Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

Spoilered for gross:

He has since married his girlfriend, and her horniness is surely leading to something, because he keeps making a point of how voracious her sexual appetite is. Anyway, in the most recent issue, Malcolm does a jism so hard that it blasts his wife across the room and she lands upside down, with his fluids dripping from her vagina into her mouth.

It was not the most fun page for me to turn to while reading comics in an airport.

Sounds like typical marital sex to me, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So the Archie comics thread was archived because of lack of activity. Can anyone articulate what the gently caress is going on with that company? Like, I picked up this years B&V Christmas double digest and what the gently caress books do they still have running now? Just Archie? :wtc: Is Archie Comics dying despite Riverdale putting new eyeballs on the brand?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basically, yeah. Despite putting out surprisingly good experimental stuff and having a massively successful televised tie-in, their comic sales are in the gutter. Have been for a while, really. Even Sonic finally died, thank god.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm really shocked their sales are so low considering the reboots quality is pretty up there for me. Certainly better than New 52 and most of what Marvel has been doing. So if Archie Comics dies, who is most likely to buy them? Warner Brothers because of the CW ties?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Himuro posted:

I'm really shocked their sales are so low considering the reboots quality is pretty up there for me.

The 90s have taught me that these two things are largely unrelated.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I blame Ken Penders.

Is his still trying to make his ORIGINAL FANFIC DO NOT STEAL into a thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Checking the Archie site you can currently subscribe to:

Riverdale
Archie
Betty & Veronica: Vixens
The Archies
Archie & Me Comics Digest (reprints)
Archie Comics Digest (reprints)
Betty & Veronica Comics Digest (reprints)
World of Archie Comics Digest (reprints)
B & V Friends Comics Digest (reprints)
Riverdale Digest (reprints)
Cosmo
The Mighty Crusaders
Jughead: The Hunger
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Afterlife With Archie

So six new comics that at least seem to be shipping regularly (at the moment), a bunch of reprint collections, and three ongoings that ship a combined four issues a year maybe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Himuro posted:

I'm really shocked their sales are so low considering the reboots quality is pretty up there for me. Certainly better than New 52 and most of what Marvel has been doing. So if Archie Comics dies, who is most likely to buy them? Warner Brothers because of the CW ties?

New 52 was 6 years and 2 reboots ago man. Your terminology needs an update.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
And there's an Archie Humble Bundle with a bunch of the new books right now, which I grabbed instantly.

And I am psyched about the Netflix Sabrina TV based on the newer, darker Sabrina.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

New 52 was 6 years and 2 reboots ago man. Your terminology needs an update.

Hahaha, I'm sorry, I don't follow DC.

Endless Mike posted:

Checking the Archie site you can currently subscribe to:

Riverdale
Archie
Betty & Veronica: Vixens
The Archies
Archie & Me Comics Digest (reprints)
Archie Comics Digest (reprints)
Betty & Veronica Comics Digest (reprints)
World of Archie Comics Digest (reprints)
B & V Friends Comics Digest (reprints)
Riverdale Digest (reprints)
Cosmo
The Mighty Crusaders
Jughead: The Hunger
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Afterlife With Archie

So six new comics that at least seem to be shipping regularly (at the moment), a bunch of reprint collections, and three ongoings that ship a combined four issues a year maybe.

So what happened to the other Jughead title?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 5, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

After a year away from comics I'm gonna try to get back in. Going back to my old pull lists can someone tell me what of these comics are worth catching up on/still ongoing?

BATMAN
GREEN ARROW
NIGHTWING
SUPERMAN
TRINITY
ALL NEW WOLVERINE
BLACK PANTHER
CAPTAIN AMERICA SAM WILSON
DEADPOOL
INFAMOUS IRON MAN
JESSICA JONES
HELLCAT
SILK
THANOS
UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL
UNCANNY INHUMANS
SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL
AVENGERS NOW
CHAMPIONS
DEADPOOL AND THE MERCS FOR MONEY
FOOLKILLER
OCCUPY AVENGERS
SPIDER-WOMAN
UNWORTHY THOR
ULTIMATES
CAPTAIN MARVEL
SPIDER-GWEN
TOTALLY AWESOME HULK
GWENPOOL
MIGHTY THOR
NEW SUPER MAN
WONDER WOMAN
DOOM PATROL
BIRDS OF PREY
ALL STAR BATMAN
DETECTIVE COMICS
BATGIRL

loving hell I pulled a lot of loving comics.

