about to turn the screws on this. I noticed my student loan interest rate ticked up to 4.2% which is making me lean towards paying those off faster. For sure another 0.5% rate increase and I am gonna throw all my money at it ASAP.
6. Max backdoor Roth IRAs
Next on the to-do list
7. Max combination of Solo 401k, 401k, 403b, and mega backdoor Roth
On track
8. Work credit card sign up bonuses and 0% APR periods to maximum advantage, 2017 was a great year for points
Another 0% APR intro rolling for 15 months
9. Attempt to do all travel this year on points or expensed, spend less than $5k cash on travel
So far killing it, tons of points banked and a fresh expense account coming up for the fall
10. Investigate establishing LLCs for rentals and retitling for tax benefits
Verdict: not worth it at this point but may acquire future properties in LLC going forward
11. Investigate converting some or all of my wage income to 1099 income for tax benefits
Probably not possible due to group insurance underwriting
12. Try to increase professional side hustles e.g. consulting, maybe expert witness?
No news but eager and willing, putting in tons of extra hours at work though so all good on the income front at present even without side hustle
13. Consider adding a rental property, cash situation and opportunity providing
Didn't buy house next door. Eyes still out.
13a. Consider consolidating IRAs/403b/Solo 401k to purchase rental property in self directed plan
See above
14. Make appointment with my lawyer to do actual estate planning
Called him but didn't set a date for a real sit down
15. Consider trading toy car for less expensive toy car if I can walk away with cash.
Ready to enjoy the spring!

Non-financial Goals:
16. Work out six days a week consistently
Doing great, perfect month averaged out
16a. Build a cheap gym in my basement to facilitate this goal.
No activity but would like to have something ready for the fall, specifically when daylight savings time changes back over in the fall and ruins my outdoor life for 6 months
17. Run two races after a fat sad zero in 2017
In training, putting in the miles for the first time in a while
18. Make friends in the new neighborhood
Planning to host a housewarming party, still no solid dates
19. Do some improvements to the house and yard, possibly revamp the deck, do some gardening and landscaping
Driveway grading is underway, will try to do some gardening for the spring
20. Try to cook more regularly
Still cooking and enjoying meal kit, money well spent and decreasing weekday eating out
21. Lose 10 lbs as a result of 16 and 20
minus 2 lbs as of this morning
22. Fun splurge for anniversary or birthday at a Michelin star restaurant, location TBD
Wife's birthday Kaiseki reservations are made, currently resisting Alinea or Next on an upcoming trip

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Alinea was extremely, extremely good but I feel like the old way Ko used to sit you was better. I like watching the chefs prepare the food.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

metallicaeg posted:

December '17: $31,981 in credit card debt, spread across 11 accounts.
End of January: $30,607.
End of February: $29,854

End of March: $29,050 or nearabouts
A buyer or company liquidation will come out by mid-April, if I'm reading the notice in the mail correctly from the bankruptcy court.

IllegallySober posted:

Just wanted to say hang in there, dude. :glomp: Any progress is better than no progress and sometimes holding the line is an achievement in itself.
:h:

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Dangerous Mind posted:

Contribute $5,500 to a Roth IRA by April. Done.
Finish saving $12,000 as my 6 month e-fund. Done.
Create a 6 month e-fund for my mom (~$6-8000). Slightly postponed. I plan to contribute $5,500 by end of May or June to my Roth IRA so that my 2018 contributions are maxed.
Possibly refinance my car loan. Will probably do sometime during the summer.
Continue finding ways to lower my mom's monthly expenses since she's living paycheck to paycheck basically and I'm finally making some actual money and have the time and means and knowledge to help her figure things out. Sold her car and cancelled her car insurance. My sister and I are covering the phone bill. We also buy her groceries.

Update on my progress.

If I do things right and there are no unforeseen expenses then I'll have $11K in my Roth IRA by end of May or June. After that, I can go one of multiple ways:

A) Increase 401(k) contribution from my paychecks to ~25-30% for the rest of the year. This would ensure that I contribute the max $18,500 to my 401(k) by the end of 2018. Right now I'm just doing 6% which is the employer match. I would be left with ~$1300-1500 after monthly expenses. I could put this extra money towards building my mom's e-fund.

B) Keep 401(k) contribution at 6%. Use all the extra cash to pay off my car as fast as possible. I'll have $17K left to pay off. I can dump an additional $2-2.5k per month towards the loan and pay it off by January-ish. Right now the loan is at 5% for 64 more payments of $325/mo. So it would be pretty sweet to free up $325/mo.

