Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I treasure my LttP TPB. That was straight-up art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Jesus dude why are you teleporting your own guys then

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Starship Troopers is the most incising, razor-sharp satire of the entire Bush years and the War on Terror in particular ever put on film... which is downright creepy, as it was shot in 1997.

Special effects held up really good, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

After a year away from comics I'm gonna try to get back in. Going back to my old pull lists can someone tell me what of these comics are worth catching up on/still ongoing?
From the ones I read/am aware of: Batman poo poo the bed with War of Jokes and Riddles in my opinion but got back in form after that. Green Arrow, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Mighty Thor, Gwenpool, New Super-Man, Black Panther, and Jessica Jones have all remained excellent. Superman, Trinity, Totally Awesome Hulk (renamed to Incredible Hulk), Champions, and Detective Comics have also stayed quality, but I don't think they were ever as good as that first group. Wonder Woman took a hit when Rucka left but is still pretty good. Thanos is starting to grate on me but I'm sticking with it for now. Avengers has just been dull but I have at least enjoyed the current crossover with Champions. Infamous Iron Man, Occupy Avengers, Unworthy Thor, Ultimates, and All-Star Batman (I think) all ended. Occupy Avengers sucked, the others were quite good.

quote:

Also how are the line wide crossovers since September 2016? I stopped reading mid-CWII, but how was Death of X and whatever line-wide crossovers DC has had?
Uniformly garbage. The only variable is how offensive each one's level of horribleness was. Inhumans vs. X-Men is the lowest point on the scale, Secret Empire is the highest. Run far, far away.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I mean, it's one issue in right now? I didn't think it was all that bad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

God you loving assholes are gonna make me read a loving 50+ issue reading order for a loving single series, including and especially a line wide crossover I didn't like the first time.

Why does Grant Morrison have to be like this
He really really likes the idea that every comic ever published is in continuity. It pays off because he makes great things from it so eventually you just go with it as the price of admission.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's a direct sequel to Final Crisis, I really don't think that's skippable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Like I said, it's handled in a respectful manner, but having the only genderfluid character in the entire 616 also be the god of lies is a bit problematic.
God of stories :mad:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Not a superhero exactly, but the current run on Detective Comics has Dr. Victoria October as a transwoman who openly discusses it once or twice while she's trying to help cure a reformed Clayface.
Oh yeah, she brought it up in the issue that came out literally last week, I should have thought of that.

It was really well done too, Clayface is like "so this'll fix all my problems huh" and she goes "dude I thought that too but it turns out I was the same rear end in a top hat after I transitioned as I was before, just in the right body, you gotta get your mind right as its own thing".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I reread Final Crisis, properly this time, while reading Submit, Resist, and Superman Beyond, and I can finally pinpoint the area where I think the story completely gets away from Morrison: issue 5.

Resist and especially Submit explain some elements that aren't adequately explained by the main series, and up to issue 5 its more or less a story about Apokolips having invaded and won control of Earth and enslaved humanity. Then Morrison adds the Monitor poo poo, Limbo, the fuckin' Bleed and all that poo poo, and it becomes completely loving incomprehensible.
Man, I really should just save this in a Google Doc or something so I don't have to type it out every time. (That's not a personal diss, I totally get why it gets incomprehensible there, it's just that I've written this like half a dozen times now because lots of people get confused at this point!)

Here's the deal with Final Crisis. We're dealing with a Morrison work so there's going to be a meta subtext, but even by Morrison standards, the meta stuff is especially pronounced right from the beginning. The Monitors didn't exist until stories started, and at first they only watched the stories, but then they began interfering, first tentatively and now in widespread ways to the point that they are "infected by stories". They are surrogates for not only comic book readers, but also comic book writers, and most specifically, the comic book writers who grew up reading comics and then took over in the fans-running-the-asylum process that began in the 70s and is now universal because for gently caress's sake literally everyone now grows up in a world where superheroes dominate popular culture. This'll be important later.

