Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

I'd still watch it. The absence of good contenders is the best reason to book a stupid war fight.

You can book one of those with people in the top 10 of Holloway's own division rather than poaching fat guys from one or two divisions down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Roncho posted:

But how much is Darth Vader in the new UFC game?

"In many ways, Bruce LeeDarth Vader was an early pioneer of MMA...."

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

"In many ways, Bruce LeeDarth Vader was an early pioneer of MMA...."

Surely by now somebody compelled Bruce Buffer to announce "he is a Jedi Knight, fighting out of Sacramento California ..."

I mean if Roy Nelson was a "karate fighter" then why not really. Ryan Bader maybe.

I give Bruce credit though too, I remember he just flat out told Akiyama that no, he would not be calling him "Sexiyama".

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

vaginal facsimile posted:

He would get owned I think

Yeah. I don't think the #6 135 pound contender who just lost to a guy who's talking about going down to 125 for a fight is going to have anything for the 145lb champion on a 12-fight winning streak who just stopped Jose Also in back-to-back fights, and has 8" of height 2" of reach over him.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

InfiniteZero posted:

I mean if Roy Nelson was a "karate fighter" then why not really. Ryan Bader maybe.

It was Kung Fu actually and Roy Nelson has actually been taking kung fu for a very long time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JaySB posted:

Funny story about that. My friend almost got us murdered by Terry and one of his training partners at a poker table

Please tell this story.

raingwc posted:

The Diaz brothers will probably never fight in the UFC again. Nick is Nick and Nate overestimates his worth by about 15million.

Nate was one half of two of the most profitable shows they've ever put on.

It's really difficult to predict the fighter to beat Max, even hypothetically. There's no single thing that makes him good, he's got a ton of elite attributes. He's rangy and uses it well. Even if you get past his reach, his chin is outstanding, he's also really calm under fire. Even when he's been hit hard, he's not folded. His striking game is really diverse, he can stuff takedowns and even wrestle a little. He's really loving good.

Max owns.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Leaving this here so I can find it easily again.

https://i.imgur.com/BI2JXwT.mp4

Also, I forgot but this isn't the first time we've seen a casual lead-hand uppercut from Ngannou reboot someone's grey matter.

https://i.imgur.com/PwCInJM.mp4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah. I don't think the #6 135 pound contender who just lost to a guy who's talking about going down to 125 for a fight is going to have anything for the 145lb champion on a 12-fight winning streak who just stopped Jose Also in back-to-back fights, and has 8" of height 2" of reach over him.

Oh did he just lose? I must have missed that. Carry on then!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Francis Ngannou is living at the ufc offices right now, according to Dana at last night's press conference. Dome people think its a conflict of interest but I honestly believe Francis may have shown up with his pillow and toothbrush at Dana's office and said "I live here now" and no one has dares say otherwise

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bluedeanie posted:

Francis Ngannou is living at the ufc offices right now, according to Dana at last night's press conference. Dome people think its a conflict of interest but I honestly believe Francis may have shown up with his pillow and toothbrush at Dana's office and said "I live here now" and no one has dares say otherwise

Someone asked Dana about a bonus for Ngannou at the press conference on Saturday.

Dana White posted:

Trust me, Francis lives at the Performance Institute, and I don’t need him knocking on my loving door looking for his bonus. We'll get him situated

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nick Diaz is now 34 and hasnt fought in 3 years. I doubt he comes back at all.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Memento posted:

Leaving this here so I can find it easily again.
https://i.imgur.com/BI2JXwT.mp4

That was a really sloppy punch by Overeem almost Duffy-esque. I guess the fear is real.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
I'm just gonna say this:

If Ngannou can even slightly wrestle, then EVERYONE is hosed.

Like if it turns out he can transition on the ground effectively, defend from his back and pass at a decent level?

every. loving. body. is. hosed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Since its heavyweight I firmly believe there are no guarantees and Nganou could be completely derailed by Derrick Lewis or whoever by the time we see him next.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I look forward to seeing Ngannou frustrated at the end of Stipe’s jab for 25 minutes.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Oh did he just lose? I must have missed that. Carry on then!

