Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
December it always a pretty slwo month but here's what's coming out
Doom VFR PSVR, Vive December 1
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch December 1
Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package PS4 December 5
Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris PS4, Xbox One, PC December 5
Steep - Road to the Olympics PS4, Xbox One, PC December 5
Bravo Team PSVR December 6
Hello Neighbor Xbox One, PC December 8
Loco Roco 2 Remastered PS4 December 9
The End Is Nigh Switch December 12
Fallout 4 VR Vive December 12
Okami HD PS4, Xbox One, PC December 12
Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition PS4, Xbox One, PC December 12
Tiny Metal PS4, PC, Switch December 21

and probably some other crap like some new stuff for FF15 and the Monster Hunter beta.

also

So Merry Switchmas
Happy X-bonukkah one X
and some third even more forced pun involving Playstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Poops Mcgoots posted:

My goty is all the games. Every last one, cause games are good.

Even Mass Effect Andromeda?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgdBaNTiaCc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

So something I didn't realize in this trailer before: I think instead of simply having the teacher tell Mei what the constellations are, I think we're gonna get to play through those. Which is pretty cool.

I'm absolutely gonna get this, I wanted a reason to replay through the game again

FYI, it's a free update if you already have the game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say that while Berseria is good, it certainly doesn't come even close to Persona 5

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get behind a world view where Berseria is even close to as good as P5. Berseria is really good and Persona 5 has some problems but at the end of the day it's just not even close.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Why is it not even close?

I find Persona 5's combat to pretty much be perfection of the turned based combat while Berseria's, while fun, is kind of mashy, provides bad feedback and has mechanics that just don't seem to consistently come out properly. While I know some people had mixed feeling about some of them I pretty much loved all of the main dungeons in P5 and even enjoyed the randomly generated one and would still take that over the sort of haphazard feeling maps of Berseria which mainly involved running forward through enemies that seem to be placed without any thought put into it and puzzles that usually involve running back and forth across the map to hit switches and that's not even getting into some of the post game stuff. Also, I know that some people hate or get bored with the social stuff in P5 but I've always loved that aspect of the series and this is that stuff at it's peak.

While it can be argued that the story in P5 has an inane message that is mishandled at times, I still prefer a story about kids rising up against an older generation that is simultaneously disrespecting and screwing them over to one that is basically about how free will is good and mainly seems to be a reaction to how bad the plot was in a previous game. Also I thought the Berseria kind of lost steam at the end of it's story, while P5, unlike the previous games in the series, actually had a pretty great end game where a bunch of stuff came together in a satisfying way. Yes you can complain about the creepy relationship stuff in P5 but that stuff is pretty easy to not do if you don't want to be creepy. It's not like Berseria also doesn't have weirdness with the relationship between the malakhim and the people they're tied to and just general weird anime sexism poo poo throughout. I can't argue that P5 isn't worse in this regard but it just never became even close to a dealbreaker.

Then just on a more superficial level of graphics and sounds P5 just destroys Berseria but I don't think is arguing that point. Other than that I like the cast of both games about the same and yes I can't excuse the gay panic bs in P5 but it's also like two brief scenes in a 100 hour game, so it still just didn't get in the way of my enjoyment that much

And yes I don't know why I bothered writing all that up because it's just gonna be snarkily dismissed but this is just how I feel about it. I enjoyed Berseria but in comparing it to P5 it's not even a contest for me.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 2, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

uh what

a major thing in berseria's plot is dudes loving over women, eizen and rokurou share some jokes but they're also assholes who get drunk as poo poo together

It's just the constant discussions the women get into about housework and how passionate they are about it, the discussions about what good wives either Velvet or Elenore would be and just sort of the general sense that part of the tragedy of the game is Velvet was forced away from her dream of always staying her home town and taking care of her family.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

imagine how much better Persona 5 would be without the absolute mountain of interstitial loading screens/short convos/classroom scenes/all that bullshit

like it's a great game but seriously imagine being able to turn off "everything but when you're letting me play the game" :stare:

I mean, half the reason I play persona games is for that poo poo :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, whatever. I'm far too loving depressed today to have a discussion where I'm not sure who actually just wants to talk and who wants to totally own my opinion on video games. I said my piece and I still think Berseria is a good game that's worth playing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

the post-game in berseria sucks but like, it's just an extra dungeon with a cutscene at the end you can google

i don't even know how to respond to this because your argument for it being sexist is that velvet and eleanor enjoy things and don't want to live totally hosed up lives, and eizen and rokurou compliment them in a few skits. there's certainly media that gets weird about this stuff but, i don't think it's as much of a constant in berseria as your making it out to be

Well I mean, I'm not saying it's a huge thing in a game but the other side is pretty much arguing that P5 is "you gently caress your little sister and your teacher and also hate gays: the game".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

hey hey

loving your teacher is optional :j:

also there's only one gay panic scene but woooooooooof it is a bad one

Actually there are two gay panic scenes.