C) Keep 401(k) contribution at 6%. Don't pay off car faster. Use the additional cash to build up an e-fund for my mom. I share an account with her where I watch her finances so all that additional money would still be in my account.

D) Do a split of B) and C). Do $1k/mo towards my mom's e-fund and $1.5k/mo towards the car loan.

I've still got loads of time to think about what I'll do.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 25, 2018

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of Q1 Update!

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $108.6k
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $13.3k
Increase e-fund from 7.6k to 9.6k: $8.2k
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $660
Pay ~3k out of pocket for college: $931

Slow progress. :(

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
End of Q1 Updates:
Pay off remaining student loans: Done in February
Max Roth IRA Contributions: Still putting in for 2017, so no progress
Get emergency fund to $10k from $8k: Up to $9k
Up 401k Contributions to 5% from 3%: Reading Zaurg thread made me up it to 10%
Start house downpayment fund: Got a whopping $750 set aside
No CC debt: Still going strong

Non Financial goals:
Take a nice vacation somewhere tropical: Just got back from a long weekend in Minneapolis, gf is from Washington state and some friends are going to the PNW in the summer and want us to go with, so we'll probably be doing that, tropical will most likely not happen
get weight back down to 143: Went up a pound this month to 154, need to go to the gym more and eat less (duh)

Mostly happy with my progress. GF and I are thinking of moving to another apartment complex with nicer/new amenities, but everything with similar square footage is like a 25% increase in price at least, and we are looking for more room if anything. I'm now trying to convince GF we should stay here to continue saving, since we pay a pretty low rate for a reasonably sized place with a very short commute for both of us. I think she's starting to get on board

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

Met the credit card payment due to making extra money, budget is still not great. Did not see the inside of a gym or use the rowing machine once. I went ahead and made my own thread because boy howdy do i need a reality check. looking for better results by april 1.

Update! I made my own thread and BFC yelled at me about not gambling while i have a ton of credit card debt and I cut my monthly expenses by a shitload (and was fortunate enough to make extra on the side). I've made significant progress toward paying off CC debt and i expect to have it done by the end of April at the latest--my goal when i first posted in here was "by the end of the year". So... I highly recommend making your own thread if you're stubborn and kind of dumb like me and need a dozen people telling you the same thing to grasp it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

spinst posted:

Increase e-fund from 7.6k to 9.6k: $8.2k
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $660

Why not use your Roth as your e-fund? I started one with the thought that my credit card would be used for the actual emergency, since the Roth would take 3-4 days to hit my account. I kept it in bonds/money market fund until my cash e-fund was better. But that way you have taken advantage of your tax shelter.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why not pay your electricity bill with your cable bill money?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Spokes posted:

Update! I made my own thread and BFC yelled at me about not gambling while i have a ton of credit card debt and I cut my monthly expenses by a shitload (and was fortunate enough to make extra on the side). I've made significant progress toward paying off CC debt and i expect to have it done by the end of April at the latest--my goal when i first posted in here was "by the end of the year". So... I highly recommend making your own thread if you're stubborn and kind of dumb like me and need a dozen people telling you the same thing to grasp it.

You've made incredible progress! Just for the record I wouldn't start gambling again when you don't have credit card debt, unless you want to "gamble" on the rate of return of low cost broadly diversified index funds over several decades.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
End of Q1 update:

DJCobol posted:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,500 - Automatic bi-weekly transfers to accomplish this by the end of the year still in place.
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,450 - Switched to pre-tax contributions instead of post-tax and claiming the credit on my return, but on pace either way.
3) For the first time, max out 401(k) contributions of $18,500 - Got a bonus check and had to adjust my percentage back down to avoid over-contributing, but still on pace to max out this year.
4) Use tax return and/or annual bonus to remodel my bathroom by the end of April - Not gonna happen by April. HVAC is dying a slow death and needs to be replaced first sometime in Q2.
5) Pay down current 5 year $21k car loan - No progress yet. Working on selling my only remaining motorcycle and will toss that money at the car.
6) Vacation somewhere not in North America (Iceland maybe?) - Zurich in April booked, then cancelled due to work conference conflict. Rebooked Munich in August, may cancel that too in favor of Christmas.

Stretch goal: pay off car loan completely by the end of the year - House needs too much work at this point, especially if I want to sell in a couple years. I don't see this happening this year.

