Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
drat. I liked P5 a lot, but if y'all are saying Berseria is somehow better I guess I'd better give it a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished MGS 4 but it's still going

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, whatever. I'm far too loving depressed today to have a discussion where I'm not sure who actually just wants to talk and who wants to totally own my opinion on video games. I said my piece and I still think Berseria is a good game that's worth playing.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I am going to play Berseria tonight

Edit:

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished MGS 4 but it's still going

Sounds about right. Free post credit movie
2-3 hours :v:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

glam rock hamhock posted:

mainly involved running forward through enemies that seem to be placed without any thought put into it and puzzles that usually involve running back and forth across the map to hit switches and that's not even getting into some of the post game stuff.

Wait are you talking about P5 or Berseria here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 5 doesn't have any post-game stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the post-game in berseria sucks but like, it's just an extra dungeon with a cutscene at the end you can google

It's just the constant discussions the women get into about housework and how passionate they are about it, the discussions about what good wives either Velvet or Elenore would be and just sort of the general sense that part of the tragedy of the game is Velvet was forced away from her dream of always staying her home town and taking care of her family.

i don't even know how to respond to this because your argument for it being sexist is that velvet and eleanor enjoy things and don't want to live totally hosed up lives, and eizen and rokurou compliment them in a few skits. there's certainly media that gets weird about this stuff but, i don't think it's as much of a constant in berseria as your making it out to be

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there a way to change the main character's outfit in berseria that is like the main reason I haven't tried it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I mean, half the reason I play persona games is for that poo poo :shrug:

In Training posted:

it would be a dungeon crawler, which is a genre that exists. but i play persona for all that stuff, smt is what youre looking for if you want a "gameplay only" option

no no no. i'm only referring to the fact that roughly 10 of the 70 hours i have in P5 consists of me staring at the loading screen because the game goes "okay loading screen... for a 30 second conversation with your cat that just amounts to hey remember this plot point... now loading screen again... now a 10 second conversation from one of your friends inviting you somewhere... now loading screen... now calendar screen... now loading screen... now subway/school scene where people are saying the same rumors you've heard 20 times already... now loading screen..." etc

the social link stuff is "gameplay", i would never want to axe that. but an option to limit the sheer number of pointless screens would literally shave 10-20 hours off and that's kind of a big deal if you don't have time to play games all day every day or you want to play lots of games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is there a way to change the main character's outfit in berseria that is like the main reason I haven't tried it

you get the option to change her default outfit like the moment you get it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dressup is the real endgame for Berseria. Moving all the attachments around, changing their size and positioning.

The most underrated system in Tales games imo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Good because every time I see it I can only imagine how much the japanese artist rubbed his dick raw after finishing the design

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

you get the option to change her default outfit like the moment you get it

The serving outfit is canon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

no no no. i'm only referring to the fact that roughly 10 of the 70 hours i have in P5 consists of me staring at the loading screen because the game goes "okay loading screen... for a 30 second conversation with your cat that just amounts to hey remember this plot point... now loading screen again... now a 10 second conversation from one of your friends inviting you somewhere... now loading screen... now calendar screen... now loading screen... now subway/school scene where people are saying the same rumors you've heard 20 times already... now loading screen..." etc

the social link stuff is "gameplay", i would never want to axe that. but an option to limit the sheer number of pointless screens would literally shave 10-20 hours off and that's kind of a big deal if you don't have time to play games all day every day or you want to play lots of games

Hey, the game tells you to "take your time" :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah you don't just have to play as a sexy goth girl, you can also be a sexy maid, a sexy pirate, etc.

There are allegedly some non-sexy costume options as well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Good because every time I see it I can only imagine how much the japanese artist rubbed his dick raw after finishing the design

the person who designed velvet's outfit is a woman

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah you don't just have to play as a sexy goth girl, you can also be a sexy maid, a sexy pirate, etc.

