Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ruskerdax posted:

Don't worry, you can pay me in Bitcoin. It's not real money, anyway.

lol you're probably going to get poo poo for that, but I think this is funny. It's a good reminder of how this can come off if I don't put enough effort into it.

honestly, I'm trying to wonder if maybe it be better to start off of with my other idea that's much less political. But now I'm wondering if that's me pussing out. Because I do have another idea that I am very passionate about, but I know I can't do both at once. The other idea would be for a series called not so Superman and would be about, essentially, the life of Clark Kent while never showing Superman. Not literally that because that's a lawsuit, but a reasonable facsimile. Like how irredeemable got around it.

But, I already did write that script, even if I do have to revise it. And I don't want to fall into that Infamous problem of doing too many things at once and never finishing anything.

Edit: no, U should stick with it for now. I just wish I didn't always have to second-guess myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruskerdax
Dec 8, 2017

Covok posted:

lol you're probably going to get poo poo for that, but I think this is funny. It's a good reminder of how this can come off if I don't put enough effort into it.

I'm glad. I realize it probably comes off as mocking, but I wasn't intending for it to be mean-spirited. The script you wrote does have some good ideas, but the tone is one that takes itself extremely seriously. That makes for a perhaps unintentionally funny result when combined with the general camp surrounding comic book superheroes.

Drawing Mitch McConnell as a literal turtle-man is a lot of fun, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/940625085051875329

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ruskerdax posted:

Don't worry, you can pay me in Bitcoin. It's not real money, anyway.

Having now read the script, this is... accurate. Sorry Covok.

There is a making comics thread if you're looking for more detailed feedback.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

Having now read the script, this is... accurate. Sorry Covok.

There is a making comics thread if you're looking for more detailed feedback.

I didn't realize we had one. I'll be sure to utilize that.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Now that it's halfway over, here is a link to one of my Christmas projects this year, the Alphabet of Christmas. It's an illustrated poem (art by Chuck Knigge) with a different Christmas figure from around the world for each letter. The figures are typically a little deeper dive than the "F is for Frosty" you might expect. So far we've featured cyclops-slaying fairies, a child-murdering butcher, an ice wizard, a woman who carries her eyes on a plate, and a guy who sneaks into your bedroom and pats your belly to make sure there are enough chestnuts in it, among others. Maybe check 'em out.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Thank you so much for this.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Benito Cereno posted:

Now that it's halfway over, here is a link to one of my Christmas projects this year, the Alphabet of Christmas. It's an illustrated poem (art by Chuck Knigge) with a different Christmas figure from around the world for each letter. The figures are typically a little deeper dive than the "F is for Frosty" you might expect. So far we've featured cyclops-slaying fairies, a child-murdering butcher, an ice wizard, a woman who carries her eyes on a plate, and a guy who sneaks into your bedroom and pats your belly to make sure there are enough chestnuts in it, among others. Maybe check 'em out.

This is terrific. Gwiazdor is my new favorite Christmas character.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Thanks! There are lot more that would have been fun to cover that I could only mention in the notes because of doubling up of letters. Fortunately, this alphabet is just basically a preview for a much larger book that I've written that's in production now.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Benito Cereno posted:

Thanks! There are lot more that would have been fun to cover that I could only mention in the notes because of doubling up of letters. Fortunately, this alphabet is just basically a preview for a much larger book that I've written that's in production now.

Do you know if there's ever going to be another Boo! Holiday Special? I have developed a great love for the Boo! comics and I have given several people that as a stocking stuffer seeing as I'm cheap and it costs all of one buck.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I keep telling Jon we need to do another one, but it's ultimately up to what he has time and mental RAM for. This Krampus story I wrote was for the BOO! Holiday Special, but it didn't make it in for reasons. I was hoping to slot it in to the next installment of BOO! Holiday, but there wasn't one, so I just put it online. I dunno, maybe next year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here, this has nothing to do with comics but I'm posting about it anyway. It's a recent thing I've discovered which annoys me a bit. It's when classic movies are released on DVD with "modern" covers that make them look like direct-to-video action movies from 2009. For example:

Bleh.

That Shaft one is particularly disappointing because Shaft should really have the movie poster with Richard Roundtree opening fire on mobsters while abseiling through a window.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Benito Cereno posted:

I keep telling Jon we need to do another one, but it's ultimately up to what he has time and mental RAM for. This Krampus story I wrote was for the BOO! Holiday Special, but it didn't make it in for reasons. I was hoping to slot it in to the next installment of BOO! Holiday, but there wasn't one, so I just put it online. I dunno, maybe next year.

I think I saw this here before. Good stuff! Thanks for posting it up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay I think I'm finally gonna give Multiversity a read. What do I need to "get" it? Is it just Watchmen again and that Superman tie-in to Final Crisis I never read?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Okay I think I'm finally gonna give Multiversity a read. What do I need to "get" it? Is it just Watchmen again and that Superman tie-in to Final Crisis I never read?

Everything Morrison has ever written

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Definitely all of Final Crisis, especially Superman Beyond. His New 52 Action Comics run, though you could probably trim it down to just issue 9 if you didn't want to read the whole thing. I don't think re-reading Watchmen is super necessary, but it's never a bad idea, just because. It's been a while since I read Multiversity, but I think those are the main ones, but yeah, there are definitely thematic throughlines that go all the way back to Animal Man and weave through JLA and Batman and such.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Superman Beyond is pretty much essential for Multiversity (and I still can't believe you didn't read it). Action Comics #9 might be too.