At the same time, Morrison signals very strongly again that we're dealing with a story on the meta level by showing us again and again that the real conflict happening is a war of ideas. Darkseid comes to Earth not in his boom-tubed avatar that's an appropriate size, but in his full incarnation as the God of Evil, and he's so loving big that his mere presence causes spacetime to crack, break, and begin to collapse inwards into the Darkseid-singularity. Darkseid's goal is, and always has been, to make everything in the universe into Darkseid. Morrison is taking it to its logical extreme. And as reality breaks we see the war-of-ideas motif again and again, from the Justifiers to the primordial fire given by the gods that's also a symbol of freedom to Darkseid-as-legion to the final page of Beyond, where Superman's tombstone is engraven with the only three words it could ever possibly have.

So our meta subtext is now set up. Concepts are at war, comic books are the battleground, and there are stand-ins for comic book authors meddling in it, including one particular comic book writer who's been sent into the realm of the comics he once wrote (a Morrison favorite). And here we go.

First, in Beyond, Superman is taken out of his plane of existence and into the realm of pure meta, where we're introduced to Mandrakk the Dark Monitor, and given his backstory. Mandrakk was once the best of all the Monitors, but now all that's left of him is a dark husk that survives by making stories bleed and is slowly killing the multiverse because of his malignant presence. We're also told that Nix Uotan, the bald Monitor who was always a bit too interested in interacting with his universe and has since been sent in exile as a comic book character, is Mandrakk's son. Remember that Monitors are writers and the multiverse is comic books and even if you're not aware of how there's been a running theme of gently caress-you-Dad directed at Alan Moore for a while in Morrison's works (see most recently at time of Final Crisis' writing the valiant No-Beard vs. malignant All-Beard in Seven Soldiers), the metaphor should be pretty clear there.

Next, as Final Crisis enters the home stretch, our heroes make a rather surprising decision: the universe has been fatally wounded, they can't save it, and they're no longer going to try -- the focus now is on what they want to get through to the next universe. As the walls of reality come down around them and the metatext starts to become text, the characters deliver judgement on their own story and find it wanting. The DCU is irreparably flawed. The sins of its past are killing it. Time for a reboot. And so, just to make sure we're all getting the point here, Superman literally puts Lois in a refrigerator, with the promise that he'll take her back out once in the new universe they're going to build. Then he sings the song that ends the world.

The DCU has been destroyed, and now the battle for the soul of the next DCU will be fought, in the metafictional realm between stories. Grim-And-Gritty, as represented by the desecrated remains of Alan Moore, will be fighting against Comics Should Be Fun, as represented by Grant Morrison.

"Rarrr! Check me out!" says Grim-And-Gritty. "I've got an Evil Superman who's a vampire, isn't that unique and interesting and not at all the same old boring poo poo that killed the last DCU? I killed some superheroes! Off-panel! What a shocking moment this is! Check it out, here's Supergirl, all defenseless, who I'm going to menace vaguely sexually! Rape makes comics adult and therefore good! What've you got that can defeat me?"

"What've I got?" says Comics Should Be Fun. "I've got actual Superman. I've got 52 varieties of Superman, more Apollonian sun-gods than you can fit in a two-page splash panel. I have thousands of space cop aliens with rings that grant wishes. I've got a group of Japanese teenagers too caught up in their interpersonal drama to realize they're the new incarnations of new gods. I've got superheroes who are cartoon animals with punny names, and I have even more awesome stuff beyond them but oh look at that you just exploded."

And so, with Grim-And-Gritty destroyed and its influence purged, the DCU is reborn under the guidance of Comics Should Be Fun, as a better place guided by one principle above all else... that everyone gets a happy ending.

Which ended up not exactly working. But it was a noble try.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If I didn't make it clear enough, Morrison does lay the majority of the blame on what other people did with Moore's legacy, not Moore himself, but he uses Moore as a convenient avatar of it (and because of the gently caress-you-Dad thing too of course). Mandrakk is a vampire because that's a dead thing which has been animated in a twisted perversion of its previous self.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm still hoping against hope for a Flex Mentallo sequel where he travels through commentary on the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Earth-8 is Marvel, Earth-7 is Ultimate Marvel. That wasn't off the top of my head, I looked it up.

Pax America is a notoriously tough nut to crack; I think it was d00gz who said it was "actively fighting the knife" when he tried to dissect it. This is the comic where Captain Atom takes his beloved dog, deconstructs it, and then notes with some perplexity that not only was the whole not the sum of its parts, but he just killed his dog and why would he do that. So I think Morrison may have been making a point there.