Non-financial goal: On pace to lose 70 pounds durning 2017 with 50 of that happening since Labor Day. Combining StrongLifts 5x5, keto diet, and 16:8 intermittent fasting, I hope to lose another 70-100 pounds in 2018.
Losing 1.5 pounds a week so far. Not great, but not terrible either considering I spent roughly 8 weeks so far this year out on the road. I'm hoping that staying at home will let me get back into a regular workout and mealprep routine

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Finance:
1.) Make $5500 contribution to ROTH - Done
2.) Max 401k again - Pace
3.) Monthly budget of $1400 for all non-rent expenses (lol @ bad mental health plans) - Bit off but not concerned yet
4.) Buy new MacBook Pro upon release as I have no laptop (~$1400) - lol Apple
5.) **If 1 falls through due to bonus** Contribute $5500 to regular brokerage account - $3000 here
6.) Contribute $10,000 cash to my down payment account - $0
7.) Contribute $5-10k to regular brokerage account pending ROTH contribution - $3000

~FUNANCE~
8.) Buy a little guitar and pod for noodling at my apartment ($500-600) - Not yet
9.) Upgrade my graphics card ($500) - Done
10.) Take a trip somewhere I have no idea where!!!! - Focused on leaving toxic job atm

Stretch:
1.) Get a 100% remote dev job - Not yet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
woo yea 2018 goals thread

2018 Goals and Q1 update
Increase NW by at least $50,000 Down by $6K or so. Not on track, between wedding/grad school/low cash flow at beginning of year/extra tax money owed
Max 401k and IRA On track
Another $24,000 in to housing downpayment fund not on track right now, extra money has gone to wedding expenses for now
Max future wife IRA - this depends on how much money she makes this summer
Pay for more grad school tuition without taking on debt. so far so good!
Spend no more than $22,500 on acquiring stupid impractical car so far I have spent zero dollars on this effort, so I guess that's a success

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 28, 2018

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

2018 Goals

1. No. New. Debt. Period.
2. Savings: Save $15k in house down payment fund. Starting point: zero.
3. Savings: Maintain a $2k balance in medium term savings at all times.
4. Debt: Pay off my FedLoan balance (6.8% interest, $7500 balance)
5. Debt: Get NelNet loan balance < $10k (4.25% interest, $12,900 balance)

Stretch Goals:
6. Save $20k in house down payment fund
7. Earn some side income

Q1 Update:

1. On track.
2. House downpayment fund currently at $6300.
3. Eh. We're going to Paris, so I'm sure that'll stop real quick.
4. FedLoan balance at $3980.
5. Not much movement other than minimums. $12,600 or so.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Hi Everyone!

So my 2018 really started at the beginning of March, as I was living abroad and dealing with death in the family and other super personal issues.
Mid-February I came back to Canada, with a week-long stopover at Iceland (spent every penny I had left, but it was worth it after the poo poo I had gone through. Most people would flip out on me about being irresponsible, but I have no regrets).

So I wrote down a lot of goals to focus on. I didn't think I would accomplish them all since there are A LOT. Surprinsgly, I have been tackling a lot of them.
I would like to share my goals that are either money focused or need money to accomplished.

Stick To A Budget 3 Months Straight.
1 month of nYNAB going strong. I have two more months of a free trial. I am so proud to actually sticking to YNAB for once.
This month has been a lot fo tracking money. Next month is changing habits.

Pay mom $850 before June 1st.
I am not working so it I don't have a lot of cash. So far I have $100 saved up.

Save $1000.
$100 saved up!
Pay $2000 on my student loans.
This goal hasn't been touched as I am unemployed. However, the government is helping me pay my student loan. So if I can get $2000 saved by the end of the year, I might be able to make a big chunck on my 15K debt.

Buy a new laptop. (mine is 8 years old and on its last legs).
Threw some cash in there. Need to make money to really focus on it.

Go to Iceland again.
A pipe dream.

Get EU passport.
Dealing with legal things... a few bucks for that, but not much for now.

Pitch Doc Idea To IDFA.
A pipe dream...

Save Money for Proper Help.
A pipe dream.

A whole lot of night courses
Finding free courses and grants. Got to apply for them.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Potrzebie posted:

Bought house, final down payment march 2018. Baby #2 May 2018

Goals:

*Not implode economy. So far so good!
We've been at the house for a month now. Still no indications that Grover used to live here. We've managed to stay within a couple of hundred dollars of our old monthly living-in-an-appartment budget. This is with all the costs associated with moving and purchasing+owning the house, so that was nice. We managed to lower our mortgage interest rate to 1.26% while keeping our bank that we like; witch was unexpeted.
*Keep up savings goal of 30% of take home salary. TBA.
Going back to work next week after nine months of parental leave (this btw kicks rear end -go socialist paradise!). I have not been so frugal as to save 30% of my parental allowance check -that would be bonkers.
*Keep growing with company, keep salary growth. Sort of kinda.
Got a 2% raise this year witch is lower than last year but then again I have not been at work for nine months. The company has grown fine without me and a change in management should present opportunities for me to expand my role at the office.
*Move my rear end before I develop total dadbod. If at first you don't succeed try and try again.
Started getting back into swimming but fell off the wagon. I plan on riding the bike to and from work (20km per day) and with a child seat mounted this will actually save me time when dropping off/picking up the kid from kindergarden.