Other than that I don't think there's much that is strictly necessary. What you remember of Watchmen is probably enough.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God you loving assholes are gonna make me read a loving 50+ issue reading order for a loving single series, including and especially a line wide crossover I didn't like the first time.

Why does Grant Morrison have to be like this

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

God you loving assholes are gonna make me read a loving 50+ issue reading order for a loving single series, including and especially a line wide crossover I didn't like the first time.

Why does Grant Morrison have to be like this
He really really likes the idea that every comic ever published is in continuity. It pays off because he makes great things from it so eventually you just go with it as the price of admission.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean I know, I loved R.I.P., its literally the best Batman story ever, but gently caress I hate having to go from "well I sure would like to read morrisons weird multiversal treatise on what comics mean" to "well I guess I should reread one of the greatest comics ever made that Morrison writes fan fiction of, sure" to "gently caress he's doing his dumb Morrison thing again now I have to read an event I really disliked again and his entire run of a completely unrelated comic now, great"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Even Action Comics #9 isn't that important to be honest. It introduces one of the characters/universes but the Multiversity as a series throws so many alt-universes at you that you need to be able to go with the flow anyway.

Superman Beyond (and the rest of Final Crisis) on the other hand...

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 17, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I mean I know, I loved R.I.P., its literally the best Batman story ever, but gently caress I hate having to go from "well I sure would like to read morrisons weird multiversal treatise on what comics mean" to "well I guess I should reread one of the greatest comics ever made that Morrison writes fan fiction of, sure" to "gently caress he's doing his dumb Morrison thing again now I have to read an event I really disliked again and his entire run of a completely unrelated comic now, great"

Congrats you figured out one of the major flaws in his writing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's the only writer I read who seems to loving revel in making his comics into homework projects.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just read Superman Beyond. Or not. There's really nothing you have to read, just stuff that'll enhance the overall package.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I read multiversity having read none of what anyone is telling to read and understood it. I think people may be over selling you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's a direct sequel to Final Crisis, I really don't think that's skippable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It's skippable. Morrison has themes that run through almost most of his comics (I mean you could say Flex Mentalo is required reading almost) and certain characters do pop up in all his work but you don't need to read everything is his to enjoy Multiversity. It definitely adds layers to the reading but isn't necessary. Personally I would say skip Final Crisis because I really disliked it (though I probably should try reread it). Just read Multiversity on its own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I read Final Crisis awhile back and kinda liked it, but didn't understand any of it, I'd read all of his Batman up to that point, but missed out on Superman Beyond, is that the only thing I was missing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I read Final Crisis awhile back and kinda liked it, but didn't understand any of it, I'd read all of his Batman up to that point, but missed out on Superman Beyond, is that the only thing I was missing?

The Final Crisis trade has Submit (which isn't essential I guess?) and the 2 issues of Superman Beyond in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think you really need to read Final Crisis (again, in LTW’s case), so long as you remember that it ended with monitor dude who’s name I forgot waking up as a normal boy. I would probably recommend the Action Comics with President Superman (I thought it was 13, but assuming it’s actually 9 from the other posts) and that’s it.

I’ve been reading Tom King’s Vision. :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aww I didn’t like the second half of that series as much as the first :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I hate myself, so I'm reading through every Wolverine. In the 1982 mini, there's an ad for a Darkseid/Dark Phoenix team up. Did this actually happen?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Soonmot posted:

I hate myself, so I'm reading through every Wolverine. In the 1982 mini, there's an ad for a Darkseid/Dark Phoenix team up. Did this actually happen?

That's probably the crossover between X-Men and Teen Titans

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I read Multiversity the first time having skipped Final Crisis entirely and loved every page, hope this helps

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
People get obsessed with whether or not things are 'skippable' or not but you know, you can read lots of things without getting every single reference.

I read Crisis on Infinite Earths as a little kid without knowing there were a bunch of Crises on Multiple Earths for twenty years prior to it.

I didn't realize that Reservoir Dogs contained a bunch of homages to 1970s new wave cinema because no one gave me a recommended watching list before I rented it and I still somehow managed to enjoy it.

Mostly I just remember people freaking out during Final Crisis about how obscure and confusing all of the [brand new] characters Grant Morrison dug up out of [new ideas] and jesus christ you can't even loving google NIx Uoton or Most Excellent Super Bat but i'm supposed to know who they are and I read his Seven Soldiers but where did he dig these characters up from so confusing!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got burned on Final Crisis w/r/t Morrison, where it was a largely incomprehensible mess because I had little-to-no experience with Fourth World stuff and especially Morrison's interpretation on it, so if people say I should read other comics to lead into a Morrison event comic I'm gonna loving read them. Final Crisis I had very little idea what was happening outside of the very broadest of strokes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Has either DC or Marvel ever made a trans superhero? And not like an allegorical one like Earth-1610 Jessica Drew, Spiderwoman, but someone who was born genetically as a one sex but wasn't CIS so they transitioned to the other sex to match their gender identity or are in the process of transitioning or simply have a gender identity that doesn't align with their biological sex at birth. And, this is important, it not being done in a weird way. You know what I mean, comics don't always handle things well, older comics have older "values", and the fetishization of trans individuals is a thing and is offensive and, yeah, you get it.

I don't believe they have. It's unfortunate since there really should be a superhero for everyone, ya know? Someone the audience can relate to when it comes to issues unique to a group.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angela's girlfriend Sera, but she's a minor character.

And one of the side characters in Squirrel Girl, I forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Angela's girlfriend Sera, but she's a minor character.

And one of the side characters in Squirrel Girl, I forget which.

Are they a superhero or a character in the story?

• Locked thread