Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Torrannor posted:

Edit: I'm reading companion dialogue in the Dragon Age wiki. The conversations between Vivienne and Solas are just vicious, I love it.

I'm currently using the mod that let's everyone do every classes exploration interactions and running with Dorian/Vivienne/Solas and it's amazing. Constant snarking at each other with the odd conversation or two of Dorian and Vivi talking about missing creature comforts or Dorian and Solas discussing how much they enjoy being magic, then going back to arguing in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Sera is a good and fun companion and I’ll never get all the hate she gets.

Yeah, she grew on me too. My main playthrough Inquisitor even wound up marrying her and that was kinda heartwarming.

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm currently using the mod that let's everyone do every classes exploration interactions and running with Dorian/Vivienne/Solas and it's amazing. Constant snarking at each other with the odd conversation or two of Dorian and Vivi talking about missing creature comforts or Dorian and Solas discussing how much they enjoy being magic, then going back to arguing in the next one.

That sounds cool. What does it do exactly? You always get inter-party dialogue?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel like every time the main quest advances Josephine's chair gets bigger.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sera has three reasons why people don't like her:

1. Terrible introduction
2. Obnoxious attitude
3. Is a Rogue, a Rogue who isn't You, or the infinitely more interesting characters Varric and Cole, so why ever bring her?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cole is so much worse than Sera.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Hard Agree.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sera has three reasons why people don't like her:

1. Terrible introduction
2. Obnoxious attitude
3. Is a Rogue, a Rogue who isn't You, or the infinitely more interesting characters Varric and Cole, so why ever bring her?

4. Is a gay black Republican
5. Is the lesbian romance option (both from lesbians who hate her and from straight male gamers)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's been a while, but I found her jarring. And this utterly terrible poo poo accent, innit.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Her accent's just Derbyshire, it's not fake, and I don't think it's terribly fair to dislike the character for having an accent (although I admit my own dislike of Dorian is probably not innocent in that respect). I think it's Sera's dialogue being so terrible that brings her accent into disrepute.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cythereal posted:

I take that stuff to mean that Sera is natively a mage, but she is so repressed and hosed up in the head that she can't use her potential.

He even tricks her into seeing through the Breach at one point and she panics the entire time she’s in the Fade if you take her, complaining of voices. She’s a Mage that is too terrified to ever acknowledge her powers.

exquisite tea posted:

He’s weird and creepy, but otherwise okay. At least now that he’s figured out ways to help people beyond mercy kills.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

He’s weird and creepy, but otherwise okay. At least now that he’s figured out ways to help people beyond mercy kills.

I like that Cole wasn't forced into becoming a real boy, that his identity as a spirit was presented as just as valid as his identity as a human.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don't like Sera. Cole is forgettable, but not too annoying either.

Anyhow, I also didn't remember Ancient Rock Wraith could be this easy. Would have been even easier if I remember to use manual tactics (e.g. not have the AI waste haste in the beginning of the fight), but I'll take it. :smugdog:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Was english accent signifying character background done somewhere else than Sera and Orlais folks? I have terrible ear for them, so I could overlook it easily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

alex314 posted:

Was english accent signifying character background done somewhere else than Sera and Orlais folks? I have terrible ear for them, so I could overlook it easily.

A lot of places. Zevran and Josephine having Spanish accents to signify them being from Fantasy Spain, the accent of Dalish Elves being all Welsh and weird while the City Elves were more common sounding, etc.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

It's been a while, but I found her jarring. And this utterly terrible poo poo accent, innit.

That's what every single person talking about troubleshooting and PC specs sounds like in my head.

alex314 posted:

The Dwarves... are Canadian, eh?
Ferelden is England, so English accents there.
Orlais is France
The Dalish are Welsh or Irish.
The Avvar are... I forgot.
Not sure about Qunari.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Avvar are... I forgot.

I recall some Yorkshire accents there. Skywatcher sounds like my dad.

What about Cassandra? I can't place the Nevarran accent.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

eating only apples posted:

I recall some Yorkshire accents there. Skywatcher sounds like my dad.

What about Cassandra? I can't place the Nevarran accent.

Reddit says Prussian? Like German with French influence.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Smol posted:

I don't like Sera. Cole is forgettable, but not too annoying either.

What is his alliteration for, except to annoy?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

To sound spoooooooky.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They were going for otherworldly but missed the mark. Cole is pretty bad, but he's worth having around to see other characters react to his omniscient nonsense.

The only good companion is Varric. He deserves so much better than to be stuck with the Inquisition. My favorite bit of his is when he schools Solas on his paternalistic bullshit.

quote:

Solas: Is there at least a movement to reunite Orzammar and Kal-Sharok?
Varric: What is it with you, Chuckles? Why do you care so much about the dwarves?
Solas: Once, in the Fade, I saw the memory of a man who lived alone on an island. Most of his tribe had fallen to beasts or disease. His wife had died in childbirth. He was the only one left. He could have struck out on his own to find a new land, new people. But he stayed. He spent every day catching fish in a little boat, every night drinking fermented fruit juice and watching the stars.
Varric: I can think of worse lives.
Solas: How can you be happy surrendering, knowing it will all end with you? How can you not fight?
Varric: I suppose it depends on the quality of the fermented fruit juice.
Solas: So it seems.