I'm not defending those scenes and I'm not really defending any of the creepy poo poo in P5, I just thought it was still and overall pretty small part of the whole experience and while I don't the Berseria comes even close to hitting those heights of uncomfortable badness, I still wasn't a game that was entirely free of that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Berseria is a game that made me yearn for random enemy encounters over the way they had it set up.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo! I just got a message from Sony saying I'll be getting a refund for my Marvel Heroes purchases. I didn't even ask because everyone was getting stonewalled by them and write it off as a loss but it looks like they actually did the right thing! Finally some not awful news today.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny I literally stumbled across this cartoon today that is pretty relevant to the discussion right down to the "she's a seductress thing!". (minorly :nws: I guess)
https://medium.com/the-nib/totally-practical-super-lady-costumes-e8c90e27b8ad

I honestly don't mind the costumes in Berseria that much. I think Velvet's is a little much but it fits her and you can change it. It's also hard to complain because I really like Magilou's outfit, which is objectively much dumber (though also in character). These days with anime games I'm just glad if it's not full of constant jiggle and upskirts, which skeeves me out way worse than even the worst jrpg outfits.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Kojima lives to troll

I thought the main reason he designed Quiet like that was less to troll and more because he wanted to see girls cosplay in that outfit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think in Dragon's Crown it really is easy to argue that the characters, other than the elf and the mage, are pretty exaggerated versions of those characters. Yes the women are more overtly sexualized but that is also the way those type of characters always are, just not quite as extreme.

I'm not saying it's not sort of embarrassing (especially some of the mid level NPCs) but it's more in way where it's like classic dnd designs that are refusing to pretend to be anything respectable

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Wasn't that the exact same reason Yoko Taro gave for 2B?

With 2B it's weird because I think her outfit is fine but the many ways the game tries to look up her skirt is probably my least favorite part if the game. Like in the original Kaine was dressed way worse but I thought they actually justified it as well as they could so it never felt as outright skeevy.

Zero's outfit in Drakengard 3 is pretty cool though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I'm looking this up

Edit: :lol:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like bad metal and have no love for this song but this is incredible on how bad this is on every possible level

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the earliest cover song I can remember a video game had made specifically made specifically for it (not including chip tune stuff like Maximum Carnage ripping off a Black Sabbath song) is probably this for the Spider-man 2 game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw6heg16obs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the original Nier's shortcomings distract from how truly exceptional it is at the things it does well. On paper you'd think that just getting someone who was better at handling the gameplay and graphical side of things while still retaining Taro would make an automatically better game but even for Taro it is a hard thing to capture the things that made Nier stand out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Both Niers were great, if Automata doesn't live up to the original it's only because that was a once in a decade game. And the actual game part of Automata is still much better.

Agreed. The thing is that the things that Automata does well are not really unique and are done better elsewhere while what Nier does well is entirely it's own thing.

That being said, as I've previously indicated, I still quite like Automata's gameplay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It apparently concludes the series and explains way more than you'd expect it to. The fact he chose to give the ending away indicates he's probably done with it.

I have an odd fondness for the Five Nights Series. I'd never play one because they all seem real bad but I just love how goofy the whole concept is, how the series doesn't really let that concept down and how he actually does change up the admittedly never very good gameplay with every new game. It's a poo poo game but I could never be mad at it's success.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/938017650424401921?s=17

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also a game made by one guy, leaning into and embracing his limitations. And like Final Fantasy, if it didn't work it would have been the end of his game career. Have to love an underdog story like that.

It's also a story born out of people brutally making fun of one of his games, this driving him into a deep depression, him pulling himself out of it and looking at the criticisms and making something from it.

Unrelated, Dragon's Crown Pro has been confirmed for a Spring release in the west for those that might actually care.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

what was the fnaf thing that was so bad he refunded it

He made a spinoff RPG that was really bad. But he admitted it was bad, pulled it, refunded everyone no matter how much they had played, worked on fixing it and then released it for free.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I wish the FNAF guy well but I also wish the Game Theory guy would stop making videos about it, and in general.

From what I hear the new FNAF game pretty much directly contradicts a bunch of stuff the game theory guy has been saying and makes it's explanations so clear that there isn't much to debate anymore so you might get your wish.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the deep ~lore~ of FNAF

I thought it was just about haunted animatronics screaming at you

Something about children being murdered and their souls getting trapped in animatronic suits.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I suddenly find myself with about three weeks worth of free time, could you recommend me some relatively new time ruining games that aren't the witcher 3, Xcom 1+2, Inquisition or Divinity 1+2?

Horizon Zero Dawn.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember a week or so ago when I said that I had bought some games from Gamefly and they got stolen? Well they refunded me and I reordered the games and not that order it over a week late and just seems to be going from distribution center to distribution center with no way of figuring out what the gently caress is going on. It finally seemed to have moved to CT after being stuck in MO for a few days which makes gives me hope that it didn't get lost or stolen in transit but I I don't know they even sent it to CT because that's not the state I'm in.

Really hope they didn't gently caress this up because Gamefly jacked the prices back up on all the games I ordered, so I can't try this again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Skitchin' was way better anyway

No one actually thinks this

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
DMC2 is just boring. That's about it. There's pretty much nothing there.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tombraider/status/938815473478615040?s=17

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was having a rough time with at first but holy poo poo is Horizon good. It might be my favorite open works game ever at this point. The fact that it still might not crack my top 5 of the year goes to show how god damned nuts this year has been. Still, god drat this game is good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I can't believe Bayonetta is loving dead.

In development sounds like it's pretty far off, though.

Eh, Platinum games that aren't funded by Microsoft tend to not take very long

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kind of a bummer it's still a Nintendo exclusive but I guess they're the only ones that want to to fund it because everyone else is a loving idiot so :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hellblade is good and was also made with extensive input from the community it's actually about so yeah it is cool it got that award

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
btw, who the hell schedules an award show for Thursday night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

What is Hellblade even about?

A severely mentally ill viking warrior taking the head of her lover to the underworld

• Locked thread