EDIT TO ADD:
*Open tax-advantaged account for baby #2. Save $70 per child per month. This is the most important thing. No kid to do this with yet.
Estimated to arrive early May.
*Find person we like to live in our basement in order to reduce our CoL. After baby is born.
We found a cool site that matches university students with home owners, saving both parties the hassle of vetting and haggling over rent.
*Have nice enough vacation. We plan to go on a road trip this summer

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

2018 Goals that are on Autopilot:
1-Max out retirement plans (I'm just going to lump these together because at this point that's how it feels) On track
2-Max the HSA will do based on how much total I'll save; see below
3-Maintain 529 contributions On track
4-Keep current car to the "breaking point" still going strong

BIG HARIY AUDACIOUS GOALS TIME!!!
5-Buy at least one rental property, preferably small multifamily (aka 2-4 units) It's over 10k saved so far. If I'm on the cusp, I'll delay a bit and finish maxing retirement accounts and/or look at syndication deals
6-Dedicate 10 hours/month to side hustle with best friend On track. It's not fair for me to label this as a side hustle; it's really a hobby. But we're having loads of fun, minimal expenses, and some day there may be some sort of revenue
7-NON FINANCIAL: Dedicate an average of 1 hour/day to exercise Started to drift away the past week due to work, but with a vacation coming up I should right the ship
8-NON-FINANCIAL: Read an average of at least 1 book per month (superstretch: 1 per week)meeting the superstretch so far :woop:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

March was an uneventful month, but also a very successful one. Doesn't make for an exciting update, but it is what progress is made of. Update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

2018 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT - On track
2) If company situation continues to deteriorate, switch career from Software QA to Software Dev - Short term (Sr QA promotion): 3 weeks ago, I sent in my eval (a necessary step for promotion). I've been told a promotion is in progress, but haven't heard anything else. The company is in transition, and also dysfunctional, so I don't think they're leading me on, just dumb. I'm hopeful I'll see some action this month. Mid-term (dev transition): I finished the dev class I started last month, learned a ton, and am feeling very good about the dev transition. Probably later this year, but the company situation will dictate timing.
3) Bring emergency fund up to $19k - On track, at $14.4k now.
4) Max out Roth IRAs - Autopilot
5) Max both our 401(k)s - Still on track to max both. The promotion would give some breathing room here.
6) Increase NW to $215k/~50% savings rate - Haven't updated retirement balances, but I'd estimate NW is around $161k. Basically on track, although volatility in the market will make this interesting. More importantly, savings rate is on track.
7) Lose 10 pounds and keep it off - Great month here, down at least 7 of the 10 pounds I want to lose, maybe closer to 9. Very likely going to update this goal to 15, but we'll see when we get there. I haven't been able to run all month due to the injury I mentioned in the last post, so the 1Q 10k didn't happen, but that's out of my control and I don't feel too bad about it.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career (emphasis on house maintenance this year). On track. Got a plumbing book from the library and replaced some leaky faucets. Baby steps, but I enjoyed it!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 31, 2018

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

DrNewton posted:

Hi Everyone!

So my 2018 really started at the beginning of March...

I'm joining this club, but just because I didn't get my poo poo together until I paid taxes.

1. Foundation: Figure out my net worth
2. Foundation: Create and reconcile monthly budgets
3. Saving: Save up my 2019 IRA contribution
4. Saving: Increase net worth by 25k
4a. Saving: Start house fund with 10k
5. Good spending: Go on a week-long trip to Germany with my partner
6. Good spending: Fix my teeth
7. Foundation: Stop loving around with work reimbursements

Not money stuff
8. Building: Publish skill workshops on YouTube channel as a first step to offering conference workshops
9. Building: Practice Turkish and German daily
9. Building: Bench press body weight

