Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
drat. I liked P5 a lot, but if y'all are saying Berseria is somehow better I guess I'd better give it a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Samuringa posted:

I think this might be worst than Symphony of the Night, at least that one didn't violate your eardrums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsFiBXOVK0

What's going on with her voice?! At 1:29 - 1:38 she sounds like a poorly played saxophone.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

LawfulWaffle posted:

On the same note, the game in general is a travesty of things hidden behind obtuse checkpoints that absolutely wants the player to engage with a strategy guide, specifically their garbage official one. Excalibur II is the most egregious example (get 4/5 through the final dungeon in under 12 hours) but there are plenty of key items that can be lost forever if you don't revisit a place in between plot points.

I've replayed the game multiple times since I was a child, and only looked through a guide for my most recent PS4 release playthrough. Before then, I'd always find sidequests and conversations that were new to me each time, making every blind replay feel worth it. The game was full of stuff that I never knew existed, it was exciting to see new content in a game that has been with me for most of my life.
That's tangential though, I guess. Seeing all of that stuff in an FAQ 'shopping list' form would obviously seem like a chore. The Nero Brothers sidequest feels like it was designed specifically to gently caress with completionists.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it looks ok but I've only played like three mega mans (mega men)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSC5A726f0

This looks so good!
I can really tell they're putting more care into the environments and enemies than Mighty No. 9 did because they're shaded in such a vibrant way and have really clear 2D-like silhouettes.
That digger boss at the end of the trailer is so gorgeous.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Maybe I'm just used to mobages with shitloads of guest artists. One or two stinker character designs like hers is pretty much inevitable, she looks like she vacuum sealed herself within a Laura Ashley curtain (along with two pillows).
It's pretty standard as far as JRPG character designs go, she's like a really forgettable iteration of Final Fantasy's Shiva or something.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I feel you and I agree about visual consistency, I haven't played the game and her design is pretty much all I've seen anyone talk about. I kind of got the impression it was the outlier with this noise ratio.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Getting weapon-characters from a gatcha in a singleplayer JRPG sounds unorthodox enough to get me interested in this game. Do the rare ones tend to come with side quests or stories?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Good soup! posted:

gently caress I watched the Death Stranding teaser for the first time in a while and it just reignites my anticipation for it, so loving strange but I can't wait to see what weird poo poo Kojima has in store

I've watched that first teaser so many times, the shot with the five distant figures floating in perfect perspective over the beach has been burned into my retinas. That poo poo is too cool for this life.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Internet Kraken posted:

Nobody would give a poo poo about Death Stranding if it didn't have Kojima's name attached to it. The trailers have revealed absolutely nothing.

Speak for yourself, as I will:
The trailers were vague, but really well constructed and visually intriguing, which makes my mind go racing wondering what the game's about. That motherfucker can edit a trailer, I get more out of MGSV's Red Band than most movies.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Andrast posted:

Probably. Gacha systems are really popular in japan.

Pulling a lever for a chance to receive rare stuff in a flashy cutscene is pure hyper-condensed dopamine that lights up my lizard brain. I'll always be weak to it.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I hope this innocent-seeming pizza mascot game doesn't come with a dark twist...

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Greedish posted:

Anyone know of cool pirate/Caribbean/colonizing the new world/sailing around doing poo poo games?

this nerd is starting a D&D campaign in that kind of setting and wants some inspiration

so far I've thought of Sid Meier's Pirates, AC Black Flag and idk, Anno 1404?

You're not really spoilt for choice for games with this setting, but Sea of Thieves and Skull & Bones are coming out sometime next year.

There is also this, of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7qH_iYZMM

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Ran into a copy of El Shaddai and snagged it without hesitation. I fondly remembered the demo way back when the game first came out, but I didn't hear a peep about the game since then.
I... can understand why. The story has been making itself up as it goes along, and the gameplay is five-bob Devil May Cry, but I'm really enjoying it. Each area has a really distinct visual motif and the atmosphere is like Bayo+SMT.
I don't see myself coming to any understanding as to what the gently caress the game is about, but I'm enjoying how confused the game seems to be with itself.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Zaphod42 posted:

...we don't talk about 2 or DmC.