As to that reading of the Gentry, it's not one I've seen before, but it's a good one. The comic fighting its readers is certainly a theme in the series.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I mean, they're summoned by reading comics -- again and again and again, that's how we're told they get in, we see it in comic book characters reading comics and then Ultra Comics uses the act of us reading the comic to draw one of them. So I don't think a reading of them as pure Comic Reader works, because if they were just that, they wouldn't need to corrupt comic readers.

Multiversity 2 complains about "on every world a crisis, a conclusion that never comes but continues to arrive, an endless event" and ends with its characters swearing vengeance on us because all their problems come from Prime Earth. Combine that with the strong themes of ownership and homenization (the bad guys are literally called The Gentry and have a repeated theme of landlords knocking on your door for the "rent") and I think you can make a pretty strong case that they're bad ownership. But y'know what, maybe they're the dark side of fandom, the guys who set themselves up as gatekeepers and demand that every comic book conform to their (lovely, stupid) standards and use comics to get to innocent readers and try to corrupt them into being part of their baying, destructive mass. I like that explanation best, I think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

In what loving universe, y'all.
TLJ doesn't desperately pander to nerd nostalgia but instead suggests that stagnation is death and the only way forward is to leave the past behind. And that's not a knock on TFA, I think it did exactly what it had to do in reminding everyone of what Star Wars is supposed to be and why they ever loved it after the prequels left everything so hosed up, but as much as it needed to be made, it needed to be made once and TLJ is a hell of a movie.

Anyway there's a certain brand of nerd who doesn't like it when something dares to poke its head in and question their viewpoints, doubly so when icky girls are involved, and hence the backlash.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I mean yeah, it's not a perfect movie, there's unquestionably pacing problems and on a personal note Maz Kanata now has one movie to explain what the gently caress she's doing in the franchise at all because justify your goddamn screentime or get out, but anyone saying with a straight face that it's not good has set up shop on Mount Wrong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is there a variety of product that Disney does not own

because they'll fuckin' buy it

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Was Last Action Hero just ahead of its time? Because it's really loving clever and has legitimate things to say about its genre, I don't understand how it could have reviewed badly.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxY0Lxo_ow

How can anyone say this is not a great movie.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Covok posted:

The only think right about this statenent is Attack of The Clones is the worst Star Wars movie, sans spin-offs.
Personal opinion: once they get to Geonosis, Lucas starts to remember what a movie is and how to make them, and by the end AotC has picked up just enough momentum to pull ahead of Phantom Menace.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The prequels have an absolute murderer's row of talent in their casts (with the glaring exception of Hayden Christensen but as I recall he was an up-and-comer thought to be on par with Natalie Portman at the time). It's a testament to how much directing and writing matter that they give such terrible performances.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Considering that if it made literally zero dollars starting today The Last Jedi would still be the #7 movie of the year, does it really matter? Like, if it comes in second, is Disney gonna rend their garments because oh no we had three of the top five grossing movies all year (and one of the other ones was Spider-Man) but they weren't quite in the order we expected?

This is silly c'mon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The biggest difference is that most places in the U.S. are closed, so everyone tends to go to the movies and get Chinese food once they get fed up with hanging out with their families.
Yeah, this is very much why movies and Chinese food became a Jewish tradition on Christmas day in the first place. We're bored and the rest of the goddamn country is closed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You guys are gonna make me post the best one? Fine, I'll post the best one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Isn't Cho the guy who is Infamous because he drew someone with a big butt and then acted like a petulant child when people complained then never got over it and is still making covers about how people were annoyed about his big butt picture? Which, frankly, is a little sad because it's been like loving 5 years, to substain being a petulant child for that long is pretty pathetic.
No! It's actually even more pathetic than that. He didn't even draw the original big butt picture, he just got outraged on behalf of the guy who did draw it when people called it out for being over-sexualized, ugly, and anatomically iffy because SJWS COMIN' FOR MAH BUTTS and he's been in a four-year snit about someone else's variant cover ever since.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Remind me why his run was so bad? I have the 8 little mini books and don't remember the last one being god awful.
It dropped all the story momentum to go to the past for no reason to tell a shaggy dog story that had delusions of being a Grand Tragic Romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Stan Lee is a carny motherfucker, and a carny motherfucker is exactly what the industry needed to become what it is today. Live forever, you crazy showman.

• Locked thread