Also how are the line wide crossovers since September 2016? I stopped reading mid-CWII, but how was Death of X and whatever line-wide crossovers DC has had?

Basically I'm trying to get back in after a year away but want to cut down my backlog to be more manageable to catch up while including any new stuff that launched in the meantime that's good. I'm also trying to avoid spending time reading lines that were cancelled or end unsatisfyingly so I can get caught up more quickly.

But yeah.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

[...]

But yeah.

All-Star Batman and Unworthy Thor concluded (in a good way) and Gwenpool is getting cancelled soon. Champions and Captain America: Sam Wilson aren't really worth catching up on because they got really bad really fast. Superman, Nightwing, Spider-Gwen, and Mighty Thor are all still quite good. I can't comment on the rest because I don't read them. :shobon:

Don't worry about any of Marvel's recent events. Civil War 2, Death of X, IvX and Secret Empire were all pretty wretched. Night of the Monster Men was a pretty cool DC event that is worth checking out.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 6, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

After a year away from comics I'm gonna try to get back in. Going back to my old pull lists can someone tell me what of these comics are worth catching up on/still ongoing?
From the ones I read/am aware of: Batman poo poo the bed with War of Jokes and Riddles in my opinion but got back in form after that. Green Arrow, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Mighty Thor, Gwenpool, New Super-Man, Black Panther, and Jessica Jones have all remained excellent. Superman, Trinity, Totally Awesome Hulk (renamed to Incredible Hulk), Champions, and Detective Comics have also stayed quality, but I don't think they were ever as good as that first group. Wonder Woman took a hit when Rucka left but is still pretty good. Thanos is starting to grate on me but I'm sticking with it for now. Avengers has just been dull but I have at least enjoyed the current crossover with Champions. Infamous Iron Man, Occupy Avengers, Unworthy Thor, Ultimates, and All-Star Batman (I think) all ended. Occupy Avengers sucked, the others were quite good.

quote:

Also how are the line wide crossovers since September 2016? I stopped reading mid-CWII, but how was Death of X and whatever line-wide crossovers DC has had?
Uniformly garbage. The only variable is how offensive each one's level of horribleness was. Inhumans vs. X-Men is the lowest point on the scale, Secret Empire is the highest. Run far, far away.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Has DC had no line-wide events? Also is it safe to just read the individual lines without reading the crossovers and still get it?

Like I heard that Secret Empire sucked poo poo and Nick Spencer revealed himself to be a gigantic loving piece of garbage over the past year so I don't want to read his bullshit but will I be completely lost if I don't?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BATMAN
GREEN ARROW

NIGHTWING
SUPERMAN
TRINITY

ALL NEW WOLVERINE
BLACK PANTHER
CAPTAIN AMERICA SAM WILSON
DEADPOOL
INFAMOUS IRON MAN
JESSICA JONES
HELLCAT
SILK
THANOS
UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL
UNCANNY INHUMANS
SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL
AVENGERS NOW
CHAMPIONS
DEADPOOL AND THE MERCS FOR MONEY
FOOLKILLER
OCCUPY AVENGERS
SPIDER-WOMAN
UNWORTHY THOR
ULTIMATES
CAPTAIN MARVEL
SPIDER-GWEN
TOTALLY AWESOME HULK
GWENPOOL
MIGHTY THOR
NEW SUPER MAN
WONDER WOMAN
DOOM PATROL
BIRDS OF PREY
ALL STAR BATMAN
DETECTIVE COMICS

BATGIRL

loving hell I pulled a lot of loving comics.