Solas: You truly are content to sit in the sun, never wondering what you could've been, never fighting back.
Varric: Ha, you've got it all wrong, Chuckles. This is fighting back.
Solas: How does passively accepting your fate constitute a fight?
Varric: In that story of yours—the fisherman watching the stars, dying alone. You thought he gave up, right?
Solas: Yes.
Varric: But he went on living. He lost everyone, but he still got up every morning. He made a life, even if it was alone.
Varric: That's the world. Everything you build, it tears down. Everything you've got, it takes. And it's gone forever.
Varric: The only choices you get are to lie down and die or keep going. He kept going. That's as close to beating the world as anyone gets.
Solas: Well said. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 1, 2020

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Uh, Dorian is the best. Along with Blackwall.

and Sera.

Everyone else can go away.

Edit: But, really, Dorian is truly the best and he needs to return in the next game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dorian has his moments, but he's also a slavery apologist. No best boy for him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Dorian has his moments, but he's also a slavery apologist. No best boy for him.

A slavery apologist who still praises the Tevinter culture after his father tried to forcibly gay convert him using magic.

Cool dude, but it's like having a friend who's fun and witty and way into the same hobbies then shows up to a party in a MAGA hat and wants to debate people.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pentyne posted:

Cool dude, but it's like having a friend who's fun and witty and way into the same hobbies then shows up to a party in a MAGA hat and wants to debate people.

What I liked about him is that I don't think he every brings up any of this unless you ask him or unless he has a good reason like his father actively seeking him. Even with his personal quest I think he says just forget about it and you have to press him into resolving that conflict. If you don't inquire you'll never know about his views on Tevinter, him being child-free confirmed bachelor and thinking that slavery is not that bad. He's just a quirky fancy exotic mage unless you ask him. That's the difference between him and Sera: I think people who like her had really dug deep into her character. But on the surface she irritates many people. Not saying that one character is good and the other is bad, I like diverse roster.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dorian thinks slavery is cool entirely because he doesnt see a difference between it and having a peasant class. He brings up how just like a Magister can kill a slave with impunity, a nobleman in any other nation in Thedas can murder their peasants without anyone batting an eye.

You can argue with him about that and he will concede that maybe you are right, but wow. That conversation was certainly loving weird.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

PureRok posted:

Uh, Dorian is the best. Along with Blackwall.

Blackwall is great, and you should listen to his views on arrogant poshboy Dorian.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

He's not quite that bad. He does understand on a fundamental level that slavery is wrong, but he still corners himself into defending it because his brain was broken at a very young age and he's still in the midst of the long, hard processes of unfucking his world view. He'll probably get there at some point, but as of DAI he's not there yet.

KittyEmpress posted:

Dorian thinks slavery is cool entirely because he doesnt see a difference between it and having a peasant class. He brings up how just like a Magister can kill a slave with impunity, a nobleman in any other nation in Thedas can murder their peasants without anyone batting an eye.

You can argue with him about that and he will concede that maybe you are right, but wow. That conversation was certainly loving weird.

That conversation, and argument, is ripped directly from the lips of every slave owner in history. "Slaves are better off than the working poor because I—their master—must take good care of them so they can profit me!" It's an argument as common as it is patently bullshit.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Skippy McPants posted:

That conversation, and argument, is ripped directly from the lips of every slave owner in history. "Slaves are better off than the working poor because I—their master—must take good care of them so they can profit me!" It's an argument as common as it is patently bullshit.

He also talks about how a poor person can become a slave and not starve. What not to like!

Seriously though I quite like this talk. He reminds you that you aren't first-world Earthling talking about how slavery is bad. You are a character in a fantasy world. Dwarves have castes (you can play as mafia dwarf and some lore book talks about how in modern days caste system pushes lower class dwarves into organized crime), humans mostly rely on inhumane feudalism and subjugate elves, qunari have their own strange thing. Of course, it's still essentially "you criticize capitalism but you use iPhone" argument. But I like his whataboutism and all the talk about how you too have slavery, you're just too afraid to call it what it is, and sometimes our honest slavery is even better.

In that regard, he somewhat reminds me of Durance character from Pillars of Eternity. Both characters are good take on your usual exotic character - priest and someone not from Fantasy Western Europe. They both have views that are hardly compatible with player's view point but not outlandish in the world itself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

In a way, Dorian is right to point out the hypocrisy there. But it's annoying the writers weren't willing to engage with the ideas any deeper then "slavery is bad".
Because when Dorian said: "Some slaves are treated poorly, it's true. But do you honestly think inescapable poverty is better?" and then the dialogue option of "At least they have a choice." popped up, I really wanted to go tell the whole writing team to go gently caress themselves.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Reddit says Prussian? Like German with French influence.