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mar update

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k plus whatever I get from my tax return 2k saved for march but 1500 behind YTD.
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work Performance reviews are written - I haven't seen mine yet but I'm pretty confident I'll get the recommendation.
3) Read a book every month Done.
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week Calling this technically done since I was really ill for a week and couldn't do anything.
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week. Calling this one not met. since I missed a couple days on a work trip. That said, I had super disciplined eating on the work trip and was able to work out harder than normal. Came back weighing a few pounds less and wore some pants that haven't fit for a year, so it's happening :woop:

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm and go on a hunting trip. Bought my hunting license so the po-po won't catch me riding ranging dirty. No backpacking yet since second winter is only just passing.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

March update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs Done - thanks to a larger-than-expected tax return.
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 (once he's born)
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer People have actually stayed the night in the basement and didn't want to go to a hotel immediately. I call that a positive. Need more carpet remnants.
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one Things are getting better, so I'm going to table this decision. In any case, starting a new job 6 weeks before having a baby is not ideal for any party involved, and I imagine the insurance headaches would not be worth my time.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I'm joining this club of starting 2018 later on ....

Welcome! It is never too late and you will be surprised what you can do in 9 months. :3

Jan 11, 2004
End of Q1 Update:

Long time reader, first year poster. Editing a little bit to clarify and operationalize some items. Thank you to all posters in these annual threads as well as the rest of this sub for sharing your goals and successes. I have in many ways patterned my goals and financial life off of the advice and plans set forth in these threads.

State of the Union January 2018:
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes as of last year
-Student loans for both, mine refinanced to 3.5% and hers currently eligible for PSLF and an underserved repayment program
Interest rate on loans went way up due to increases in LIBOR. Good news is I was able to re-refinance to 3.0% on a shorter term for >$3k interest savings this year
-New house in late 2017, own three properties with three total rental units. Mortgages at 5.0%, 2.6% and 2.9%.
-Almost maxed 2017 403b/401k/solo 401k despite job change and both being ineligible for employer sponsored plans for part of the year
-Boring old US/intl/bond portfolio spread around between taxable and non taxable spaces

2018 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $500k household income, stretch goal $550k. Income here defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends.
Still running great and on track to stretch
2. Increase NW $250k, stretch $300k. NW here defined as mint account NW inclusive of net real estate and vehicle equity.
+$43k after another day in the market shitter :shrug:
3. Reaccumulate $50k cash after house purchase and 12/31 tax prepayments (thanks Trump)
Done
4. 75% of take home, post estimated tax payments to debt reduction, savings, or investments
Finished the quarter at 65%. The calculation for savings is (Take home pay - estimated taxes + rental cash flow + debt and mortgage principal - net spending)/(Take home pay - estimated taxes + rental cash flow + debt and mortgage principal)
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present
As above, re-refinanced student loans back down to 3.0% so will be back to splitting extra money between taxable brokerage and loans
6. Max backdoor Roth IRAs
Done
7. Max combination of Solo 401k, 401k, 403b, and mega backdoor Roth
On track
8. Work credit card sign up bonuses and 0% APR periods to maximum advantage, 2017 was a great year for points
Another 0% APR intro rolling for 15 months
9. Attempt to do all travel this year on points or expensed, spend less than $5k cash on travel
Still sitting on points and expense account, BUT decided to book a big family vacation for my dad's 65th birthday. Budget will be blown.
10. Investigate establishing LLCs for rentals and retitling for tax benefits
Verdict: not worth it at this point but may acquire future properties in LLC going forward
11. Investigate converting some or all of my wage income to 1099 income for tax benefits
Probably not possible due to group insurance underwriting
12. Try to increase professional side hustles e.g. consulting, maybe expert witness?
No news but eager and willing, putting in tons of extra hours at work though so all good on the income front at present even without side hustle
13. Consider adding a rental property, cash situation and opportunity providing
Didn't buy anything. Eyes still out.
13a. Consider consolidating IRAs/403b/Solo 401k to purchase rental property in self directed plan
See above
14. Make appointment with my lawyer to do actual estate planning
Called him but still haven't set a date for a real sit down
15. Consider trading toy car for less expensive toy car if I can walk away with cash.
Not gonna do it right now

