Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So the old thread has this problem where because ZDR deleted some posts, it bugs the gently caress out for 4 posts every page or so and it's really annoying!

Dragon Age is an RPG series. It has three entries: Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Everyone liked the first one, basically everyone hates the second one despite it being GAME OF THE DECADE DARKER SEXIER BETTER, third game played it real safe and is mostly better but GET OUT OF THE HINTERLANDS ASAP AND ALSO BUY THE TRESPASSER DLC or if you are still doing this just the GOTY edition or whatever they call it where you get all the DLCs. They're okay. Also we fight about how bad DA2 really was.

Rumors swirl of a fourth installment coming despite EA turbofucking the Bioware brand with DA2 and later Mass Effect: Andromeda. If rumors are to be believed the very very excellent Alexis Kennedy of Failbetter Games is writing stuff for Dragon Age 4, if it is really happening.

So let's all continue to have derails about whether or not DA2 was bad until the end of time, but without that annoying bug in the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

DA2 was good and more games should work with a smaller scope imho hth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a real rude dude posted:

DA2 was good and more games should work with a smaller scope imho hth

DA2 was actually terrible.
hth

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No.

quote:

and more games should work with a smaller scope imho hth

Yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Solas was right.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
iron bull is an annoying preachy :spergin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ugh its Troika posted:

iron bull is an annoying preachy :spergin:

gently caress Bull, imo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I like Sera and never recruit Cole.

Don’t @ me

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Anders was right. :colbert:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

omg chael crash posted:

I like Sera and never recruit Cole.

Don’t @ me

Cole, Bull and Sera were trash, especially Bull when the quinari trips his activation code in trespasser.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Unashamed DA2 Liker here

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't like playing a Reaver, felt too arcadey for my taste (not what i want in a crpg). Is there a class that feels more like playing DA1 (where you are issuing commands more than taking direct control and trying to do combos 3 hit combos with a finisher)?

*talmbout DA3 my b

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thank you for doing the needful shugo

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

I didn't like playing a Reaver, felt too arcadey for my taste (not what i want in a crpg). Is there a class that feels more like playing DA1 (where you are issuing commands more than taking direct control and trying to do combos 3 hit combos with a finisher)?

*talmbout DA3 my b

Mage maybe? Honestly pretty all the classes are pretty arcadey now but depending on how you spec mage, you can treat it as a "hang back and help your teammates" class.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DA2 was about $20 worth of good game and if you totally ignore sidequests it's probably even kinda great because the characters are the closest the series has come to an ME2 "killer roster". i think this is doable because i don't think much actual dialogue is locked behind maxing Friend/Rival; i think you only get actual combat benefits from that (and you can give merrill awesome white robes instead of the garbage bag she usually wears, but i think that happens if you gently caress her regardless of friend/rival status). in the same way you can give anders a cool emo outfit.

"gently caress everyone", in fact

i started replaying Inquisition finally, first time seriously playing with the DLC and the new skill options it gives you are nice

the "pause and then advance time at your own leisure" system is actually very good and cool and it's a shame you don't really need to ever do it, a better game should use that system (like, Pillars of Eternity would be amazing with an "advance time" button rather than the shitshow of trying to time your pausing/unpausing)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
DA2 was a great game ruined by an insanely short development cycle. The friendship/rivalry system provided for some of the most interesting party interaction options in a Bioware game and the small scale was a refreshing change of pace from incessant Save The Literal Entire loving World plots. Just some dude trying to do right by his family and his city. More of that please, just with an actual reasonable amount of time for development so that the ending isn't an oddly disjointed rush job and there isn't constant asset recycling.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

DA2 was a great game ruined by an insanely short development cycle. The friendship/rivalry system provided for some of the most interesting party interaction options in a Bioware game and the small scale was a refreshing change of pace from incessant Save The Literal Entire loving World plots. Just some dude trying to do right by his family and his city. More of that please, just with an actual reasonable amount of time for development so that the ending isn't an oddly disjointed rush job and there isn't constant asset recycling.

This guy knows whats up

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

3 years later and I’m still bitter that I have to hold a button to attack. It’s loving baffling and makes fighting feel like a slog — especially on a controller

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

3 years later and I’m still bitter that I have to hold a button to attack. It’s loving baffling and makes fighting feel like a slog — especially on a controller

you used to have to tap it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinistral posted:

Anders was right. :colbert:

Yes. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was the end boss changed? One of the bosses from the DLC felt much more like an end game boss(lol) than the one we got.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Was the end boss changed? One of the bosses from the DLC felt much more like an end game boss(lol) than the one we got.