There are allegedly some non-sexy costume options as well.

the pirate outfit isn't even sexy, it's literally just a pirate outfit, and you literally get to wear a regular village outfit again the moment you unlock velvet's default outfit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hey, the game tells you to "take your time" :v:

Yeah it's not a suggestion, it's an order

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

the post-game in berseria sucks but like, it's just an extra dungeon with a cutscene at the end you can google

i don't even know how to respond to this because your argument for it being sexist is that velvet and eleanor enjoy things and don't want to live totally hosed up lives, and eizen and rokurou compliment them in a few skits. there's certainly media that gets weird about this stuff but, i don't think it's as much of a constant in berseria as your making it out to be

Well I mean, I'm not saying it's a huge thing in a game but the other side is pretty much arguing that P5 is "you gently caress your little sister and your teacher and also hate gays: the game".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i know :negative:

i will give the game this, it absolutely nails how confusing, maze-like and obtuse it is to navigate tokyo subways and shopping areas

also Sae is bae, if i date Makoto in NG+ when i'm smart enough it'll just be to get to her sister :wink:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Well I mean, I'm not saying it's a huge thing in a game but the other side is pretty much arguing that P5 is "you gently caress your little sister and your teacher and also hate gays: the game".

i think it's more fair to dunk on the gay thing in p5 when those characters are literally modeled after a japanese gay comedy duo who pushed back against stereotyping gay people in comedy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

:magical:

I don't think I'll be doing anything indie any time soon, if I'm honest, unfortunately. Not for my income, anyway.

Time for us to team up and make a cool rpgmaker game to put on steam then.

We can call it Legendary Chronicles: Super Star Origins

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hey hey

loving your teacher is optional :j:

also there's only one gay panic scene but woooooooooof it is a bad one

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the person who designed velvet's outfit is a woman

Okay her vagina raw

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The last 2 pages are a great reminder of why I stay away from anime.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

i think it's more fair to dunk on the gay thing in p5 when those characters are literally modeled after a japanese gay comedy duo who pushed back against stereotyping gay people in comedy

i think it's also fair because the central thesis of the entire persona series is "be who you really are, gently caress the haters, and also the cops"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

i think it's also fair because the central thesis of the entire persona series is "be who you really are, gently caress the haters, and also the cops"

it's actually that cops are good now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

berseria owns

but let's be real the dungeons are really bad. i'd rather have symphonia's dungeons

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

hey hey

loving your teacher is optional :j:

also there's only one gay panic scene but woooooooooof it is a bad one

Actually there are two gay panic scenes.

I'm not defending those scenes and I'm not really defending any of the creepy poo poo in P5, I just thought it was still and overall pretty small part of the whole experience and while I don't the Berseria comes even close to hitting those heights of uncomfortable badness, I still wasn't a game that was entirely free of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

berseria owns

but let's be real the dungeons are really bad. i'd rather have symphonia's dungeons

Why? God, why would anyone want this?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

berseria owns

symphonia's dungeons also suck rear end, insanely slow tedious puzzles and corridors where it's impossible to dodge enemies. abyss' are fine though

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yeah I do that alot too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why? God, why would anyone want this?

Because you actually do things besides running through corridors

The shadow temple and elf forest suck rear end but I'd rather do something dumb than nothing at all. Almost all of berseria's dungeons follow the same template of hallway-enemy filled room-hallway

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Berseria is a game that made me yearn for random enemy encounters over the way they had it set up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

Because you actually do things besides running through corridors

The shadow temple and elf forest suck rear end but I'd rather do something dumb than nothing at all. Almost all of berseria's dungeons follow the same template of hallway-enemy filled room-hallway

I'd rather watch paint dry than do Symphonias dungeons

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I heard the artist that designed boxers mario actually drowned in his own cum

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'd rather watch paint dry than do Symphonias dungeons

I mean overall I'd also rather play Berseria. The innocent child character has more personality than symphonia's cast put together

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also US goons today has been pretty poo poo but I hope everyone's doing okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finally finished MGS 4 after first starting it when it originally came out, it was, uh.... Interesting.

• Locked thread