Non-financial Goals:
16. Work out six days a week consistently
Doing great, again, missed one week while traveling but made it up with tons of walking
16a. Build a cheap gym in my basement to facilitate this goal.
No activity but would like to have something ready for the fall, specifically when daylight savings time changes back over in the fall and ruins my outdoor life for 6 months
17. Run two races after a fat sad zero in 2017
Race #1 at the end of the month
18. Make friends in the new neighborhood
Still planning to host a housewarming party, still no solid dates
19. Do some improvements to the house and yard, possibly revamp the deck, do some gardening and landscaping
First contractor stole my money and disappeared, SAD, disputed the transaction and got my money back but had to hire a new contractor so just this week the plot is graded and gravel is set to do down
20. Try to cook more regularly
Still cooking and enjoying meal kit, money well spent and decreasing weekday eating out
21. Lose 10 lbs as a result of 16 and 20
minus 3 lbs as of this morning
22. Fun splurge for anniversary or birthday at a Michelin star restaurant, location TBD
Wife's birthday Kaiseki reservations are made, resisted Alinea but went to Sixteen for lunch and bought my wife Hamilton tickets for her birthday

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

End of Q1 Update:

Great progress. You missed a great restaurant at Alinea, we had a blast - it's probably a close second best meal I've ever had. Is there an actual restaurant called Kaiseki? I've heard of n/naka obviously but I didn't know anyone had the audacity to call themselves Kaiseki yet.

I'll post our updates later today.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Quarter 1 is in the books:
- Pay remainder MBA tuition in full. Education money applied, and then remainder tuition paid in full. Degree to be collected May 11.
- Begin a taxable investment account. Begun and funded.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness. PSLF approved, a little more than 60 payments remain.
EF to be replaced by Q2.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth. Sometime in Q2
- Acquire MBA. May 11!

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. We've started talking about this one a lot more, and I think this is the right timeline.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. This happens automatically.
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to.

Yearly Stretch Professional Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. No sign of this upcoming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. On hiatus for now.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, uncertain of the timeline.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. This project continues on pace. I can do 7 strict ring dips and 7 strict ring pull-ups and am working on negatives.
- Thirty (30) new books read. 15 new books read at this point, I'm going to crush this goal. I'm officially bumping it to 45 books this year.
- Rower used 100 times I've only been on it 15 times at this point, so I'm a bit behind for my schedule. Probably going to drop this to 50 times on the year, as I'm on track to go to CrossFit like 200 times instead.
- Cook 48 meals. I cooked like 15 or 16 meals in Q1.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. Got a cheap, high quality foosball table from a buddy, and the "my office" portion of our basement is complete. Working on the rest.
- Write a book to self-publish. I got a couple chapters into this and realized I need to finish my MBA before I can give this the time it deserves. On hiatus for now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

Degree to be collected May 11.

Congratulations!

Subjunctive posted:

Welp. Have been on unpaid leave since Feb 1, so things are a little off the rails.

First time doing these, but I could definitely stand to be more structured about how I approach my finances.

Goals:

- increase monthly charity to 10% of net (currently about 5%); would like to get to 20% but baby steps and have to solve a cash flow issue currently way over, because net is zero, but at 10% of old-net even though I’m living on savings and investment income
- purchase condo for my sister to rent hard to get a mortgage with no salary income, and I don’t want to go that deep into investments
- get will and trust for my kid set up nope, and I worry about it all the time
- fix years of messed up tax stuff so close! waiting for one IRS adjudication and I think I’m good
- renovate bathroom want to do this before girlfriend and her kid move in, but it’s not strictly necessary
- structure consulting business properly progress, but not complete

Liabilities:
- $100K investment loan for work, will increase to up to $350K over next 5 years
- commitment to donate $500K over 10 years to a college (not legally binding at this point but still) commitment is legally binding, and the first scholarship has been designed

Assets:
- House appraised at $1.7M likely closer to $2.1 based on a few comps on my street
- Car blue book of $130K
- combined taxable and sheltered investments of $2.2M roughly the same after tax nonsense

Income:
- salary $350K, $175K paid in spousal and child support ex-wife volunteered for a few months of no support while I’m on leave, which is a huge help. huge.
- unpredictable consulting income, unlikely to exceed $100K in 2018
- carried interest from our funds, don’t know how to estimate how much and when

(All in CAD.)

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I din't know this thread existed, so here are my 2018 goals + Q1 progress.

I’m 37, married, and have 3.5 year old son, and a daughter due in August. We have hint finances. I work in biotech in the Boston area, and my wife is currently at home with our son (she’ll probably start looking sometime in 2019). Lats summer I went from an academic post-doc job to biotech with a >2X increase in base salary before. Our current focus is on saving. I’m prioritizing increased retirement contributions, and saving for a downpayment for a house. I have a lot of goals this year other than just saving. In addition to the higher income there are a lot of new aspects to a corporate job that require consideration, and there are a few inefficiencies that could be optimized.