He lost at 207 to T.J. Dillashaw. Saying "just lost" was a bit silly, I guess. That's obviously not a sign that he's bad or anything, I just threw it onto the list of reasons why he probably wouldn't beat Max.

Memento posted:

Also, I forgot but this isn't the first time we've seen a casual lead-hand uppercut from Ngannou reboot someone's grey matter.

That dude hits like Cheick Kongo looks.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 5, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I look forward to seeing Ngannou frustrated at the end of Stipe’s jab for 25 minutes.

Had this discussion today at the gym and I agree.

Nifft posted:

That was a really sloppy punch by Overeem almost Duffy-esque. I guess the fear is real.

I dunno, it looked like he was throwing it to set something up, only was set up by Ngannou's lead left set up punch. Chess.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

whatever the result ends up being, i would bet on him just wading straight in

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
stipe is gonna get knocked out.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's pretty funny that Stipe has to face Ngannou in his fight to try and finally get the longest heavyweight title defense streak to a record of three.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Breaking the heavyweight defence streak will be a bigger accomplishment than Might Mouse’s.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Speaking of Nate, whatever happened with that alleged bout with Tyron?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Nate wants 15 mill for it so nah

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
No one will be able to stop Shane Carwin

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Hey, he retired having gone undefeated for the last 6 years, show some respect.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

he was experiencing rigor mortis as early as 2010

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

stipe is gonna get knocked out.

Stipes the HW GOAT, gimmie a break

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I fuckin' love how ridiculous MMAth can get. From another forum:

quote:

Max Holloway>Jose Aldo>Frankie Edgar>BJ Penn>Matt Hughes>Georges St. Pierre>Michael Bisping>Anderson Silva>Vitor Belfort>Randy Couture>Brandon Vera>Frank Mir>Brock Lesnar

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/937877959041458181

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Memento posted:

Jonathan Brookins>Michael Johnson>Poirier>Holloway

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

drat

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

It was way more fun when we proved Faber was better than Fedor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/SecretMovesMMA/status/937480884369985536

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Memento posted:

Demetrious Johnson > KID Yamamoto > Genki Sudo > Eric "Butterbean" Esch > Zuluzinho > Minowaman > Hong-man Choi

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

Had this discussion today at the gym and I agree.

I think Ngannou will have enough prep to go to kicks if Stipe tries to stay at range with hands. Mix of high on the guard and leg kicks. Finish with punches and ready to sprawl.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Nate was one half of two of the most profitable shows they've ever put on.

Oh absolutely, but the other half will probably never get back to the UFC, atleast not in the next couple of years. His alledged troubles with Irish cartels and getting his side chick pregnant is a sure way to get into Jon Jones career territory.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In all the hype, it's easy to forget how good Miocic is and how Ngannou has only shown one extremely strong string to his bow.

To make Francis favourite is pretty crazy, even if it wouldn't be surprising if he just lamped Stipe inside a round.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

lamped Stipe inside a round.

Betting on MMA is stupid as it is, heavyweight even more so to be honest.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He's going to hit stipe so hard the rocks fly out of stipes throat and stipe talks like the big bopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Please tell this story.

So, playing at the Aria, my friend is drunk and comes over and asks to sweat my hand (look at my cards) British guy says to me, "Hey when you're in a hand with me I'd appreciate it if your friend doesn't look at your cards" which is somewhat of an odd request but I'm just like whatever. My friend says "Why don't you shut the gently caress up?" at which point a loud verbal altercation started. Terry comes rushing over to defend his buddy, gets literally nose to nose with my friend telling him to go take a walk with him, etc etc. Other guy offers for all of us to go out to the parking garage. First words out of my mouth were "I'm just here to play poker." Security came and separated Terry and my friend but Terry was literally hawking him. A while later he gets moved to my poker table, immediately to my left, I apologized for the misunderstanding and we all joked and talked about MMA for the rest of the night.

• Locked thread