That....is not what a prussian sounds like. You might be thinking of Alsace? Prussia is the east of Germany, the extremely German bit. OR the baltic tribes I guess if you wanna go mad.

Cassandra just sounds vaguely german to me I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Cassandra's VA is just an English actress trying to affect a general German-English accent. Her dental consonants and /v/s are probably a bit too perfect to ever mistake for a native German speaker though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Skippy McPants posted:

I’d say that, historically, BioWare is pretty good at twists.

The Blackwall reveal is good because there’s no mitigating factors or softening the blow. You just have to exist in this new world where you know he did that horrible thing.

Edit: and man, that reminds me how loving awesome the judgement scenes in DAI are. For all it’s faults there is a lotta great stuff in that game.

Leiliana: I am glad Blackwall is here. Even if he is... not what I expected.

Good twists are ones where the clues are small enough that you ignore them or think they're just flavor the first time through but big enough that you think they're obvious and get some nice dramatic irony the second time through. I think both blackwall and solas (apparently there's still people just now discovering the game) qualifies.

Also I'm just now getting to the point where I need to pick a specialization and I can't decided between Artificer and Assassin for my Archer build. (I played Tempest DW before and am well aware of how bonkers it is. I've never done archer of any kind.) People always say Assassin is for Archers and Tempest is for Dual blades and ignore artificer entirely but someone way earlier off-handedly mentioned that Artificer Archer has the best DPS in the game with the right build. Can someone explain the two and how to be most effective with them more clearly for me?

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 1, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ignore the haters, artificer is fun. Throw multicoloured grenades everywhere! Launch your enemies vertically upwards with upgraded spike traps! Way more entertaining than throwing knives at people.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also I'm just now getting to the point where I need to pick a specialization and I can't decided between Artificer and Assassin for my Archer build. (I played Tempest DW before and am well aware of how bonkers it is. I've never done archer of any kind.) People always say Assassin is for Archers and Tempest is for Dual blades and ignore artificer entirely but someone way earlier off-handedly mentioned that Artificer Archer has the best DPS in the game with the right build. Can someone explain the two and how to be most effective with them more clearly for me?

Artificer

Artificer has some flashy tools but the real clincher is this passive:
Opportunity Knocks: Reduces cooldown timers whenever you or a party member crits.

Combo this with the Sabotage tree ability:
Looked Like It Hurt: Restores stamina whenever you crit.

Once you have some crit gear, use these with multi-hit abilities and you will never run out of stamina or be on cooldown. Use the free stamina to throw more bombs for fun.

Assassin

The key Assassin passives are
I Was Never Here: Resets stealth cooldown whenever you kill an enemy.
Knife In The Shadows: All attacks made from stealth automatically crit.

So as you can infer the class is based around getting free crit kills so you can re-stealth and get more free crit kills. Obviously you're going to want Stealth from the Subterfuge tree to take advantage of this, as well as any sort of passive bonus to flanking damage. For non-elite groups the main ability is Hidden Blades with the AoE upgrade. The game does not tell you this but Hidden Blades is also a combo detonator, which means Assassins can self-combo with Knockout Bomb into Hidden Blades. For single elite targets you have several hard-hitting archery abilities to choose from, and of course Mark of Death as a final damage multiplier.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Played around with Cole and Varric and I think I'm going to go with artificer. Its a lot more fun to zip around the battlefield like spiderman than stay in one place and stealth all the time i think.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dorian and Blackwall are like the two decent characters in this game. So I'll forgive Dorian a lot. (Solas is interesting but I don't think he's all that likeable. Varric is of course Varric but it feels not being Hawke.)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Played around with Cole and Varric and I think I'm going to go with artificer. Its a lot more fun to zip around the battlefield like spiderman than stay in one place and stealth all the time i think.

My run with an Assassin character had me zipping all over the battlefield, entering stealth anywhere and everywhere, and coming out with a dual strike for thousands of crit damage. It was hella fun.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Grundulum posted:

My run with an Assassin character had me zipping all over the battlefield, entering stealth anywhere and everywhere, and coming out with a dual strike for thousands of crit damage. It was hella fun.

Yeah but I'm playing an archer not DW.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going through Emerald Graves trying to wrap up Cullen's mission and ran into three giants and a goddamn dragon. There are giant bears here too so I'm trying to see if there's a way to sneak through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I actually like most of the characters in this game.

I love Cassandra and Varric

Solas is super interesting for his world view.

Cole is very unique and cool.

The Iron Bull is the best take on the 'Strong party dude' trope in ages.

Dorian is somehow both cool and lovely which feels intentional, he's someone just escaping an abusive place and he's not fully ready to say 'yeah its rear end'

Blackwall's twist is cool but the rest of him is pretty boring.

The only companions I pointedly don't like are Vivienne and Sera, and even Sera becomes a lot more tolerable in Trespasser.