The fans have done a great job at discouraging me from ever playing them, but curiosity will get the better of me one of these days.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

It's on at 1:30 am over here and I'm debating loving up my sleeping pattern just for a morsel of Kojima Kontent

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

cheetah7071 posted:

Re: Nier Automata it's an intensely mediocre game imo

Something about it really really grabbed a lot of people but if you don't get why it's supposed to be so good you aren't alone

It didn't have any moments that hit me as hard as Nier or Drakengard 1 but it's still one of the best games I played this year. There's a great amount of stuff in Automata to think about and love, despite the game itself being a slog.
Maybe I was just happy that I enjoyed it immensely more than Drakengard 3, gently caress that game.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

al-azad posted:

earthbound's first half is better

The moment I got to Fourside, my enjoyment of that game skyrocketed because it started to get REALLY weird and fun.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Rolling your eyes at some rando's game of the year list is too easy.
Let's have fun and enjoy the warm company of Geoff Keighley tonight.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I only ever skim read these rankings to see where people put FF9 to determine whether to give someone my Gamer Yes or Gamer No.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The guy that gets picked up has an armband that changes from blue to red as he continues stabbing himself. That's such a Dead Space-rear end lifebar system and it's the only semblance of "Gameplay" mechanics I can possibly extract from this trailer.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Y'all were right to praise Tales of Berseria a few days back. I'm finding it way more interesting than Zestiria, my first and only other Tales game, which I dropped after a few hours because it blew chunks.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
That Unfinished Swan area in Edith Finch was a nice surprise, along with everything else in that game

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

FirstAidKite posted:

Sweeeeet

Dungeon Fighter Online is gonna add a new player class to the korean version, a gun/blade class.

I played this game on a whim a few days ago and was kind of overwhelmed by its systems.
It sure feels like an MMO that's over ten years old because it throws you headfirst into all of the mechanics that were added over the years with no real dripfeed. I gotta find the patience to tough out the starting period because the art and sprites are so good.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

In Training posted:

Bayonetta clearly dies in the trailer

She just needs a new pair of legs and she'll be back in action. I'm sure her hair powers can fill in.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/toycapsule/status/938907945349320705

thisi snt a take on anything i just think its cool

I like this and I also like that this thread was started to dunk on Mombot

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Ready Player One sounds like a compilation of the YouTube search results for "My Funko Pop collection".

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm def more happy about TF2's success because most of my hours went into mod servers with custom maps and crazy game-modes. It's hard for me to play Overwatch without getting bored of the same six maps and dogshit playerbase.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Sorry Hideki Kamiya, Cody looks great

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Harrow posted:

I just want to know who they're going to cast as Geralt.

Everyone on the internet has seen Mads Mikkelsen fan-casts but since that's probably not going to happen I remain really curious because I have no other guesses.

Mads as Geralt just doesn't feel right to me, but I'd like to see him play a Higher Vampire or something.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm going to be disappointed by the Geralt pick anyway because nobody on God's green earth is as handsome as his Witcher 3 incarnation.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I bet it was a heated game of Snipperclips

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Ashamed.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

lets hang out posted:

Sad posts itt today

It all went downhill when Armikrog got mentioned.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

This and Omega Boost have been on my backlog forever. Low-poly mech games age so well.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I want to believe he's putting on a character to get a rise out of people, but these actual guys exist.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

DLC Inc posted:

Fortnite will absolutely overtake PUBG in 2018, even though both run like poo poo on consoles

I'd like for that to happen (it won't though) purely on the principle that Fortnite has a deliberate artstyle and the colour palette is wider than barf tones. They really need to fix those servers.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Holy gently caress a To the Moon sequel just got released. The development of this totally flew right under my radar, I guess? Really itching to grab this.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

90 percent of why I play Overwatch is to spam voice lines in the staging room and also trying to put the basketball in the hoop

I love Mei's "I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry" one because it's so long you can spam it almost indefinitely.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Let me date the waitress you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Fortnite is so much more appealing to me than Pubg I wish it would just completely steal it's thunder. A good artstyle and environmental destruction for a whopping pricetag of Free!

• Locked thread