The end bosses of the vanilla game are still meredith and what's his face from the mage's guild and it's still extremely dumb as poo poo

and I say this as a DA2 liker

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

The end bosses of the vanilla game are still meredith and what's his face from the mage's guild and it's still extremely dumb as poo poo

and I say this as a DA2 liker

No, no, I know that. (I sadly played it), I meant was the boss changed in development.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I wish they'd release smaller games every now and again, like a game on the fall of the elves for $30

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wish they'd release smaller games every now and again, like a game on the fall of the elves for $30

Call it Dragon Age Stories or something. Could do one about Loghain and Alistair's daddy having adventures.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Randaconda posted:

Call it Dragon Age Stories or something. Could do one about Loghain and Alistair's daddy having adventures.

Even doing little companion things a la Leliana's Song might be cool. Just, you know, make them better than Leliana's Song. I'd totally smuggle mages out of Kirkwall as Anders or annoy people as Sera for a few hours, if it were done well

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Jane posted:

Even doing little companion things a la Leliana's Song might be cool. Just, you know, make them better than Leliana's Song. I'd totally smuggle mages out of Kirkwall as Anders or annoy people as Sera for a few hours, if it were done well

I liked Leliana's Song :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
leliana's song was good

witch hunt was awful

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I liked the Witch Hunt companions

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

A post-Trespasser DLC with Sera and crossbow arm Inquisitor would be hella fun. Run around Val Royeaux loving with nobles.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

What bioware are good at though is the sort of China Meiville level of "there's loads of depth here that I'm just skirting over, but you know it's there". They did it when they did Forgotten Realms games, they did it with the Old Republic, they did it with Dragon Age and with Mass Effect.
When they're doing a small scale game like Dragon Age 2 you lose that. You need the world to have mysteries to bring the game along with it and DA2 doesn't have that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I would play the hell out of a "Loghain before he became an rear end in a top hat" dlc

gotta see how he got that ptsd

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

marshmallow creep posted:

gently caress Bull, imo.

:liara:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I finished Dragon Age:Orgins like a year ago but have no idea if i want to play the expansions or sequels since their so divisive. Which is weird, I liked Orgins pretty well but nobody seems to agree on the others.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think DA2 was a decent game that got a lot of hate.

1.Because the knights vs mage story was worse than the Grey Warden makes badass group to stop the Blight even though the latter was a lot more generic and standard.

2.UI in DA2 looked atrocious, really hated that whole simplistic aesthetic they went for.

3.The story mostly in one place compared to DAO where the story was played out through the entire world map so the sense of adventure was better in it. The "dungeons" were super simplistic and the layout/design was reused for most of them.

Although many people didn't enjoy the combat. I liked it even though it was not the same as Origins which was more d&d and required more pausing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ughhhh I am ready to be done with this game and banished the grey wardens and now the next story mission needs 40 power points and I just have nine meaning I have to spend a few hours grinding on quests that I passed up earlier for being too tedious.

Time to check Nexus for a nice mod that will let me bypass this horseshit :shepface:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ulio posted:

I think DA2 was a decent game that got a lot of hate.

1.Because the knights vs mage story was worse than the Grey Warden makes badass group to stop the Blight even though the latter was a lot more generic and standard.

2.UI in DA2 looked atrocious, really hated that whole simplistic aesthetic they went for.

3.The story mostly in one place compared to DAO where the story was played out through the entire world map so the sense of adventure was better in it. The "dungeons" were super simplistic and the layout/design was reused for most of them.

Although many people didn't enjoy the combat. I liked it even though it was not the same as Origins which was more d&d and required more pausing.

The storyline was better in the first one, as opposed to "Hawke & Co. destroy everything they touch."

The most annoying parts to me, however, was the console game combat and the loving same 3 dungeons and buildings used 9000 times apiece.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My review of the Dragon Age Series...

DA:O - pretty good!

DA2 - pretty bad!

DA3- ok I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xibanya posted:

Ughhhh I am ready to be done with this game and banished the grey wardens and now the next story mission needs 40 power points and I just have nine meaning I have to spend a few hours grinding on quests that I passed up earlier for being too tedious.

Time to check Nexus for a nice mod that will let me bypass this horseshit :shepface:

Go kill a couple dragons maybe? I think those give points?? It has been a while and I was too obsessively quest-y to ever need to care about ~ * power points * ~

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like the Dragon Age games and think there should be more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

I finished Dragon Age:Orgins like a year ago but have no idea if i want to play the expansions or sequels since their so divisive. Which is weird, I liked Orgins pretty well but nobody seems to agree on the others.

If you want to check out DA2 for cheap, subscribe to origin's subscriber access thingy for a month and you get access to it for free. I think a month's subscription is like $5, and you might get a free trial or something so if you decide you hate the game within a week, it costs you nothing