Basically I'm trying to get back in after a year away but want to cut down my backlog to be more manageable to catch up while including any new stuff that launched in the meantime that's good. I'm also trying to avoid spending time reading lines that were cancelled or end unsatisfyingly so I can get caught up more quickly.

But yeah.

Those ones I know for sure.

As for crossovers they're mostly forgettable. Marvel had none of interest, Lazarus Contract and Superman Reborn were both terrible. The Button is fun for what it is if you're interested in the Watchmen stuff. Doomsday Clock is too early to call but I thought the first issue was good for a major event comic.

Dark Nights: Metal ranges from fun to edgy garbage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What about any new lines that started between when I quit and now? Like, is the new hawkeye ongoing good? Etc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

What about any new lines that started between when I quit and now? Like, is the new hawkeye ongoing good? Etc

The new Hawkeye is really good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Super Sons is real good if you like Damian and Jon. Bug: The Adventures of Forager is great 4th World stuff, and Mister Miracle is all around fantastic.

From Marvel, Black Bolt has been a surprise hit, Runaways is genuinely great, and Hawkeye, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, The Defenders, Iceman, and X-Men Blue are pretty good roo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Black Bolt, Mister Miracle.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait

New runaways... is good? Huh?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Don't read any of Geoff Johns Takes A Dump On Watchmen

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't read any Geoff Johns

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

:hai:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait Geoff Johns writes the Watchmen crossover? Yeah gently caress that then. Also I thought he was retired from comics writing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wait Geoff Johns writes the Watchmen crossover? Yeah gently caress that then. Also I thought he was retired from comics writing.

He didn't write The Button but he's writing Doomsday Clock and is nominally plotting the whole thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If Marvel hadn't just gone through with Secret Empire, then I'm pretty confident the reaction to Doomsday Clock would be significantly worse here and everywhere else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's at "shatter people's kneecaps" levels for me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, it's one issue in right now? I didn't think it was all that bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably going to end with Rorschach joining the JLA, isn't it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's terrible as a sequel to Watchmen, but as an event comic it's not all that bad. I'm mostly just reading it out of curiosity than because I think it's really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't read it. Does Geoff Johns write in his own style or does he try to emulate Alan Moore?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's real bad, and it's going to get worse. It's Civil War II, but if Civil War actually was what people who hold it in high esteem think it is

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't read it. Does Geoff Johns write in his own style or does he try to emulate Alan Moore?

More the latter than anything else. It's weird.

On a positive note, I think I would like to meet Geoff Johns at some point. Seems like a nice guy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I would like to meet Johns too, I wonder what someone who has the cast iron balls to actually go forward with Hamlet 2 is like

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Roth posted:

If Marvel hadn't just gone through with Secret Empire, then I'm pretty confident the reaction to Doomsday Clock would be significantly worse here and everywhere else.

DC still wouldn't have been people talking about event fatigue, and (so far) it looks like Doomsday Clock is going to be fairly self-contained and not run roughshod over the entire line.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most of the first issue was written from Rorschach's perspective and does a pretty embarrassing imitation of it. Tbf they might actually be going somewhere with that since it's some kind of new Rorschach, but it's more likely incompetence.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would hang out out and eat cereal with Geoff Johns and when he had a mouth full of apple jacks or whatever I would punch him square in gut and make him spit milk everywhere

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DC still wouldn't have been people talking about event fatigue, and (so far) it looks like Doomsday Clock is going to be fairly self-contained and not run roughshod over the entire line.

Nah, but I think people would be more bothered by the concept if Nazi Cap didn't make it look look tame in comparison.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Roth posted:

Nah, but I think people would be more bothered by the concept if Nazi Cap didn't make it look look tame in comparison.

You mean here or in general? The mouthbreathing contingent of comics readers think its some kind of sick own on that beard guy who said mean things about superhero comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

You mean here or in general? The mouthbreathing contingent of comics readers think its some kind of sick own on that beard guy who said mean things about superhero comics

In general, but I suppose I'm mainly going off my own circle of friends since a lot of us have said something similar.

• Locked thread