1) Max my 401k.
-On track, $6645 as of the end of Q1. I’m ahead of schedule because of a contribution from my bonus. Because of the bonus I reduced my contribution by 1%, and should hit the max on the second to last paycheck of the year. Sometime in Feb/March 2019 my company will provide a match for the last paycheck.

2) Contribute $250/month each to both Roth IRAs.
-On track. Auto-transfers to Vanguard set up. I’ll probably also transfer additional funds in over the course of the year.

3) Contribute $250/month to both savings accounts.
-On track. Auto-transfers set up. Funds above 6 months of expenses are earmarked for downpayment.

4) Save $50,0000 in retirement/downpayment accounts (including 401k employer match).
-On track-ish $18,860. Most of my bonus (unfortunately prorated for the 6 months I was at the company) was transferred. I’m currently ahead of schedule, but with current 401K, Roth, and savings contributions we’ll fall $5900 short of this number. There should be some additional irregular transfers to make up the shortfall (two 3 paycheck months, ESPP, excess accumulation in checking, etc).

5) Start automatic transfer to son's 529.
-I transferred $200 manually in Jan & Feb, and started automatic transfers of $200 in April. Other regular sources of contributions: $50 a month from my parents, and the required yearly distributions from a Roth inherited from my grandmother. For estate reasons the account is in my mom’s name, so the distributions amounts are for someone in their late 60s. With the markets the last few years the Roth balance is $5K higher than when I inherited the account.

6) Open 529 and start automatic transfers for 529 #2
-Pending

7) Decide on strategy for holding shares of my company’s stock.
I have two sources of shares. 1) An annual RSU stock bonus, with a 3 year vesting schedule (1/3 vests per year). My first 1/3 will vest in Feb 19, and by 2021 a roughly consistent amount should be vesting per year. 2) A discounted (15% discount on lower of closing price of first/last days of the quarter). I feel like the unvested RSUs are enough risk-wise for me. I’m currently contributing 3% to the ESPP.
-My plan is to contribute the max to the ESPP (10%), and sell shares as soon as I get them. The one risk here is a significant price drop in the 2-3 days when the price is set and the shares appear in my account. The proceeds from the previous quarter’s sale will be used to float any budget shortfalls from the decrease in net paycheck. I’m locked into 3% for Q2, and will switch over to 10% for Q3.
-BFC advice on this strategy?

8) Transfer CD Roth to Vanguard Roth.
My dad’s mom did a pre-inheritance thing for people in the family several years ago by maxing Roth IRAs for 4 years. Luckily this before I’d opened a Roth at Vanguard. My grandparents came out of the depression with an aversion to the stock market, so the money ($23K) has been sitting in a CD. My grandmother is a bit of a control freak, so I didn’t know, or have account info until a couple of years ago. I should just think of this as a 23k inheritance, and not think about the lost gains in the market.
- No progress. I've been putting this off because of the hassle.

9) Think about reducing my cash position (related to #8)
We currently have about 12 months of expenses in a downpayment/emergency fund split between our two ”high" yield savings accounts. Half of that is mentally earmarked for a downpayment. The rest of the downpayment fund is sitting in a long-term taxable brokerage account. If we hope to buy in ~1 year then cash might be a better option, if not I might redirect auto transfers from savings to the brokerage.
-BFC advice?

10) Decide on action on pension
I have a small pension through the university where I was a post-doc. This would be ~$300/month at 67, or ~$500/month at 70. About a year ago I got a letter saying that I was eligible to withdraw. The balance is ~$14K. I don’t really have any worries about the pension fund going broke. I’m not sure what the best action is.
-BFC Advice?

11) Contribute up to OoP Max for HSA
-First year contributing to an HSA. On track. $1000 contributed by employer, and paycheck deductions to get me to the $5000 cap. I’m assuming that we’ll approach or hit the OoP max this year ($3000 deductible, $2000 worth of 10% coinsurance). I’ve been going to regular PT appointments (see below), and we’ll have pregnancy and birth related expenses. If so we’re probably at a breakeven for the EPO plan + co-pays. This is financially the correct move, but the waits for bills, and the inability of any provider to actually give a price is frustrating.

12) Consider car purchase.
-We have a 7-y.o. low-mileage 2010 Honda Fit that has fit our needs so far. When we bought the car my intention was to drive it for as long as possible. However, as our son has gotten bigger it’s feeling cramped, and will feel very cramped for me once we have to slide the drivers seat forward to accommodate a second car seat. Plus the 2010 Fit fails the small overlap crash test, so increased safety would be a plus. Neither of us like the styling of sedans. We're considering an HR-V, but still need to do some research. This is a maybe.

13) Perform at my job, learn new skills, be recognized. Work towards promotion.
-On track, last year’s performance review was good, and I’ve gotten positive feedback from my manager so far this year. I haven’t been here long enough for a near term promotion, but want to have a track record that justifies it down the line.

Personal Goals:
1) Get healthy, start running again, get back my cancer patient running physique.
I was averaging about 45 miles per week for a couple of years. This fall I came down with plantar fasciitis, and haven't run since November. I'm registered for the Boston and Chicago marathons this year. I'll have to skip Boston, but I'm hopeful for Chicago. The physique isn't that important, I just miss the runner’s high.
- Going to PT regularly

2) Enjoy my paternity leave.
We get 4 weeks of fully paid paternity leave. Wrap up all of the projects that can be wrapped up before leave, plan with an associate scientist to ensure longer term projects that need attention will be taken care of, organize long-term project plans to facilitate an easy transition back to work. No computational analyses, Check work email at most once a week.
-Pending

3) Work/Life balance. Use all 20 vacation days. These are use it or lose it.
- 0 so far

4) Limit my splurge purchases to a used DSLR.
My 7D broke, and Canon wants more than it's worth to fix it. Look into upgrading to a used better performing model.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

End of Q1 Update:

IllegallySober posted:

I'm a couple days late on starting my 2018 goals but no less motivated. :) I'm going to post the overall goals as a first draft for now and will edit in more detailed plans to accomplish them later this week.

2018 Goals

1. Pay off $11,144.12 in credit card debt which will make me debt-free. This is a returning goal from 2017; I didn't have a very good year income-wise in 2017 and lost my roommates as well in November which tripled my rent so there's some work to do just to stay afloat in the short-term. I don't want new roommates right now so I need to increase income to match as well as pay off the last of my debt from years ago (this credit card).

2. Related to the above, do not add any new consumer debt. I want to stay debt-free, so no new car purchases, credit cards, etc. The only possible exception would be if every other goal is hit and I wind up in position to purchase a home somehow in 2018. I do not expect this to happen.

3. Max out IRA contributions. I have both a traditional and a Roth but have never come close to maxing either and need to start. 34 is too old to not be doing this every year.

4. Lose 20 pounds and maintain a weight of 170 pounds and body fat percentage of 18% or less.

5. Related to #4, no alcohol in 2018 until I reach 170 pounds.

6. Spend less than $3,000 total between restaurants and bar expenses for 2018.

7. Increase officiating income (income stream #2) to $4,000 in 2018. This would be an increase of around $750 over 2017 and just requires me to work a few more games this year.

8. Create a third income stream that provides a minimum of $10,000 in 2018. Details to follow here.

Stretch Goals

9. Save a minimum of $10,000 towards a down payment on a house.

10. Increase total combined income to $100,000 via a main job change. I make far less than I deserve and I need to look into what groundwork I need to lay to drastically increase my income and prepare for a career change.

1. No significant progress in March. Ended March at a balance of $11,076.31. This has changed for April- see below!

2. On-track so far- nothing added. :)

3. IRA contributions through Q1 total $225 ($75/month auto-withdrawn). Plan to revisit this shortly.

4. Have gotten behind here- hurt my back in March and not only had to stop working out temporarily, but also ate poorly as well. This is an April focus for me.

5. Have had an occasional drink here and there over the first three months of the year, so I've relaxed this goal somewhat. That said, it's been minimal and I intend to get back on this track in April as well.

6. Don't have the year-total handy at the moment so will edit this in later. I think I'm slightly over the limit here.

7. This will be a fall goal, but laying the groundwork for it by working small-college scrimmages.

8. I've returned to my old real estate team as a second full-time (ish) job, so this is on track (officiating is the third of the three)

9. No progress yet.

10. I've moved as of last weekend to be closer to my current job, and am putting out feelers and resumes to other opportunities in the area. Will continue to keep working on this.

April spoilers:

(I found out mid-March that my father had some assets that went unclaimed after his passing two years ago. Long story short- I got a check from the state for a little over $13,000 last Friday. Today, I paid off my credit card completely so goal #1 is met and I'm debt-free for the first time in about eight years with some additional money set aside for potential taxes/emergency fund, even though both the state and my CPA say I shouldn't owe taxes on this money.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

!! Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Subjunctive posted:

!! Congratulations!

Thanks! It's been a long, long road. About five years ago I was $66K deep between student loans, credit card, car payments, personal loan, etc etc and I've been chipping away for quite a while. I was obviously fortunate to get this windfall at the end but there was a lot of work involved before it.

Now, to never be in that place ever again. :)